Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Smallville Cancellation Thread;

Gislef

[1]May 13, 2011
    • level: 102
    Please post all general and specific discussion on the end of the series in general, any petitions, future news, etc., in this thread.

Discussion of "Finale" would still go to that episode thread.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

azyber1

[2]May 13, 2011
    • level: 10

I heard talk of a comic or two on smallville. I will buy that for sure. Still undecided on the box set since I have most of the seasons already. I really want the documentary bad though. Hopefully it will be on the season 10 dvd.

Zawman13

[3]May 13, 2011
    • level: 3

thanks a lot for deleting my threads man, even though they were up prior to this one, and it wasn't even related to cancellation, it was referring to the disappointing ending. But somehow the thread on "name that episode" that turned out to be spiderman 2 is still up....at least mine was smallville related....

game_man1

[4]May 13, 2011
    • level: 8

if the collection comes out on blu-ray i might buy it if i ever have the spare cash. course gotta wonder how heavy that thing is.

Enthropii

[5]May 14, 2011
    • level: 23
    I'm glad this is over. Smallville seems to be a collection of the anti-talent. If all it took to defeat Darkseid was to fly through him, a Boeing could have done it.

XileLord

[6]May 14, 2011
    • level: 2

Cancellation? isn't that a bit of an overstatement? For one, the series ended on it's own terms. Even if the network wanted to renew, it wouldn't have happened.

Enthropii

[7]May 14, 2011

XileLord wrote:

Cancellation? isn't that a bit of an overstatement? For one, the series ended on it's own terms. Even if the network wanted to renew, it wouldn't have happened.

Actually yeah, Smallville has had a respectable run and I think it was the choice of the production team to end its 10-year run. I wouldn't call it a cancellation.

Edited on 05/14/2011 7:10am

SupermanNYC

[8]May 14, 2011
    • level: 45
    XileLord wrote:

Yes....The series wasn't canceled, but ended. Big difference! I was like what!! Canceled, it wasn't canceled! LOL!

azyber1

[9]May 14, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:
    I'm glad this is over. Smallville seems to be a collection of the anti-talent. If all it took to defeat Darkseid was to fly through him, a Boeing could have done it.

how can you sit through those 2 hours and not like any part of that episode, instead just hate on one scene from it. I hope you did not expect a huge million dollar fight like you see in the movies

Enthropii

[10]May 14, 2011
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

how can you sit through those 2 hours and not like any part of that episode, instead just hate on one scene from it. I hope you did not expect a huge million dollar fight like you see in the movies

I'm pissed because I went through 2 hours only to learn that it was much hype about nothing. I'm not gonna compare it to a million dollar fight scene, hell, i liked Clark vs Zod last season finale. I just need a proper, competent story. The show doesn't have to be comparable to other superhero movies but does it have to be as satisfying as Galactus is Fantastic Four 2?

azyber1

[11]May 14, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

I'm pissed because I went through 2 hours only to learn that it was much hype about nothing. I'm not gonna compare it to a million dollar fight scene, hell, i liked Clark vs Zod last season finale. I just need a proper, competent story. The show doesn't have to be comparable to other superhero movies but does it have to be as satisfying as Galactus is Fantastic Four 2?

you know more then me about comics but i have read the bigger superman comics and love superman 1 and 2 as well a few parts of superman returns. I loved lex, martha, and johnathan kent scenes with clark. Those were amazing as well as the final 5 minutes. I wont necessarily take darkseid away from this episode although apokolips looked great

SupermanNYC

[12]May 14, 2011
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

you know more then me about comics but i have read the bigger superman comics and love superman 1 and 2 as well a few parts of superman returns. I loved lex, martha, and johnathan kent scenes with clark. Those were amazing as well as the final 5 minutes. I wont necessarily take darkseid away from this episode although apokolips looked great
    The comics are more detail than watching movies. I've learned a lot by reading the comics.

azyber1

[13]May 14, 2011
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

The comics are more detail than watching movies. I've learned a lot by reading the comics.

I dont know if I can just read comics though, actually I normally buy graphic novels so those are longer but I would much rather watch a movie. Do not get me wrong I will read a book but when it comes to a comic or a movie, even the animated superman films do the trick. Maybe I should try a comic because whenever i get a graphic novel I forget about it for a month and then come back to it

azyber1

[14]May 14, 2011
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

I dont know if I can just read comics though, actually I normally buy graphic novels so those are longer but I would much rather watch a movie. Do not get me wrong I will read a book but when it comes to a comic or a movie, even the animated superman films do the trick. Maybe I should try a comic because whenever i get a graphic novel I forget about it for a month and then come back to it

SupermanNYC

[15]May 14, 2011
    azyber1 wrote:
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    azyber1 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

The GN are great too. Animation great as well.

shadowclone7290

[16]May 14, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:

They couldn't have him fight Darkseid in his true form cuz when that happened in Justice League: Unlimited he destroyed 3/4 of metropolis and still barely inked out a win. No offense to you but I can't imagine any true Smallville walking away from the finale unhappy, yes you may have had some problems with it but it was the great tribute to this show and ended the way we always knew it would. I personally loved it yes i would have liked to have the Darkseid fight resemble more of Clark and Zods fight from the season 6 premiere but it was still epic

Enthropii

[17]May 15, 2011
    shadowclone7290 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

They couldn't have him fight Darkseid in his true form cuz when that happened in Justice League: Unlimited he destroyed 3/4 of metropolis and still barely inked out a win. No offense to you but I can't imagine any true Smallville walking away from the finale unhappy, yes you may have had some problems with it but it was the great tribute to this show and ended the way we always knew it would. I personally loved it yes i would have liked to have the Darkseid fight resemble more of Clark and Zods fight from the season 6 premiere but it was still epic

As a true Superman fan, Smallville was a fresh new take. Something that I enjoyed for 3.5 seasons and tolerated for the rest. But this was just straight up bad writing on television. It's not like there was anything surprising here. Other than the novelty of seeing old actors this episode was barely final quality. The Homecoming episode was a million times more epic than this. We knew he was gonna wear the costume, we knew Lois and him were gonna get married and we knew he was gonna fly. The only thing this episode was supposed to accomplish was making the 'how' seem awesome. And they failed.

Gimmicks like seeing Schneider and Rosenbaum are awesome. But they don't make for brilliant television or a good finale. And the clip show. What the hell?! One of the most draggy and almost pointless scenes that had no crescendo whatsoever. What, was the editor out, sick? They truly butchered flight. And it almost looked like it was Jor-El's fault that he couldn't fly. I thought he couldn't fly cause he was a big ol' wuss. Good way to stat throwing stuff all over the place.

And yes, fighting Darkseid would have trashed the place. So DON'T INTRODUCE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL VILLAINS IN HIS LINE UP! They screwed up Zod the first time, they screwed up Doomsday and they almost screwed up Zod the second time. Idiots can see the pattern: Don't use super powerful villains! Especially if they're demi-gods!

alirk

[18]May 16, 2011
    • level: 22

[QUOTE="Enthropii"] we knew Lois and him were gonna get married QUOTE]

Actually, they didn't get married Wink

kanniballl

[19]May 16, 2011
    • level: 18

Enthropii wrote:
    And yes, fighting Darkseid would have trashed the place. So DON'T INTRODUCE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL VILLAINS IN HIS LINE UP! They screwed up Zod the first time, they screwed up Doomsday and they almost screwed up Zod the second time. Idiots can see the pattern: Don't use super powerful villains! Especially if they're demi-gods!

I agree.

I was shaking my head a LOT back when I heard they were brining Doomsday into Smallville. DOOMSDAY.

- Large CGI monster villain (hard to film/shoot well on a TV budget)

- Insanely powerful, enough to kill a fully mature Kal-El. Meanwhile we're dealing with Kal-Lite.

- Meanwhile the fight wound up being a 10 second bunch ofsuper pushes and a super-jump.

But Clark vs a New God? Really? Even without seeing the Doomsday debacle, they should've realized it would tank. Though I was hoping for at least one blast of the Omega beams for nostalgia's sake.

Sigh: the only good fights were when Clark was on equal footing and both sides weren't using super-speed all over the place.

I know Michael wasn't in the season and just filmed a few scenes for the fans, but really the show could've done with a Blue K fight against Lex. A green Battle Suit would've been too expensive and/or funny looking. So either Blue K or maybe using some gadgets to hurt/hold Clark before moving in with the Gold K knife.

Edited on 05/16/2011 12:28pm

shadowclone7290

[20]May 16, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:
    shadowclone7290 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:

As a true Superman fan, Smallville was a fresh new take. Something that I enjoyed for 3.5 seasons and tolerated for the rest. But this was just straight up bad writing on television. It's not like there was anything surprising here. Other than the novelty of seeing old actors this episode was barely final quality. The Homecoming episode was a million times more epic than this. We knew he was gonna wear the costume, we knew Lois and him were gonna get married and we knew he was gonna fly. The only thing this episode was supposed to accomplish was making the 'how' seem awesome. And they failed.

Gimmicks like seeing Schneider and Rosenbaum are awesome. But they don't make for brilliant television or a good finale. And the clip show. What the hell?! One of the most draggy and almost pointless scenes that had no crescendo whatsoever. What, was the editor out, sick? They truly butchered flight. And it almost looked like it was Jor-El's fault that he couldn't fly. I thought he couldn't fly cause he was a big ol' wuss. Good way to stat throwing stuff all over the place.

if you truly are a superman fan then you realize that the zod fight, the doomsday fight, and the darkseid fight were all prequels to the real fights later in superman's life so they really couldn't have him fight them for real... just something to think about