TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

historylover20

[101]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 28

Enthropii wrote:
    Ok, agreeing with Kat a lot here. But Batman Begins came before Superman Returns btw. The only thing I disagree with is Ackles. Sorry. I love that dude in Supernatural and I wouldn't mind seeing him as Hal Jordan, Barry Allen or hell, even Bruce Wayne if they wanted a diff Bats in the JLA movies. But he's not Clark Kent, and definitely not Superman. I wouldn't even put Jackman in as Superman. And I agree that Welling may look good in the costume, tt being said, so would anyone with biceps that size. I agree that Superman has to look like a dude capable of moving mountains. But more than that, I think he needs to look perfect. I'm a straight guy, but I honestly think Supes should be John Hamm. Send the guy for the same workout that Gerard Butler did before 300 and he's good to go.

I was really joking about Jensen Ackles. I guess a dry sense of humor doesn't really come out in type!

And I know Superman Returns came out before Batman Begins. My point was Superman Returns needs a reboot ala Batman Begins. Not rely on the same movies.

Kat

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OdumCarlock

[102]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 12
    And I LIKED Van Helsing!!

historylover20

[103]Apr 5, 2009

For the record, I'm not advocating for Jensen Ackles to play Superman. I would find that frankly ridiculous.

I can't believe people took me seriously.

Here was a clue--when I mentioned the fandumb would see it 17 times if he would take off his shirt. Although, they would. But I was joking.

Thinking of taking off shirts, I also liked Van Helsing! Hugh Jackman in a loin cloth...

I'll be in my happy place.

Kat

OdumCarlock

[104]Apr 5, 2009
    Wait Hugh Jackman was in that? I didn't see anyone past Kate Beckinsale....

historylover20

[105]Apr 5, 2009

Kate Beckinsale was in it? Wow. News to me.

Kat

OdumCarlock

[106]Apr 5, 2009
    I have a feeling if me and Kat ever sat down and watched a movie together we'd see entirely different shows....

historylover20

[107]Apr 5, 2009

Seems that way, doesn't it?

Kat

Enthropii

[108]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 23
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    I have a feeling if me and Kat ever sat down and watched a movie together we'd see entirely different shows....

Isthat your way of askin Kat out Odum?

Sorry if I got your previous post wrong Kat.

And yeah, I get that we aren't exactly sayin tt Jackman should be Superman. Or anyone else for that matter. The point here isn't who should be Superman. It is that Tom should NOT be Superman.

And before someone starts whining "oh but Tom IS Superman", don't bother. As much as he has turned into more of a guy, I'm nt buying into the Smallville=Superman theory until Lana comes back and Clark says, "I've no time for you."

And it's not just that Clark is weak, problem is Tom isnt all that great either. And the fact that his face can now be generally associated to the version of Superman that is suffering retardation, I really don't want him on a screen bigger than my computer monitor.

And the effects on Smallville lately is comparable to fan-made movies. So really, watchin it on my laptop is givin enough justice to Smallville considering that it's equivalent to something found on YouTube.

I was actually Tom for Superman kinda guy during Seasons 1 to 4. Then I watched Season 5. It ended there. And besides, if Smallville ended up being tied to the movie franchise, I'm pretty sure that Lois will die, and Lana will gain shape shiftin abilities and change her name to Lois.

So let Samllville - and everything associated to it - die with Season 9, and bring on a real movie. An epic movie.

historylover20

[109]Apr 5, 2009

Oh, that's alright, Enthropii. I'm not angry or upset in any way. I guess sarcasm doesn't really work on a forum post!

Kat

OdumCarlock

[110]Apr 5, 2009
    Asking Kat out? i was just saying if we sat down and watched the same movie we'd both walk away seeing something completely different... She already broke my heart with the whole "Van Helsing" crack....There's No coming back from that!!

historylover20

[111]Apr 5, 2009

Yes. I am a heartbreaker, a dream maker, love taker. Don't you mess around with me.

(Van Helsing's going to be on FX in 10 minutes here.)

Kat

Edited on 04/05/2009 11:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

smolvilhiro

[112]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 3
    Enthropii wrote:
    And yeah, I get that we aren't exactly sayin tt Jackman should be Superman. Or anyone else for that matter. The point here isn't who should be Superman. It is that Tom should NOT be Superman.

And before someone starts whining "oh but Tom IS Superman", don't bother. As much as he has turned into more of a guy, I'm nt buying into the Smallville=Superman theory until Lana comes back and Clark says, "I've no time for you."

And it's not just that Clark is weak, problem is Tom isnt all that great either. And the fact that his face can now be generally associated to the version of Superman that is suffering retardation, I really don't want him on a screen bigger than my computer monitor.

And the effects on Smallville lately is comparable to fan-made movies. So really, watchin it on my laptop is givin enough justice to Smallville considering that it's equivalent to something found on YouTube.

I was actually Tom for Superman kinda guy during Seasons 1 to 4. Then I watched Season 5. It ended there. And besides, if Smallville ended up being tied to the movie franchise, I'm pretty sure that Lois will die, and Lana will gain shape shiftin abilities and change her name to Lois.

So let Samllville - and everything associated to it - die with Season 9, and bring on a real movie. An epic movie.

but if you stopped believing tom could be superman after season 5, that kinda says that the writing did him in... which has never been great, but especially worse seasons 5-7. give the guy a break, he can't hire the writer's of battlestar galactica (he should try), he can't get the cw to raise the fx-budget. and after 8 seasons of not being challenged as an actor, not by the directors, not by the writers... he ain't the superman a reboot would need, but he could have been, he could be again. would need much, much work, completely learn to act a whole new time, for a whole new level... yada yada, not gonna happen. i'll say one thing: welling before routh.

OdumCarlock

[113]Apr 5, 2009
    Tom's directed enough episodes and still delivered the same boring performance. and sorry but the actor is the final line between good and bad performances. there's no excuse for bad acting besides it just being a bad actor. a good actor can make bad writing at least tolerable.

Oh and Kat has me interested again... mean women are hot!!

smolvilhiro

[114]Apr 5, 2009
    still don't make him a good director... and good, way more experienced directors can coax their actors into performing better. no one challenged him to grow as an actor (he himself should've done that, yeah), but come on... this is one of a million tv shows, and most people don't care that much about the acting being top-notch. if everything around you is mediocre, you'll eventually end up being mediocre yourself. being a movie actor is easier in one way: they don't have to deliver 20-25 episodes worth of material... if you're dealing with that much bad writing, it does pull you down, especially if you weren't charlton heston-material to begin with.

Enthropii

[115]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 23
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    Tom's directed enough episodes and still delivered the same boring performance. and sorry but the actor is the final line between good and bad performances. there's no excuse for bad acting besides it just being a bad actor. a good actor can make bad writing at least tolerable.

Oh and Kat has me interested again... mean women are hot!!

I agree with you my friend. I also agree on the Tom thing.

And I loved Van Helsing. No idea wat was wrong with it. By the way, did you knw that Hugh Jackman acted in Van Helsing? And that Van Helsing is an actualy character and not just a catchphrase used by Kate Beckinsale?

And in response to smolvilhiro, you're right, it is the writing that did Tom in. But here's the thing, i believed that Tom could be Superman based on his performance as Clark and that one episode of him as Kal-El. And no, I don't count Red K Clark as Kal-El. But now I realise, that Clark is really all Tow can do. As Kal, he barely had lines. So no. No Tom Welling for Clark Kent/Superman.

smolvilhiro

[116]Apr 5, 2009
    and the bigger problem with the bad writing isn't the corny lines - they are the most visible part, and there a great actor can lessen the pain of watching, but the one thing even the greatest actor cannot magically pull out of his hat is the plot, the character development, the epic saga.... if it's not in the script, it's not going to happen. i'm quite serious that what keeps smallville from really soaring above the clouds is not only the mediocre acting personnel, the mediocre directing, but also, with at least as big a fault, the bad to mediocre writing. they didn't know most of the time what they wanted to do, where they wanted to go, and even right now, the way clark is supposed to become supes is being written in the crudest script possible... the lessons are as subtle as a sledgehammer, and that for me is the biggest drag on the series.

OdumCarlock

[117]Apr 5, 2009
    So you're saying that dozens of directors on smallville have all been bad and poor toms performance is their fault? Because there have been strong episodes that he was still the extremely weak link in. I notice that Allison Mack, Michael Rosenbaum Sam Witwer John Schnieder Annette O'Toole and John Glover seem to escape the bad directors curse. So why can't Tom?

good actors flourish, bad actors founder.

smolvilhiro

[118]Apr 5, 2009
    Enthropii wrote:
    And in response to smolvilhiro, you're right, it is the writing that did Tom in. But here's the thing, i believed that Tom could be Superman based on his performance as Clark and that one episode of him as Kal-El. And no, I don't count Red K Clark as Kal-El. But now I realise, that Clark is really all Tow can do. As Kal, he barely had lines. So no. No Tom Welling for Clark Kent/Superman.

oh, tom deserves a lot of blame, but he couldn't have turned it around on his own, even had he known or wanted to. the production and writing are chiefly responsible for the mess smallville has become. too much of every season has been gimmicky filler-stuff, maybe good for a moment (most of the time not even that), but not good for a long time. all those meteor-freaks that came and went... worthless material, if you look at the bigger story.

smallville season 8 has reached a point story-wise where it should have been 3-4 seasons ago. and then taken its cue from comics and really asked themselves, what is the greater arc, what are the stories that can be told... there's such a wealth of great material to be inspired by.

smolvilhiro

[119]Apr 5, 2009
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    So you're saying that dozens of directors on smallville have all been bad and poor toms performance is their fault? Because there have been strong episodes that he was still the extremely weak link in. I notice that Allison Mack, Michael Rosenbaum Sam Witwer John Schnieder Annette O'Toole and John Glover seem to escape the bad directors curse. So why can't Tom?

good actors flourish, bad actors founder.

don't put words in my mouth, i never absolved tw of all guilt, yeah, he never was the great actor, and quite frankly maybe he was miscast in the series. the bigger fault still lies with the production company, the writers, the cw... whoever decides on the arc of a season and the series. there could've been great seasons in which tw was the weak link in, instead there were strong episodes. that ain't the way it's supposed to be, is it?

and apart from john glover, every other actor you named had a couple of moments that made me groan...

historylover20

[120]Apr 5, 2009

OK... so I'm confused...

So, you don't think Tom Welling is good enough to become Superman?

I know you were talking about Hugh Jackman, which is what brought about all the Van Helsing talk. Are you on our side when we say Tom Welling shouldn't be Superman?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Because I don't want to see Tom as Superman. However, I do think he's got some talent as a director. In fact, more talent than being an actor.

Kat