Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Finale (possible spoilers)

JaiCSC

[81]May 14, 2011
    • level: 17

Holy ****ing Crap!!!

That was incredible. Not faultless but still pretty great. Generally I had a smile on my face the entire time.

A few of the negatives out of the way.

I knew the wedding drama was gonna grind things to a halt, Tess died, No last words between Jonathan and Jor-El, No epic fight for Clark (still have yet to see a live action Superman story where he really cuts loose), Tess Died!, memory wiping Lex a little cheap (though a great mirror scene with seeing Lex's memories wiped), Lex was a clone, he's still not the same Lex that Clark was once friends with or the one who Clark had the most animosity towards and the memory wipe kind of clinched that, No Martian Manhunter actually a lot of people we didn't see this year like Bart, Victor, AC and TESS DIED AND IT ENDED UP BEING GLOSSED OVER!!!

The good bits.

Where do I begin?

It wasbeautifullyshot, it wasbeautifullyedited, The musical score was brilliantly used.

I liked the ending Chloe has gotten, I liked that she telling the story to her son (I assume). It wasn't overpowering nor did it get in the way of things.

The conversation between Lex and Clark. That was great, the animosity was there. It was only a brief scene but that was seriously worth the hype. I liked how the conversation was steered to a point like in The Dark Knight where it set up how they will clash for the rest of their lives. The scenes where we see everything that shaped Clark and Lex were greatly mirrored. if I have one thing to say though, they should have done the scene where Tess was killed first then have Clark meet Lex, They could have just said the memories would have taken a little longer to fade away, it would give chance for Clark to feel bad about Tess and solidify that Lex can't be saved.

Loved the truly apocalyptic feel this had. Being an avid Buffy fan I'm very critical of end of the world scenarios and Smallville's previous two just weren't great. Doomsday was a disappointment and The kandorians invasion was all talk. This one was on par with one in Vessel/Zod.

Great seeing a handful of characters return, Chloe, Martha, Lex, Jonathan.

BLOODY LOVED THAT JONATHAN WAS THE ONE WHO HANDED CLARK HIS SUIT! SERIOUSLY THAT WAS AWESOME!

Oliver. I really liked how this episode highlighted that Clark and Oliver are best friends. Clark frees Oliver from the darkness and Oliver goes to stop Desaad, Granny Goodness and Godfrey. My favourite story is the Ramayana and in that story Rama's brother feels it as his duty to help his brother prevail by defeating his enemies generals and warriors and it reminded me of that.

Tess. Her redemption story comes to an end and she gained it. This season Tess has been really compelling and engaging and the story was good for the bulk of it. It's a sad ending but she passes away with the knowledge that she was worth savingandClark indeedsucceededin saving her. Also she does hand off a giant **** you to Lex by telling her that Clark saved her as well.

And for the last time I get to do this for Smallville. *Inhales* To paraphrase Derek Zoolander she is really, really, ridiculously good looking, but that doesn't even begin to describe herattractiveness. She is insanely gorgeous, she is boombastically fantasically pretty, people from the 1950's would call her dishy, the irish would call her bonnie and not only are her eyes angelic they look like the irishcountrysideafter a soft rain, her hair flows like a sea at night with a red sky, her nose is adorable,her cheekbones are perfect, she has agreatfigureand her legs are top notch. And there ends my crazy stalker obsession with absolutely freaking and awesomely stunning and beautiful Cassidy Freeman/Tess Mercer.

Clark can FLY AT WILL!!! Not quite as awesome as it was in Crusade but with the suit shots never going to happen it was still pretty impressive. And what a way to save the world Clark, thrusting APOKALIPS out of the Solar System!

The ending scenes. Brilliant to see Aaron Ashmore return though it is a bit annoying with the whole that wasn't Jimmy this is Jimmy from Doomsday. Lex is President, nice touch. The closing shot, that was a great way to end it. Smallville had to end in a iconic way with an iconic shot and they picked a goodun.

That's the end of it. Smallville has ended. 10 years of joy, fun, rage and tears have come to a close. Clark Kent has become The Man Of Steel

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kruptedseed

[82]May 14, 2011
    • level: 11

Like everyone else, I have to say my goodbye to ten (10) years . I really liked the ending. No need for me to recap. I have in joyed my time in the Smallville forum. And I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone, for the next big show. Up! Up! And Away............

MuhammadShah

[83]May 14, 2011
    • level: 7
    *sigh* 10 years... been watching since 2001. =(
    I loved the finale. It was awesome and a great ending to a great show.. (Prison Break's ending sucked) anyway a lot of people complaining how they didn't show him in the suit clearly and I think the reason is that the Superman movie is coming out next year and maybe they didn't want Tom's Superman to overshadow Henry Cavill's Supes. I give it a 10/10

anthem47

[84]May 14, 2011

JaiCSC wrote:

TESS DIED AND IT ENDED UP BEING GLOSSED OVER!!!

Haha, my mind turned to you in that scene actually!

I'm not sure where to start. Overall, I think it was a really fulfilling finale to watch. Sure there were parts that weren't perfect, but it really did surpass what I expected. And on a TV budget, I can't see how they could have crammed in much more than they did.

Chloe's role was perfect. I rewatched the pilot just before the finale and it made me reflect on a lot of things, but firstly how amazingly cute Allison Mack is (although with an extra ten years on me now, I did feel slightly guilty about that...but it's okay! Present-Allison Mack and I are still the same age! And half a world apart, but anyway...). She fit into the finale nicely. It's good to know she's there for the heroes, but still gets to live a simple life. I was glad they went there with her character in this last season. I'd always thought after she left the Daily Planet, she was always Watchtower and never Chloe anymore (and she stopped smiling). Her saying that she wanted to go back to having a normal life made sense. As the wife of a superhero, she sorta gets to do both. No doubt her Watchtower skills get a workout often, but it's not all she is.

I wasn't expecting too much from Lex, I'd already read they only had Michael Rosenbaum for one day of shooting. Knowing that might have protected me from high expectations...but with that in mind, I thought it was pretty good. He only had three scenes? But it was just enough, just enough to give hint of his future with Clark. Wiping his entire memory seemed a bit harsh, but I suppose he's had suspicions since the Pilot about Clark so they almost had to. But still...his childhood? That seems like such a pivotal part of Lex, I can't imagine him being the same person if you took all that out. It seems to go against what the show has said about him. If he doesn't remember his time at Excelsior or the way Lionel raised him...would he still be "Lex"? Hmm, anyway, maybe that's the point. He always cried about his childhood, maybe they're saying Lex will turn out the same, abusive memories or not.

I didn't mind the wedding stuff, but I knew it would bother people taking up that much time in the finale. You have to solidify their relationship and bring it to a peak. Also remember the early seasons? Despite the freak of the week plots, rewatching the pilot reminded me how much the show was a super-powered The OC at the start. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that relationship drama was always a big part of the show. I mean we didn't even see another hero until...was it Bart in Season 4? The show changed over the course of ten years, I guess it had to as Superman came closer to being, but this sort of stuff is a big part of the show's DNA.

Lex's resurrection, Lionel, the heart...er, a bit awkward, but it worked. I get the feeling they had several false starts at getting MR back, as if they hoped for it in the first episode of Season 10 but it didn't work out, so the whole "flawed clone" rewriting happened, then they hoped to build up to it over the season but it looked like it wouldn't happen, so they switched gears and did the Connor Kent story. And then...after all that...MR does come back, so we need *another* clone. Nice callback to why Lionel really wanted Conner though. But this is all the fun of serialised TV, part of the fun is watching the writers try to work this stuff out "live". If it were a movie there'd be rewrites, change those early scenes, but with TV your early chapters are already out there, gotta keep on going. If I'm at all right with these guesses, they did a pretty good job juggling all those balls.

I was pretty happy with how Tess's plotline turned out. I said before I wanted her to betray Clark, I liked the drama of someone trying so hard for redemption and ultimately failing. It seemed more compelling than "Clark saves everyone" again. But this was good. I'm sure Clark wouldn't have been happy she killed Lionel, but at the same time she walked into the lion's den with a plan to wipe Lex's memory...overall, that's what I want to see in characters, I think good characters have the capacity for highs and lows. That was what made Tess (and Oliver) interesting. In a world where Clark and Lois were portrayed as pretty infallible, it was good to know there were people who made mistakes. And also made the right choices, sometimes in the same episode, haha.

Great Caesar's ghost, this is turning into a long post. I hope someone finds my ramblings interesting!

Faster, quick thoughts: I googled Janet Dawson thinking I was supposed to know who she was. Nope, some random. Should have got Kat back for that, hehe, I always had a soft spot for her.

Was it just me or was Chloe's "nooooo" at the wedding a bit half-hearted? It sounds like the sort of no you do when you're poking fun at slow-mo no's.

Oliver three-shots the Unholy Trinity? Well, I don't think we had the time or budget for another fight, but that was a bit underwhelming. I suppose all three of them were better as puppetmasters than they were fighters anyway, so fair enough.

Loved seeing Lois in action on Air Force One. Aw, makes me think this show had legs in it still.

Seeing John Glover lipsync to lines like "you will obliterate my darkness from the rest of the world if you are not stopped" is going to be hammy no matter how you do it, hehe. Watch Mr Glover roll his head when he gets to "stopped", it's a bit naff. But that's okay, it's good fun!

The sign crumbling into LxCorp was cute.

Okay, longer comment for this one. When they came back from the memory lane sequence and Clark was hovering, there may have been a slight tear CryIt was good. All these years I expected one of two things, either "oh no something's falling, must find a way to stop it! If I was ever going to fly, now is the time!" OR "oh no he's falling! If he was ever going to fly, now is the time!", hehe. This is sort of the baby version of the second one, but it was presented really well. It took me a moment to realise we weren't in slow-mo, he was just hovering. So happy.

Similar feelings when he burst through the fortress roof, changing in mid-flight. That was great. I know a lot of people around the web have commented that we never get a good look at Tom in the suit, lots of head shots and CGI. I didn't mind, it worked. I know historically Tom has said he didn't want to wear the suit but I do wonder why. Does it make him look fat? Show too many bulges (or not enough)? It was two minutes of one episode dude, what's the deal? I suppose it is pretty difficult to make that suit work, the low cut neck for one, and the sleeves that just sort of...end. I think put some subtle cuffs and a Mandarin collar on it and it wouldn't look that bad.

Was so glad Aaron Ashmore had that cameo as the real Jimmy. That was one loose end that had to tie up. AND I'd read quite a few spoilers I must admit, and never heard he was going to be in it! So that was a nice little surprise. And at least we got Perry's voice...nothing on camera? Michael McKean must have quite literally phoned it in. By that point I was smiling too much to care.

My final verdict: Loved. It.

kooreo

[85]May 14, 2011
    • level: 8

Worst Finale ever a lot of blah blah crap and then superman and darkside don't even fight WTF If this was not the last episode of the whole show I would not have waste my time on it. Big letdown. just pushing the planet out of the way feeling like the writer where looking for a easy out or being just plan lazy.

Mavoc

[86]May 14, 2011
    • level: 2

can't say this episode was bad, but i was disappointed. I am quite boggled by the lack of effort put into the script

Presidental elections are held every 4 years, (2008, 2012, 2016, 2020 not 201 this is just a sad oversight by someone on the crew.

If the first half of the episode was about them getting married and they more or less finished the ceremony, then why were they still not married 7 years later, and why were they interacting with each other as if theirrelationshipwas asecretwhen it never was? Why waste a hour of tv slowly setting up a wedding when it ending up servering no point to the finale plot of save the day and become superman

Is it just me or was clark moving really slow to get around to saving the world from a massiveplanetarycollision. I mean how many causal conversations can you have when the planet is facingimminentdoom.

Didn't Chloe go off to Star city to figure out what happened to watch tower and then just a few scenes later Oliver walks into watch tower and nothing is wrong. WTF, I'm not even sure what I should beconfusedabout by this. 1)WTF was chloe going to do to help save the day, 2) why did she go to star city, 3) why did she think something was wrong with watchtower, 4) why was there nothing later in the episode about her doing something.

Was the stuff that Tess used on Lex ever mentioned in a previous episode or even mentioned earlier in this episode because I was left with the cheating feeling of a made up plot element with no effort to explain it. Tess might as well made a wish to a genie to wipe his memory.

nightghaunt

[87]May 14, 2011

Great finale to a great show!

Not gonna get into any recaps or such, I think others have done a fine job with that. What I will do is ask a question, why did it take Clark and Lois 7 years to get married?

OmegaForteGS

[88]May 14, 2011
    • level: 10
    I think in my opinion this finale is waaaaay overrated by some users.
    It was a BAD finale, with a few fantastic scenes (Clark & Lex, Johnathan, Tom wearing the suit, John Williams theme, the epilogue aka 7 years later conclusion).

There is more bad stuff than good in this finale.

anthem47

[89]May 14, 2011

Mavoc wrote:

Didn't Chloe go off to Star city to figure out what happened to watch tower and then just a few scenes later Oliver walks into watch tower and nothing is wrong. WTF, I'm not even sure what I should beconfusedabout by this. 1)WTF was chloe going to do to help save the day, 2) why did she go to star city, 3) why did she think something was wrong with watchtower, 4) why was there nothing later in the episode about her doing something.

Was the stuff that Tess used on Lex ever mentioned in a previous episode or even mentioned earlier in this episode because I was left with the cheating feeling of a made up plot element with no effort to explain it. Tess might as well made a wish to a genie to wipe his memory.

These parts were definitely messy. I can give you my interpretation of them. Messy, but here's how I took it. Chloe and Oliver leave the Kent Farm and at that point they know from Tess's message that Watchtower has "been compromised". Now, my assumption is that Oliver doesn't remember that he was the one responsible, and Tess doesn't elaborate on "compromised". Chloe says "with Watchtower down, I gotta go to Star City to access my database". Oliver walks her out but doesn't say where he's headed. 20 minutes of episode time later (!) he walks into Watchtower and, being that he's the one who locked everything down, commands monitors on, puts in his password and everything comes back to life. We could have done with a shot of him going "everything looks fine to me!" or him calling Chloe to tell her not to hop on a plane to Star City (maybe discover she's already on one).

On your second point, I think Tess mentioned Summerholt directly, which has always been about memory manipulation and alteration. I don't think there was ever a mention of Lex developing this there though. Unless, from http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Summerholt_Institute, they're referring to this paragraph "When Dr. Curtis Knox started removing powers from meteor freaks, Lex Luthor insisted that Dr. Knox also remove their memories of their stay at Level 33.1. Given Lex's level of access to Project Starhawk, it's possible that this memory manipulation was done using technology perfected at Summerholt". That's the best connection I can find. But yeah it really came out of nowhere.

EDIT: Why does this forum constantly eat my spaces?

Edited on 05/14/2011 4:15am

dragon22a

[90]May 14, 2011
    • level: 32

I kind of wish we saw Clark in full costume after 10 years and three semi costumes. The final shot was great but to me it kind of looks like the crest was CGI'd onto a blue shirt. Despite that the crest was a good size compared to Returns. Still had the 3d aspect and the design of the Returns symbol but the size and color of the original.

Jimmy being played by Aaron Ashmore was a nice touch.

I take it that the kid Chloe is telling the story to is the shows version of Connor Hawke, Green Arrows son from the comics. It appears as though Chloe and Oliver are still together in the future and he has not moved on to Black Canary.

Threre were a few things that were missing though and a few questions left unresolved. Does Clark keep the farm and does Martha return home?, Was Jonathan just a spirit or did Jor El have something to do with his presence?

I also was a bit upset that the Justice League was never really given a name and was just called "The League" Just a throw away line or a headline in the future planet would have done fine. I understand that having them appear would take away from Clarks journey.

SupermanNYC

[91]May 14, 2011
    • level: 45
    kanniballl wrote:

Lex: His scenes were great, including his conversation with Clark. And they resolved the whole "I know your identity" thing about a well as they could. I would've been relatively OK had he kept his memories but it gave Tess something to do.

Johnathan: Considering he was dead, his scenes were as good as they could make it.

Tess: a sad ending. She tried so hard to stray from the Luthor path, only to wind up shooting someone in her last days. It was a cool fight scene though, a nice reminder of when she used to practice kickboxing.

In the end though she came through, with her dying breaths she saved Cark in the the best way possible without actually killing Lex.

Chloe: I was a little confused about her leaving the Kent house. Her hugs seemed "final" so I thought she was going to sacrifice herself or put on the helmet again. I guess it was a real goodbye hug from Allison to the cast instead of Chloe.

Flashbacks: 2 decent flashback scenes, I liked Clark's better but Lex had a good one too.

Flash Forward: a decent way to end the series. Clark is apparently a full blown Superman, and like the comics Lex eventually became the President.

Perry White: that really sounded like him, why didn't we get to see him? It seems like a waste.

The resolution to the story though... a little weak. Before the end I figured they were going to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Clark makes a big showing across the world and on camera, inspiring Hope and breaking everyone free.

2) Clark physically pushes the planet away like some Silver age stuff

We really didn't see much of either. A simple fly-over and I guess a push and it was resolved. Granted it's hard to make pushing a whole planet seem realistic.

I really thought it was going to be Clark saving people on live TV, stopping falling debris and buildings, building up Hope rapidly.

Not a bad breakdown on your part. I agree as well.

aris224

[92]May 14, 2011
    • level: 1
    So after high anticipation I finally saw the Finale. I know their budget isnt great, so I wasn't expecting to be stunned by special effects although there were some things I pretty much demanded to see (like Clark flying and wearing the suit) and other things which I dreaded but saw anyway (like the tons of time spent on changing Lois's mind).

Overall I enjoyed the finale, but some screaming flaws which I will mention below, left me with a bitter taste...

POINT #1:
    The wedding.
    This is what "ruined" what could have been a phenomenal episode... They've been building up on this relationship for the entire season if not more. We also knew from leaked screenshots, they intended to go through with the wedding. So why in the world would they make Lois have second thoughts so close to the end???? They simply WASTED valuable time (about 1/3 of the episode) to resolve a no brainer, instead of investing in some action.........

POINT #2:
    Little action, almost NO Darkseid.....
    Yep... After hearing so much about the power of the Darkness, the 3 minions get obliterated by an arrow and Lionel-Darkseid by a single punch... Oh and Apokolips gets pushed away like its made of paper... Come on guys!! It's Superman!! Give us a good fight with Darkseid or at least a cool action scene...! It's what we've been waiting for since the beginning of the show...!!

POINT #3:
    Too much time spent on Clark taking control of his destiny...
    Seriously after 10 years, you'd expect he'd have come to terms with it, but no... We still spent time on Martha and Jonathan talking him into it. The scene was excellent, but it would be better off in the previous ep.

GOOD STUFF:

Now don't get me wrong. The Finale had much of what we wanted to see!

We saw Clark fly, we saw the suit, we saw Lex and consequently a great scene in the burned mansion, Apokolips was amazing and Lois & Clark ended up together. But most importantly we saw Clark completing his journey to becoming Superman!

CONCLUSION:
    However, I can't help but feel a little dissapointed at the writers for wasting valuable time on unneccessary things like changing Lois's mind when they could have pulled out all the stops and given us a finale to REALLY remember...

Oh well, it was a nice journey!

SupermanNYC

[93]May 14, 2011
    kathiheck wrote:

Just a note to whomever wrote the recap: Jimmy is Henry's brother, not his nephew. Lois specifically said, "Your brother left some pretty big shoes to fill, Mr. Olsen." This was alluded to in the episode where Jimmy died; they revealed his real first name was Henry, and Clark gave his camera to the little boy they said was his brother.

Yep you're right, that was Jimmy's little brother. And a slide note, the little boy at the beginning of the episode was Chloe's son who will later become Speedy, Green Arrow's sidekick. Didn't like how they did that one, but I will take it. Oh and it was Chloe who gave (in the episode were Jimmy died) little Jimmy the camera not Clark.

segarion

[94]May 14, 2011
    • level: 4
    Umm, wtf? We didn't get a full shot of him in the suit. The beginning was bland, the ending was slightly disappointing. the middle part was the best part that included Lex.

thribs

[95]May 14, 2011

The finale was alright, I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get a clear shot of him wearing the custome, there was also far too much chit-chat about stuff that has been said multiple times before.

Overall I would give the show a good 7 out of 10, not as enjoyable as Lois and Clark but it did have a some good moments.

Prongsters

[96]May 14, 2011
    • level: 3

So wait...Chloe is reading the Smallville comic book to her son about a boy from Smallville learning to become Superman and at the same time, Superman still has a secret identity? I know people aren't very bright in Metropolis as Clark only needs glasses to disguise himself but nobody has honestly put the pieces together?

ChrisDawson0

[97]May 14, 2011
    Could be wrong, but I thought Mia who Oliver rescued & trained in Season 9 was Speedy?

XileLord

[98]May 14, 2011

Sure there were some things wrong with it but there were to many great scenes that made it amazing. Especially when Jonathan handed clark the suit, it brought a tear to my eye and how Jor-el told clark not to forget what really shaped him into the hero he is. I'm guessing Chloe ended up marrying Oliver and had a son because you can see the Toy arrow set.

It's kind of sad that Lana played no part in this but overall I'd give the Episode a 9.0. You never really get to see a clear shot of clark wearing the suit and whats with the elections in 2018? It should be 2016. The wedding part really wasn't bad to me at all....kind of set the mood for me.

Edited on 05/14/2011 6:52am

Enthropii

[99]May 14, 2011
    • level: 23
    That was a truly terrible finale. 10 years for this **** Wtf?! EVERYBODY else had better moments of flight than Clark. The story was just 80 minutes of rubbish. And that episode where Clark goes into the future with Brainiac kinda covered all of the "epic" stuff that we're supposed to see here. And we didn't get a single proper shot of Clark standing and wearing the costume. Wtf?!

Seriously, just wtf?!

SupermanNYC

[100]May 14, 2011

ChrisDawson0 wrote:
    Could be wrong, but I thought Mia who Oliver rescued & trained in Season 9 was Speedy?
    No, that was not Speedy. Speedy is a male, not female. Also, if you look closely after she has finished reading to her son, they show us the arrows and which the ends of them are Yellow. Yellow is a reference to Speedy colors. Which are Yellow and red.

Enthropii wrote:
    That was a truly terrible finale. 10 years for this **** Wtf?! EVERYBODY else had better moments of flight than Clark. The story was just 80 minutes of rubbish. And that episode where Clark goes into the future with Brainiac kinda covered all of the "epic" stuff that we're supposed to see here. And we didn't get a single proper shot of Clark standing and wearing the costume. Wtf?!

Seriously, just wtf?!
    I agree with you. I wanted to see a full shot of him in the costume. I mean wow!!! Come on!

Edited on 05/14/2011 7:41am