Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

Enthropii

[141]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 23
    Yeah. I suggested John Hamm. He was amazing in both Mad Men and 30 Rock. He also has a very relaxed, yet commanding presence about him. Kinda defines Superman.

But Odum's also right, unknowns tend to work well in the role, so perhaps tradition should be maintained.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

borikuarocks

[142]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 13
    I actually have no problem with Tom as Superman, but having him as Superman would need to somehow tie the movies into the show. And again, it can be done. But, as for someone else to play Superman, what about BSG's Jamie Bamber (Apollo)?

Enthropii

[143]Apr 8, 2009
    borikuarocks wrote:
    But, as for someone else to play Superman, what about BSG's Jamie Bamber (Apollo)?

Wow... he actually looks like Michael Turner drew him...

iLovSmallville

[144]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 3

heck ya i think tom welling should be playing superman he has a lot of potential,he is a great great great ator, he has the looks, the posture, and the farm boy type of vibe and and in my opinoin tom welling hes just as good or possible better than Chris Reaves!!!!!!!!! i dont think any other actor could play the roll of superman on Smallville better!!!

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supermanpaint.jpg

Enthropii

[145]Apr 8, 2009
    iLovSmallville wrote:

heck ya i think tom welling should be playing superman he has a lot of potential,he is a great great great ator, he has the looks, the posture, and the farm boy type of vibe and and in my opinoin tom welling hes just as good or possible better than Chris Reaves!!!!!!!!! i dont think any other actor could play the roll of superman on Smallville better!!!

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supermanpaint.jpg

Tt's cuz there is no Superman on Smallville. Just Lanaboy.

jrsgalaxy

[146]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    smolvilhiro wrote:
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    I Play the Waynes World 2 card on that. The scene where the mechanic starts reminiscing and Wayne says we can do better than this and they bring in Charleton Heston who re-reads the same line... if you don't think a great actor can make weak writing better than it is you've never seen that scene.

always a good card to play

i won't deny that a great actor can make weak writing look better. but weak writing makes a weak actor look even worse than he is... instead of giving routh&tw a crutch to stand on, the writers in both cases kicked them when they were already lying on the floor. next thing that's supercomplicated for a superman movie... get writers for some epic stuff, but electrocute them each time they use a corny line.
    And sometimes weak directors are unable to bring out the best in an actor happy to wrap up the wooden scenes.

OdumCarlock

[147]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    Enthropii wrote:
    borikuarocks wrote:
    But, as for someone else to play Superman, what about BSG's Jamie Bamber (Apollo)?

Jamie Bamber has the right look but he's a little small, but what about Helo?

Enthropii

[148]Apr 8, 2009
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    borikuarocks wrote:

Oh cool, it's that dude from Dollhouse. I like the guy. Quite cool. But I don't know if he is Superman-ish. But from what I've seen from Dollhouse, he might be a good Green Arrow.

And does anyone else thing that David Boreanaz would make a fantastic Hal Jordan?

Enigler

[149]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 8

Enthropii wrote:
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    borikuarocks wrote:
    Oh cool, it's that dude from Dollhouse. I like the guy. Quite cool. But I don't know if he is Superman-ish. But from what I've seen from Dollhouse, he might be a good Green Arrow. And does anyone else thing that David Boreanaz would make a fantastic Hal Jordan?

Well, he did the voice work for the character in New Frontier. But aside from that, yea, I can see him as Hal in a live action role.

jrsgalaxy

[150]Apr 9, 2009
    They should just get a great actor and beef him up slightly with the costume . It worked awesome for that guy that played Juggernaut in X3.

Enigler

[151]Apr 9, 2009

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    They should just get a great actor and beef him up slightly with the costume . It worked awesome for that guy that played Juggernaut in X3.

Whoa....great actor--> beef him up ---> like the guy who played Juggernaut?

Vinnie Jones = great beefed up actor? I only minored in math, but I don't think that computes correctly.

jrsgalaxy

[152]Apr 9, 2009
    Enigler wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:

Vinnie Jones = great beefed up actor? I only minored in math, but I don't think that computes correctly.

Yeah that was pretty stupid huh. They should still get a great actor . But I didnt mean that Vinnie Jones was a great actor. I was actually just referring to the beefing up part because he's not really that big . They used CGI to make him look like 300 pounds of p!$$ed of rage.

Enigler

[153]Apr 9, 2009
    jrsgalaxy wrote:
    Enigler wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:

Yeah that was pretty stupid huh. They should still get a great actor . But I didnt mean that Vinnie Jones was a great actor. I was actually just referring to the beefing up part because he's not really that big . They used CGI to make him look like 300 pounds of p!$$ed of rage.

He was intimidating before the role. A couple extra pounds and the gear strapped to him made him down right scary as Juggarnaut. I'd move the heck out of the way if he came charging at me.

Oh, and back to the last couple of questions. Didn't they opt for a different actor for Supes for the JLA movie? I cannot remember who, but Hollywood was thinking about other people besides Routh and Welling. Ya know, if Tatum wasn't up for GL, I think that he could get away with being Big Red. From Duke to Clark. Two comic heroes. Know you know...and knowing is half the battle....GO JOE!

buckelew

[154]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 6
    of course tom welling should play superman! i would love to see him in tights!! after watching him play clark kent for so long on smallville, he is the only person i see as that character. it's just not the same when you see superman movies, with someone else playing clark kent and lex luthor. he is an amzing actor, he could do any role he wants, but yes she should play superman!

chrisobroin

[155]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 7
    Of course he's been clark Kent it is only natural that it should progress to superman...

sameoldme2

[156]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 1

could someone tell me how to watch the last episode of smallville on tv.com, i don't see a play button anywhere.

jrsgalaxy

[157]Apr 11, 2009
    sameoldme2 wrote:

could someone tell me how to watch the last episode of smallville on tv.com, i don't see a play button anywhere.

I dont know about here, but you could always go to cw.com or cwtv.com and watch them there as well. Usually have the last three episodes.

SixSigma1978

[158]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 4
    Tom Welling should NOT play superman. He's too boyish - perfect for clark kent. No one can play clark better than Welling. But he is NOT superman material!!!
    Edited on 04/11/2009 9:38pm

thebeanforlife

[159]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 10
    Enthropii wrote:
    jedi66 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Although I would love to see him as Superman, and I think he's typecast anyways, has anyone considered that Tom himself probably doesn't want to be cast as Superman? Since that's the case, it doesn't matter how many petitions we sign, it's never going to happen.

Kat

Peoeple change their minds all the time, in fact, show a recent article where he says he won't do it. Over time if the WB still wants him he'll have a shot, the rest would be up to him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Welling also meet with the director who was gong to do the 2006 Superman film (who later left and Singer took over).

And let's not forget the money Tom Welling would make for starring in a Superman feature film. As Vince McMahon from the WWE says: "Show me the MONEY!!!"

Wasn't that Jerry McGuire?

It's Vince Mcmahon that says it

Enthropii

[160]Apr 12, 2009
    thebeanforlife wrote:
    Enthropii wrote:
    jedi66 wrote:
    Welling4Supes wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:

Although I would love to see him as Superman, and I think he's typecast anyways, has anyone considered that Tom himself probably doesn't want to be cast as Superman? Since that's the case, it doesn't matter how many petitions we sign, it's never going to happen.

Kat

Peoeple change their minds all the time, in fact, show a recent article where he says he won't do it. Over time if the WB still wants him he'll have a shot, the rest would be up to him. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Welling also meet with the director who was gong to do the 2006 Superman film (who later left and Singer took over).

And let's not forget the money Tom Welling would make for starring in a Superman feature film. As Vince McMahon from the WWE says: "Show me the MONEY!!!"

Wasn't that Jerry McGuire?

It's Vince Mcmahon that says it

So does Jerry McGuire.