Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

Welling4Supes

[61]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 2
    historylover20 wrote:
    SV. I agree with you. And, you know what? Tom Welling turned the role of Clark Kent down twice, because he didn't think he was good enough of an actor.

I'd like to point out that this claim is completely false.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Welling4Supes

[62]Sep 27, 2008

Enthropii wrote:
    Being smaller than the rest doesnt make him a stick. And Routh did a good job for a mediocre story. He needs more lines and more emotions other than 'Lois has moved on'. And let's face it, Chris Reeve wasn't gonna say "Tom Welling can't pull off Superman." I'm not sayin tt CR was a liar, bt really, do you think he was gonna tell the poor kid off?

The thing is, he didn't have to give an opinion, but he offered it. If he didn't like Tom he most likely would have strayed from saying anything positive or negative about him to keep the peace. The torch was passed in 2003, its time to give it to this generation's Superman, Tom Welling

Liquid-Prince

[63]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 8
    RHam_01 wrote:
    aj_the_kidd wrote:
    Liquid-Prince wrote:
    Tom is definitely my Superman, over Brandon.

You've been MIA lately.

Yeah.. we were wondering where you were.

Back now

historylover20

[64]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 28
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    SV. I agree with you. And, you know what? Tom Welling turned the role of Clark Kent down twice, because he didn't think he was good enough of an actor.

Says you.

Says Internet Movie Database (which I believe a lot more than I believe you): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919991/bio (4th paragraph down under Tom Welling's mini biography). It says he thought the role was bigger than him, and he didn't want people to think he wasn't a good enough actor.

In my opinion (which, again, I believe a lot more than I believe your opinion, because it's MY opinion), Tom Welling isn't that strong enough of an actor.

Kat

Edited on 09/28/2008 12:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ZBishop26

[65]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    historylover20 wrote:
    In my opinion (which, again, I believe a lot more than I believe your opinion, because it's MY opinion), Tom Welling isn't that strong enough of an actor.

Kat

Superman isn't that strong of a character either, so I think they fit together.

historylover20

[66]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 28
    I agree with you.

Kat

Enthropii

[67]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 23
    ZBishop26 wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Kat

He can be. It's just that no one's explored it.

Welling4Supes

[68]Sep 28, 2008
    historylover20 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Says you.

Says Internet Movie Database (which I believe a lot more than I believe you): (4th paragraph down under Tom Welling's mini biography). It says he thought the role was bigger than him, and he didn't want people to think he wasn't a good enough actor.

Kat

Wow, IMDB screwed up then. It has been said in several interviews by Tom that he turned down the role because all he was told about the show was that "its a show about Superman in highschool". He turned it down because he thought he'd have to wear tights.
    Edited on 09/28/2008 7:38pm

Enthropii

[69]Sep 28, 2008
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Says you.

Says Internet Movie Database (which I believe a lot more than I believe you): (4th paragraph down under Tom Welling's mini biography). It says he thought the role was bigger than him, and he didn't want people to think he wasn't a good enough actor.

Kat

Wow, IMDB screwed up then. It has been said in several interviews by Tom that he turned down the role because all he was told about the show was that "its a show about Superman in highschool". He turned it down because he thought he'd have to wear tights.

According to Al and Miles, the "No Flights, No Tights" rule was what the show was created around. Which means, they had the rule even before they began casting. So I don't see how it is that Tom Welling thought he would have to wear tights. Unless of course TW was stupid enough not to have understood the concept of Smallville.

Then again, Al and Miles are pretty stupid themselves.

InternalSync

[70]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    Those rules were actually set up by Tom. Initially he turned down Al/Miles 2 or 3 times because he thought he'd have to fly and wear tights, so Al/Miles came up with the moto 'No Flights No Tights' to get him onboard. He's still against the tights, but he doesnt mind flying.

Enthropii

[71]Sep 28, 2008
    InternalSync wrote:
    Those rules were actually set up by Tom. Initially he turned down Al/Miles 2 or 3 times because he thought he'd have to fly and wear tights, so Al/Miles came up with the moto 'No Flights No Tights' to get him onboard. He's still against the tights, but he doesnt mind flying.

So Al and Miles lied? That's actually possible...

azad_champ

[72]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 7
    i think it's good that Tom refuses to use the Supe suit! It would be pretty cheesy. I like where Smallville is now. No more high-school BS and no supe suit. This is how the show should've been from the get-go!

CHROME2279

[73]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 6
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Says you.

Kat

Here is one of those interviews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEWmxuscJM&feature=related

jedi66

[74]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    CHROME2279 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Says you.

Kat

Here is one of those interviews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEWmxuscJM&feature=related

I watched the interview with Tom on Regis, and it was pretty clear from what he was saying that the reason he refused to audition twice was that all the producers were willing to tell him was that it was a show about the "New Superman" (no other details), and that that was rather daunting since this was to be his first acting gig other than a couple commercials and his modelling. When the producers (or casting directors, whichever) caved and explained the show's concept to him and offered to let him read the script for the part, he went in and auditioned. You can't blame someone just starting out acting for wanting to know more about the part they want him to play than just: it's about a well-known character.

Did anybody else bother to watch the interview and actually get anything different out of it?

OdumCarlock

[75]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 12
    I watched it.. it could go either way considering he said he turned it down twice because all they would tell him was it's the new superman and he said that's scary..then they told him the premise of the show and he auditioned.. so it could also mean being the new superman was scary for typecasting reasons and when he found out it was a no tights show he was ok with it...

too much unexplained stuff in there but he never really said he was scared of not being good enough to play the part.. just an unexplained comment about being the new superman would be scary without an explanation on what exactly was scary...

jedi66

[76]Oct 1, 2008

I think it probably had more to do with auditioning for a show he was being told absolutely nothing about other than it being "The New Superman" as his first real acting role. I believe the term he descibed it with was "daunting." It didn't mention typecasting at all, and the no tights on the show was just something Kelly Rippa asked that he confirmed. He didn't say he had a problem with wearing a costume, but that he wasn't being given any information about the show.

If I were an actor auditioning for my first role, and the starring role at that, I would want to know that the show stood a good chance of being a success, and that I was ready for the part. Clearly he was. Unfortunately, the producers were the ones who couldn't adapt as the show evolved. Don't miss them at all.

OdumCarlock

[77]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 12
    Just re-watched it and at 2:51 he says it was "Scary" (Not nitpicking but the wording really leaves it more open ended to what it could mean...) Daunting DOES sound like he'd be considering the role beyond his means but scary could mean he was scared about being typecast and only took the role after finding out he wouldn't be dressing up as Superman.. So either way...it's still pretty vague as to what he actually felt (plus keep in mind after the fact he could pad the story whichever way he wanted)

jedi66

[78]Oct 2, 2008

OdumCarlock wrote:
    Just re-watched it and at 2:51 he says it was "Scary" (Not nitpicking but the wording really leaves it more open ended to what it could mean...) Daunting DOES sound like he'd be considering the role beyond his means but scary could mean he was scared about being typecast and only took the role after finding out he wouldn't be dressing up as Superman.. So either way...it's still pretty vague as to what he actually felt (plus keep in mind after the fact he could pad the story whichever way he wanted)

Agreed... and Hell freezes over, what do you know? Huh.

But yeah, I agree with what you say. That single example is too vague, and doesn't really have much bearing on whether Tom Welling would be willing to play or consider himself up to the task of playing Superman in a feature film. I would think that after seven or eight years of playing the younger Kal-El on TV, he's proven his acting ability enough to tackle the part as opposed to playing such a well known character as his first real acting job and risking ruining his career before it even had a chance to begin. And I really don't think he's worried about typecasting or wearing the costume after all this time, if he ever really was. He is the person anyone from 2001 and on is going to equate with super-powered Clark Kent if not Superman per se.

I do think he could handle the role, and would like to see him take it on if the part became available after Smallville ends, or even a TV movie as seems to be the trend starting now after series end.

RHam_01

[79]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 14
    Enthropii wrote:
    ZBishop26 wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Kat

He can be. It's just that no one's explored it.

Agreed. They have never written Superman the way they should. In the comics some of his storylines are brilliant. We need somebody like Christopher Nolan to revive the Superman franchise.

Ham

bigoverpac666

[80]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 5

I think Welling would be great, after all he's been playing Clark Kent for the last 8 years !!!

And I think he would be WAY BETTER than Brandon Routh, because Welling is expierienced in playing the character and routh is just a guy they picked up off the streets to play as Superman.