Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Dominion (possible spoilers)

Farmerluk2

[22]May 2, 2011
    • level: 6
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I don't remember seeing Lex in there, but we're almost at the finale, so I don't care too much.

Well, it's nice to see that Zod grew the beard, both literally and figuratively. The episode wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad. I'm still waiting for the finale. (the next episode sounds like it's been done before, so I'm not horribly thrilled with the idea)

BTW, did anyone besides me think they ripped the apartment decorating debate from Lois & Clark? It seemed kind of similar to the wallpaper hanging debate in season four. (I think it was the one where Lois was put on trial for murder)

LOL, I was thinking about Lois and Clark as well when I saw that scene xD

I didn't notice Lex either. A quick question about Lionel. What happened to him after Darkseid met him? Have we had any indication? I remember that "Lionel-Cam" and wasn't sure what that meant. Are they looking for him? Have they locked him up?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Enthropii

[23]May 2, 2011
    • level: 23
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I don't remember seeing Lex in there, but we're almost at the finale, so I don't care too much.

Well, it's nice to see that Zod grew the beard, both literally and figuratively. The episode wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad. I'm still waiting for the finale. (the next episode sounds like it's been done before, so I'm not horribly thrilled with the idea)

BTW, did anyone besides me think they ripped the apartment decorating debate from Lois & Clark? It seemed kind of similar to the wallpaper hanging debate in season four. (I think it was the one where Lois was put on trial for murder)

I'm more concerned about something else: does this mean that they sold the farm?

CaptainHarkness

[24]May 2, 2011

Wow, I was surprised I guessed the Zod thing.

I liked it, I was always a fan of Callum Blue's Zod so it was nice to see him back. I thought Justin Hartley did a great job directing. Looking forward to next week.

jwgrlrrajn

[25]May 2, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

I'm more concerned about something else: does this mean that they sold the farm?

I imagine so, they said they were going to.

thribs

[26]May 4, 2011
    • level: 8

RustyBattleship wrote:

SIDE NOTE: I saw an announcement that in the upcoming series of Superman comic books that The Man of Steel will be renouncing his American citizenship and no other mentions of doing his deeds "--- in the American way". I truly hope that all Superman fans boycott that change and refuse to buy any of the books. I haven't bought any for many years, but this really ticks me off.

Why? It made sense to why he did it in the comic; its not like its going to change much except when he does something in another country it's not seen as an act by America and therefore does not have to worry about polictical ramifications.

Remember Clark Kent is still American!

Enthropii

[27]May 5, 2011
    thribs wrote:

RustyBattleship wrote:

SIDE NOTE: I saw an announcement that in the upcoming series of Superman comic books that The Man of Steel will be renouncing his American citizenship and no other mentions of doing his deeds "--- in the American way". I truly hope that all Superman fans boycott that change and refuse to buy any of the books. I haven't bought any for many years, but this really ticks me off.

Why? It made sense to why he did it in the comic; its not like its going to change much except when he does something in another country it's not seen as an act by America and therefore does not have to worry about polictical ramifications.

Remember Clark Kent is still American!

I'm no American, and can honestly say I'm not a patriot anywhere. But I never looked at Superman as an American. If anything, all of that American Way harping just made me feel the character was utilised as a propaganda tool for idealisms long gone. As a person who doesn't live in America, we see a very different side of the country and as such, this declaration has made a lot of us like Superman a lot more. He's already my favourite hero, and now he's just super epic.

kanniballl

[28]May 5, 2011
    • level: 18

[QUOTE="Enthropii"]

thribs wrote:

I'm no American, and can honestly say I'm not a patriot anywhere. But I never looked at Superman as an American. If anything, all of that American Way harping just made me feel the character was utilised as a propaganda tool for idealisms long gone. As a person who doesn't live in America, we see a very different side of the country and as such, this declaration has made a lot of us like Superman a lot more. He's already my favourite hero, and now he's just super epic.

I really don't care about it either way.

I recall when "Superman Returns" came out, people were flipping out that The Chief left out "the American way" in his little bit in the briefing room. How it was a slap in the face, bla bla bla.

Those people need to grow up.

It makes sense to me on a number of levels.

Story-wise: as mentioned his actions and statements will no longer be seen as official or even "unofficial" US stances and policy. The US also does not get a free "boost" in popularity because "their" hero saved some nation.

Real-life: we're a global economy now. I live in the US but I spend a good portion of my day on the phone/IM/etc with colleagues in Europe. You have to open yourselves to markets, an "All American Hero" just doesn't cut it anymore (except The Cap, but he's The Cap). Look at the latest GI Joe film, quality aside at least they made the Joes a multi-national organization representing a lot of places.

Meanwhile, as suggested, the US isn't the most popular place right now to a lot of the world. So if your hero is an alien that jumps around the world like a flea then why tie him to the US. The guy can have his 3 meals a day across the 4 corners of the globe. He speaks dozens of languages and knows their cultures. He saves people everywhere. etc

RustyBattleship

[29]May 5, 2011
    • level: 7

I am so sorry that I brought this subject up. I guess it is not politically correct to be proud to be an American (as other members of the American Legion Post I am the Commander of this year). Nor should it be politically correct to be proud to be English, Scot, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander(our closest and most trusted allies). Nor should it be politically correct to be proud to be French, German, Welsh or Russian (all in my family tree -- that I know of).

Nor is it politically correct that my wife is proud to be an American. At the age of 10 she was ducking communist bullets in the Hungarian Revolution. Since marrying me, she has learned how to shoot back. She is proud of her Hungarian heritage, but America is now her country that she will fight for if necessary (at OUR ages at that).

I have always liked "Smallville" even when some of the episodes could have used better story lines or better editing. I found it to be a very entertaining show and just loved it when actors and actresses of former Superman venues were given some parts in it (such as Helen Slater &Christopher Reeve).

I will watchthis week's episode and next week's Series Finale. I will monitor the postings on this board. I may or may notsubmit a post about the show. That depends on the hour of the night.

But I will not reply to any more anti-American postings.I am proud of the work I did for the Department of Defensein the name of the United States of America. Those peoplecan go to hel -- er -- the Phantom Zone.

Again, I apologize for bringing the subject up. But I do NOT apologize for being an AMERICAN. The monitor can delete this posting if he wants to. There is an Amendment to a certain documentabout Freedom of the Press that allows editing as well as speaking out.

Well, enough of that. I just want to finish off (on forum subject matter) that I have appreciated and enjoyed the show for the past ten years and applaud all the actors and crew that made at least one show on TV worth while watching for good, clean entertainment that is so lacking on many other shows.

kanniballl

[30]May 5, 2011

RustyBattleship wrote:

I am so sorry that I brought this subject up. I guess it is not politically correct to be proud to be an American (as other members of the American Legion Post I am the Commander of this year). Nor should it be politically correct to be proud to be English, Scot, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander(our closest and most trusted allies). Nor should it be politically correct to be proud to be French, German, Welsh or Russian (all in my family tree -- that I know of).

I have no problem with people that are patriotic (so long as they're not zealous).

I just thought it was silly at the back-lash over that scene in Superman Returns; it was the #2 or #3 complaint besides the whole dead-beat father thing and the christianity overtones. "How dare they leave out that part of his oath." Bla

And meanwhile a couple pages in the back-story of a comic are getting so much press.

I think it's alright to think good of your country. Sure it's also good to understand that some of your countries actions might not make you popular in the rest of the world but that doesn't mean you should hide the fact that you're from said country.

Edited on 05/05/2011 10:27pm

GodessofPurple

[31]May 6, 2011

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    GodessofPurple wrote:
    CaptainHarkness wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see how Zod has changed in almost a year. Well with the exception ofthe beard.
    Actually, Zod's clone from season nine shouldn't be in the Phantom Zone because Clark sent him and the rest of the Kandorians to New Krypton. As for the Zod that is supposed to be in the PZ, he's supposed to be incorporeal. So, hopefully, they'll explain how he's no longer a Phantom wraith.
    Unless when the Kandorians arrived at their destination after the events of 'Salvation' they figured out a way to send Zod to the Phantom Zone as punishment and the Phantom version of Zod went into the body of clone Zod, creating this whole new super evil version. But hey that's just speculation on my part.
    I know it's already been said, but... Did you call it or what?!

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    antdude wrote:
    Meh. Soso episode. It's basically 300 and Gladiator movies combined. Next week's episode looks decent. Then, finally the series finale! I am seriously waiting for that series finale!
    I agree with everything you said. The slow motion sword fight was really not needed. I was hoping for Zod to do more. I wanted to see him fight more, torture Clark a bit more. I liked his manipulative streak too bad Clark saw through it and made a plan. I was hoping he would be more like original Zod when his spirit possessed the clone. As a sappy as this sounds I really liked Lois in this episode. That scene where she aimed a gun at Tess and said being a super heroes wife meant not accepting defeat made me smile. To this series credit Clark and Lois's relationship despite being focus of a lot of episodes hasn't made me roll my eyes at all yet. I am surprised by that.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at the Zach Snyder special effects. Although, when Clark leaped in the air towards Oliver, it actually looked pretty bad@$$.

RustyBattleship wrote:
    But I will not reply to any more anti-American postings.I am proud of the work I did for the Department of Defensein the name of the United States of America. Those people can go to hel -- er -- the Phantom Zone.
    *stands up and slowly starts applauding, encouraging others to do the same*

Enthropii

[32]May 6, 2011
    GodessofPurple wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    antdude wrote:
    Meh. Soso episode. It's basically 300 and Gladiator movies combined. Next week's episode looks decent. Then, finally the series finale! I am seriously waiting for that series finale!
    I agree with everything you said. The slow motion sword fight was really not needed. I was hoping for Zod to do more. I wanted to see him fight more, torture Clark a bit more. I liked his manipulative streak too bad Clark saw through it and made a plan. I was hoping he would be more like original Zod when his spirit possessed the clone. As a sappy as this sounds I really liked Lois in this episode. That scene where she aimed a gun at Tess and said being a super heroes wife meant not accepting defeat made me smile. To this series credit Clark and Lois's relationship despite being focus of a lot of episodes hasn't made me roll my eyes at all yet. I am surprised by that.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at the Zach Snyder special effects. Although, when Clark leaped in the air towards Oliver, it actually looked pretty bad@$$.

Imagine 2 hours of that next year when the Zach Snyder directed movie comes out.

kanniballl

[33]May 6, 2011

RustyBattleship wrote:

Oh. My. God

After all of the news and posts I decided to pick up the electronic version of the comic in question on Comixology.

THIS is what people are having a cow over?

It's a back-story in the end of the book. With a bunch of other ones, including Lois arranging a dinner-party for Clark with the Legion of Super Heroes, and Jor-El hiring a contractor to make the life-support system in baby Kal-El's ship.

I don't even know if these things are considered cannon.

I thought people were flipping out due to the scene happening in the story (proper), like after Superman beat Lex or something.

Meanwhile there wasn't even a single anti-American thing written. Just that he realized he caused an international incident when he decided to join a protest for 24-hours, increasing the number of participants from a few thousand to over a million.

Edited on 05/06/2011 7:52am
    Edited 3 total times.

RustyBattleship

[34]May 6, 2011
    • level: 7

Apparently when that item came up I read it a bit too hastily (especially since I think the artwork was horrible). Been too busy with my mistress (one of four) who wants me to move her down to San Pedro. And she wants an Ocean view at that. You can see her pic on this site: http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

jrsgalaxy

[35]May 8, 2011
    • level: 14
    GodessofPurple wrote:

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    GodessofPurple wrote:
    CaptainHarkness wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see how Zod has changed in almost a year. Well with the exception ofthe beard.
    Actually, Zod's clone from season nine shouldn't be in the Phantom Zone because Clark sent him and the rest of the Kandorians to New Krypton. As for the Zod that is supposed to be in the PZ, he's supposed to be incorporeal. So, hopefully, they'll explain how he's no longer a Phantom wraith.
    Unless when the Kandorians arrived at their destination after the events of 'Salvation' they figured out a way to send Zod to the Phantom Zone as punishment and the Phantom version of Zod went into the body of clone Zod, creating this whole new super evil version. But hey that's just speculation on my part.
    I know it's already been said, but... Did you call it or what?!

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    antdude wrote:

RustyBattleship wrote:
    But I will not reply to any more anti-American postings.I am proud of the work I did for the Department of Defensein the name of the United States of America. Those people can go to hel -- er -- the Phantom Zone.
    *stands up and slowly starts applauding, encouraging others to do the same*

Then you probably won't like the next Superman Movie. Zach Snyder is directing it.

GodessofPurple

[36]May 8, 2011

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    GodessofPurple wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    antdude wrote:

Then you probably won't like the next Superman Movie. Zach Snyder is directing it.
    Yeah, I heard. In fact, I was looking forward to it, until I heard who was directing and who was starring (Amy Adams as Lois Lane?! Yell).

thribs

[37]May 9, 2011
    • level: 8

I'm not a fan they are rebooting it. They should treat it like a Godzilla movie where they can do anything they like with superman as long as the first (197 movie is still in continuity.

kanniballl

[38]May 9, 2011

OK, I understand that Smallville is in its own little universe un-affected by comic cannon.

And I'm relatively OK with some of the changes that have taken place, such as Doomsday making an appearance before Superman is established. Even Lex learning Clark's secret. And I've been gritting my teeth during this whole "Blur" thing that's gone on WAAYYY too long, but bearing it.

But now the Toyman knows his identity? And presumably everyone else in his little evil league? Really?

At this point I can almost imagine a magical mind-wipe, making Lois + Lex + Toyman + etc forget Clark's identity. People suggested it in Season 1 but thought it was silly. Now the fact that any Tom, Dick, and Harry knows Clark's secret is just a bit much.

Edited on 05/09/2011 5:36am
    Edited 2 total times.