Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Is Lois Trustworty or Not?

Jacks_Son

[1]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 13

Why does Chloe believe that Lois is not trustworthy? In fact, why would Lois believe this herself? Is it because she went out on the news and said she was in contact with The Blur? So what. She didn't know his identity and yes, that led to The Blur having to Out himself. However, that was Clark's idea. If I recall correctly, Lois knows that Oliver is the Green Arrow, yet she has kept his identity a secret. Clark went through this crap with Lana and he should have learned by it. Zatanna knows his secret. Heck, even the kid, Warrior Angel, knows his secret. Lois isn't anything like Alicia and Clark should just tell her. They can't keep knocking Lois out whenever she learns something. Can anybody give me a good reason why Lois is considered untrustworthy?

Edited on 03/05/2010 2:30pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RatherBeGamblin

[2]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 4
    I think she is trustworthy. Her cousin is just jealous in my opinion. The show would be over if Lois found out his secret.

alirk

[3]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 22

In my opinion Lois is trustworthy. Like you said she has been keeping Oliver's secret for quite awhile now...The whole 'let's knock out Lois everytime she learns something' is starting to annoy me Tongue out

jwgrlrrajn

[4]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 23
    The show would not be over if Lois found out Clark's secret, if anything, I think it might extend the life of the show.

KingofIPirates

[5]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 32
    Jacks_Son wrote:
    Why does Chloe believe that Lois is not trustworthy? In fact, why would Lois believe this herself? Is it because she went out on the news and said she was in contact with The Blur? So what. She didn't know his identity and yes, that led to The Blur having to Out himself. However, that was Clark's idea. If I recall correctly, Lois knows that Oliver is the Green Arrow, yet she has kept his identity a secret. Clark went through this crap with Lana and he should have learned by it. Zatanna knows his secret. Heck, even the kid, Warrior Angel, knows his secret. Lois isn't anything like Alicia and Clark should just tell her.
    While I agree with your overall sentiments
    in regards to how tired this plot device has become; to his credit Clark has never willingly confessed his secret to the ones he loved unless he was either forced to (in Pete) or was eventually discovered indirectly or through a second hand source (in Chloe, Lana again, Lex, Jimmy, Oliver,etc) and the one time he actually did Lana died.
    Jacks_Son wrote:

They can't keep knocking Lois out whenever she learns something.

They did so successfully with Lana and Lex, granted they were more 'inventive' in the ways they went about it though lately they've just been slacking.
    Jacks_Son wrote:
    Can anybody give me a good reason why Lois is considered untrustworthy?
    Heh, she's a reporter.

dragon22a

[6]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 32

I think that Chloe feels that Lois is a reporter first and will use the story or she feels that if Lois becomes aware of Clarks identity that if she is captured she may be made to talk and that it is safer for her not to know. Chloe is more guarding of Clark than any other member of the league including Oliver. She knows Clark has a destiny and does not want anything to risk that even Lois.

However, Lois has always been shown as trust worthy when it matters. Sure, she is willing to do almost anything for a story even risking her own life. But when it comes to certain things, she is willing to sacrifice her career. She knows that what Oliver does as Green Arrow is important and that his identity is part of that. She has a big story with him, one that could make her career but she does not write the story because she knows that Green Arrow is too important. She would be the same way with Clark. Besides her feelings for him, she would know that he is important to the world.

That is what makes Lois a good character in all of the incarnations that she knows the truth. She is a reporter who is sitting on the biggest story in the world, but she does not write it out of love and sacrifice.

that70sshow2000

[7]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 15
    It's a total plothole and character development is lacking because of it.

What I mean by that is, like you said, Clark went through this with Lana--"Should I tell her or not? Would she be able to 'handle' it?"--and she turned out to prefer to know that about him and to be able to 'handle' it, so why he is now doubting Lois even though he has SEEN (alternate reality) that she CAN and DOES want to handle it and know, I have NO idea.

I guess he thinks, like with Lana, he is 'protecting' her from his secret.

LeytonTLA

[8]Mar 7, 2010
    • level: 16

its really annoying but its clark at the end of the day lol he never wants to tell anyone cos he thinks they cant handle it or that he wont be able to protect them properly and stuff, i think lois is very trustworthy she would never do anythin to hurt her friends with her writing or anything just other people lol

kanniballl

[9]Mar 8, 2010
    • level: 18

First off, I know that cannon is out the window.

But to maintain some semblance of continuity, he shouldn't have anything to *tell* her until he's actually Superman.

"Lois, I'm The Blur...."

vs

"Lois, I'm Superman"

----------------------

I'm fine with "Smallville" becoming "Metropolis" but they need to pull the band-aide and go full out "Lois & Clark" or some sort of Superman show.

Personally I think the whole Red-Blue-Blue (aka The Blur) thing has been done to death. A single year is one thing, but come on. I mean, he wears the flippin' symbol and leaves it behind, it's not like people are going to be shocked when Superman actually shows up save for the fact that he can fly and shows his face without a mask.

I understand Smallville is about Clark's life before he dons the tights, but I think we crossed that line sometime around:

Doomsday, Lex Luthor learning his secret, The Justice League, The Justice Society, S-Symbol graphiti, etc.

Heck, we're about a stone's throw away from a flippin' "New Krypton" story arch.

Edited on 03/08/2010 9:15am

kanniballl

[10]Mar 8, 2010

Oh. Back to the question on hand...

I think Chloe truly has moved on, ever since her Body Swap episode ended with her saying she has a new ambition in life.

Part of the reason might be the whole issue of Clark letting Lois publish his story in the future, before having to retcon the event via a L.E.G.I.O.N. ring. Granted the whole PR disaster wasn't Lois's fault but there's no need to put her through that yet.

Face it, Clark's story is a lot more epic than Ollie's. Ollie is a modern day Robin Hood that is misunderstood by the public.

Clark is an alien, proof of life outside our solar system. Add to that his long list of incredible powers and not publishing the story is a big deal. Is Lois "close" enough to Clark to hold back on his identity, at least at present? Their relationship is a little unstable at the moment.

In the (modern age) comics, Clark waited until after she accepted the proposal to tell her the truth. By then she had enough love for him to ignore the major story she might've been able to write.

Edited on 03/08/2010 9:48am

Morspeed

[11]Mar 8, 2010
    • level: 9
    I doubt that Lois would publish Clark's identity as the Blur or Superman or whatever. Lois is a reporter but the odds are she wouldn't out Clark not only because they are dating, but because they have been friends for a long time, she really cares about him (according to the Committed episode she loves him but whatever) so I cannot see her willingly doing it.

I think the writers may save this reveal for a season finale. Hopefully the season nine finale. That will have everyone tuning in for season 10.

sporkman5353

[12]Mar 26, 2010

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    The show would not be over if Lois found out Clark's secret, if anything, I think it might extend the life of the show.

Agreed, and yes she's trustworthy.