Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Charade (possible spoilers)

anthem47

[21]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 6

I enjoyed this one, but one part cracked me up. Lois turns up to Maxwell Lord's big event and I'm like:

Me: *remembers intro* Maxwell Lord ownsThe Talon?Wait...that wasn't the Talon? Sure *looked* like the Talon!

Heh, that set is so distinctive, they'd have to redress the hell out of it to render it unrecognisable. They would've had more luck redressing Watchtower. But no just being mean, I did like this episode.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

homer813

[22]Apr 25, 2010
    RustyBattleship wrote:

Perhaps that's why the number of pages on this forum have dropped from 15 or 20 per episode to only 5 max. Some of the episodes are so poorly done that some fans have found other things to do on a Friday night. Others are so confused they don't know what to say.

it also doesn't help that there's nothing but moaning and groaning in these forums. after 9 seasons of it, it gets old. i'm just saying...there just seems to be more whining and complaining about how bad the show is.

that70sshow2000

[23]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 15
    ^Exactly, with all the whiners on this forum now hardly any of the people who actually want to chat about the episodes don't because the whiners are so annoying and prevalent. Plus a night switch never goes well. CW was stupid to put it on Fridays.

This forum is going down hill. I used to love coming on here and browsing, reading like literally THIRTY pages for a single episode consisting of everyone's analysis on the episode.

RustyBattleship

[24]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 7

homer813 wrote:
    RustyBattleship wrote:

Perhaps that's why the number of pages on this forum have dropped from 15 or 20 per episode to only 5 max. Some of the episodes are so poorly done that some fans have found other things to do on a Friday night. Others are so confused they don't know what to say.

it also doesn't help that there's nothing but moaning and groaning in these forums. after 9 seasons of it, it gets old. i'm just saying...there just seems to be more whining and complaining about how bad the show is.

That's also true. Even us die-hards have fallen victim to slamming the writing, acting, etc. Perhaps we are expecting too much. Thinking back, the show really doesn't have to follow a specific storyline as in the old Saturday Matinee serials of long ago. Filler episodes don't have to follow Zod around all the time as they are a story of their own and should be viewed as such. Fillers expand the abilities and liabilities of the characters in other plots.

In reality, I record and watch each episode just for the value of being entertained. Sure, sometimes I'm not as entertained by an episode as I was by another. So, let's offer some compliments for a change as I think the show really deserves a better critique than many of us have given.

All of the actors and actresses that played the main characters from season 1 to now have improved tremendously. Some of us may not like the idea of some of them being written out of the show (Lex, Lionel, Kara-El, Lana, etc.). But for the most part it was at their request to go on to other things.

The sets are very impressive and my hat is off to the Special Effects and CGI teams for doing a wonderful job. However, I have often humorously wondered with the location scenes what the neighbors think about all the American flags that seem to be all over the place. Well, I guess they know that either Smallville or V is being filmed over there with a lot of Canadians getting a paycheck.

So a filler episode doesn't follow what we may think should be the main story line (fighting Zod week after week for example). The fillers give some expansion of the characters and their destinies and provide the actors a chance to improve on his occupation. This episode was more of a filler episode than a story line about figures on a chess board. So it gave Tom and Erica a great chance to expand and show the range of emotions of their characters from anger to love, sadness to happiness.

Keep it up guys. I will still be tuned in for season 10.

Edited on 04/25/2010 3:44pm

Kalel18

[25]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 11
    RustyBattleship wrote:

Earthling. I HATE that word. Sounds like we are just bacteria on a blue pebble floating around in space. Then again (after viewing the latest Hubble photos) maybe we are.

Well maybe not bacteria, but very small fish in a very large pond at least.

FLY_CLARK_FLY89

[26]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 2

why are you whining about the whiners. this show is getting worse and worse. its most likely going to get cancelled before clark even learns to fly or put on a cap and lose the trench coat.....also at above i totally forgot about how lana and her kryptonite suit would rape zod and his army lol. i guess if she comes back clark doesnt have to worry about zod lol. also at above i know that there is no real logical reason why clark cant fly its not as difficult as you may think in all the seasons clark hasnt even made a complete attempt at learning to fly pathetic.....he knows he can even hiscousincould fly zod can fly itsobviouslynot hard......ill give clark one potential reason as to why he cant fly yet. he was raised by humans so unlike kara or zod he somewhat believes hes human. clarks human traits and morals are preventing him from flying...to kara and zod flying is normal but to clark it is not.........that is all in the future episodes to come i hope theyre are less soap operaish....i know smallville has been always sappy and teen druamaish but its getting over the top these days.....im enjoying fringe and legend of the seeker over smallville these days.....

that70sshow2000

[27]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 15

How's it getting over the top now? The only soap operaish aspect is Lois and Clark's relationship, and EVERY genre of show has some kind of love story in it. It USED to be filled with soap opera elements. This show used to be teeny bopper central. At least it's been maturing since season 8. Look back and think about episodes like season 4's prom...wtf was that? That was way worse than anything season 8 and 9 has done and that episode is from the so called "glory days." I remember every **** about Lana and the witch storyline and so on and now that all of that is finally gone, people find something else to **** about. It's ridiculous.

Blanch1987

[28]Apr 26, 2010

that70sshow2000 wrote:

How's it getting over the top now? The only soap operaish aspect is Lois and Clark's relationship, and EVERY genre of show has some kind of love story in it. It USED to be filled with soap opera elements. This show used to be teeny bopper central. At least it's been maturing since season 8. Look back and think about episodes like season 4's prom...wtf was that? That was way worse than anything season 8 and 9 has done and that episode is from the so called "glory days." I remember every **** about Lana and the witch storyline and so on and now that all of that is finally gone, people find something else to **** about. It's ridiculous.

I agree. This has improved A LOT in the last two seasons. But then again, I never liked Lana and hated the Clana drama.Honestly, Idon't miss the old HS days (unlike OTH lol).

Edited on 04/26/2010 9:26am

Kalel18

[29]Apr 26, 2010

anthem47 wrote:

I enjoyed this one, but one part cracked me up. Lois turns up to Maxwell Lord's big event and I'm like:

Me: *remembers intro* Maxwell Lord ownsThe Talon?Wait...that wasn't the Talon? Sure *looked* like the Talon!

Heh, that set is so distinctive, they'd have to redress the hell out of it to render it unrecognisable. They would've had more luck redressing Watchtower. But no just being mean, I did like this episode.

And you didn't even mention the "exterior" street set where two cars traveling in opposite directions would have a seriously tough time passing each other without one going up on the curb, it's so narrow. LMAO, it doubles as a back alley, main street, telephone booth location, shopping district, restaurant location, etc. Basicaly, it serves for every exterior urban location now-a-days.

The last time I can remember an urban exterior - other than Main St. Smallville - that actually appeared to be outside was when Lex shoved dear dad, Lionel, out the window of his office, and he landed on the street between LuthorCorp and the Daily Planet (a few years ago).

There must be some SERIOUS budgetary constraints on Smallville. Even most of the special effects, these days, are little more than fast cuts with some simple CGI thrown in. I'm not complaining about it, just pointing it out. I'm sure they are doing the best they can while staying within budget. It's just too bad that CW won't pony-up enough money for the producers to have a little more freedom in how they shoot a scene, or how they use special effects.

Morspeed

[30]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 9
    Why oh why do Smallville writers continue to end their shows on such ridiculous cliffhangers? They did something similar in Crossfire (I think that is what it was called, the episode where they first kissed). Anyways, they end the episode with a scene that they clearly will not pick up with next week. Who here expects Clark to let the question just hang there without waiting for an answer from Lois? Who here wouldn't have wanted to see that answer? Christ! These scenes matter, stop ending the episode there because you think it is a good cliff hanger. You want a good way to end an episode while keeping people guessing? Look at the end of Absolute Justice, and the end of Checkmate, those were good. This was just cheap.

RustyBattleship

[31]Apr 26, 2010

Morspeed wrote:
    Why oh why do Smallville writers continue to end their shows on such ridiculous cliffhangers? .

Cliff hangers is standard operating procedure for all serialized adventure shows starting with the Saturday matinee movies in the 1930's. The endings of each episode was heavily edited to give you the impression that the hero (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Gene Autry, Batman, Superman, etc.) have been shot, cremated,hanging onto the edge of a500 foot cliff (where the term '"cliff hanger" came from), etc. It made you go back the next week to see all the detail scenes cut out that shows the hero escaping his mortal fate.

The writers of Smallville are trying to carry on that tradition. However, today's audience is much more sophisticated and probably well over 16 and it is difficult to come up with something that really holds our attention. Also, directors, editors and sponsors are probably sticking their noses in and the episode ending (as well as the trailers) come out a bit choppy.

However, in Charade, you got to see the legs of the Red Queen and there have already been several comments on this thread where fans are guessing who the Red Queen really is. Though not a traditional "cliff hanger" of one of the main characters being in mortal danger, it is doing its job of holding our interest and desire to make sure we don't miss the next episode.

breenlax5

[32]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 4

anyone think the Red Queen could be Martha?

RustyBattleship

[33]Apr 26, 2010

breenlax5 wrote:

anyone think the Red Queen could be Martha?

I rather doubt that. Though she is a Senator and has some political power, the only reason she would get personally involved is because Kansas is in her jurisdiction.

Besides, though Annette O'Toole is a very attractive red-head (and played an adult Lana Lang in one of the Superman movies) I doubt that style of dress and leg stockings would be her type.

The Red Queen would have to have more power and much greater financial resources than as a Senator to take on the complex situations she is involved in.

I still think it would be Lana Lang. But I could be wrong on both counts as the writers and producers of the show may be bringing in a whole new actress as well as a whole new character. It would be quite a pleasant surprise if Terry Hatcher is doing double time along with Desparate Housewives as she is also a former Lois Lane. The producers like to bring in former Superman cast members in at least one episode such as Dean Caine and Helen Slater.

Edited on 04/26/2010 5:25pm

haldrey

[34]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 22
    The Red Queen - my heart is with Martha but my money is with Lana.

alirk

[35]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 22

I wonder when they'll reveal who the Red Queen is? It would be a good cliffhanger for the finale, but I hope they don't do that!

Kalel18

[36]Apr 27, 2010
    RustyBattleship wrote:

I still think it would be Lana Lang. But I could be wrong on both counts as the writers and producers of the show may be bringing in a whole new actress as well as a whole new character. It would be quite a pleasant surprise if Terry Hatcher is doing double time along with Desparate Housewives as she is also a former Lois Lane. The producers like to bring in former Superman cast members in at least one episode such as Dean Caine and Helen Slater.

I agree, that would be a pleasant surprise. My money is on Lana .

SpaceWay2007

[37]Apr 27, 2010
    I agree. This forum has been getting kind of empty. Before, there were so many people on here, commenting and analyzing each new episodes. I know most of you don't know me because I rarely contribute, but I have been coming here, reading what others had to say. And I have to say, I do miss those times when there were hundreds of posts on a single thread.

jwgrlrrajn

[38]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 23
    Agreed.

Although, that's not necessarily such a bad thing, it doesn't take up as much of my time now.

dman_dustin

[39]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 8

Morspeed wrote:
    Why oh why do Smallville writers continue to end their shows on such ridiculous cliffhangers? They did something similar in Crossfire (I think that is what it was called, the episode where they first kissed). Anyways, they end the episode with a scene that they clearly will not pick up with next week. Who here expects Clark to let the question just hang there without waiting for an answer from Lois? Who here wouldn't have wanted to see that answer? Christ! These scenes matter, stop ending the episode there because you think it is a good cliff hanger. You want a good way to end an episode while keeping people guessing? Look at the end of Absolute Justice, and the end of Checkmate, those were good. This was just cheap.

Let me take a crack at this one:

Because it was necessary.

Clark sort of gave her an ultimatum (the question sounded like an ultimatum despite not being one), and it would be too expectant on Clark for Lois to answer such an important so quickly without thinking about first. Granted it would make more sense to say something definitive without such a long pause but maybe Lois realized she doesn't know and wants to think about it after some thought, maybe even continuing the relationship to see how it pans out without the blur.

So it wasn't given cliffhanger status because they thought it was a good place for a cliffhanger but because it was necessary to give Lois time to answer properly. Even if she answers the question after seemingly after a few minutes (because the next episode picks up where they left us last time) it still gave viewers a break from the "drama" and in my mind it allowed Lois to take the time she needed to say something definitive because 4 or so minutes of Lois being silent and then responding would be rather boring and I can't see Clark just sitting there sort of pushing her in the "come on are you going to answer? hello in there' sort of way before she actually did say something.

RustyBattleship

[40]Apr 27, 2010

SpaceWay2007 wrote:
    I agree. This forum has been getting kind of empty. Before, there were so many people on here, commenting and analyzing each new episodes. I know most of you don't know me because I rarely contribute, but I have been coming here, reading what others had to say. And I have to say, I do miss those times when there were hundreds of posts on a single thread.

Well, one of the things that made this forum drawn out to several pages were fans that had their TV on one side or the other of their computer and typed in each scene as it occurred. They were not writing a review, just copying what they are seeing. This is a credit to there typing abilities but totally uneccassary in my mind. To me, they were just taking up space and spoiling the episodes for those in other parts of the world that have not seen the show yet.