Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Checkmate (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/9/10 episode "Checkmate" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Enthropii

[2]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 23
    First.

Let's all hope for more shower scenes.

CaptainHarkness

[3]Apr 5, 2010

I'm really looking forward to this one. John Jones,Amanda Wallerand the Checkmate storyline.

Edited on 04/05/2010 5:39pm

jwgrlrrajn

[4]Apr 5, 2010
    Enthropii wrote:
    First.

Granted, you get a shower scene with Waller being the only person there. (hey, it happened in Justice League)

But anyway, this should be interesting, I hope the person playing Waller does a better job of making me think of her as THE Amanda Waller this time around.

CaptainHarkness

[5]Apr 5, 2010

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    First. Let's all hope for more shower scenes.
    Granted, you get a shower scene with Waller being the only person there. (hey, it happened in Justice League) But anyway, this should be interesting, I hope the person playing Waller does a better job of making me think of her as THE Amanda Waller this time around.
    While I think Pam Grier is just awesome, I still wished CCH Pounder had been cast as Amanda Waller. I really liked the voice and cold heartedness she gave to the character on JLU.

Enthropii

[6]Apr 5, 2010
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    First.

Granted, you get a shower scene with Waller being the only person there. (hey, it happened in Justice League)

But anyway, this should be interesting, I hope the person playing Waller does a better job of making me think of her as THE Amanda Waller this time around.

Oh come on!! I didn't need that image in my head...

jwgrlrrajn

[7]Apr 6, 2010
    This is what's known in the gaming community as, "pwned."

jrsgalaxy

[8]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 14

Hope the storyline and writing are better than the last episode.

KingofIPirates

[9]Apr 9, 2010
    • level: 32
    Wow a rather good episode.. great even(by Smallville standards). The overall plot was rather well done, special effects were impressive especially the scene when Clark took out the agents along with those still shots which was masterful. Even the dialogue was note worthy. This was truly the best episode of the season.

Enthropii

[10]Apr 9, 2010
    Still haven't watched... frankly, after last week's disaster, I'm phobic about this.

But hey, at least no Callum Blue, so yay!

jwgrlrrajn

[11]Apr 9, 2010
    Calling it now, the Martian is working for either Lex or Darksied.

I liked the episode overall, but the way...
    ***SPOILER***
    In a way, it looks like they're setting Tess up to die later on, which I don't mind one bit, her character annoys the crap out of me. I've taken to wearing diapers during the show on more than one occasion for that reason. (ok, not really, but you get my point)

The special effects were awesome, and John getting out of that trap the way he did was insanely awesome!

12chris6

[12]Apr 9, 2010
    • level: 18

This episode was AWESOME!!! I totally loved John Jones phasing into the chamber holding the blood. Badass!!! One thing I didn't understand, was the red chess piece? Anyone knows what that represented?

Redbird89

[13]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 7

Great Episode! Love the plot and the special effects were SPECIAL. I am guessing that John Jones is working for Lex.

RustyBattleship

[14]Apr 10, 2010

Now THAT'S the kind of episode I like. Action, mystery, suspicion and TREMENDOUS special effects.

Finally Clark is using his X-ray vision more often. And zipping around as he was (forget what building that white dash was zipping into) almost looks like he's ready for his first flying lesson.

The bullet catching scene using stop action, slow motion, etc. was extremely WELL DONE and WELL EDITED.

Only one weapon goof up; the way Tess threw the knife at Oliver. Accurate and high penetrating knife throwing does not include multiple spins in that short of a distance. At the distance she was at, a single turn would have done it. Gripping further up the blade would only need a half turn. Also the knife blade was ALMOST the right shape to give decent penetration. But NOT that far through the book. Having been a pretty fair knife thrower myself, I should know (even did a couple of shows for a friend needing extra credits for a class he was taking in college - besides pinning a Rattlesnake to the ground at theEl Toro Marine rifle range). For penetration, the best knife ever made was the Fairbain Commando knife. Narrow double edged blade with a heavy handle for enertia. I penetrated a 2 X 6 with it but only a quarter inch appeared on the other side. A book has no grain to split open as a board does so that knife scene was very dramatic but to me very impossible to do.

Back to the show. The concept of a corrupt and dangerous government agency is getting old hat. As a separate private group of war mongers would have been more logical. Then again, there are some government "offices" that do things Congress doesn't even know about except to keep funding it and soap boxing for their next election. Having worked for the Department of Defense (US Navy) I witnessed a few things like that, but they were for the GOOD of our defense and to PREVENT war -- not start it. What I did know is also old hat now and it's in my book on the history of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.

Just LOVED John Jones' trick of getting out of the fire ring. But Oliver's escape from the truck showed him sliding on the door way too far for the speed of the truck. But it was good special effects with the sparks and all.

Question, when Jones placed his hand over the Check Mate woman, was he only reading her mind or was he erasing her memory of what Clark looks like?

Oh, one more thing. Her suspicion that Aliens are on our planet brought out the laughter from me. Particularly since she was talking to a Kryptonian.

There was a mention in an above post that there seems to be a build up of having Tess Mercer killed off. Well, I don't like her interference either or the entire character. However the beautiful Cassidy Freeman plays the part so well I would rather see her as an ally to Clark and Oliver than as an enemy. I was very impressed with the early scene of her retrieving a gun, loading it, adding the silencer, etc. and sliding down a laundry chute. Well done (except I always keep mine loaded to begin with -- umm no silencer though because the bullets are supersonic and it wouldn't work).

Oh man, am I ever rambling on. Sorry folks. But as opposed to last week's ep, I really enjoyed this one.

antdude

[15]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 28
    It felt like Watchmen in some scenes, Matrix Revolution, etc. Not a bad thing. I enjoyed it since I enjoyed its JLA two hours movie. I can't wait to see more!

mr_snakeabee

[17]Apr 10, 2010

Finally smallville's going back in the right direction. The plot and special effects where really good and it made me forget how bad last weeks episode was.

CaptainHarkness

[18]Apr 10, 2010

This was one of the best of the season IMO. I'm not entirely convinced that she's preparing againt Darkseid anymore, maybe just the Kandorians? I dunno, we'll see how it all unfolds.

Dewbak75

[19]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 18

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Calling it now, the Martian is working for either Lex or Darksied. I liked the episode overall, but the way...

I can't imagine Jones working for either of those two. He's just not that guy. I have a hard time thinking they'd actually bring Darkseid into this story. He's major league on a level unlike any villain the show has ever done. I don't think it's possible they could do him justice on Smallville's budget. It's bad enough we got a watered down Doomsday, I don't want to think about how they'd cripple Darkseid. I think it's more likely Jones was contacted by the JSA, considering it's been announced that Hawkman and Stargirl are returning later in the season. They've certainly got a grudge against Checkmate.

EVOLV3

[20]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 6

This supposed other player is very interesting. It's possible that it may be Intergang or maybe Lex, can't wait to find out though. Also, does anyone know what the red chess piece was supposed to represent?