Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Tom Welling as Superman!

OdumCarlock

[162]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    Yeah Jerry Maguire is where I first heard it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aurora2731

[163]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 2

Yes and no

Yes because he's perfect for a better clark kent image in the movie-I hate kent the reporter being a bumbling fool although the contrast is great drama, but you feel so sorry for him wish he'd develope a bit of backbone lke tom has represented in Smallville.

No because I'm selfish and I want a long lasting show in smallville and Tom is great as a developing Superman. But if smallville continues on he would be a great TV series superman. The best!

I say Keep the newest superman, even the bumbling clark kent because truly Superman's perception of humans is his representation of clark kent: humans are-weak, slow to respond, sometimes coragous but most of the time in need of some type of help, kind and resiliant always coming back for more even though it's bad for their health and stubborn and superman is just that above mere-humans in all ways.

borikuarocks

[164]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 13
    aurora2731 wrote:

Yes and no

Yes because he's perfect for a better clark kent image in the movie-I hate kent the reporter being a bumbling fool although the contrast is great drama, but you feel so sorry for him wish he'd develope a bit of backbone lke tom has represented in Smallville.

No because I'm selfish and I want a long lasting show in smallville and Tom is great as a developing Superman. But if smallville continues on he would be a great TV series superman. The best!

I say Keep the newest superman, even the bumbling clark kent because truly Superman's perception of humans is his representation of clark kent: humans are-weak, slow to respond, sometimes coragous but most of the time in need of some type of help, kind and resiliant always coming back for more even though it's bad for their health and stubborn and superman is just that above mere-humans in all ways.

I agree with you, with exception to the last part...ESPECIALLY with exception to the last part. Clark Kent hasnt viewed the human race this way in ages. And he's stopped "mocking us" that way even longer. Truth is the ONLY medium that has Superman with a superiority complex has been the Chris Reeves films. Its part of the reason the movies flopped. How can we be expeted to connect to a character, who is obviously above us. Thats why "Smallville" has been sucessfull. As with The Comics, "Lois and Clark" and "Superman: The Animated Series" and "JLU". Its because in THOSE mediums, Superman is just the disguise. The person we see underneath, the moralities, the thought process, its ALL HUMAN. Given to him by his human parents. Fortified by his human wife. If the movies want to be successfull, they need to stop writing Superman as the man, and Clark Kent as how he views humans as.

OdumCarlock

[165]Apr 13, 2009
    But Clark intentionally bumbles around as the reporter, classic example was in Superman Returns when he overhears Lois and her Fiance talking about how tall Superman is then he asks how tall Clark is then he gets clumsy and intentionally knocks stuff over and they both look at each other, laugh and say "Nah". if Clark is all decisive and strong willed people will be looking up to him instead of looking down and snickering over what a dork he is.

While I Loved Lois and Clark the series, that was the biggest problem with Dean Cains Clark Kent AND George Reeves old take on the character, they both acted the same as Clark AND Superman. the only difference was the glasses and the cape. meanwhile Christopher Reeves Superman really did seem like 2 different people. Meanwhile TW always tries to seem strong and willful but never really pulls it off.

borikuarocks

[166]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 13
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    But Clark intentionally bumbles around as the reporter, classic example was in Superman Returns when he overhears Lois and her Fiance talking about how tall Superman is then he asks how tall Clark is then he gets clumsy and intentionally knocks stuff over and they both look at each other, laugh and say "Nah". if Clark is all decisive and strong willed people will be looking up to him instead of looking down and snickering over what a dork he is.

While I Loved Lois and Clark the series, that was the biggest problem with Dean Cains Clark Kent AND George Reeves old take on the character, they both acted the same as Clark AND Superman. the only difference was the glasses and the cape. meanwhile Christopher Reeves Superman really did seem like 2 different people. Meanwhile TW always tries to seem strong and willful but never really pulls it off.
    I know what your saying, but look at Superman: Birthright, they did an excellent example of how to do a Clark Kent who isnt a bumbling idiot. He's shy, a social outcast, and keeps his head down ad always buried in something. You can do a Clark Kent right, without turning him into a clutz. Reserve the clutz ONLY when its needed. Dont parade him as an idiot. Clark Kent is supposed to be one of the most brilliant minds at the Daily Planet. Not DC Comics version of Jar Jar Binks.

chadjlock

[167]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 6

borikuarocks wrote:
    Clark Kent is supposed to be one of the most brilliant minds at the Daily Planet. Not DC Comics version of Jar Jar Binks.

Man, you crack me up with the references, esp when they are spot-on!

OdumCarlock

[168]Apr 13, 2009
    borikuarocks wrote:
    OdumCarlock wrote:

I know what your saying, but look at Superman: Birthright, they did an excellent example of how to do a Clark Kent who isnt a bumbling idiot. He's shy, a social outcast, and keeps his head down ad always buried in something. You can do a Clark Kent right, without turning him into a clutz. Reserve the clutz ONLY when its needed. Dont parade him as an idiot. Clark Kent is supposed to be one of the most brilliant minds at the Daily Planet. Not DC Comics version of Jar Jar Binks.
    Well the Superman Returns reference was what I meant, he acts normally til the act is needed. but his goal is and should be making people look down at Clark Kent and look up to Superman. Reeves over did it in places, but that scene where Lois figures out that Clark WAS Superman because his hand didn't burn, he sighed, stood straight, without the clark slouch and it was like seeing him change into someone else without even the slightest bit of special effects.

BQOFLPN7

[169]Apr 13, 2009
    Is anyone as anxious as I am to see this whole doomsday because a lot has been building up to it

GemiSantana

[170]Apr 14, 2009

Hell Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

geoff2469

[171]Apr 14, 2009
    Hell to the Yeah!!!

bianca783

[172]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    OMG YES!!!!! Idk why he didnt do superman returns. I understand that he doesn't want to be typed cast but he would've been a better fit in the movie than that nobody they gpt instead.

OdumCarlock

[173]Apr 14, 2009
    Actually Tom Welling is probably the only thing they could have done to make Superman Returns Worse.

Enthropii

[174]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 23
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    Actually Tom Welling is probably the only thing they could have done to make Superman Returns Worse.

Not true. There's alsothe inclusion of Lana into the primary plot... one guess who would have been cast?

OdumCarlock

[175]Apr 15, 2009
    Hate to say it but even KK As Lana would have been better than the Lois they had.

Enthropii

[176]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    OdumCarlock wrote:
    Hate to say it but even KK As Lana would have been better than the Lois they had.

Sigh... that is true...

Intrepyd-45

[177]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 8

I'm gonna go and say he shouldn't be cast for a Superman movie that isn't part of the Smallville storyline. For one it would just cause a lot of confusion; some may refer to it as the 'Smallville Movie' when it's not. Make Tom Welling The Man of Steel in the series Smallville and THEN if it's still an option or something the writing team would want to do/could find funding for make an actual Smallville movie starring Tom as Superman.

Put simply, no he should not be cast as Superman in the next Reeve legacy film but yes he should definately become Superman before Smallville's end and I would LOVE to see him star as such in a Smallville Movie.

historylover20

[178]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 28
    Intrepyd-45 wrote:

I'm gonna go and say he shouldn't be cast for a Superman movie that isn't part of the Smallville storyline. For one it would just cause a lot of confusion; some may refer to it as the 'Smallville Movie' when it's not. Make Tom Welling The Man of Steel in the series Smallville and THEN if it's still an option or something the writing team would want to do/could find funding for make an actual Smallville movie starring Tom as Superman.

Put simply, no he should not be cast as Superman in the next Reeve legacy film but yes he should definately become Superman before Smallville's end and I would LOVE to see him star as such in a Smallville Movie.

ITA! In fact, so many of us have made this same argument way back when.

I don't know why your argument (which is very succient and logical) is so hard for some people to understand.

Kat

celeste74

[179]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 3
    Abolutely. I would love to see Tom Welling play Superman.