Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Dominion (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/29/11 episode "Dominion" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptainHarkness

[2]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 23

First!!! At last!

It'll be interesting to see how Zod has changed in almost a year. Well with the exception ofthe beard.

Enthropii

[3]Apr 26, 2011
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

First!!! At last!

It'll be interesting to see how Zod has changed in almost a year. Well with the exception ofthe beard.

It's Smallville, don't expect much more than that.

GodessofPurple

[4]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 6

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    Actually, Zod's clone from season nine shouldn't be in the Phantom Zone because Clark sent him and the rest of the Kandorians to New Krypton. As for the Zod that is supposed to be in the PZ, he's supposed to be incorporeal. So, hopefully, they'll explain how he's no longer a Phantom wraith.

Other than that, though, I'm looking forward to seeing Clark and Oliver put into the ring together. Kinda reminds me of the Charmed season six premiere, "Valhalley of the Dolls, Part 1". Plus, it'll be interesting to see Oliver acknowledge the darkness within himself and try to deal with it.

Edited on 04/26/2011 12:02am
    Edited 2 total times.

alirk

[5]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 22

I'm interested to see what happens with Ollie...

CaptainHarkness

[6]Apr 26, 2011

GodessofPurple wrote:

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    Actually, Zod's clone from season nine shouldn't be in the Phantom Zone because Clark sent him and the rest of the Kandorians to New Krypton. As for the Zod that is supposed to be in the PZ, he's supposed to be incorporeal. So, hopefully, they'll explain how he's no longer a Phantom wraith.

Unless when the Kandorians arrived at their destination after the events of 'Salvation' they figured out a way to send Zod to the Phantom Zone as punishment and the Phantom version of Zod went into the body of clone Zod, creating this whole new super evil version. But hey that's just speculation on my part.

GodessofPurple

[7]Apr 26, 2011

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    GodessofPurple wrote:
    CaptainHarkness wrote:
    Unless when the Kandorians arrived at their destination after the events of 'Salvation' they figured out a way to send Zod to the Phantom Zone as punishment and the Phantom version of Zod went into the body of clone Zod, creating this whole new super evil version. But hey that's just speculation on my part.
    Good speculation.

RaizenYusuke

[8]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 28
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

GodessofPurple wrote:

CaptainHarkness wrote:

I love this idea too bad it's Smallville so it probably won't happen.

KingofIPirates

[9]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 32
    Halfway decent episode, plot was a little generic as was the dialogue and the only thing I really liked was the fight scene.
    Edited on 04/30/2011 10:01am

RaizenYusuke

[10]Apr 29, 2011

CaptainHarkness wrote:

GodessofPurple wrote:

CaptainHarkness wrote:

Awesome speculation man. You called it right on the money the original Zod spirit went into the clone to make a a true Zod.

antdude

[11]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 27
    Meh. Soso episode. It's basically 300 and Gladiator movies combined.

Next week's episode looks decent. Then, finally the series finale! I am seriously waiting for that series finale!

RaizenYusuke

[12]Apr 30, 2011
    antdude wrote:
    Meh. Soso episode. It's basically 300 and Gladiator movies combined.

Next week's episode looks decent. Then, finally the series finale! I am seriously waiting for that series finale!
    I agree with everything you said. The slow motion sword fight was really not needed. I was hoping for Zod to do more. I wanted to see him fight more, torture Clark a bit more. I liked his manipulative streak too bad Clark saw through it and made a plan. I was hoping he would be more like original Zod when his spirit possessed the clone. As a sappy as this sounds I really liked Lois in this episode. That scene where she aimed a gun at Tess and said being a super heroes wife meant not accepting defeat made me smile. To this series credit Clark and Lois's relationship despite being focus of a lot of episodes hasn't made me roll my eyes at all yet. I am surprised by that.

soccer23123

[13]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 12

General Zod we meet again.Yell

Haha other wise great episode. Glad to see the "darkness" again. Can't wait till the finale!~Cry

Redbird89

[14]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 7
    My gosh! Mr. Blue makes a great Zod IMO. His acting was top notch. Pretty cool that the original Zod phantom went into the younger Zod's body. Now he has the memories of two lives and is even stronger for it.

I really liked this episode and thought it was well done. I can't wait for the finally!

Bizarro1968

[15]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 2
    I just got done watching the episode Dominion and I have one question. At the end of the episode Oliver says they are looking for that weaponwhich can defeat darksied. The location is discovered by the combination of the veritas journals and Hawkmans journal. This is described as Aquamans quest because he knew Orion used the weapon to defeat Darksied before. How does Aquaman know who Orion is, much less how to defeat drakside. If Aquaman is working from ancient Atlantian history they are not making that very clear.

Enthropii

[16]Apr 30, 2011
    Bizarro1968 wrote:
    I just got done watching the episode Dominion and I have one question. At the end of the episode Oliver says they are looking for that weaponwhich can defeat darksied. The location is discovered by the combination of the veritas journals and Hawkmans journal. This is described as Aquamans quest because he knew Orion used the weapon to defeat Darksied before. How does Aquaman know who Orion is, much less how to defeat drakside. If Aquaman is working from ancient Atlantian history they are not making that very clear.

God, I actually completely forgot Darkseid was in this season...

rachese

[17]May 1, 2011

Bizarro1968 wrote:
    I think he was talking about Hawkman...

RustyBattleship

[18]May 1, 2011
    • level: 7

A pretty good show. The fight scenes were well choreographed.

I half expected Lana to jump into the PZ as her Kryptonian retention would have been real handy about then.

Still wondering about Oliver. He was supposed to see the doctor to have that small horse shoe taken out of his head. Did he or didn't he?

In the trailer, it looks like Super Girl is back. Well, Laura has to get a paycheck somewhere. I've noticed that the station has cancelled "V". So she is out of work (the writers probably should not have killed off Jane Badler).

Also noticed that "Smallville" is cancelled. That makes sense but hopefully not before May 13th.

In the confrontation between Tess & Lois, Lois said that she knows what the Phantom Zone was like because she's been there. That's true, but she wasn't supposed to remember that. Note to writers: Re-read your instruction book on Continuity.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised (actually very pleased) if the Finale had ALL of the characters back for one last gathering. If I were the producer, I would film the last 10 or 15 minutes of each major actor & actress to appear before the camera thanking all of the fans and maybe telling about a funny thing that happened to them in an episode. And I mean ALL including Helen Slater and others from former Superman shows that had a walk on and even Terrance Stamp who was heard but never seen.

Then finish it off with the farmer and his family that actually own the "Kent Farm" wiping their brows and saying, "Whoo. Maybe we can get some peace and quiet around here again."

SIDE NOTE: I saw an announcement that in the upcoming series of Superman comic books that The Man of Steel will be renouncing his American citizenship and no other mentions of doing his deeds "--- in the American way". I truly hope that all Superman fans boycott that change and refuse to buy any of the books. I haven't bought any for many years, but this really ticks me off.

Edited on 05/01/2011 3:28pm

anthem47

[19]May 1, 2011

RustyBattleship wrote:

In the confrontation between Tess & Lois, Lois said that she knows what the Phantom Zone was like because she's been there. That's true, but she wasn't supposed to remember that. Note to writers: Re-read your instruction book on Continuity.

Whoa, that's a good call actually. I assume Clark filled her in on those events after she found out his secret, but that wouldn't help her "knowing" what the Phantom Zone is like.

RustyBattleship wrote:

SIDE NOTE: I saw an announcement that in the upcoming series of Superman comic books that The Man of Steel will be renouncing his American citizenship and no other mentions of doing his deeds "--- in the American way". I truly hope that all Superman fans boycott that change and refuse to buy any of the books. I haven't bought any for many years, but this really ticks me off.

I must have been living under a rock lately, because I completely missed this until you mentioned it. Hmm, this is tricky. I found this article at http://screenrant.com/superman-renounces-american-citizenship-benm-113080/that explains the situation pretty well. I'll mention at the start I'm not American or even particularly patriotic about my own country, heh, so that might colour my view a bit.

I totally get why this would tick people off, it could be seen as a rejection of America in a way, is Superman stepping "toward" the world or "away" from the US, if that makes sense. Citizenship itself is a funny thing that we attach a lot of value to beyond basic legal rights. It's almost a certificate of "I'm with you guys". So yeah it's a loaded thing to do.

On the other hand, the way the article describes it sounds kind of interesting (despite the fact the author seems to be saying the story is probably not canon). It sort of reminds me of how Dr Manhattan was treated in Watchmen. He was so closely tied to the US that he was seen as a weapon, his very existence probably brought some heat down on them. I can see why someone like Superman might want to send a message to the world that he's not protecting the US per se, but everyone.

But...really I don't think a superhero could be neutral. As soon as you start defending anyone (politically) you're taking sides, making a judgement call, using your own subjective ideas of right and wrong (I think that's why we like supervillains, they're usually pretty straightforward). The issue's content about Superman defending Iranian protestors and his actions being associated with the US is fairly simple(well, not really) but what about when things get really murky? Does he make a best guess? What gives him the right to make that choice? Oh no I'm moving towards superhero-vigilante philosophy, I could go on about this for hours, haha.

Anyway! Not arguing, I guess my main point is ... this'll probably sound like fence-sitting, but honestly I think it's an interesting idea, glad a comic went there...but maybe better they didn't do it with such a huge icon like Superman because he's loaded with so much extra symbolism.

Hmm, why would Superman have citizenship in the first place?

jwgrlrrajn

[21]May 2, 2011
    I don't remember seeing Lex in there, but we're almost at the finale, so I don't care too much.

Well, it's nice to see that Zod grew the beard, both literally and figuratively. The episode wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad. I'm still waiting for the finale. (the next episode sounds like it's been done before, so I'm not horribly thrilled with the idea)

BTW, did anyone besides me think they ripped the apartment decorating debate from Lois & Clark? It seemed kind of similar to the wallpaper hanging debate in season four. (I think it was the one where Lois was put on trial for murder)