We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Charade (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 104
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/23/10 episode "Charade" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 23
    Ha, first!

Can't wait as usual, the promotional stills look promising. (i.e. The Blur standing behind Lois and having a glowing crest, not sure what it's for but it looks interesting)

Enthropii

[3]Apr 18, 2010
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Ha, first!

Can't wait as usual, the promotional stills look promising. (i.e. The Blur standing behind Lois and having a glowing crest, not sure what it's for but it looks interesting)

They travelled into the '70s. Blur got neonprints to look cool.

BAGTbird

[4]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 10

In which episodes has Maxwell Lord appeared in the past? Either my memory is bad, or he debuted before I started following every episode about 3 seasons ago. He seemed like he came out of nowhere, and I was left wondering who the dude with the glowing blue hands was.

How many players are the game now anyway? It seems like we have:

Clark, Watchtower, JSA

Checkmate: Waller, the White Queen

Lord, the Black King

Red Queen

Zod & the Kandorians

Tess

It's all a jumbled mess in my head. I can hardly keep straight what any faction is trying to do.

jwgrlrrajn

[5]Apr 23, 2010
    It was an okay episode, but Clark's reluctance to give up his secret as well as Lois' refusal to find out about said secret drives me up the wall.

We, the viewers know what happened the last time he wasn't willing to trust a girlfriend with his secret. (and I'm pretty sure we all remember the hell it put both us and him through)

Anyway, time for a new random theory about the red queen...

It's Carmen Sandiego.

12chris6

[6]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 18
    It was a decent episode. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out who the red queen is. Please someone tell me it's an actual reference to the DC Comics. I think the red queen is Martha Kent because she almost always wore red and she's guest starring soon. Just Kidding, but it really is pissing me off that I can't figure out who she is.

dman_dustin

[7]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 8

12chris6 wrote:
    It was a decent episode. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out who the red queen is. Please someone tell me it's an actual reference to the DC Comics. I think the red queen is Martha Kent because she almost always wore red and she's guest starring soon. Just Kidding, but it really is pissing me off that I can't figure out who she is.

Didn't realize Martha Kent had sexy legs.

I'm also starting to think the red queen is Lana though. At first I thought it was Tess since she has red hair but since she's the black/white bishop/knight I don't think we need to be"punk'd" like that; especially given Tess's very unusual characterization this season.

And lol at the Carmen Sandiego theory.

Edit: Okay Tess was the white knight

2nd Edit: Although very unlikely it very well could be Chloe (meaning I wouldn't be surprised). I just think Lana makes the most sense considering she actually has power as well as the fact she has a devious side.

3rd Edit: While not Smallville related my opinion on the matter comes from the huge smallville preview error. Anyway I think CW really needs to do a system's check, because I was really annoyed when they showed last Thursday's preview, instead of the right one (up until the last smallville advertisement before smallville). And I also remember a preview where Clark fights with Zod, which didn't happen in this episode, so I'm really getting sick and tired of messed up previews or future episode previews claiming to be next time's preview. Now maybe I shouldn't blame CW, but since I have some experience in the manner, it almost sounds like they hired some newbie to work on these things and he couldn't find the right preview or something but regardless it looks sloppy. Now note My some experience comes from a particular way my broadcasting class recorded school news, and if networks do it in anyway similar....

Edited on 04/23/2010 10:23pm
    Edited 4 total times.

FLY_CLARK_FLY89

[8]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 2

this show is starting to becoming way to one tree hill like.....every episode is about feelings and love and so fourth its frickin ridiculous. like what the heck is going on did smallville get a new writer that previously was the writer for young and the restless or the oc. like dont get me wrong i liked the oc but seriously theres a time and a place like at the end of the episode upgraded zod was in the fortress with his army and he gave them all powers and clark is more worried about protecting lois and finding out why some guy got out of jail like wtf.......also clark knows zod is bad hes the reason his planet blew up, and he possessed lex and tried to kill him and what not then he went to the future in lois's mind and saw that zod enslaved mankind and stripped him of his powers and hes off running around playing the love game with lois like come on, its the lana bs all over again. plus zod lied to him about powers like seriously zod isnt even his family member. zod is more devious then lex and he never trusted lex like what the heck and also whats going on with that martian guy. also im pretty sure the red queen is lana lang or chloe. also what the heck happen to kara i know that was along time ago but this show loses alot of characters each season its confusing. last time i remember she got her memory wiped and she was lost somewhere. that kara thing might be a lapse in memory. maybe someone can jog it for me.

all i have to say is clark needs to put the whole zod and army with powers who can all fly and he cant first like come on his dad tought him how to have sex but not to fly this is just getting ridiculous now.........you know how easy it is for clark to learn how to fly.

1. find a tall building or land mass jump off

2.believe you can fly

3. fly

OR.

4.hit the ground dust yourself off and try it again

5. seriously not hard

like im still going to religiously watch this show but tbh it is getting completely messed up theres way to much going on at once, to many antagonist like each episode so many important things that need to be addressed get left out like zod and army with powers.

like you got the martian guy doing whatever, white queen, red queen, black knight, zod and army, tess, the justice league, clark, chloe, lois, oliver ex DA guy now.

that70sshow2000

[9]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 15
    this is the cw, guys. after 9 seasons of love triangles, relationship angst, and other soap opera antic i don't know why it surprises people now that this show can be like the oc, one tree hill, etc at times.

in fact, i compared characters back when lex was still on the show and the similiarities to oth is pretty cool lol:

Lex/Clark=Lucas/Nathan; like brothers, fight over women, get along sometimes, argue other times, deep down love each other like brothers.

Chloe/Clark/Lana triangle=Lucas/Peyton/Brooke triangle.

Dan Scott=Lionel Luthor.

Ma and Pa Kent=Karen and Keith Scott.

FLY_CLARK_FLY89

[10]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 2

stilll clark needs to fly he cant face zod and his army...girls are nothin but trouble he needs to cool the lois jets and crack down on zod. he's the real threat.....not red queen white queen black knight, DA guy and whoever else there is CW stop fin adding bad guys you have enough whatever happend to one antagonist lol those were the days.

alirk

[12]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 22

I don't know about you all, but I'm really starting to get annoyed with the whole Lois not quite finding out about Clark's secret. Seriously?

Edited on 04/24/2010 12:45pm

RustyBattleship

[13]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 7

Not a bad episode, but quite confusing in many respects. I barely remember the DA being tried for murder, but have forgotten who or when. That guy with the blue glowing hands, who the heck is he?

Good special effects though of Clark diving through the glass cylindrical hologram just as his face was coming into focus. But where did "blue hands" disappear to?

I don't think the Red Queen is Chloe, though she has the resources to keep watch on everybody. By the way, I really liked that Green Jacket she was wearing. It looked very good on her.

Talking about looking good, Lois in a Bunny suit? I wonder if they got permission from Playboy to use that costume.

Erica did very well in her scenes showing deep emotion for "The Blur" and the need for not knowing who he is as it would endanger her and everyone else around her. That's true except that several people already know Clark is "The Blur" --- Oliver (Green Arrow) Queen, Chloe, Tess, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Lana, Zod, Jason (who found Kal El's space ship after a tornado)andothers with or without super-human powers.

So, eventually she is going to have to find out that her lover, Clark Kent, is Kal-El the Blur. And as Clark promised in this episode, he will protect her (to the best of his ability) as he has for all the others.

One last thing: Flying: In the past, when they showed Clark jumping straight up with his ability "to leap over tall buildings in a single bound", he bent his knees and the ground underneath his feet compressed downwards from the force of the jump (every action has an equal and opposite reaction). But lately, he is just shown going straight up. No knee bending, no crunching of the ground (or roof top as shown in this ep).

I think he already knows how to fly but the producers are teasing us with it. Sure, Clark did Mach 4 on the ground to get to the Kent farm, but that's because he is used to doing that and knows the way very well. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a future episode actually shows him flying and "confessing" to Chloe that he had overcome his fear of heights and now has the power to fly. But to keep The Blur in continuity as a ground-based critter, he limits the amount of flight time he puts in and is waiting to surprise Zod with it.

My guess for the Red Queen? Lana of course. She has the super-human abilities plus the effects of Green Kryptonite to take down Zod and his platoon of warriors. Besides, after leaving the show, Kristin's feature length movie of being a Kung Fu expert never made any headlines. (I haven't even seen any release dates or reviews).Also, her latest gig on "Chuck" is more of walk-ons thanthat of a major character. Laura Vanderboot (Supergirl) left the show to do "V" so she has a steady job with worthwhile scenes and dialogue. I think Kristin would jump at the chance to return to "Smallville" to do at least a few episodes to get a paycheck.

RoryDownes

[14]Apr 24, 2010

I think Lana is the Red Queen, and the martian works for her and they are planning against Zod and everyone else... also, i think Lana will return hopefully, because if memory serves me correct she's probably the only one who could defeat Zod and his army... her with kryptonite skin and all.. Also i'd like to see the return of Laura with the red queen..

Edited on 04/24/2010 1:32pm

thecrapgamer

[15]Apr 24, 2010
    Odd that now people are actually hoping for Lana's return...lol

KingofIPirates

[16]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    Fairly good episode overall. Got off to a satisfying start and remained so throughout despite a few deficencies within the plot such as Clark not using his super speed to take down the Black King, allowing him to escape and the photographer just happening to show up in front of Lois which felt rather forced. Even so I liked how they addressed the intricacies involving the problems that could arise between a three-way of Clark, The Blur and Lois. it would be a hilarious yet ridiculous plot twist if the Red Queen turns out to be Tess given her character's ubiquitous status this season.

pgsuperfan

[17]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 25

All I want to know is when is "the Blur" going to lose that black trench coat and earn his SUPERMAN tights and cape and fly?

Edited on 04/24/2010 4:37pm

Kalel18

[18]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 11
    What a mess!

The sudden change of heart by Lois (not wanting to know the Blur's identity) is so contrived. The writers must have come up with this jem of a plot device around the time they found out the show was being renewed for season ten. The Clois relationship was moving along nicely, serious, yes, but fun, and not too intense. It could have remained that way, no problem. But no, that wasn't good enough for them. They got a tenth season and decided they had to give us another angst ridden soap opera of a relationship, which is bound to devolve into Clana redux.

Don't you writers know that you really don't have to revisit the putrified remains of past plot lines. That whole crew of writers is long gone, that story is dead and buried. Leave it alone. Don't go there with Clark and Lois. Please! Uuugh...I think I'm going to be sick.

Note to FLY_CLARK_FLY89: I proposed the exact same solution about six months ago. Jump Clark! If you fall and crack the pavement, get up, dust yourself off, and repeat process till you get it right. Eventually you'll get tired of falling and figure it out.

BAGTbird, I'm with you. Too many players. It's all so confusing. I don't think the writers even know who's who anymore. And just who the hell is this Lord dude with the blue hands? Was he in one of the two or three episodes that I may have missed in nine years?

Waller, the White Queen. Tess, the White Castle. Can I get a cheeseburger, maam? Chloe, Watchtower. Ollie, the Emerald Archer. Red Queen, Lana??? Lord, the Black King (a.k.a. Manos de Azul). Zod and the Kandorans. Where's the blue Pandorans?? JLA, JSA, Legion of Superheroes. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! I'm sooo confused...aargh.

MPJohnstone

[19]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 8

alirk wrote:

I don't know about you all, but I'm really starting to get annoyed with the whole Lois not quite finding out about Clark's secret. Seriously?

Yeah it only took them about 60 years for that to get sorted out inthecomic.Wink

RustyBattleship

[20]Apr 24, 2010

Kalel18 wrote:
    What a mess!Waller, the White Queen. Tess, the White Castle. Can I get a cheeseburger, maam? Chloe, Watchtower. Ollie, the Emerald Archer. Red Queen, Lana??? Lord, the Black King (a.k.a. Manos de Azul). Zod and the Kandorans. Where's the blue Pandorans?? JLA, JSA, Legion of Superheroes. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! I'm sooo confused...aargh.

Perhaps that's why the number of pages on this forum have dropped from 15 or 20 per episode to only 5 max. Some of the episodes are so poorly done that some fans have found other things to do on a Friday night. Others are so confused they don't know what to say.

Also this forum has been muddled up where you have to be a professional computer programer to find the link to rate the episode from 1 to 10.

Ooh! Ooh! Just thought of something. When Lois whacked Clark with that right cross, it really looked like a human (stunt person) hitting another human (stunt person). Remember that episode where Clark takes on a giant phantom ina fight cage? Lois in her sexy red vinyl hits Clark in the stomach and doubles over in pain as her fist is almost broken (like hitting the side of a Battleship turret). It would have been nice to explain (in the recap of the opening) that Clark's fast/slow motion lenses in his eyes saw it coming and only reacted as an Earthling would.

Earthling. I HATE that word. Sounds like we are just bacteria on a blue pebble floating around in space. Then again (after viewing the latest Hubble photos) maybe we are.

anthem47

[21]Apr 24, 2010

I enjoyed this one, but one part cracked me up. Lois turns up to Maxwell Lord's big event and I'm like:

Me: *remembers intro* Maxwell Lord ownsThe Talon?Wait...that wasn't the Talon? Sure *looked* like the Talon!

Heh, that set is so distinctive, they'd have to redress the hell out of it to render it unrecognisable. They would've had more luck redressing Watchtower. But no just being mean, I did like this episode.