Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

How do you rank the seasons of Smallville?

  • Avatar of lenzinoH20

    lenzinoH20

    [1]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 07/12/06
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 470

    For me:

    1. Season 3-The best and darkest season of the series. Original stories, awesome writing and the Lex's descent into madness was amazing!

    2. Season 2-A stunning second season where we got to see Clark explore his origins and the rest of the characters grow immensely. Also, "Rosetta" anyone?

    3. Season 8-Despite some disappointments (the Lana arc and the pathetic finale), this season had the best character development, especially for Clark since Season 4. The Doomsday and the RBB arcs were also well done for the most part.

    4. Season 6-Probably the most underrated season of Smallville! Despite Lexana, there some really superb episodes throughout ("Zod", "Arrow", "Justice", Labryinth" "Freak")

    5. Season 1-A good first season with some excellent character growth and refreshing take on young Clark Kent.

    6. Season 4-A mediocre year with some of the best ("Crusade", "Run", "Commencment") and worst ("Spell", "Ageless", "Forever") of Smallville.

    7. Season 5-Probably the most overrated year of Smallville! The Clana angst as well as Clark himself was at it's worst, the Brainiac arc was so under-written and don't get me started on the second half of the season full of fillers!

    8. Season 7-The most pointless year of Smallville that showed us Kara was hot but useless, Lana is a waste of time, Clark is still a BDA, Chimmy sucks, Veritas...WTF? and Lex finds out the truth but goes poof. A complete filler season!

    Edited on 06/01/2009 4:26pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Enthropii

    Enthropii

    [2]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 08/10/06
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 4,108

    Season 3
    Season 2
    Season 4
    Season 1
    Season 6
    Season 8
    Season 5
    Season 7

    Edited on 06/01/2009 11:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of borikuarocks

    borikuarocks

    [3]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 11/07/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,291
    For me:

    1. Season 8-Despite many complaints people have about this season, for me it re-invigorated my interest in the series I havnt felt since season 5. It also has most of my favorite episodes and I loved the finale. Yes, there as the Lana Arc, but i choose to ignore it LOL

    2. Season 5-Although it was lacking a certain...something, i enjoyed this season because of the Superman undertones throughout. The Fortress of Solitude was excellent, and Brainiac quickly became my favorite character. I also loved how everyhting was tying into Zod. 3. Season 2-Clark explores his origins in this season. And I loved Chris reeves as a cameo!

    4. Season 4-I agree that the whole "Search for the Stones" got a little tiring, but it was definitly an action packed season. And Barts intro was definitly a highlight.

    5. Season 6-This is the season where my interest started waining. Lex with Lana (ugh) but I did like the premier with Zod, and the Justice league was definitly exciting. I just expected...i dont know...more. The phantoms were nice, but they were hardly any more of a threat than the Meteor Freaks.

    6. Season 1-It was OK...it peaked my interest in the series. But It could have been better.

    7. Season 3-Im sure it wasnt this bad...but I cant remember anything from it. And that calls for a bad season when you cant remember anything of it.

    8. Season 7-Awful. Its what finally nailed the coffin for me with smallville. I absolutly couldnt watch it anymore. Kara was missused. I hated Lana and poor Lionel and the season finale was pointless to say the least. And people have a problem with Doomsday. pfft!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [4]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    For me:

    1. Season 3-I liked the darkness in it as well.

    2. Season 4-Really. Although I hated certain episodes (I'm looking at you, "Spell." Actually, I don't like the whole Isobel storyline). But I liked its action/adventure feeling.

    3. Season 6--I'm inclined to agree with you about season 6--that it was underrated. The episodes you mentioned were awesome.

    4. Season 5--I also agree that season 5 was overrated. The best character here was Brainiac.

    5. Season 2-What you said about season 2 is better than what I could write: "A stunning second season where we got to see Clark explore his origins and the rest of the characters grow immensely. Also, "Rosetta" anyone?"

    6. Season 8-This is ranked so low because, dispite a very promising first half, it fizzled in the second half. Clark did have some awesome character development, but the season itself fizzled.

    7. Season 1-Right off the top of my head, I don't remember too many season 1 episodes. Must not be all that memorable.

    8. Season 7-This season was so not thought out. Veritas was pointless and a complete retcon. I can't even call it a filler season. It was just bad. And I'm so sick of everyone saying that the writers' strike had a lot to do with the quality of this season. Considering that Smallville got nearly a full season (20 episodes instead of the usual 22 episodes. However, many shows couldn't even get half of their usual episodes out.) Smallville writers just got in such a hurry to crank out as many episodes as they could that season that they forgot to think.

    Kat

    [/QUOTE]
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lenzinoH20

    lenzinoH20

    [5]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 07/12/06
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 470
    Really historylover20? Season 1 may not be the best, but it had some great episodes and all the characters were likeable, even Lana! Not to mention, how could you forget the pilot episode, "X-Ray", "Leech", "Jitters", "Hug", "Stray", "Shimmer", "Hourglass" and "Tempest"? You should rewatch Season 1, really good season!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chadjlock

    chadjlock

    [6]Jun 1, 2009
    • member since: 03/24/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 349

    Season 4- The action in this season was very good to me. I liked the new twist on searching for the stones to make the crystal that forms the Fortress. Top that off with 'Commencement'-still one of the highest rated in SV history! Throw in Bart, and viola!

    Season 8- Liked it ALOT! My thoughts are similar to Borikua. It was refreshing to me. To me the Superman lore was reestablished very quickly after that awful debacle of S7.

    Season 6- Close behind my number 2 choice. I liked the Zoners for the most part, and the addition of MM. Opened with Lex/Zod and closed with Bizzarro(sp), which were of the best to me.

    Season 5- Poor Jonathan Kent. That was sad. So was Clark/Lana from the proposal to things going back to how they were. Ups and downs for me this season. Brainiac was a definite plus.

    Season 3- Alot of darkness in this season that I didn't like, esp with Lex and Lionel, but good episodes too. I liked the finale, as well as the opening with father against son.

    Season 2- Not alot for me to remember except Chris Reeve. Other stories were good, but it was slow most of the year.

    Season 1- There were good stories that got me going on this series, but I didn't watch this until S3 was over!

    Season 7- Big surprise, NOT! I will be honest with all- I actually liked the first half of the season for the most part (as much as season 6), but the second half almost had me stop watching the show. Kara was OK, but the amnesia storyline along with the hyped-up Jesus-Veritas storyline put it way out in left field for me.

    Edited on 06/01/2009 7:18pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Enthropii

    Enthropii

    [7]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 08/10/06
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 4,108
    lenzinoH20 wrote:
    Really historylover20? Season 1 may not be the best, but it had some great episodes and all the characters were likeable, even Lana! Not to mention, how could you forget the pilot episode, "X-Ray", "Leech", "Jitters", "Hug", "Stray", "Shimmer", "Hourglass" and "Tempest"? You should rewatch Season 1, really good season!


    Agreed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [8]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    I know I should rewatch it (by the way, I rarely go by my username on this forum. Call me Kat.) But I just haven't. I don't own these DVDs, and I'm not in a big hurry to get them (bills come first. Then DVDs.)

    However, like borikua said, if a season doesn't stand out in your mind, you're less likely to want to rewatch it. Season 1 doesn't stand out in my mind. I remember those episodes AFTER you listed them.

    Plus, it is my opinion. You asked for my opinion on the seasons. Just because my rankings doesn't agree with yours doesn't make my OPINIONS wrong. And it doesn't make your opinions wrong either.

    Kat

    Edited on 06/02/2009 8:05am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lenzinoH20

    lenzinoH20

    [9]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 07/12/06
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 470
    historylover20 wrote:

    I know I should rewatch it (by the way, I rarely go by my username on this forum. Call me Kat.) But I just haven't. I don't own these DVDs, and I'm not in a big hurry to get them (bills come first. Then DVDs.)

    However, like borikua said, if a season doesn't stand out in your mind, you're less likely to want to rewatch it. Season 1 doesn't stand out in my mind. I remember those episodes AFTER you listed them.

    Plus, it is my opinion. You asked for my opinion on the seasons. Just because my rankings doesn't agree with yours doesn't make my OPINIONS wrong. And it doesn't make your opinions wrong either.

    Kat

    Oh, I wasn't saying your opinion was wrong. I was just giving you a friendly suggestion of re-watching Season 1 just to refresh your memory since you didn't remember it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alirk

    alirk

    [10]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,530
    I working on watching the seasons right now...So far I really like season 5...I'm a fan of all the seasons so far, but I really liked that one...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of eruptingaliens

    eruptingaliens

    [11]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 01/31/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 8

    Season 4 - The only thing I didn't like from this season was the Isabell plot line.

    Season 5 - Can't really remember anything that annoyed me from this season.

    Season 8 - Thought the first half was amazing, but the second half fizzled fast with the lana arc, then came back a bit after that, but the season finale was a little disappointing.

    Season 2 - An excellent season to keep you goin after the good first season, i need to watch it again however.

    Season 1 - great season, sparked my interest in Smallville when I was watching reruns on the HD channel.

    Season 6 - It was a good season, had some great episodes, but the season overall was just good.

    Season 3 - Had some great parts, but this is when lana and clark started getting annoying, at least they gave that a rest in season 4 (until the end anyway)

    Season 7 - Definitely the worst, Had some good episodes, however, unlike some people, kara didn't bother me.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Enigler

    Enigler

    [12]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 10/12/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 585

    borikuarocks wrote:
    For me: 1. Season 8-Despite many complaints people have about this season, for me it re-invigorated my interest in the series I havnt felt since season 5. It also has most of my favorite episodes and I loved the finale. Yes, there as the Lana Arc, but i choose to ignore it LOL 2. Season 5-Although it was lacking a certain...something, i enjoyed this season because of the Superman undertones throughout. The Fortress of Solitude was excellent, and Brainiac quickly became my favorite character. I also loved how everyhting was tying into Zod. 3. Season 2-Clark explores his origins in this season. And I loved Chris reeves as a cameo! 4. Season 4-I agree that the whole "Search for the Stones" got a little tiring, but it was definitly an action packed season. And Barts intro was definitly a highlight. 5. Season 6-This is the season where my interest started waining. Lex with Lana (ugh) but I did like the premier with Zod, and the Justice league was definitly exciting. I just expected...i dont know...more. The phantoms were nice, but they were hardly any more of a threat than the Meteor Freaks. 6. Season 1-It was OK...it peaked my interest in the series. But It could have been better. 7. Season 3-Im sure it wasnt this bad...but I cant remember anything from it. And that calls for a bad season when you cant remember anything of it. 8. Season 7-Awful. Its what finally nailed the coffin for me with smallville. I absolutly couldnt watch it anymore. Kara was missused. I hated Lana and poor Lionel and the season finale was pointless to say the least. And people have a problem with Doomsday. pfft!

    I would have to completely agree with this list. I do not remember much of the third season either. Mostly chalk that one up to watching the first 3 seasons in a power viewing and most of that 3rd season just melded together.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of aj_the_kidd

    aj_the_kidd

    [13]Jun 2, 2009
    • member since: 10/22/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,471
    Season 4, 5 then 6 are the top 3.
    Seasons 3 to 1, don't really remember much about them. Season 7, all i can say is that its disappointing and Season 8, wasn't a much of fan.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Batfreak99

    Batfreak99

    [14]Jun 6, 2009
    • member since: 09/06/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 76

    Season 6 - I loved the Lana/Lex storyline, the only time I liked Lana. Plus Zod was great.

    Season 4 - The Isobel storyline was interesting to me but Lana's acting could've been better.

    Season 5 - Brainiac was great.

    Season 3 - Lionel was amazing in this season.

    Season 8 - The 2nd half of the season sucked but the first half had some of the best episodes ever.

    Season 7 - I enjoyed this season. Kara was a great addition to the cast.

    Season 2 - It was good. More of the same meteor freak of the week stories.

    Season 1 - A good introduction though totally dull compared to later seasons.

    Edited on 06/06/2009 12:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zepherous35

    zepherous35

    [15]Jun 7, 2009
    • member since: 10/10/08
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 4,492
    borikuarocks wrote:
    For me:

    1. Season 8-Despite many complaints people have about this season, for me it re-invigorated my interest in the series I havnt felt since season 5. It also has most of my favorite episodes and I loved the finale. Yes, there as the Lana Arc, but i choose to ignore it LOL

    2. Season 5-Although it was lacking a certain...something, i enjoyed this season because of the Superman undertones throughout. The Fortress of Solitude was excellent, and Brainiac quickly became my favorite character. I also loved how everyhting was tying into Zod. 3. Season 2-Clark explores his origins in this season. And I loved Chris reeves as a cameo!

    4. Season 4-I agree that the whole "Search for the Stones" got a little tiring, but it was definitly an action packed season. And Barts intro was definitly a highlight.

    5. Season 6-This is the season where my interest started waining. Lex with Lana (ugh) but I did like the premier with Zod, and the Justice league was definitly exciting. I just expected...i dont know...more. The phantoms were nice, but they were hardly any more of a threat than the Meteor Freaks.

    6. Season 1-It was OK...it peaked my interest in the series. But It could have been better.

    7. Season 3-Im sure it wasnt this bad...but I cant remember anything from it. And that calls for a bad season when you cant remember anything of it.

    8. Season 7-Awful. Its what finally nailed the coffin for me with smallville. I absolutly couldnt watch it anymore. Kara was missused. I hated Lana and poor Lionel and the season finale was pointless to say the least. And people have a problem with Doomsday. pfft!


    Agreed, except I would swtich out season 5 and 6. Season 8 is my favorite season, but I agree with Kat, the second half worked hard just to be mediocre. And that finale? Awful!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kratosgod69

    kratosgod69

    [16]Jun 7, 2009
    • member since: 05/17/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,265

    Season 5 - lol how is it overrated if most people haven't placed it first? Personally, this season is my favorite, as it is the most consistent season in terms of quality, the plotlines helped the show to feel more serial, JL episodes still felt cool, and Brainiac and the entire Zod arc was very well done. Clex was also well done. Highlights: Arrival, Splinter, Lockdown, Oracle, Vessel

    Season 3 - Again, it's more or less a serialized season. Still bogged down by HISKOOL DRAMAZ but to a far lesser extent then the other seasons. A lot of the character turns I quite liked, but Lex steals the show. Highlights: Shattered, Asylum, Memoria, Hereafter, Legacy (oh, and Covenant is crap, aside from the last five minutes)

    Season 4 - Perhaps even MORE Hiskool then season 1, season 4 made up for it by not being horribly nauseating. ADMITTEDLY, the witch plotline was absolute tripe, but the stones allowed for a decent backdrop for most of the episodes. Lionel's plotline was also well done, but that probably had more to do with the acting. Highlights: Crusade, Transference, Gone, Sacred, Commencement

    Season 6 - meh. Extraordinarily inconsistent, but when it had good episodes, they were good. Clexana was definitely the low point, and the buildup to the finale was rushed and without much backing at all. The phantoms were PHUN, and the JL plotlines were good, Oliver being the high point of the season. Highlights: Phantom, Noir, Nemesis, Justice

    Season 2 - The start of an actual mythology for the show, and some good focus on Lionel, but some of the story arcs were very lacking. Especially the one with Lana's biological father. Highlights: Duplicity, Rosetta, Vortex, Exodus

    Season 8 - I actually had to think about putting this above seasons 7 and 1. Ultimately, it's a decent season. The first half is up there with season 5's for consistent greatness, but the latter half is so horribly inconsistent, and the promising plotlines of the first half so poorly tied up that it can't belong with the Smallville greats. Highlights: Prey, Bride, Turbulence, Doomsday

    Season 7 - Wut can I say. Like most seasons, it had a good first half (I actually really liked GABRIEL and Kara's backstory wasn't that disgusting to me) but the last half was actually consistently BAD, starting from Hero on. Lex's downfall, which had basically been in the making for years, was poorly executed in a series of mediocre flashbacks. Highlights: Cure, Gemini, Blue

    Season 1 - Awful tripe. HISKOOL crap with almost no redeeming factors, poorly written **** etc. I can't think of a single redeeming factor. Highlights: lol there weren't any, BY MAH ESTIMATION

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Enigler

    Enigler

    [17]Jun 8, 2009
    • member since: 10/12/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 585
    kratosgod69 wrote:

    Season 5 - lol how is it overrated if most people haven't placed it first? Personally, this season is my favorite, as it is the most consistent season in terms of quality, the plotlines helped the show to feel more serial, JL episodes still felt cool, and Brainiac and the entire Zod arc was very well done. Clex was also well done. Highlights: Arrival, Splinter, Lockdown, Oracle, Vessel

    Season 3 - Again, it's more or less a serialized season. Still bogged down by HISKOOL DRAMAZ but to a far lesser extent then the other seasons. A lot of the character turns I quite liked, but Lex steals the show. Highlights: Shattered, Asylum, Memoria, Hereafter, Legacy (oh, and Covenant is crap, aside from the last five minutes)

    Season 4 - Perhaps even MORE Hiskool then season 1, season 4 made up for it by not being horribly nauseating. ADMITTEDLY, the witch plotline was absolute tripe, but the stones allowed for a decent backdrop for most of the episodes. Lionel's plotline was also well done, but that probably had more to do with the acting. Highlights: Crusade, Transference, Gone, Sacred, Commencement

    Season 6 - meh. Extraordinarily inconsistent, but when it had good episodes, they were good. Clexana was definitely the low point, and the buildup to the finale was rushed and without much backing at all. The phantoms were PHUN, and the JL plotlines were good, Oliver being the high point of the season. Highlights: Phantom, Noir, Nemesis, Justice

    Season 2 - The start of an actual mythology for the show, and some good focus on Lionel, but some of the story arcs were very lacking. Especially the one with Lana's biological father. Highlights: Duplicity, Rosetta, Vortex, Exodus

    Season 8 - I actually had to think about putting this above seasons 7 and 1. Ultimately, it's a decent season. The first half is up there with season 5's for consistent greatness, but the latter half is so horribly inconsistent, and the promising plotlines of the first half so poorly tied up that it can't belong with the Smallville greats. Highlights: Prey, Bride, Turbulence, Doomsday

    Season 7 - Wut can I say. Like most seasons, it had a good first half (I actually really liked GABRIEL and Kara's backstory wasn't that disgusting to me) but the last half was actually consistently BAD, starting from Hero on. Lex's downfall, which had basically been in the making for years, was poorly executed in a series of mediocre flashbacks. Highlights: Cure, Gemini, Blue

    Season 1 - Awful tripe. HISKOOL crap with almost no redeeming factors, poorly written **** etc. I can't think of a single redeeming factor. Highlights: lol there weren't any, BY MAH ESTIMATION

    Wait, do you even like the show? Your list is written as if the question was "which season sucked the least?" Your first 4 pickes does not even suggest that the show has any redeeming qualities; yet, they are ranked as the better of the other seasons?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FaithTheSlayer

    FaithTheSlayer

    [18]Jun 8, 2009
    • member since: 09/13/05
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 907
    1. Season 6 (My absolute favorite! The Lana/Lex thing actually interested me, Green Arrow was great.)
    2. Season 4 (Fun, light season. The Alicia episodes were amazing. The witch thing was odd though, but I loved the character of Jason)
    3. Season 7 (Really enjoyed this season for the most part. Gabriel was great, and so was Kara, even though I agree she was underused)
    4. Season 2 (Love this season for some reason. Loved Clark learning more about his past)
    5. Season 5 (Not bad, kinda average)
    6. Season 1 (Freak-of-the-week, but the Clana relationship was actually tolerable)
    7. Season 3 (For the life of me, I can't remember anything from this season)

    ***Have yet to see Season 8. I watch the series on DVD.***
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of borikuarocks

    borikuarocks

    [19]Jun 8, 2009
    • member since: 11/07/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,291
    FaithTheSlayer wrote:
    1. Season 6 (My absolute favorite! The Lana/Lex thing actually interested me, Green Arrow was great.)
    2. Season 4 (Fun, light season. The Alicia episodes were amazing. The witch thing was odd though, but I loved the character of Jason)
    3. Season 7 (Really enjoyed this season for the most part. Gabriel was great, and so was Kara, even though I agree she was underused)
    4. Season 2 (Love this season for some reason. Loved Clark learning more about his past)
    5. Season 5 (Not bad, kinda average)
    6. Season 1 (Freak-of-the-week, but the Clana relationship was actually tolerable)
    7. Season 3 (For the life of me, I can't remember anything from this season)

    ***Have yet to see Season 8. I watch the series on DVD.***
    I may not agree with your choices, but i damn well love your banner! Totally had a crush on her in High School
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Enthropii

    Enthropii

    [20]Jun 8, 2009
    • member since: 08/10/06
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 4,108
    FaithTheSlayer wrote:
    1. Season 6 (My absolute favorite! The Lana/Lex thing actually interested me, Green Arrow was great.)
    2. Season 4 (Fun, light season. The Alicia episodes were amazing. The witch thing was odd though, but I loved the character of Jason)
    3. Season 7 (Really enjoyed this season for the most part. Gabriel was great, and so was Kara, even though I agree she was underused)
    4. Season 2 (Love this season for some reason. Loved Clark learning more about his past)
    5. Season 5 (Not bad, kinda average)
    6. Season 1 (Freak-of-the-week, but the Clana relationship was actually tolerable)
    7. Season 3 (For the life of me, I can't remember anything from this season)

    ***Have yet to see Season 8. I watch the series on DVD.***

    Holy Hell! Eliza Dushku's the way the world should go. If I don't make sense, it's cuz tt's hw i am wen i talk abt her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.