Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Official Smallville Cancellation Thread;

MajLorne

[21]May 16, 2011
    • level: 21
    It was a finale, at least put some effort into it. It shouldn't have been so half-assed. For a finale, it should get more money to do it justice. BSG [whether or not people liked the ending or not] had a whole half season that was mostly dialogue which allowed for the finale to be grand and guns blazing. I would've sacrificed half a season for the finale to be epic. Instead this finale was very underwhelming and that's a shame for a send off after 10 seasons. Could've should've, didn't.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bitomic1

[22]May 17, 2011
    • level: 4

Seriously guys what's with all the hype. The finale was consistent and loyal to the entire series. They didn't want to make a blockbuster movie out of it, just wrap up all the loose ends and set up the events so Superman emerges and begins as a character and legend.

And yes, all the big boss fights were intros, trailers and teasers of the real struggles Superman will have throughout his life. They've covered most of the DC world in a way that didn't seem overwhelming and forced and for that I take my hat off.

The whole series was a new and fresh take on the Superman mythos, and for all your snapping it is tremendously difficult to incorporate all the richness of technology and magic and character history of the entire DC universe in a simple and grounded show. Not to mention juggling the weight of 80 years of comic history with fan wishes, film making limits and capitalistic interests. Smallville is one of the very few show where character and storyline progression was not only evident but also imperative. So the writers could have done some things better, fine. But they could have done it a whole lot worse too, could have made a mockery of The Man of Steel and they didn't. And for that they have my deepest gratitude as a true fan of Superman. It was great of Schneider and O'Toole and Rosenbaum to come back for a few shots and give smallville the sendoff it deserves. The scene with Clark with Martha and Jonathan as they send him to his destiny are priceless, and more importantly, the whole point of the series - the emergence of the worlds greatest legend and protector.

I am immensely appreciative that Superman got a respectable live action series that we can be proud of, and so long running one at that. I am glad that I have been on this ride and would like to send my thanks to all the actors and crew that have made this possible, for they truly have something to be proud of. If a spin-off comes out of this I would be thankful, but even if it doesn't I will not complain.

This is my farewell to Smallville and all it's cast, crew and loyal fans. Thank you for an epic journey and I hope to see you again.

kanniballl

[23]May 17, 2011
    • level: 18

bitomic1 wrote:

Seriously guys what's with all the hype. The finale was consistent and loyal to the entire series. They didn't want to make a blockbuster movie out of it, just wrap up all the loose ends and set up the events so Superman emerges and begins as a character and legend.

And yes, all the big boss fights were intros, trailers and teasers of the real struggles Superman will have throughout his life. They've covered most of the DC world in a way that didn't seem overwhelming and forced and for that I take my hat off.

The whole series was a new and fresh take on the Superman mythos, and for all your snapping it is tremendously difficult to incorporate all the richness of technology and magic and character history of the entire DC universe in a simple and grounded show

I didn't hate the finale, I liked most parts.

- The end result of Tess's character progression and her sad conclusion.
    - Johnathan's touching scenes, I thought they were powerful and much better than Martha's
    - Lex's speech in the mansion
    - Clark becoming Superman at the end and having the shirt-rip moment.
    - Even Chloe apparently had a happy future with Ollie, when years back I thought she would end up in an asylum and my thoughts were reinforced when she picked up Fate's helmet.
    - I'm in the minority and liked how they handled the flashbacks.

In the end, the parts I liked out-weighed the parts I didn't like.

I wasn't a fan of:

- The resolution at the end: after a whole season it was just too quick and hardly any film. Just an extra 120 seconds of Clark doing something to inspire the people to break Darkseid's hold on them. Perhaps a more detailed scene showing the planet move away. An Omega beam. etc. Nothing EPIC but something more than 30 seconds of screen-time.

The show was leading up to Clark becoming Superman and making his big public debut. I wanted more awe and "wtf" moments in the public than a single group in Metropolis.

- Last minute see-saw on the whole wedding thing by both Lois AND Clark, it took up too much time and was relatively pointless in the end. That time could've been used for the above. Postponing the wedding for a couple of years was alright, but did we need the cold feet?

- Surprisingly little in terms of glam-shots of Tom/Clark in "the suit" It's like they were purposely avoiding shooting him in one big picture in the suit, just fleeting glimpses. Leaving the fortress, we saw nothing really. The airplane scene, just a profile really. Flying over the city, fleeting. at the end, just the emblem (which was fine but still).

- I personally think it was Ollie's inner-strength that powered the bow, similar to something hinted during the translations in the tomb. But a quick one-line explanation would've been nice if only for the people scratching their heads in a "WTF" moment.

Edited on 05/17/2011 7:17am
    Edited 3 total times.

G3ckOz

[24]May 17, 2011
    • level: 13

Shouldn't this thread get a delete? it Ended not Canceled, wtf? At least replace Cancellation with Ending or something.

Enthropii

[25]May 17, 2011
    • level: 23
    alirk wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    we knew Lois and him were gonna get married

Actually, they didn't get married Wink

They will in that epilogue. And we knew that already. The least they could have done was make the not-marriage scene more impactful. Like at least incorporate flight there or something. Instead of with that clip show which qualified as the single most unepic editing of pretty awesome footage.

Enthropii

[26]May 17, 2011
    shadowclone7290 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    shadowclone7290 wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    I'm glad this is over. Smallville seems to be a collection of the anti-talent. If all it took to defeat Darkseid was to fly through him, a Boeing could have done it.

They couldn't have him fight Darkseid in his true form cuz when that happened in Justice League: Unlimited he destroyed 3/4 of metropolis and still barely inked out a win. No offense to you but I can't imagine any true Smallville walking away from the finale unhappy, yes you may have had some problems with it but it was the great tribute to this show and ended the way we always knew it would. I personally loved it yes i would have liked to have the Darkseid fight resemble more of Clark and Zods fight from the season 6 premiere but it was still epic

As a true Superman fan, Smallville was a fresh new take. Something that I enjoyed for 3.5 seasons and tolerated for the rest. But this was just straight up bad writing on television. It's not like there was anything surprising here. Other than the novelty of seeing old actors this episode was barely final quality. The Homecoming episode was a million times more epic than this. We knew he was gonna wear the costume, we knew Lois and him were gonna get married and we knew he was gonna fly. The only thing this episode was supposed to accomplish was making the 'how' seem awesome. And they failed.

Gimmicks like seeing Schneider and Rosenbaum are awesome. But they don't make for brilliant television or a good finale. And the clip show. What the hell?! One of the most draggy and almost pointless scenes that had no crescendo whatsoever. What, was the editor out, sick? They truly butchered flight. And it almost looked like it was Jor-El's fault that he couldn't fly. I thought he couldn't fly cause he was a big ol' wuss. Good way to stat throwing stuff all over the place.

And yes, fighting Darkseid would have trashed the place. So DON'T INTRODUCE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL VILLAINS IN HIS LINE UP! They screwed up Zod the first time, they screwed up Doomsday and they almost screwed up Zod the second time. Idiots can see the pattern: Don't use super powerful villains! Especially if they're demi-gods!

if you truly are a superman fan then you realize that the zod fight, the doomsday fight, and the darkseid fight were all prequels to the real fights later in superman's life so they really couldn't have him fight them for real... just something to think about

As a true Superman fan I can point out that none of these people were encountered by Superman till much later. And that Doomsday wasn't a sad replicate of the Hulk. Smallville took advantage of these characters to tempt actual fans and used the convenient excuse of "no, we need these guys for later (you know that show that we aren't doing)" to give us really pathetic fight scenes. And the sad thing? It isn't really that expensive.
    The S9 finale fight between Zod and Clark was actually decent. They recognised their shortcomings--budget--and they utilised what was available and went for it. And it was good.
    I'm not saying ambition is a bad thing, but a writer's--and showrunners'--job is to make a believable and high quality story with what budget is available. I never faulted Smallville for lousy effects. But if they go around bringing in ridiculously overpowered characters from the Superman mythos, then they have to be able to pull it off to a certain extent. Not zoom in, tackle, jump, explode building.

MajLorne

[27]May 17, 2011
    • level: 21

Thank you, exactly. Heaven forbid, some of us are critical of some things and not roll over and give the show blind praise.

Edited on 05/17/2011 8:46pm

alirk

[28]May 18, 2011
    • level: 22

Enthropii wrote:
    And the sad thing? It isn't really that expensive.

And how exactly do you know how expensive/non expensive it is??

Enthropii

[29]May 18, 2011
    alirk wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    And the sad thing? It isn't really that expensive.

And how exactly do you know how expensive/non expensive it is??

I've worked on set and in animation studios for 8 years now. I'm no animator, but I've sat in as a set manager for a couple of productions and I can honestly say that they aren't very difficult or expensive to pull off. And with the recent advancement in tech--and the systems that most CW programs are edited on--it just takes a little more effort to make something look good.

As I said, I don't blame the quality of the effects. Those depend on man-hours which depend on budget. But in most cases, TV studios utilise network hired FX houses. So all you need is a director and/or showrunner to have an actually inspiring vision and not half-assed "let's do something big... meh, let's just wrap this season up" attitudes.

RaizenYusuke

[30]May 18, 2011
    • level: 28
    The problem was using too many effects for the first place for Smallville. Somewhere down the line writers got this when superbeings fight it has to cause this huge destruction. We get punches that knock characters down ten feet. Regular punches would have gone a long way. That's all the cartoons do. Superman: AS he would punch Metallo or Darkside and they weren't these huge battles. Most of the time they fought like regular people and some damage was done. I felt like a lot of fights in Smallville would have been more enjoyable if they didn't do special effects for them. The best fight in this series was Clark and Titan. That was because they actually punched each other. It wasn't huge effect pushes or building shattering events.

Enthropii

[31]May 18, 2011
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    The problem was using too many effects for the first place for Smallville. Somewhere down the line writers got this when superbeings fight it has to cause this huge destruction. We get punches that knock characters down ten feet. Regular punches would have gone a long way. That's all the cartoons do. Superman: AS he would punch Metallo or Darkside and they weren't these huge battles. Most of the time they fought like regular people and some damage was done. I felt like a lot of fights in Smallville would have been more enjoyable if they didn't do special effects for them. The best fight in this series was Clark and Titan. That was because they actually punched each other. It wasn't huge effect pushes or building shattering events.

Ah yeah. That was a good fight.

MuhammadShah

[32]May 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    Clark vs. Titan was the longest fight...

MelvinAsraf

[33]May 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Preach... Same as doomsday.. Sorry smallville it was a bad end.. I mean 20 episodes of Darkseid and disciples

and then he flies trough him en Arrow makes a triple.. Whats that all about.. Cut the drama more action....

Wating for the replacement i hear rumors about a spiderman show??

Enthropii

[34]May 20, 2011
    MelvinAsraf wrote:

Preach... Same as doomsday.. Sorry smallville it was a bad end.. I mean 20 episodes of Darkseid and disciples

and then he flies trough him en Arrow makes a triple.. Whats that all about.. Cut the drama more action....

There's gonna be a Spider-Man cartoon. But Spider-Man will never be done on CW. For the same reasons why Wonder Woman could never have been on ABC.

CW is affiliated to WB which owns DC Comics. As such, putting up a Spidey show would be akin to fraternising with the enemy.

And in a similar way, Disney owns both, Marvel and ABC, which was why the rejection to WW by ABC was obvious.

RaizenYusuke

[35]May 20, 2011
    • level: 28
    Is that why the CW stopped airing the Spectacular Spider-Man after it aired the first season?

Enthropii

[36]May 21, 2011

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Is that why the CW stopped airing the Spectacular Spider-Man after it aired the first season?
    Probably.

Edited on 05/21/2011 7:37am

alirk

[37]May 23, 2011
    • level: 22

Enthropii wrote:
    MelvinAsraf wrote:

There's gonna be a Spider-Man cartoon. But Spider-Man will never be done on CW. For the same reasons why Wonder Woman could never have been on ABC. CW is affiliated to WB which owns DC Comics. As such, putting up a Spidey show would be akin to fraternising with the enemy. And in a similar way, Disney owns both, Marvel and ABC, which was why the rejection to WW by ABC was obvious.

Wouldn't it be great if everything wasn't so political?? If networks aired shows just because they were good??

Enthropii

[38]May 23, 2011
    alirk wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    MelvinAsraf wrote:

There's gonna be a Spider-Man cartoon. But Spider-Man will never be done on CW. For the same reasons why Wonder Woman could never have been on ABC. CW is affiliated to WB which owns DC Comics. As such, putting up a Spidey show would be akin to fraternising with the enemy. And in a similar way, Disney owns both, Marvel and ABC, which was why the rejection to WW by ABC was obvious.

Wouldn't it be great if everything wasn't so political?? If networks aired shows just because they were good??

In which case Angel would have gotten its intended 7 seasons and Firefly would still be going on.

Haloprogram

[39]Jun 7, 2011
    [QUOTE="alirk"]

Enthropii wrote:
    we knew Lois and him were gonna get married QUOTE]

Actually, they didn't get married Wink

Actually they did they just never put on the rings ...

Haloprogram

[40]Jun 7, 2011
    Enthropii wrote:
    alirk wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    MelvinAsraf wrote:

In which case Angel would have gotten its intended 7 seasons and Firefly would still be going on.

I got the comic for Angel in any way but omfg that would've been awesome