TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Character (writer) selective amesia of previous plot points...

shad0hrealm

[1]May 2, 2010
    • level: 6

Ok, let me start by saying I continually choose and love shows that repeat this phenomenon, so I guess for me it isn't a show killer but it does make the differentiation between a really well conceived show with a major arc that delivers lots of "WOW, I remember when they set up this event from 3 years ago", from the shows that seem to stumble beyond year 1 or 2 because they apparently were surprised to still be on the air.

Lost you yet ? Ok, I get completely frustrated by the ability for a main character to be involved in a major plot point - usually defeating something / someone evil (or even suffering a loss themselves) directly attributable to a new skill, bit part character, or circumstance, that amazingly is completely forgotten when presented with the same or similar issue one season further on. Of course, my intellectual side can identify the reason for this "amnesia" as being helpful to the writers drag another story arc for a dozen or so episodes against a new Big Bad. Again that same intellectual side says "Please don't treat me as stupid".

So with that ramble, how is it that Zod and the Kandoreans managed to dominate humanity in the future episodes, or even Zod in the present where Lana is now the perfect weapon against them ? I know Kristen Kreuk has left the show, but that doesn't mean her character also disappears from the Smallville world. Where we left her last she was off to play her part in protecting the world...

I guess valid possibilities are that Lana is unaware since Zod's plan for world domination appears to start and end at the city limits of metropolis, and that Lana is living under a rock and doesn't have a current subscription to world news...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]May 2, 2010
    • level: 102
    As far as future scenarios... or Lana fought back and they killed her, hitting her from a dozen directions at once with super-speed and super-strength at one time, before her kryptonite aura could stop them. Or that her powers eventually expired. Or that the powers of the as-yet-undefined Book of Rao allowed Zod to depower her/kill her from range/make himself immune to kryptonite.

Lana doesn't know about Zod in the present, yet, and Clark has no way to contact her.

Since the show and storylines are subject to reality, Kristen Kreuk leaving the show does mean that her character disappears from the Smallville world. Unless they can convince her to come back, or "pull a Lex," as it were. They can toss off a line of dialogue explaining why she doesn't show up, but some characters are perhaps better off left forgotten, when it's clear the character can't come back when reality intrudes.

KingofIPirates

[3]May 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    Gislef wrote:
    Lana fought back and they killed her, hitting her from a dozen directions at once with super-speed and super-strength at one time, before her kryptonite aura could stop them.
    Maybe that would work in the comics but the Kryptonians in Smallville are so fragile when it comes to Kryptonite exposure that even the smallest amounts almost always stops them in their tracks.

Now if they used multiple sustained blasts of Heat Vision from afar or freezing breath that would work.
    Gislef wrote:
    Or that her powers eventually expired.
    That's unlikely as Lex confirmed that Clark would never be able to come near Lana ever again.

Gislef

[4]May 2, 2010
    • level: 102
    It doesn't matter how fragile they are. If they're traveling at the speeds necessary to be effectively invisible, momentum means they hit her faster than the radiation stops them. I don't think kryptonite has been shown to rob a Kryptonian of that kind of momentum the second it hits them.

And kryptonite has had different effects on Clark throughout the years anywhere, from momentarily making him hesitate to full debilitation.

Lex, or anyone else, couldn't predict all the thousands of variations that would happen to Lana in the future. It's not like the writers haven't changed a stated on-screen concept in the past, so that something else is stated.

The point is, there are a dozen reasons that Lana might not be involved. The only real choice is, since the actress won't or can't appear on the show, whether the writers "hang a lantern" and provided a reason on-screen in a throwaway line of dialogue, about a character that many viewers would rather forget anyway, or if they just figure it's better not to acknowledge the off-screen circumstances that cause the on-screen occurrence.

KingofIPirates

[5]May 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    Gislef wrote:
    It doesn't matter how fragile they are. If they're traveling at the speeds necessary to be effectively invisible, momentum means they hit her faster than the radiation stops them. I don't think kryptonite has been shown to rob a Kryptonian of that kind of momentum the second it hits them.
    But Lana herself has superspeed as well so attempting to blitz her would almost surely backfire as she could keep up with their assaults all the time weakening them while increasing their exposure time.

And given that Zod and Clark had to resort to Ranged Attacks in their attempt to defeat John Corben (who doesn't nearly have enough kryptonite radiation to take out half a city) implies they wouldn't have been able to land a hit on him even with superspeed.

that70sshow2000

[6]May 3, 2010
    • level: 15
    The writers deciding to turn Lana into Super Lana has definitely had negative consequences to the story in more ways than one. As several people have already said over the last year on this forum, it's not like Lois is Clark's runner-up. He's only not with Lana because he physically can't be. Second, as you said in your OP, it makes no sense why Super Lana is out there and not helping defeat Zod and army. She has one up on Clark: She isn't affected by green rock, yet where is she?

Remember that spiel she gave to Clark in their goodbye scene? "I now know my purpose in life and what I need to do." To SAVE/PROTECT people/the world. Uhhhh, where are you then Super Lana? Huh?

I swear, she probably decided that life mission wasn't for her after all and went to find Bizarro.

Enthropii

[7]May 4, 2010
    • level: 23
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    I swear, she probably decided that life mission wasn't for her after all and went to find Bizarro.

LOL. I bet if the writers were reading this, they'd develop that concept for a spin-off.

"Bizarro Love: THe new Adventures of Lana and Bizarro".

MarWash

[8]May 4, 2010
    • level: 31

Enthropii wrote:
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    LOL. I bet if the writers were reading this, they'd develop that concept for a spin-off. "Bizarro Love: THe new Adventures of Lana and Bizarro".
    more like... Bizana: for the love of Krypton.

Enthropii

[9]May 4, 2010
    • level: 23

Sick.