Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

historylover20

[21]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 28

I don't remember seeing any upcoming projects Tom is doing when I looked his IMDb page up yesterday. But, I really wasn't looking. Or at least nothing connected.

Lack of time could be a factor as well.

I remember that "hissy fit" post. I don't remember who posted that.

But, I'm pretty sure Tom wants diversity. Playing Superman wouldn't be a different character (and I know I'm one who complains about Clark Kent needing to step up and become more like Superman.)

Kat

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drgerass

[22]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 6

Actually there have been loads of instances where rumours were flying like crazy that TW threaten to quit the show because of the writing for the character of CK. I don't know wbout the hissy fit when it comes to flying but I have read multiple reports from crew members that TW did not get along with Gough & Milar because of that.

Tom Welling for Superman

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/tomwelling4supes

Edited on 09/01/2008 8:19am

chloeclover

[23]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 2

I agree, I think Tom is a perfect Superman. Hes got it all and I think hed be great. Speaking of different opinions, I have this application I found where you can make your own Smallville trailer. If your not Toms biggest fan than you dont have to include him, there are a bunch of scenes to choose from this seasons show and you can pull them into a time line and watch your own tribute trailer. Heres the site.

http://smallvilletrailermaker.warnerbros.com/

And wanta know what the best part is about this site? You are immediately entered into a contest to win a Nokia phone, a TV, lots of different Smallville gadgets, etc. SHare it with your friends, family and other fans. Share your trailer with the rest of us by posting it here!

CHROME2279

[24]Sep 4, 2008

Okay Tom WILL be Superman in my opinion. I mean lets face it, had Superman Returns featured Tom Welling it may have made more money since we the fans have been wanting him to be superman for years now.. (EVEN NOW!! He still isn't Superman lol)

Stop teasing us already!! Also lets look at this logically, Superman is being rumored to be a 3 picture deal AND tie ins to future Justice League Movies. That is at least 4-5 gauranteed paydays for Tom, and with this being the last and final season of Smallville I think he will take the money and do it.

There was also a rumor that the WB did not want to star Tom Welling as Superman in the movie because that would mean they would have to include Michael Rausenbaum (spell check**) as Lex, and apparently the studio had there eyes dead set on Kevin Spacey for YEARS.. (He was also casted to be Lex in the 1998 Superman Movie that was being pitched around that got shelfed (The Nic Cage Superman movie) Apparently there was some clause or some red tape garbage that prevented Tom from taking the role. (Now that Mike is no longer on contract though......hmmm)

Here is my take on it, If he DID NOT want the part, then why interview for it? Why take meetings? time and time again he is talks for Superman movies heck even Bryan Singer met with him, and Christopher Reeves vouched for him to play Superman in the 1998-2000 movie after Nic Cage dropped from it.
    Proof
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_Lives#Superman_Lives

I say sign that petition there is no one better or more ready to take up the mantle than Tom Welling period. He is just doing what he can to get the best deal for him and his family. I can't say I blame him.
    But looking at this site he has nothing planned after Smallville.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919991/

If WB was smart they would use Smallville to help canapolt the movie if it does star Tom Welling.

Edited on 09/04/2008 9:47pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Enthropii

[25]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 23
    Key word: Rumour

olderSVfan

[26]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    I'm probably gonna get stoned for this...but I don't think TW has enough talent yet to pull off a "Superman"movie...don't get me wrong...I think Tom has done a good job on Smallville...but to put the weight of a movie on his shoulders...IDK...I just don't think he's ready yet! *ducks and runs*!!!!!
    Edited on 09/05/2008 7:25am

RHam_01

[27]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    olderSVfan wrote:
    I'm probably gonna get stoned for this...but I don't think TW has enough talent yet to pull off a "Superman"movie...don't get me wrong...I think Tom has done a good job on Smallville...but to put the weight of a movie on his shoulders...IDK...I just don't think he's ready yet! *ducks and runs*!!!!!

I gotta say I agree with you. He's great on the show but I don't want to see him in a Superman movie. And I know that most people won't agree with me but I really liked Routh as Superman.

Enthropii

[28]Sep 5, 2008
    RHam_01 wrote:
    olderSVfan wrote:

I gotta say I agree with you. He's great on the show but I don't want to see him in a Superman movie. And I know that most people won't agree with me but I really liked Routh as Superman.

Agreed. I liked Routh. Just felt tt it could have been alot better in story.

RHam_01

[29]Sep 5, 2008

Enthropii wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:
    olderSVfan wrote:

Oh yes. No one is denying that the story was terrible.

I have always thought that Chris Reeves was the best possible Superman ever. Heck he WAS Superman. Routh reminded me greatly of him and so in my eyes he was a good replacement.

Edited on 09/05/2008 8:00am

Enthropii

[30]Sep 5, 2008
    RHam_01 wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:
    olderSVfan wrote:

I have always thought that Chris Reeves was the best possible Superman ever. Heck he WAS Superman. Routh reminded me greatly of him and so in my eyes he was a good replacement.

Same here.

historylover20

[31]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 28
    Enthropii wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:

Enthropii wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:
    olderSVfan wrote:

Same here.

Not gonna get stoned by us, SV. I agree with you. And, you know what? Tom Welling turned the role of Clark Kent down twice, because he didn't think he was good enough of an actor.

I agree with all of you.

No one is ever going to beat Christopher Reeves, in my opinion (I know that he's in Heaven, walking around!). He was a really good actor in the 70s and 80s Superman movies. And he was our real-life Superman (so, I'm probably very biased about that.)

Plus, as I said in the spoiler thread, until I see an official cast list that has Tom Welling listed as Clark Kent/Superman in a movie, I'm going to say that Tom Welling doesn't want to get typecast and is not interested in playing Superman in a movie. If I see an official list that has him listed in a movie as Clark Kent/Superman, I am more than willing to eat crow and say I was wrong.

Kat

olderSVfan

[32]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    Nice to know I am not alone in my thinking! As far as Brandon goes...I agree...he was good in Superman Returns...the storyline was not!!! But I still liked the movie just because it was...well...Superman!!! I would much rather see him be given another chance as Superman than to see Tom Welling get the role.

Daxx00004

[33]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 9

olderSVfan wrote:
    Nice to know I am not alone in my thinking! As far as Brandon goes...I agree...he was good in Superman Returns...the storyline was not!!! But I still liked the movie just because it was...well...Superman!!! I would much rather see him be given another chance as Superman than to see Tom Welling get the role.

I agree with all of this. I did like the movie but have issues with certain things. The biggest was Lois, didn't like her at all, not to mention she is way to young for the role.

aj_the_kidd

[34]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    I'd say give Roth another chance, Superman Returns turned out to be more of chick flick then a live action movie. If he sucks in the next film then give him the boot.

I stand by one of my previous statements, if they do for some freakish reason, pick Tom as the next superman then don't base the movie around smallvilles clark kent. That would just be a slap in the face and a kick in the groin, to us fanboys.

CHROME2279

[35]Sep 5, 2008

Routh looked like a stick figure in a suite..

Welling all the way!! he has played this role for 8 years and heck even SUPERMAN himself Chris Reeves wanted him to play the part and felt he was ready. Read the link above.. I for one trust in Chris over Bryan Singer.. he was my Superman as a kid, and I would love to see what Tom would do with the role if given. And I do not think for one moment that any of us here would get overly upset if they gave Tom the role over Brandon. Heck Brandon was turned down for the role of Clark in favor of Tom Welling for this very show. I will have a wait and see approach as this all unfolds.

Edited on 09/05/2008 10:43pm

OdumCarlock

[36]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    historylover20 wrote:

I don't remember seeing any upcoming projects Tom is doing when I looked his IMDb page up yesterday. But, I really wasn't looking. Or at least nothing connected.

Lack of time could be a factor as well.

I remember that "hissy fit" post. I don't remember who posted that.

But, I'm pretty sure Tom wants diversity. Playing Superman wouldn't be a different character (and I know I'm one who complains about Clark Kent needing to step up and become more like Superman.)

Kat

I made the post about his Hissy Fit

RHam_01

[37]Sep 6, 2008
    CHROME2279 wrote:

Welling all the way!! he has played this role for 8 years and heck even SUPERMAN himself Chris Reeves wanted him to play the part and felt he was ready. Read the link above.. I for one trust in Chris over Bryan Singer.. he was my Superman as a kid, and I would love to see what Tom would do with the role if given. And I do not think for one moment that any of us here would get overly upset if they gave Tom the role over Brandon. Heck Brandon was turned down for the role of Clark in favor of Tom Welling for this very show. I will have a wait and see approach as this all unfolds.

A stick figure? Were we watching the same movie? Maybe he wasn't as big as Tom but he wasn't a stick figure from any angle. Thing is that Tom makes a great teenage Clark Kent but he might not be a great Superman. Routh pulled off the Superman persona very well and did a good job with the Clark Kent role too.

CHROME2279

[38]Sep 6, 2008
    RHam_01 wrote:
    CHROME2279 wrote:

A stick figure? Were we watching the same movie? Maybe he wasn't as big as Tom but he wasn't a stick figure from any angle. Thing is that Tom makes a great teenage Clark Kent but he might not be a great Superman. Routh pulled off the Superman persona very well and did a good job with the Clark Kent role too.
    Were you looking at the same movie? Brandon was smaller than chris reeves and needed padding in his suit? Tom Welling would make a much better superman and I think there is a *reason* he is looking so much bigger now *look at season 8 pics* I will have a wait and see approach but if you have read my previous posts in the past I am not without merit on these issues. laters
    Edited on 09/06/2008 1:09am

RHam_01

[39]Sep 6, 2008
    CHROME2279 wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:
    CHROME2279 wrote:

Were you looking at the same movie? Brandon was smaller than chris reeves and needed padding in his suit? Tom Welling would make a much better superman and I think there is a *reason* he is looking so much bigger now *look at season 8 pics* I will have a wait and see approach but if you have read my previous posts in the past I am not without merit on these issues. laters

At 6'4" Chris Reeves was the tallest Superman. Routh and Welling are about the same height. Yes, Welling is a lot more muscular, but that doesn't make Routh a stick. A stick is someone like Jimmy.

CHROME2279

[40]Sep 6, 2008
    RHam_01 wrote:
    CHROME2279 wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:
    CHROME2279 wrote:

At 6'4" Chris Reeves was the tallest Superman. Routh and Welling are about the same height. Yes, Welling is a lot more muscular, but that doesn't make Routh a stick. A stick is someone like Jimmy.

LOL come on one of the first promo shots of the superman Returns had him holding up the daily planet globe and he was stick like.. no way to agrue that Brandon is teh skinnest Superman ever!!

Chris Reeves, Tom Welling, Erik Akin, George Reeves, Dean Cain, John haymes Newton, Gerard Christopher, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superboy_(TV_series)

Who all played Clark Kent were ALL more muscular than Brandon so to say he isn't stick like in comparision is wrong IMO LOL

Brandon is by far the MOST Skinny Superman of all time in any media by simply looking at the people who played him before.

Edited on 09/06/2008 1:45am