Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Booster (possible spoilers)

kanniballl

[41]Apr 24, 2011
    • level: 18

PowerSurgeX wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    PowerSurgeX wrote:

So the kid is Iron Man?

Lol. Yeah, a lot of Booster's behaviour and actions seems to have been ripped from Iron Man 2.
    I mean the kid in the Iron Man / Power Ranger suite.

The kid was Blue Beetle, though a poor version of the armor. A couple of years ago they released a teaser for a new Jaime Reyes live-action show, the armor was A LOT better. The armor is more streamlined then the fugly thing in "Booster"

The power-armor Blue Beetle came to the comics back in 2006, so it's not like Smallville just ripped off Iron Man. Iron Man isn't the only power-armor hero.

As for the in-helm camera, a couple of shows have picked up the Tony Stark in-helm view for their shots (Stargate Atlantis being an example). The only render I like more is in the comics (with Tony + Extremis) were we see Tony standing in dark a room doing stuff (because it's all in his head).

Actually, I really dig Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle in the comics. It's a shame they cancelled his series, though he does belong to groups.

Beyond the fact that it's a powered armor and the in-helm camera in Smallville, they are different. Jaime gets the alien scarab that burrows into him. He deals with trying to keep the armor's AI from using lethal response, being a young kid, learning the alien's language, etc.

Different tones, different themes, different darkness, etc. So it's not a rip-off of Iron Man.

Edited on 04/24/2011 9:38pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[42]Apr 24, 2011
    • level: 18

dragon22a wrote:

My big problem with the episode came with the handling of Blue Beetle. Dan Garrett is referenced only as someone who went crazy with the Scarab and Ted Kord comes off as a jerk where he was heroic in the comics. Jaime is actually handled rather well but the suit could have been better done rather than looking like War Machine.

The Dan Garret thing was poorly done in my opinion. They should've either left the name out or mentioned that decades back he found it figured out how to use it to save people.

Well, Ted "was" nice at the end.

You could take his appearance in the middle of the episode as more "tense" than "jerk-ish"

An alien weapon of mass-destruction is loose in Metropolis, and it was his responsibility to ensure that didn't happen. In the comics, the Scarab truly is a WMD, it has weapons capable of de-populating large cities and capacity to take over the world (with its main facility in the desert).

I'm sure even the goofy Ted from the comics would've been tense at that.

After Ted did act serious in the comics when push came to shove, such as when he was investigating Checkmate.

Edited on 04/24/2011 9:47pm

alirk

[43]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 22

Good episode.Def liked it alot better than last weeks, but I have noticed the episodes in the 2nd half of the season haven't seemed as "epic" or important as those in the 1st half of the season. I would think it would be opposite of that...?

SupermanNYC

[44]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 45

Wrong!!! That is Booster Gold's behavior!! He's the same way in the comics!! Always thinking about fame! and having that same behavior as well.

Edited on 04/27/2011 5:13pm

Enthropii

[45]Apr 28, 2011
    • level: 23
    SupermanNYC wrote:

Wrong!!! That is Booster Gold's behavior!! He's the same way in the comics!! Always thinking about fame! and having that same behavior as well.

Not sure who're you're directing that at, dude. But he hasn't been of that mentality for quite some time since the events of Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

antdude

[46]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 27
    Enthropii wrote:
    PowerSurgeX wrote:

So the kid is Iron Man?

Lol. Yeah, a lot of Booster's behaviour and actions seems to have been ripped from Iron Man 2.
    SMallville likes to rip a lot of things.

Enthropii

[47]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 23
    antdude wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    PowerSurgeX wrote:

So the kid is Iron Man?

SMallville likes to rip a lot of things.

Yeah. Remember that Saw episode?

bmoshier

[48]Dec 30, 2013
    • level: 46

Booster Gold is from the future and obviously knows about Clark Kent's future and about Lois Lane. Skeets has access to all of history up to when Booster Gold stoled home. It is clear he knows Clark Kent is the Blur and he will become Superman. During the episode it is also clear he keeps going after Lois Lane for an interview and endorsement and to this point everything seems fine, but for one point. We know Clark and Lois marry based upon the Homecoming episode, which also shows the world and thus history books record Lois and Clark becoming man and wife. Additionally, by this point in the time line, history would show them engaged. Thus how can Booster Gold expect to get any help from Lois Lane?

If Booster Gold wanted the support of Lois Lane he would need to go back in time to before her falling in love with Clark Kent.

OK, now you know my concern. Can anyone help me see th flaw in my reasoning, understanding, etc OR is there a flaw in the story line for this episode? :-)