Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

alwayshurdle

[201]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 9
    Definitely, wouldn't have it any other way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sandylynn4578

[202]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 1

I doubt that I would watch it if Tom Welling was not going to play the part of Superman anymore.

rawin123

[203]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 6

I think we need someone new, a fresh start to reboot the whole superman franchise. Tom Welling = Smallville. Superman = Something else entirely

Enthropii

[204]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 23
    rawin123 wrote:

I think we need someone new, a fresh start to reboot the whole superman franchise. Tom Welling = Smallville. Superman = Something else entirely

Word.

chadjlock

[205]Apr 23, 2009

I haven't thrown in my two cents on this topic, so here goes:

I like Tom Welling alot, and where it seems most didn't like him in the 'Cheaper....' movies, I do. For an actor that supposedly had no formal training and to just come from Modeling, I think he is decent.

He is also one of my favorite Clark actors (believe it or not, I liked Dean Cain's Clark alot- not Superman, just Clark). But as Superman I do not think he would do well in the tights on a regular basis. He has the size and physical features, but the charisma I think is lacking. Maybe because that is where they( the writers) have him at in SV that makes me feel this way. It's hard to find an actor who pulls of Clark AND Superman.

My opinion is they should reboot the entire Superman movies with a whole new set of people who are relatively unknown (like Batman or even the new Star Trek)

Enigler

[206]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 8
    chadjlock wrote:

I like Tom Welling alot, and where it seems most didn't like him in the 'Cheaper....' movies, I do. For an actor that supposedly had no formal training and to just come from Modeling, I think he is decent.

He is also one of my favorite Clark actors (believe it or not, I liked Dean Cain's Clark alot- not Superman, just Clark). But as Superman I do not think he would do well in the tights on a regular basis. He has the size and physical features, but the charisma I think is lacking. Maybe because that is where they( the writers) have him at in SV that makes me feel this way. It's hard to find an actor who pulls of Clark AND Superman.

My opinion is they should reboot the entire Superman movies with a whole new set of people who are relatively unknown (like Batman or even the new Star Trek)

Great point Chadjlock. I agree that it would take a relatively unknown person to pull off a new revamp. A person that has the skills and ability to pull off the duel identity thing, yet is an actor that not too many people are familar with. Ya know there is an interesting article out there about the new Star Trek movie and how they once considered Matt Damon as Kirk. I cannot recall the specifics, but I believe that it was a mutual agreement that the role should go to an unknown for the mere fact that it would be better for the project. So, this might be the best for this situation. But, who knows. I mean Downey is certainly not an unknown, but he was Tony Stark. Therefore, another route would be to find someone who can just pull off the role and NOT emulate what has already been done by any previous actor.

Hunterofsighs

[207]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 7
    It would be really interesting... ( but... Smallville is going little bit another way from Superman Movies especially the latest.... )

chadjlock

[208]Apr 23, 2009
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:

Great point Chadjlock. I agree that it would take a relatively unknown person to pull off a new revamp. A person that has the skills and ability to pull off the duel identity thing, yet is an actor that not too many people are familar with. Ya know there is an interesting article out there about the new Star Trek movie and how they once considered Matt Damon as Kirk. I cannot recall the specifics, but I believe that it was a mutual agreement that the role should go to an unknown for the mere fact that it would be better for the project. So, this might be the best for this situation. But, who knows. I mean Downey is certainly not an unknown, but he was Tony Stark. Therefore, another route would be to find someone who can just pull off the role and NOT emulate what has already been done by any previous actor.

I agree with you E- they could find someone else new to the role of a superhero. I'd forgot about how well Downey did with IM (BTW I am not a huge Downey fan at all). I am so glad they didn't chose Damon for the role in ST. I hear it is getting great reviews.

I might have missed it in your original posts on this thread- but do you have any suggestions for someone to pull a 'Downey' for a new Superman movie?

emilijat

[209]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 2
    I think that Tom Wellianceled.ng should play the role but it upsets me that because of the movie smallvile might be canceled. Still tom is a great actor and he shoud play the role in the movie.

Enigler

[210]Apr 23, 2009
    chadjlock wrote:
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:

I agree with you E- they could find someone else new to the role of a superhero. I'd forgot about how well Downey did with IM (BTW I am not a huge Downey fan at all). I am so glad they didn't chose Damon for the role in ST. I hear it is getting great reviews.

I might have missed it in your original posts on this thread- but do you have any suggestions for someone to pull a 'Downey' for a new Superman movie?

Downey was made for Iron Man. I know that a lot of people were originally like what the ____ when he was cast; but, he believed he could pull it off and he did.

Um, I don't think that I had any suggestions to date. I remember reading who they were going to cast for the JLA movie and had no clue as to the actor they picked (rumored) for Supes. The actor (J.D. Cotrona) sort of looks like some incantations of big blue; however, I think that the guy that the picked for Bats would be a better choice. Armie Hammer, who is currently playing Morgan on CWs Reaper, has a great presence, the square jaw, and a solid voice to pull of Superman. And with the character he is playing now, it would seem that he could have the capacity to be a Clark Kent. Also, it really depends on what age range we are talking about for Superman/Clark Kent. Hammer could certainly take over as a complete reboot or even step in where Routh left off. But, if we were going into a more adult Clark/Kal, that would be a tough call and I don't have any suggestions.

And also, I cannot believe that the thought of Adam Brody for Flash. No way, bad call. I did think that Megan Gale could rock as WW. But, I digress.

chicamusica12

[211]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 13

http://media.photobucket.com/image/clark%20kent%20smallville/superdaniel91014732/DELETE.jpg

Is this pic official? If not, its would be a good outfit for Clark! No red underwear! Now the cape, n were good!!

Edited on 04/23/2009 1:16pm

zetnom49

[212]Apr 23, 2009
    i would love to see him as Superman, but on the show if that would ever happen, because im not sure that i could watch him in a movie as Superman then, go back to watchin him as ONLY Clark Kent on Smallville.... now if they ended Smallvile with him like flying away as Superman then the movie came all thats all good

Enthropii

[213]Apr 23, 2009
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:

Downey was made for Iron Man. I know that a lot of people were originally like what the ____ when he was cast; but, he believed he could pull it off and he did.

Um, I don't think that I had any suggestions to date. I remember reading who they were going to cast for the JLA movie and had no clue as to the actor they picked (rumored) for Supes. The actor (J.D. Cotrona) sort of looks like some incantations of big blue; however, I think that the guy that the picked for Bats would be a better choice. Armie Hammer, who is currently playing Morgan on CWs Reaper, has a great presence, the square jaw, and a solid voice to pull of Superman. And with the character he is playing now, it would seem that he could have the capacity to be a Clark Kent. Also, it really depends on what age range we are talking about for Superman/Clark Kent. Hammer could certainly take over as a complete reboot or even step in where Routh left off. But, if we were going into a more adult Clark/Kal, that would be a tough call and I don't have any suggestions.

And also, I cannot believe that the thought of Adam Brody for Flash. No way, bad call. I did think that Megan Gale could rock as WW. But, I digress.

I was JUST thinking of Armie Hammer. The dude is freakily huge and amazing voice. But I keep imagining him as someone more manipulative. I wouldn't mind Adam Baldwin as Supes though.

And yeah, Adam Brody as the Flash is sick. Disgusting...

jeg22

[214]Apr 24, 2009
    I think he could be a decent Superman

Enigler

[215]Apr 24, 2009
    Enthropii wrote:
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:
    Enigler wrote:
    chadjlock wrote:

I was JUST thinking of Armie Hammer. The dude is freakily huge and amazing voice. But I keep imagining him as someone more manipulative. I wouldn't mind Adam Baldwin as Supes though. And yeah, Adam Brody as the Flash is sick. Disgusting...

Yeah, Armie could go that way too. Probably why he is so good at playing the son of Satan on "Reaper." But, I still could see him on the big screen as Big Blue.

Adam Baldwin had a great vocal performance as Supes in Doomsday. But, I don't know if I could see him in the tights. Maybe one of his namesakes (Baldwin of no relation...Alec, Steven) in their younger days, maybe. But, I don't know about Adam...Hm...well maybe. Wow, that was indecisive of me.

When they speculated Ryan Reynolds (now Wade Wilson in Wolverine) for the Flash in that movie, I thought that would have been golden. But, I doubt that they could pull him again for another comic role.

Enthropii

[216]Apr 24, 2009
    Actually why can't they? Ryan Reynolds was a brilliant choice for Barry Allen. He might have even worked for Wally. And if Halle Berry could be both Storm and Catwoman, I don't see why Ryan can't be 2 as well...

Enigler

[217]Apr 24, 2009

Enthropii wrote:
    Actually why can't they? Ryan Reynolds was a brilliant choice for Barry Allen. He might have even worked for Wally. And if Halle Berry could be both Storm and Catwoman, I don't see why Ryan can't be 2 as well...

That's true. I mean, Bale is both Batman and John Connor. Also, I did hear that Chris Pine and Tatum were thinking about donning some tights or something. So, it is possible to take on multiple comic/sci-fi roles. I would just have to wonder if DC and Marvel would agree to let them do the other's projects. There could be some clause in their contracts about conflict of interests and all.

JerniganComics

[218]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 1

As i'm sure Tom knows, not every job is for Superman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3XiBdGTH2g&feature=g-upl