Smallville

Devoted

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 13, 2004 on The CW

• this was a good ep

in this ep of the show smallville clark goes and want to join the football team and he does and goes and becomes starting quaterback and thing is him and louis find out that the cheerlearders are dumping krptonight in the water and making the football players become controlled by the girls and so clark and louis must put a stop to it before things get out of hand this was a good ep i thougt and very interesting and that is why i gave the show 9 instead of anyting lower becasuse of a interesting story and it had some funny parts in it
  • Cheerleaders take over the football squad by spiking their Gatorade with moon rock juice. Chloe shows her more feminine side when she dons a Crows cheerleader uniform and changes the face of cheerleading forever.

This was another Freak of the Week episode. But Chloe was so funny in her "devoted to you" phase that it was worth the watch. The cheerleader bit was great! She made the episode fun to watch. Lois comes across very brassy which makes her hard to like. She's definitely not Teri Hatcher.
  • A perfect mixture of exciting fights and sexy scenes....

A bunch of crazy cheerleaders create this kyrptonite based love potion so they could conrtol their men. Now I think it's really obvious that if cheerleaders and science mix the results would be catastrophic. The victoms who drank this potion included Chloe and Jason and it's up to Clark and Lois to save the day. Original storyline, non stop action with great scenes and very funny moments. Chloe was a hoot in this episode. Not only did she make a fool of herself but she also told Clark how she felt. Jason and Lana want to keep their relationship a secret and Lex Luthor works hard to win back Clark's friendship. This episode was brilliantly written. The writers aren't afraid to take risks. It's obvious that the show is kept simple. Clark loves Lana, Lana loves Jason and Chloe has a crush on Clark. Not complicated,very obvious and it's been this way for a while and that is a good thing. A show being able to stay consistent in it's storylines and still manage to make the episodes great is a show worth watching. It's also great that the Lois/Clark storyline isn't being rushed. In conclusion I think this episode was really fun to watch. As a critic I would describe it as proof to what this show can accomplish...simplicty storyline wise but greatness in the way every aspect is set out. As a fan I would say, I freakin loved it !!!!
  • SHS football players become love slaves to "Cheerleaders gone wild," and not much else, but it's fun to watch the cast enjoying fall sports. Lois helps Clark counter the effects of a meteor-based love-potion, with Chloe as one of the victims.

High school football season is here, along with a loud rock track to add to the excitement of idol-worshiping cheerleaders spiking their heroes' gatorade with meteor juice. This makes them into love slaves, and one player is sidetracked enough to open up an opportunity for Clark to show his quarterback stuff on the field. Jason's mere glance at one cheerleader moves her boyfriend to 'roid rage with a shotgun, and Clark appears in the locker room just in time to push Jason out of the line of fire. This is different - we don't usually see the heroics in the opening sequence, but it's not very promising for a story.

Somehow Jason avoids medical treatment for his superficial pellet wound, waiting until that evening for Lana to patch it up. Maybe he was busy giving statements to the police about the attempted murder. They're still hiding their relationship - teacher dates student and all - and his father has cut off his funding. When Clark and Lois see the players waiting hand and cleat on the cheerleading squad, she quips, "Are we in a freakish parallel feminist universe?" Lois is still trying to get into Met U., and it's even more amusing to hear both her and Chloe comment on Clark's letter jacket, which are "not exactly your colors." Lois gets all the hilarious lines in this episode, and they're so good they should be enshrined over the entry door to Smallville High.

Lex presents the team with new jerseys, and drops by the locker room to receive their thanks, but Clark sees this as an attempt by Lex to buy back his friendship. When Chloe gets a sip of meteor mixer, the first one in her sight is the new heart-throb, and that's Clark. Chloe drops the murder story off on Lois, who protests, "I'm busy trying to get out of Mayberry." Chloe realizes she was not "devoted" to Clark, and Lois moves on in a huff to cover the pompon beat, but she's put off by ones-who-are-sassier-than-her.

At the loft, Clark is surprised to find a very come-hither Chloe, so this would be a good time for Clark to exhibit superspeed. We don't see how he got rid of her - next morning he talks it over with Martha, admitting he's not over Lana.

Chloe assumes a cheerleader role, so she can be supportive of Clark all the time. "Oh, my god," Lois exclaims, "she's taken the fast train to Stepford." Clark drinks krypton-ade, which has the usual weakening effect on him, and his teammates beat him up good on the field. Jealous Jason, having seen Clark talking to Lana, shows up at the loft to beat up on Clark that evening, interrupted by Lex. He sees Clark bleeding and beaten, so that's a good thing for Clark's secrets. Lex has brought all his files on Clark, hoping for a restoration of friendship with Clark to stave off the darkness that comes upon him. Lois discovers the love molecule, wondering why Chloe has gone "Martha Stewart without the jail time," another great line. She sets Clark up at a team-cheerleader pool party to get the antidote, but when Chloe attacks her in a jealous rage, we all discover that heat cancels the potion's effects, and Chloe is herself again. As the team threatens them, Clark uses heat-vision to fracture a steam pipe, and everyone is back to normal.

Clark drops in to see Lex, confirming that the investigation is over - Lex offers another chance at friendship, so Clark asks for help with Lois.

In a cliffhanger football game, quarterback Clark has to throw a "Hail Mary" to win the game in the final seconds. Prayer answered. It's almost an normal life for Clark as he enjoys the accolades from his team for a 60-yard pass. Chloe congratulates him, confessing that, even though she was potion-addled, she still has feelings for him, but Clark is honest - he does not feel that way about her. She is disappointed, but resigned, for now. As to that help from Lex, it seems he used his influence at Met U. to get Lois admitted - she's leaving Smallville High. She's happy, Clark is happy - if only he knew he was sending her on the next step towards her career - we know their paths will intersect soon, and that's the fun of this scene.

"Devoted" has the weakest, most trivial plot of any Smallville episode to date, but it has a boatload of snappy lines by Lois, and for once, only one major plot line to track, so it's not bad to watch at all. The cast seems to be having fun with their high school outing, so we do, too. Re-run rating C+.
  • Hopelessly devoted...

1.9
    Oh dear, another jock infested outing. Maybe it's down to the fact I'm not American, but this adulation towards football crosses the line of corny into craziness. Watching Chloe degrade herself to a new, almost Lana-low standard is a rather pathetic attempt at comedy, compromising character for the sake of a cheap laugh. Top it all off with an extremely awkward scene involving Lois attempting to steal something while Clark is having sex with some girl and you have all the subtle humour of an Elephant trying to sneak through a glass shop with its eyes closed. Enough of the Football crap! Allison Mack gives a good performance towards episode's end, which saves it from being entirely pointless.
  • More like "Annoyed"

Devoted-Clark decides to join the football team over Jonathan's wishes and gets the starting quarterback position when his predecessor attacks Jason over a girl. Clark and Lois investigate and discover that the cheerleaders are using kryptonite in the team's water supply to turn them into obedient mindless boyfriends.

It has been said by the writers that after a dark 3rd year, they want to follow-up with a light hearted and fun 4th season. To bad the majority of the time, this concept fails and there are way too many ridiculous fillers like this one. "Devoted" plays out like a straight to dvd teen comedy, without the upside of returning it after you rent it! Who in the world thought it would make for an interesting episode with brainless cheerleaders creating kryptinade (I'm serious!) for their football boyfriends to drink and be their willing servants? All the cheerleading guest stars are awful in their roles (not that there was much of a roles to begin with) and their football player boyfriend are even worse as they are just stand-ins! The only part of the storyline that's interesting was the opening teaser where one of the football players try to kill Jason and Clark comes into for an impressive save.

Despite that there are some nice developments in this episode hard to believe. It's nice to see Lex trying to mend the rift in their friendship after their fallout in "Covenant". Even if Clark and Lex's future rivalry is inevitable, it still nice to see this characters as friends and trying to keep that relationship. Lois continues to be very entertaining as Chloe makes her a reporter for the Torch. Lois has some hilarious scenes with her trying to investiagte, especially when she makes some witty comments towards the cheerleaders when she confronts them. Also, Allison Mack is hilarious when Chloe becomes..uhhh.. devoted to Clark. The scene in the barn where she's wearing Clark's jersey and seduces him is too priceless. Yet I hated when Jason got infected and beat the crap out of Clark. That scene just annoyed me! Despite some nice humor and witty scenes, "Devoted" is can be completely overlooked and it as bland as the kryptonite induced drinks!
  • Clark and Lois find that the cheerleaders spiked the football players' drinks with a kryptonite-enhanced love potion, making them devoted to their girlfriends. When Chloe takes a sip, she quits the Torch, deciding to devote herself to Clark instead.

During football practice, Mandy the cheerleader gives Dan, her jock boyfriend, a bottle of green liquid that makes him instantly devoted to her. However, Dan mistakenly perceives Coach Teague checking out Mandy and tries to kill him, but Clark steps in and saves the assistant coach. The next day, Lois and Clark notice the rest of the jocks behaving strangely, obediently carrying the cheerleaders' books and purses, and soon discover that the cheerleaders have been spiking their boyfriends' drinks with a kryptonite-enhanced love potion. When both Jason and Chloe sip from the spiked drinks, they each suffer its effects, with Jason trying to kill Clark after seeing him with Lana, and Chloe quitting the Torch to be Clark's personal cheerleader. Meanwhile, Lex hands over the file he kept on Clark in an attempt to win Clark's friendship, and Lois gets accepted into Met U, thanks to Lex.

OK, love potion definitely beats plastic surgery, but of course, there's the drawback of an overly-jealous, homicidal significant other. That aside, I enjoyed the story, the Clois banter, and Chloe's out-of-character moments, earning this episode a perfect ten. I'm not too keen on the Jason/Lana relationship, though, but I'm willing to forgive it for this ep at least since 1) I liked Jason's remarks after the attempt on his life, and 2) I see the majority of the Jason/Lana moments as just furthering the whole love potion storyline.

Highlights: Dan drinking the love potion; Clark saving Jason; Lana bandaging Jason's wound; Lois arriving at school and arguing with Clark; the jocks finding the new uniforms Lex bought; Jason and Chloe drinking the love potion; Lois's interaction with Mandy and the cheerleaders; Chloe wearing Clark's jersey; Clark's separate conversations with his parents; Chloe showing up to football practice in a cheerleading outfit; Lois and Clark sharing notes on the jocks' strange behavior; Lois sending Clark after Mandy so as to get the love potion antidote; Lois, Clark, and Chloe fending off Mandy and the football players; Clark and Chloe conversing on the football field; and Lois saying goodbye to Clark.
  • Great Episode

The cheerleaders of the Crows prepare a beverage with kryptonite that makes the soccer players extremely devoted and in love for them. Chloe Sullivan drinks the love potion and harasses Clark Kent, while coach Jason Teague becomes absolutely jealous of Clark. Meanwhile, Lex Luthor tries to retrieve the friendship of Clark Kent. Clark and Lois investigate and uncover the truth, and the key to removing the trance. "Devoted" is a great episode of Smallville and dedicated in the memory of Christopher Reeve. Chloe discloses her love for Clark, and Lex is fighting to be his friend again. Clark Kent is becoming a leader of his team.
  • Funny Episode.

This episode is hardly spectacular, but it is very enjoyable, and has a ton of funny parts throughout, which makes it enjoyable enough for me to give it a pretty high rating.

The plot, is basically that the cheerleaders (or "The Pom Pom Squad", which either Chloe or Lois said in the episode) are spiking the footballer's water coolers with a love potion, infused with Kryptonite, that makes everyone who drinks it, act crazy or jealous when someone talks to the person they like, resulting in the coach getting shot at, and Clark being beaten half to death.

So the plot isn't that great, but it has enough enjoyable parts to make me like it so much, Chloe being one of them. As usual Allison Mack is excellent in this episode, and made me laugh several times, especially when Chloe went all cheerleader because of the Kryptonite infused water. Lois, was again entertaining, as was Clark, who seemed to enjoy being the new quarterback, even though his peers didn't fully accept him as the starting player until the end of the episode. All in all, this was an entertaining episode, that is great fun to re-watch.
  • i love it.

I love it when Clark gets up and runs behind Los and chloe to get away from the girl but i really love it when she comes back in the some guys and then Hot Clark steps in front of them... i loved it, How he can go from runing behind them but when trouble show up he is being a hero...
  • Great episode.

Despite Jonathan's objections, Clark decides to join the football team. Clark and Lois investigate the cheerleaders and they discover that the girls are lacing the team's water supply with Kryptonite so they can turn the guys into obedient slaves. This is a really exciting episode. This is a really fun episode, the people end up acting like idiots once they are possessed by the Kryptonite laced drinks. The acting for the silly situations are so funny. When Chloe acts out a crazy cheerleader wannabee, she looks so hilarious. The actors did a good job making this episode funny and interesting.
  • Everyone has very good lines. You will be sorry if you miss this. That's why they say "Laughter is the best medicine".

This episode is special to me.

Why? Because I laughed my heart out loud! To think I was alone in my room, watching at 12midnight! This was a different Smallville, and a welcome change at that. Not your ordinary, dark, serious episode, it’s comical and very entertaining. It has a lot of good lines that will make you either giggle or laugh out loud. You may find yourself saying “Whoa! That was a good one!”.

Am only starting to watch Season 4 and I think I will definitely enjoy it.
  • Cheerleaders creating a love molecule and spiking gatorade with meteror rock(Kryptonite)so their Footballing playing Bf can be their love slaves .

3.7
    With devasting "roid rage ' i.e. insane jealosly after effects on the persons drinking the spiked drink.Clark and Lois must stop this fiendish plotplot.This is pure camp a throwaway episode and something you expect to see or in the 60s comic books of Superman.
    I thought I was watching Beverly Hills 90210 , I know Clark is in high school but there wasnt any good sub plots , no Lex , no Lionel.

You arent missing much if you skip this episode,but I admit it is good for a laugh for the absudity of the plot.Don\\\\\\\'t look for all action, intrigue character development like the recent \\\\\\\"zod\\\\\\\" episode for the sixth season opener.
  • Devoted

This episode is somehow cool, cheerleaders begins to use water with kryptonite in order to control their boyfriends, and Clark manages to get out the control of one, when Jason sees Clark talking to Lana, he gets jealous and tries to kill him with a gun, later on things get even worse when the cheerleaders have a party and Clark is forced to go, and Chloe gets to drink the same things which causes her to go on to Clark again... it was a cool episode!
  • These cheereleaders create a love milecule.

This episode is a great series classic because its so freakin hot because chloe finally made a big move on clark only wearing his jersey i want a girl to be devoted to me i'll just give a girl pretending that its gatorade but its really the love mollecule and then but its not real love so nevermind this is so worth watching and so worth one hour and it was so awsome when that guy was going to kill the coach because he was jelouse then clark saves him with his heat vision and when lois kicked chloe's ass.
  • This episode was absolutely HILARIOUS!

I loved this episode! I was rolling on the floor laughing! Chloe as a cheerleader! HAHAHA! And coming onto Clark in his barnyard loft... what a hottie. Well acted by Allison Mack. Bravo!

Lois' lines were absolutely hilarious as well. Just to be clear, I'll state for the record that I was not very happy when they brought Lois into Smallville. It has nothing to do with Erica Durance because I think she is great. It has to do with the fact that Clark and Lois aren't supposed to meet until he is already Superman and has moved to Metropolis. That being said, Erica Durance almost, almost, made me change my mind. She brings some needed levity and fun to the show.

Between her and Chloe, they had me in tears of laughter.
  • Quite good

This episode was sexy wiht clhoe and the cheerleaders.

Clark joins the football team, and while I'm not a football fan, I'm interested. Many things happen in this episode, but I'll only discuss the reasons why I felt this episode was exciting.

First: Jason is very nice to Clark, Clark then saves Jason's life having no idea that Jason is Lana's boyfriend, and then Jason drinks the "Love Gatorade". All of a sudden he is EVIL. He doesn't care about Clark when he's very ill, and instead beats up Clark (at a moment when Clark is his most vulnerable). Jason mentions that Clark had better stay away from "his girl" (Lana), and Clark confronts Jason about this later. Who is his girl? Jason lies deliberately to Clark, and says that he doesn't know who he was talking about! If that doesn't make you excited, then the drama part of Smallville isn't for you.

Second: Chloe, well, you have to love the sweet girl. She can't help loving Clark. No matter what. But bringing up the topic again, while it may seem like it would be repetitive, was perfect, because it really prepares viewers for understanding Chloe's feelings later on this season. The writers protrayed this perfectly, and the ending scene, where Clark tried to gently repeat to Chloe that he doesn't love her (well, I think he actually does, just maybe not in THAT way), was wonderful! And Allison Mack is a wonderful actress- she was obviously on the verge of tears, which was fitting to the moment.

Third: When Clark is hurt by kryptonite like that- doesn't that just make you're adrenaline pump like wild?! I know it does for me. And it gave the chance for Jason to beat up Clark: classic.

Fourth: Lex, of course, is there to become a friend again for Clark, and tries to sincerely help Clark when he's hurt. Clark refuses to go to a doctor, and miraculously heals in front of Lex's face. When Lex says the stuff about the darkness within him, well, every "Smallville" fan's nerves had to have been on end. And Lex seems to sincerely (I know I keep using that word, but it fits) want to maintain his friendship with Clark, and give up the investigation.

All in all, I loved this episode!

• There's love in the drink...

I liked this episode. Quite a bit, actually. It featured some of the best acting of the season, some of the best character interaction of the season, and finally brought to the surface many of the question marks that the last few episodes, if not seasons, have spawned.

For example, has Chloe gotten over Clark? Certainly not. And while her behavior is certainly explained by the "devoted potion", Chloe is at least responsible enough to confront Clark about it. And Clark, thanks to the always-dependable advice from Martha, tells her the truth. Clark and Chloe's final scene was terrific and really was a foreshadow of the great interaction to come between Welling and Mack.

The scenes with Clark and Lois were exceptional. They really showed the potential these two characters, and actors, had at "being a team". I really wish the show would utilize this pair more although I agree that Clark has many more things to take care of before finding Lois. Whatever the case, the two work well together, and this episode shows me the immense potential between the two of them.

While Clark and Lex resolved their differences in this episode, we can still see the damage done. There will always be a bit of tension between them now -- a friendly hesitance at the start that later festers into hostility (Season 5). The two may have "made up", but the damage has been done.

As for the episode storyline, I thought it was interesting -- actually, at times, engrossing. I loved the Lois-investigation aspect to the episode, and I also liked how Clark was used to "find the truth". Great comedic scene between Clark, the cheerleader, and Lois. Great stuff.

Finally, I liked the chemistry between Lana and Jason. These two worked well together, and I really thought that Jensen Ackles brought out the best in Kristin Kreuk (that is, during the somewhat comedic first half of their relationship). Kreuk seems much more comfortable around Ackles, and her work shows it.

Luke Schelhaas was a good writer, generally underrated by fans. And while there was a basic storyline to each episode he wrote, he focused on the interactions the most, and this is appreciated (by this fan). He often focused more on the comedic side of things, but he also brought some poignant "facts" to the forefront. This would especially be evident in his future episode "Bound". Smallville has suffered in a small way since his departure.
  • Clark wins the big game.

Lois always has something to say to Clark or have a comment about everyting. Chloe don't stop being a journalist...cheerleading isn't your thing. Money can't buy friendship Lex, Clark will remind you on that. Seeing Clark in a bathing suite can make anyone be devolted to him. Everyone will miss you Lois in Smallville, well maybe not everyone. Please vist.
  • Football Crazy!

Clark (Tom Welling) joins the football team at school and is immediately given the starting quarterback position after the old quarterback starts a fight with new coach Jason (Jensen Ackles). Curious about the behavior change in his old teammate, Clark and Lois (Erica Durance) investigate and discover that the cheerleaders are poisoning the teams' water with kryptonite, turning the players into Stepford-like boyfriends.
    Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, John Glover, Annette O'Toole and John Schneider also star. David Carlson directed the episode written by Luke Schelhaas.
  • What is with the absurdly exaggerated verbal mannerisms, facial expressions, and body movements in Season 4 ? Somehow I find it hard to believe that a 3 month summer hiatus between junior and senior highschool would cause anyone to change in such a drasti

Okay, perhaps its because I've watched the first three seasons in a marathon of viewing over the last several weeks, and have not seen the characters' mannerisms change all THAT much thru *THREE ENTIRE SEASONS*, to see the grossly out-of-whack behaviour during the first few episodes of season 4 is ridiculous. What, did the producers hire an entirely new writing staff? Did they threaten to replace the actors or cancel the show if they didn't start emulating the more lurid and soap-opera style acting from the OC ? Oh, what TV execs will do for ratings.. Jeezus. This show is devolving into Fox-network teen soap territory. Hello, 90210.

• So the football team is infected with kryptonite and Chloe starts acting possesive over clark.

When Chloe drinks the Kryptonite infected water she become an open person and open about her feeling of clark and joins cheerleading. Chloe hits on Clark in his loft and the next day lois and clark talk about Chloe and how she is acting all weird. It's funny the part when clark starts tomake out with the cheerleader so that Lois can get her purse to figure out the cure and their making out on top of everything. When the cheerleader takes off Clark's shirt and it falls on lois she's like eww! and to think she was the one with the idea and poor clark had to make out with a pycho cheerleader.
  • While the Krypto-love potion storyline may not make the episode perfect, all in all the episode was great!

All in all, I loved this episode!
  • So cheerleader want to control their boyfriends, it up to clark to save the day again

7.2
    So another filler episode however unlike the last one this one was an unique story-line even if it’s a rip-off Stepford story, don’t u think it funny that when Clark becomes a football player this happened? Still I really try not to take this wrong way why is it women want to control guys? It really annoys me. Let not make a big deal about it.

Chloe, I can’t help feel so bad for her and I liked the fact she told Clark she still feels something for him, please I hope this thing doesn’t continue why don’t writers give her boyfriend she can be happy. I’m slowly getting bored of her longing for Clark. However she did look good in Clark’s jersey didn’t she?

Now Clark taking the drink, unless I’m mistaken but lead the only protection against kryptonite so how comes when Clark pour liquid into cup his hand didn’t react to it? No matter how diluted it is, it’s still Kryptonite so it should of reacted. However it shows Lex that Clark is normal. I’m glad they are friends again and what a nice thing for Lois to get her into college. So she will not be in Smallville high.

What with Lois, is it just me but in last 4 episodes Lois has kicked somebody in every episode, I’m slowly seeing a pattern, I think she has compulsion to get into fight so she can beat them up.

In the next episode we meet the Flash.

• A good episode of season 4.

One of the better episodes in season 4 of Smallville. Although not much happens with the overall Smallville plot, there is some good character development. This is probably the best episode of season 4 with Lois in it. Not a wonderful episode plot. This is one of the few episodes in Smallville that you can watch and understand if you have never seen Smallville before.