Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Checkmate (possible spoilers)

buddrew01

[21]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 1

I don't think John Jones would be working for Lex or Darkseid. Why would Lex send in the martian manhunter to unexpose the kryptonians? Darkseid if they are staying somewhat true to the comics would just send his forces in and try to take earth for himself with his powers.

I think that Jones is working for a woman seeing as it was a red queenthat was sitting in the middle of the chess board at the end of the episode. Who that is I can't wait to find out.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[22]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 22
    Great episode, a lot of things happened in this one but it also created many more questions. By the way who did the mind erasing thing, John Jones? I kind of missed something there.

KingofIPirates

[23]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 32
    buddrew01 wrote:

I don't think John Jones would be working for Lex or Darkseid. Why would Lex send in the martian manhunter to unexpose the kryptonians? Darkseid if they are staying somewhat true to the comics would just send his forces in and try to take earth for himself with his powers.

I think that Jones is working for a woman seeing as it was a red queenthat was sitting in the middle of the chess board at the end of the episode. Who that is I can't wait to find out.

Yeah I'm thinking it's the Red Queen, who's the equivalent to the White Queen.

CaptainHarkness

[24]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 23

KingofIPirates wrote:
    buddrew01 wrote:

I'm thinking the Red Queen is Martha Kent. There I said it!

pgsuperfan

[25]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 25

I don't trust Tess is she going to change intoa "good guy" ?

aislingxireland

[26]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 8

graphics were class... and the whole chess thing was super cool .. my favourite epsiode so far

dragon22a

[27]Apr 10, 2010

I liked the episode and mostly liked how we got to see John Jones at his peak. He had all the classic martian manhunter qualities. The Shapeshifting, the mind reading, the phasing, and even the weakness to fire. Liked how he erased Wallers memory.

Whoever John is working with, they have an agenda and that agenda does not include revealing the identities of the league members. Makes me think that it is not Lex or Darkseid but some other player than is possibly on the side of good. Could be Batman but it would not explain the red chess piece. Could possibly be the Crimson Avenger.

However, Checkmate does have a russian branch. Would explain the red chess piece but not why John Jones would be working with them. Perhaps the branch has broken off and is trying to take over, taking down the main branch for going too far. Also, there is an off shoot called The Agency which may be part of it. Also, the Suicide Squad has gone freelance in the past and might have gone rogue.

As for the rest of the episode, Tess's storyline was a bit annoying but I did enjoy Chloe and Oliver's relationship. This episode showed a lot of growth. Oliver and Chloe grew closer and admitted that their relationship is more than just physical. Oliver showed Tess that no matter what she says, he will protect his friends. Also we finally got the long needed talk between Clark and Chloe. Admitting how they both have made mistakes. I hope that this serves as a way for their friendship to begin to rebuild.

MaStAViC

[28]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 6
    This is the best Smallville episode of the season, maybe even in the last few seasons. From the first few minutes, it had that "big episode" feel, and I was rather excited, something that Smallville hasn't done in a while (the only other episode I truly enjoyed to this extent was the JLA episode).

The storyline was great (not being a filler episode is always a plus), and I really liked the action, special effects, and how the episode was shot overall.

This episode alone turned out better than the entire recent season of NBC's Heroes. I try not to compare the two, but they're the two superhero series I watch, and comparing them is sometimes inevitable.

KingofIPirates

[29]Apr 10, 2010
    RustyBattleship wrote:
    Question, when Jones placed his hand over the Check Mate woman, was he only reading her mind or was he erasing her memory of what Clark looks like
    Seems he did both.

jwgrlrrajn

[30]Apr 10, 2010
    You know, I take back what I said about John working for Darksied or Lex...

It is now obvious that he's working for Lana.

Enthropii

[31]Apr 10, 2010
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

FINALLY!! Somebody with real sense.

RustyBattleship

[32]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 7

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    ... It is now obvious that he's working for Lana.

Does she have any other job openings, say for a Septigenarian knife thrower?

Edited on 04/11/2010 10:52am

Dewbak75

[33]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 18

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    You know, I take back what I said about John working for Darksied or Lex... It is now obvious that he's working for Lana.

Interesting idea, but I like the Martha suggestion more. They did announce that she would be appearing before the end of the season, it would be very cool if the Justice League got a government connection of their own in Senator Kent.

homer813

[34]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 6
    speaking of Martha, it amazes me that more senators aren't killed. if the wives can just take their positions, you would think someone would do it on purpose.

master_m11

[35]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 12
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

KingofIPirates wrote:
    buddrew01 wrote:

I'm thinking the Red Queen is Martha Kent. There I said it!

lol It would be nice to see her again.

kanniballl

[36]Apr 12, 2010

Enthropii wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

I was thinking the same thing (until the end of the ep, see below). Had it been a "king" chess piece I'd say Luthor all the way, but I don't think he'd go with a queen piece (save for the fact it's the most powerful piece on the board).

When we last saw Lana, the character had finally matured. She wasn't the vengeful ex-girlfriend or manipulative Luthor wanna-be, but an actual adult with a strong will. I guess that was the whole point to her conditioning with the Seals trainer.

Add to that a line last season from the L.E.G.I.O.N. member about how she respects what Lana is doing and I guess her setting up an organization fits.

The *only* thing that makes me think otherwise is Jon's response. When Clark mentions that he suspects Jon is working for someone, Jon's response is along the lines of "not everything is black and white." To me that sounds like he's in a morally gray area and that Clark probably wouldn't approve of Jon's ally on moral grounds. And I can't imagine why he wouldn't trust Lana considering how they left things, which is why my mind was trying to imagine why Lex would use a red Queen piece .

Edited on 04/12/2010 8:24am
    Edited 3 total times.

Enthropii

[37]Apr 12, 2010
    kanniballl wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

I was thinking the same thing (until the end of the ep, see below). Had it been a "king" chess piece I'd say Luthor all the way, but I don't think he'd go with a queen piece.

When we last saw Lana, the character had finally matured. She wasn't the vengeful ex-girlfriend or manipulative Luthor wanna-be, but an actual adult with a strong will. I guess that was the whole point to her conditioning with the Seals trainer.

Add to that a line last season from the L.E.G.I.O.N. member about how she respects what Lana is doing and I guess her setting up an organization fits.

Granted, as far as I know the comics don't have Lana doing anything like that but we already know Smallville left comic book canon a long time ago.

The *only* thing that makes me think otherwise is John's response. When Clark mentions that he suspects Jon is working for someone, Jon's response is along the lines of "not everything is black and white." To be, that sounds like he's in a morally gray area and that Clark probably wouldn't approve of Jon's ally on moral grounds. And I can't imagine why he wouldn't trust Lana considering how they left things.

Erm... you do know that jwgrlrrajn and I were being sarcastic right?

But given the idiocy that is the crew of Smallville, I guess that's possible.

Kalel18

[38]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 11

I'm not sure how I would feel about Martha as Red Queen. I guess it would depend on how they write the character. If she were to just use her political savvy and connections, heading up some secret Senate investigation, o.k. Just so they don't turn her into some caracature Ninja woman.

I think the RedQueenis more likely to be "someone who will remain nameless", someone who's name no longer crosses my keyboard, neither forward nor in reverse. Someone who has been mentioned above.

One thing I'm certain of: John Jones is NOT working for Lex. More likely, the Red Queen.

alirk

[39]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 22

A pretty good episode. Def pushed the story along. My only complaint: No Lois Frown

kanniballl

[40]Apr 12, 2010

Enthropii wrote:
    Erm... you do know that jwgrlrrajn and I were being sarcastic right? But given the idiocy that is the crew of Smallville, I guess that's possible.

I guess re-reading it I can see the sarcasm.

It doesn't truly rule out my logic though, they ended Lana's arc with her actually being a mature and capable person (if not a hero). Though I thought the episode itself was weak (as was the whole super-Lana concept) we at least finally got a normal Lana depiction which we hadn't seen in many a season.

But as I said, the whole morally gray thing from Jon shot that down in my mind since I feel that he's working for the Red Queen.

Are there any male Checkmate members in the comics, who's rank is Queen? I know they have the rule-of-two's, but I don't recall hearing of one.

Edited on 04/12/2010 12:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.