Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

Welling4Supes

[1]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 2

On October 16th, 2001, Tom Welling became this generation's man of steel. Since that day, the epic superman television show "Smallville" has continued to be a new cornerstone for the Superman legend. Fans around the world already acknowledge the incredible talent and dedication that Tom Welling has given to the show and its fans for the last eight years, and now its time to reach that next step. The WB has announced that they will reboot their Superman franchise and now is the time to act and promote a dream that started back in 2001. It is time to see Tom Welling take on the final pieces of this iconic role and don the cape and tights of earth's mightiest hero, Superman!

This is a petition for all Smallville and Superman fans alike to show their support for actor Tom Welling. Its purpose is to let the WB know that we want Tom Welling to be Superman in the new Superman movie! Sign the petition:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/tomwelling4supes

To show your support, please print out one of the following Superman/ Tom Welling manips from: (http://www.myspace.com/tomwelling4superman) and mail it in with a letter (maybe even fax it in if you want ) to the WB to show your support for Tom Welling as this generation's Superman!

Alan Horn, President / COO,
    Warner Bros Entertainment,
    4000 Warner Blvd.,
    Burbank, CA 91522
    alan.horn@warnerbros.com

Jeff Robinov, President,
    Warner Bros Pictures Group,
    4000 Warner Blvd.,
    Burbank, CA 91522
    jeff.robinov@warnerbros.com

Legendary Pictures
    Thomas Tull, Chairman / CEO
    4000 Warner Blvd, Bldg 76
    Burbank, CA 91522
    (310) 289-6677 fax

And

DC Comics
    Gregory Noveck, SVP Creative Affairs
    1700 Broadway, 7th Floor
    New York, NY 10019-5905
    (212) 636-5481 fax
    You can also email him at: gregory.noveck@dccomics.com

In addition, please mail them to Tom's publicist as well. Make sure Tom knows that his fans want him to be the next Superman and that we support him!

PMK/HBH
    Simon Halls, Publicist
    700 San Vicente Blvd., Ste G910
    West Hollywood, CA 90069
    (310) 289-6677 fax

Edited on 08/31/2008 6:29am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jedi66

[2]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 11

Truthfully, I think Tom Welling would make a more impressive Superman than Brandon Routh. The writers screwed up in "Superman Returns" by trying to find a clone of Christopher Reeve, both in looks, and portrayal of the character. Christopher Reeve had his own style, and it was pretty tongue in cheek, but worked for him.

Kal-El's secret identity as Clark Kent shouldn't require him to act as a bumbling fool when not dressed as the Man of Steel, and I actually found it kind of inappropriate in a more serious adaptation of the Superman movies, which I felt "Superman Returns" definitely was.

Also, Tom Welling looks older than Brandon Routh in my opinion. I don't know the actual actors' ages (well Tom Welling is 30 or 31, but I don't know about Brandon Routh).

SupermanNYC

[3]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 45
    jedi66 wrote:

Truthfully, I think Tom Welling would make a more impressive Superman than Brandon Routh. The writers screwed up in "Superman Returns" by trying to find a clone of Christopher Reeve, both in looks, and portrayal of the character. Christopher Reeve had his own style, and it was pretty tongue in cheek, but worked for him.

Kal-El's secret identity as Clark Kent shouldn't require him to act as a bumbling fool when not dressed as the Man of Steel, and I actually found it kind of inappropriate in a more serious adaptation of the Superman movies, which I felt "Superman Returns" definitely was.

Also, Tom Welling looks older than Brandon Routh in my opinion. I don't know the actual actors' ages (well Tom Welling is 30 or 31, but I don't know about Brandon Routh).

Some of this I can agree with, and some I just can't. I will make another post on this one tomorrow. I had typed a respond to this and my computer froze up on me. So I never got a chance to send it. I think you would have loved it too

Enthropii

[4]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 23
    I like Tom, and if the nxt Superman movie portrays Superman closer to S4's Kal-El, then I say TW it is.

However, I wouldnt want them to set the movie in the same timeline as Smallville and neither should people confuse it to be with Smallville.

In that regard, if the next movie has no ties with Chris Reeves' saga, then it shudn't be Brandon either. So I say, bring on a completely new one.

drgerass

[5]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 6

I love Tom Welling and would definitely like to see him as the new Superman.

I have signed the petition and hope all Welling fans will too, as we need to show the WB we don't want a second rate actor playing the part again.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/tomwelling4supes

Please sign the petition and show your support and share the link with friends, family and other fans in forums and sites!!!!

Genetic_Code

[6]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 14
    jedi66 wrote:

Brandon Routh is 28. Tom Welling is 31.

azad_champ

[7]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 7
    No. We don't want to typecast that poor fella into this role. Let him become Supe in Smallville and let it be over with.

historylover20

[8]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 28

Although I would love to see him as Superman, and I think he's typecast anyways, has anyone considered that Tom himself probably doesn't want to be cast as Superman? Since that's the case, it doesn't matter how many petitions we sign, it's never going to happen.

Kat

Welling4Supes

[9]Aug 31, 2008
    I think he's already typecast.

Welling4Supes

[10]Aug 31, 2008
    historylover20 wrote:

Although I would love to see him as Superman, and I think he's typecast anyways, has anyone considered that Tom himself probably doesn't want to be cast as Superman? Since that's the case, it doesn't matter how many petitions we sign, it's never going to happen.

Kat

Peoeple change their minds all the time, in fact, show a recent article where he says he won't do it. Over time if the WB still wants him he'll have a shot, the rest would be up to him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Welling also meet with the director who was gong to do the 2006 Superman film (who later left and Singer took over).

historylover20

[12]Aug 31, 2008

We'll see, won't we.

I do know on-line petitions never work. There are very few checks. Most big shots--studio heads and the like--tend to ignore on-line petitions.

I still think that Tom Welling isn't all that interested. After all, he's played Clark Kent for 8 years now. Although he's (unfortunately) typecast, I can see him not wanting to be Superman. He's been trying to move on, taking different roles in movies, expand himself as an actor.

How is playing Superman expanding himself as an actor? Brandon Routh was a soap opera actor before taking the role of Superman. Not a lot of people knew who he was before SR. Tom Welling, on the other hand, has gotten known from playing the alter ego.

But, you may be right. Tom Welling may have changed his mind and is willing to do it. But, looking at IMDb (which, I know, isn't the end-all and be-all of movie triva, but it's pretty good), I didn't see Tom Welling mentioned at all as meeting for the role. I did see Jared Padalecki being under consideration.

If you can link me to an article where it says that Tom Welling definitely met with the original director of SR, I am more than willing to admit that I'm mistaken.

But, it's pretty common knowledge that Tom Welling doesn't want to be typecast as Superman. Now, I know that minds change all the time. But, it is pretty common knowledge.

If he has changed his mind, then he needs to fly or suit up in Smallville. If that happens before the series finale, I will be more than willing to say that I'm wrong.

One last thing before I shut up--yes, I think Tom Welling is typecast. Unfortunately. Every actor who plays Clark Kent and/or Superman gets typecast. However, if Tom Welling is able to leave the show (when it ends) and is able to break out of being typecast, I'm all for that. I'd love to see him do other things besides Clark Kent/Superman.

Now, if he'll avoid making movies like Cheaper by the Dozen and The Fog again, that would be even better!

Kat

Edited on 08/31/2008 8:50am
    Edited 3 total times.

jedi66

[13]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 11
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Kat

Peoeple change their minds all the time, in fact, show a recent article where he says he won't do it. Over time if the WB still wants him he'll have a shot, the rest would be up to him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Welling also meet with the director who was gong to do the 2006 Superman film (who later left and Singer took over).

And let's not forget the money Tom Welling would make for starring in a Superman feature film. As Vince McMahon from the WWE says: "Show me the MONEY!!!"

Enthropii

[14]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 23
    jedi66 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Kat

And let's not forget the money Tom Welling would make for starring in a Superman feature film. As Vince McMahon from the WWE says: "Show me the MONEY!!!"

Wasn't that Jerry McGuire?

historylover20

[15]Aug 31, 2008
    jedi66 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Kat

OK, that I will admit. Money talks very loudly. Usually.

Kat

aj_the_kidd

[16]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 13
    Don't get me wrong i do think tom could play supes, but if that were to happen them smallville fans would like to see a superman based on smallvilles clark kent, which is just plain wrong. I like smallville as a whole, but i can barely stand the way smallvilles clark kent acts sometimes.

jrsgalaxy

[17]Sep 1, 2008

Seems like Kristin left because she no longer liked where her character was going or didnt understand it. At least she knew when to quit and thus please the fans. Why do something you dont like anymore. Even though it came about 2 or 3 seasons too late.

Alot of people dont always like the way Welling portrays Clark which is like a wimp at times especially when it comes to Lana. But does Welling actually bring this to the writers attention ? Does he like how his character is always portrayed? It seems great actors who have played popular characters have always had a good understanding of their character and come to protect them. So if they see a dialogue they feel their character woudlnt say or do they try reeal hard to change it.. Ive never seen anybody ever talk about whether Tom does any of that for his character.

Like I said before alot of people have problems with The portrayal of Clark. so if Welling really cares about his fans or character why doesnt Clarks character ever change (well with the exception of the 8th season.....but too little too late )That s what I think of that. This is why I dont think he would play Supes.Doesnt seem like hes interested to do it other than if he were offered a exorbinant amount of money. Hes probably just tired of playing the same character . HE s thirty .Maybe he wants to do a whole lot of other projects or just try new roles before he stops being bankable.

aj_the_kidd

[18]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    I remember someone posted (a long time ago) that tom throw a hissy fit because he didn't want clark to fly or something of that nature, i could be wrong, probably am, regardless i don't tom wants anything else to do with superman after smallville. Don't worry girls im sure his wife will comfort him until he finds another role.

jrsgalaxy

[19]Sep 1, 2008
    Then it seems he sides with the writers. And since this is a rewrite and not a retelling they can write they please. And they seem to write a lot of things that displease fans. And I guess Welling doesnt have a problem with it either. And we fans get the short end of the stick.

azad_champ

[20]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 7
    Is Tom going to star in another hollywood movie like the Fog? Like all actors, he wants diversity($$$). And like someone mentioned, it doesn't matter what the fans want, Welling won't probably do it.