Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Did Clark's Human Education Slow The Growth Of His Powers?

tolkien3791

[21]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 7
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:
    Howdoes Clarks "fear or heights" come into play with this whole flight issue? Okay I get it...Smallville is nothing like the superman mythos...but I'm curious. Phobia's aren't learned are they? They just present themselves. So maybe he has learned that humans can't fly and that has detered his kryptonian flight ability...but I'm thinking his "Acrophobia" probably played a part as well! And if so...how did it develop?Anythoughts on this?

That's a good question. They never dealt with the "why" of Clark's fear of heights. It was just one of those delicious ironies of the show, like Clark and Lex being best friends. Maybe since Krypton had such high gravity, Kryptonians didn'tclimb that high? That's just me grasping at straws, which doesn't make much sense, since Clark is the only Kryptonian we've seen afraid of heights. Maybe it had something to do with falling out of the sky?

Or maybe he fell out of the barn when he was younger and thus afraid of heights. To develop a phobia you needed to have have a really bad experienced and sometime it still will not form into a phobia.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FreakyDroid

[22]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 12
    That wasn't the case with me. I haven't had any bad experiences with heights but I'm still afraid. Perhaps bad experiences can help develop another type of phobia like phobia from water, fire or something else, but phobia from heights is a little bit different IMO. When you're standing somewhere very high and even if you're 100% secure that you want fall, you're still a little bit afraid. The thought of falling down from that height can be pretty scary, because you know that the chances of surviving are null. That's how I see it anyway.

olderSVfan

[23]Aug 9, 2007

FreakyDroid wrote:
    That wasn't the case with me. I haven't had any bad experiences with heights but I'm still afraid. Perhaps bad experiences can help develop another type of phobia like phobia from water, fire or something else, but phobia from heights is a little bit different IMO. When you're standing somewhere very high and even if you're 100% secure that you want fall, you're still a little bit afraid. The thought of falling down from that height can be pretty scary, because you know that the chances of surviving are null. That's how I see it anyway.

Yeah I have a deep rooted fear of spiders, but never had an experience to make me this way. My daughter was attacked by a German Shephard when she was little but has NO fear of dogs today...whatsoever. I think it's just something that comes upon you....no experience required!!!

FreakyDroid

[24]Aug 9, 2007
    ^ I agree.

Since you mentioned dogs .. I was bitten 3 times when I was a kid, and once a dog bit off a small piece of meat out of my leg. Nothing to worry, a few stitches and after 2 weeks I was as good as new. I've been afraid of dogs ever since. But only BIG dogs

DCU_101

[25]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:
    Howdoes Clarks "fear or heights" come into play with this whole flight issue? Okay I get it...Smallville is nothing like the superman mythos...but I'm curious. Phobia's aren't learned are they? They just present themselves. So maybe he has learned that humans can't fly and that has detered his kryptonian flight ability...but I'm thinking his "Acrophobia" probably played a part as well! And if so...how did it develop?Anythoughts on this?

That's a good question. They never dealt with the "why" of Clark's fear of heights. It was just one of those delicious ironies of the show, like Clark and Lex being best friends. Maybe since Krypton had such high gravity, Kryptonians didn'tclimb that high? That's just me grasping at straws, which doesn't make much sense, since Clark is the only Kryptonian we've seen afraid of heights. Maybe it had something to do with falling out of the sky?

Correct me if I'm wrong my friend, but I have never ever read one comic about Clark being afraid of heights. That ridiculous afraid of heights thing comes from the makers of smallville and smallville only. How in god green earth can you be a man of steel and afraid of heights. This is Superman, not "The greatest American Hero" (an old TV series from the 70's that Starred Willam Katt)

S-Shield

[26]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 21
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong my friend, but I have never ever read one comic about Clark being afraid of heights. That ridiculous afraid of heights thing comes from the makers of smallville and smallville only. How in god green earth can you be a man of steel and afraid of heights. This is Superman, not "The greatest American Hero" (an old TV series from the 70's that Starred Willam Katt)

Like Freaky said, it's just an excuse for Clark not to learn to fly, and it was a nice little twist at the start of the show, like him and Lex being friends. "What, Superman afraid of heights? How ironic seeing as how in the future blah blah blah." I thought they had got it from the Marvel Hero Sentry, who was a Superman-type and was afraid of heights when first introduced, but maybe it did come from The Greastest American Hero.

DCU_101

[27]Aug 9, 2007
    S-Shield wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:

Like Freaky said, it's just an excuse for Clark not to learn to fly, and it was a nice little twist at the start of the show, like him and Lex being friends. "What, Superman afraid of heights? How ironic seeing as how in the future blah blah blah." I thought they had got it from the Marvel Hero Sentry, who was a Superman-type and was afraid of heights when first introduced, but maybe it did come from The Greastest American Hero.

3 seasons, and give or take, 4 and then when you start to get villains and others flying and Clark not, now that has got to stop. Zod that the pin in the hay stack. He's kickin' |Clarks butt and then even in the opening credits, they got the nerve to show Zod/Lex holding Clark and flying! Come on, now this was what got me ticked off from that point on. To top it off, We are going to have Kara and Bzzarro flying and Clark (I hope will learn this season) not flying! I already knew when they first said the no flight, no tights rule, were they were headed with it. If thats not bad enough, they have Clark's alter ego (Kal-El) Fly and just to say Clark can't! You feel where I'm going with this! When ask can he fly, Clark respond "I can't fly" Come on, all these things and you would think he would try. He knows that he has a body of Steel and can't be hurt! Only if it's Krytponite or magic and ect. Then you would think he would say let me try to do this.
    Edited on 08/09/2007 2:59pm

jr_150

[28]Aug 9, 2007
    Clark didn't seem too afraid of heights when he "super-jumped" him and Lana to a high and narrow ledge in the FOS. The whole fear of heights things to me is just a tool for the writers to use whenever it's convenient for them to tell their story. Freaky mentioned that the reason he's afraid of heights is because even when you're secure you keep thinking about what if I did fall knowing that it would not end well. If you knew that even if you did fall there was no chance of being hurt ( like Clark does)is there any way you would still be afraid of heights. I would think not.

FreakyDroid

[29]Aug 9, 2007
    ^ Exactly, that's why Clark's excuse simply doesn't work!

SupermanNYC

[30]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 45
    And thats why they shouldn't have used it in the first place. They are getting cought in there own web!

SupermanNYC

[31]Aug 9, 2007
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:

3 seasons, and give or take, 4 and then when you start to get villains and others flying and Clark not, now that has got to stop. Zod that the pin in the hay stack. He's kickin' |Clarks butt and then even in the opening credits, they got the nerve to show Zod/Lex holding Clark and flying! Come on, now this was what got me ticked off from that point on. To top it off, We are going to have Kara and Bzzarro flying and Clark (I hope will learn this season) not flying! I already knew when they first said the no flight, no tights rule, were they were headed with it. If thats not bad enough, they have Clark's alter ego (Kal-El) Fly and just to say Clark can't! You feel where I'm going with this! When ask can he fly, Clark respond "I can't fly" Come on, all these things and you would think he would try. He knows that he has a body of Steel and can't be hurt! Only if it's Krytponite or magic and ect. Then you would think he would say let me try to do this.
    Very well put and welcome back to the forum. BTW: When will Heroes start again?

tolkien3791

[32]Aug 9, 2007
    olderSVfan wrote:

FreakyDroid wrote:

Yeah I have a deep rooted fear of spiders, but never had an experience to make me this way. My daughter was attacked by a German Shephard when she was little but has NO fear of dogs today...whatsoever. I think it's just something that comes upon you....no experience required!!!

Fears are something that can take place before you are old enough to remember them. Also many times you can to put into a situation were you have truely allot of fear and not get a phobia it depends on how your mind reacts to it.

DCU_101

[33]Aug 10, 2007
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:

it's good to be back. Well I'm sure it will start on the 24th of Sept. if not, then the 1st. of Oct.

SupermanNYC

[34]Aug 10, 2007
    DCU_101 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:
    DCU_101 wrote:
    S-Shield wrote:

olderSVfan wrote:

it's good to be back. Well I'm sure it will start on the 24th of Sept. if not, then the 1st. of Oct.
    I just checked, it's starting right before Smallville. Can't wait for that week to come.

alpha_Bravo_A_B

[35]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    jr_150 wrote:
    Clark didn't seem too afraid of heights when he "super-jumped" him and Lana to a high and narrow ledge in the FOS. The whole fear of heights things to me is just a tool for the writers to use whenever it's convenient for them to tell their story. Freaky mentioned that the reason he's afraid of heights is because even when you're secure you keep thinking about what if I did fall knowing that it would not end well. If you knew that even if you did fall there was no chance of being hurt ( like Clark does)is there any way you would still be afraid of heights. I would think not.

that was clark on red kryptonite so he had no psycholigical limitions. I think he still fears flying because he doesn't know his strength. falling from the height of a plane hitting the ground is a lot stronger then getting hit by most of the oppenents he has faced. I also think there is a difference between getting a phobia from an accident and one you have because you fear the end result. I'm afraid of heights when I am standing on high places. (as is normal for a height phobia) but I can overcome my fear(sorry it's more complicated but can't describe it) now if I had an accident that made the phobia the worse part of that accident would be played down in your brains in such a way that it would acctuelly freeze you.

awesome21

[36]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 10

Acting like human probably just delayed his powers, but he was still capable to achieve those powers if by accident or not. It was still him, i dont thing it slowed anything. He probably felt more like a human then alian and being human andinteracting like the human race wastoo an ability.

jedi66

[37]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 11

As for the real reason behind Clark not being able to fly, the producers screwed themselves by putting on a "making of" episode and announcing their "no tights, no flight" motto, and signifying that if it ever got to the point where they ran out of other ways for Clark/Kal-El to deal with his foes, it meant they had run out of original story ideas, and they would scrap the show. The problem is that they probably figured that the show would only last for a few seasons, and that would be that.

But now here we are going into season seven, and they are still clinging to a stupid motto from season one. As Clark matured, his powers had to mature as well. In the very second episode of season one, he was dreaming of flying to Lana, and woke up to find himself floating over his bed. When he realized this, he fell with enough force to break all the legs on the bed. Likewise, he got a taste of flying in season four when he was brainwashed by the Jor-El computer A.I. into becoming an emotionless, single-minded version of Kal-El, and he went flying after Lex's jet. He has also seen others fly. So the producers are going to have to make a choice: come to grips with the fact that entering into season seven, it is time for Clark to learn how to fly, one of Superman's most notable powers, or risk ruining the season, and getting the show cancelled.

In the end, making the fans happy should be what counts, not sticking to a stupid six year-old motto. As for the no tights part of the motto, I'm fine with that since anyone in Smallville will likely knowClark by sight, anyway. But, for the love of God, lose the plaid flannel shirts! Enough plaid, already!

Now to shoot myself in the foot: My whole point starting this thread was that perhaps the preconceived notions Clark developed being raised and educated by a human society, and thinking himself to be a human, could have slowed the development of some of his powers. Flying was the most obvious example. In a way, it's not unlike the phobias some have been speaking of. You may be aware that you have a phobia, but it is your subconscious that is doing the damage and keeping that phobia influencing your actions. You can consciously make a determined effort to overcome a phobia, but it is your subconscious that is going to keep fighting you and producing that fear.

Clark was raised as a human, thought that he was a human, was taught as a human. Then, one day he was told (paraphrasing for dramatic effect here)"Oh, by the way, you're an alien. Your spaceship is parked in the storm cellar. Now finish your chores." Huh? If someone told me that I was an alien and could pass through solid concrete walls by forgetting all the laws of physics I have been taght and simplyrunning really fast at the nearest building, I'm going to have reservations and a lot of disbelief, no matter how much proof you give me. You don't believe me? Okay, then try this. This is a closely guarded secret, meant to be shared only in the upper echelons of the rich and powerful, but I'm going to risk it all and tell you guys.

While you have been reading the Smallville forum, TV.com has been bombarding you with special "K" radiation through your monitor. It is an experiment designed to alter the molecular makeup of humans. Everyone who has participated in this forum, now really does have the power to run through solid walls. Pick a nice concrete wall, and run full on right through it. You should wear a motorcycle helmet when doing this as it makes you more aerodynamic. Now go and try it! Remember, I'm risking my life by telling you this secret, so you can all trust me!

Humans can't fly. People are weighed down by Earth's gravity and can do no more than jump as high as they can. That is what Clark learned all his life until he became a teenager and was told that he was an alien. Even though he levitated while sleeping in episode 2 of season 1, the chances of him believing he could fly at will in the early seasons are about as great as you people reading this post running at a concrete wall just because I told you so in the two paragraphs above. Has FreakDroid regained consciousness, yet? If not call an ambulance.

You see my point though. If you lead your life being brought up to believe the snakebite of a diamondback rattlesnake will kill you, that standing in front of a moving car will hurt, or setting your arm on fire will cause severe burns, the only way to get past that is experience to the contrary.If Kara and Martian Manhuntergive Clark some attention, they should easily be able to teach him to fly in no time, if the writers allow it. If they don't, fire them and get better writers.

Was FreakyDroid at least wearing a helmet when he smaked into the cement wall? Bloody droids take everything so literally. Probably cracked his head. Oh well, bye everyone. By the way, the running through walls if you did it really fast was just a joke and an example of what would likely be running through Clark's mind if anyone suggested he could fly at will. What was that loud thud that came from all directions? Must be the wind. Bye.

Liquid-Prince

[38]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yes, but being taught by humans also gave him qualities that he wouldn't have gained if he was raised on Krypton, or by an on board computer.

jedi66

[39]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 11

Liquid-Prince wrote:
    Yes, but being taught by humans also gave him qualities that he wouldn't have gained if he was raised on Krypton, or by an on board computer.

I would agree with you about the onboard computer not being able to teach him human qualities, but not about being raised on Krypton preventing him from gaining human qualities. After all, prior to the creation of the Fortress of Solitude, the Jor-El artificial intelligence was a serious loony, indeed, even a psychotic entity. It was onloy after the fortress was created that the Jor-El simulation mellowed out. That was why I suggested in another threadthat perhaps the Jor-El A.I. on Clark's ship and BRAINIAC were in fact related computer constructs, perhaps one being a prototype of the other. The singleminded determination to get Clark to follow a set destiny at any cost, even if it meant killing, harming, ormanipulating innocents seems ample proof of that. In my opinion, the Jor-El A.I. that existed prior to the creation of the fortress was no better than BRAINIAC, and surely would have taught Kal-El to be little better than a super-powered terminator unit if it had been allowed to teach him.

That being said, we have never seen anyone except Raya from Krypton to base our knowledge of normalKryptonian qualities upon, other than Zod, followers of Zod, Brainiac, the Jor-El A.I., and escapees from the Phantom Zone. Raya, who helped rescue Kal-El from the Phantom Zone, and who later briefly joined him on Earth before being killed seemed selfless, caring, willing to sacrifice her life to protect Kal-El, and seemed to love Earth. While I wish they would bring back the character as, say, Power Girl, my point is that she seemed to exemplify the best characteristics of humanity, and yet she was from Krypton!

The real Jor-El stayed behind on Krypton, fighting to the last to save his doomed planet, at the expense of his own life. And with Supergirl/Kara appearing this season, and according to rumors preparing for her own spin-off show, we will see how well adjusted a younger Kryptonian raised girl can adjust to Earth in terms of her values and beliefs.

Unfortunately, the concept of Kal-El being raised on Krypton first was simply not an option since he was so young when the planet was destroyed and he was sent to Earth in a spaceship piloted by a maniacal computer artificial intelligence. Jor-El certainly screwed up when he sent the Computer-A.I. to help Clark. In my opinion, if Martian Manhunter had reallybeen on Earth all along, he should have intervened long before to protect Clark from the faulty Jor-El A.I., and he should have gone looking for Kara if he knew that she was supposed to be Clark's guardian, but went missing. The same goes for Martian Manhunter trying to free Raya from the Phantom Zoneif Jor-El had confided his plan to let Raya escape into the Phantom Zone to escape death when Krypton was destroyedtoManhunter beforehand.

Anton_Legend

[40]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 10
    Clarks Human education was necessary. wether it slowed him down or not. In the comics and in most televisual representations Jor-El approved of Martha and Jonathan, saying that he couldn't have wished Clark had landed with anyone better, so I think its all part of Clarkes destiny and any slowing down of his development was also part of his destiny and we shouldn't grumble about it.

In CKs cases, the end DEFINATELY justifies the means; The final product (Superman) is so good that it is worth everthing that happened to him when he was younger, and I wouldn't have it any other way.