Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

What happened to Smallville?

jewlee14

[1]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 5
    I couldn't find another topic on this and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of this but....

What happened to Smallville? The show seems to place Clark as a secondary character this season. I don't know if its just me or what, but Lex/Lana have popped out into the forefront. Clark is now reduced to showing up at the right moment. (At least thats what I've noticed)

I like Lex and all but I'm more interested in seeing the progression of Clark all the way to The Daily Planet and becoming Superman than how Lex and Lana got it on or even the introduction of the JL characters. Don't get me wrong its fun seeing Flash, Aquaman and Green Arrow appear. Its just this season seems so out of place.

I don't know....maybe I'm just a psycho rambling.... =)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brickmanfalcon

[2]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 17
    Well, Clark is a product of his surroundings. I'm sure even Lex's new relationship is having an influence on the development of Superman. And the JL? I can't wait for that.

everydayheros

[3]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 13
    Clark has been a bit of a background charecter this year, but we have so much development going on, that it is harrd to focus on everyone. Don't worry yhey'll swing back around to him pretty soon.

SSj_Guitarist

[4]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 2
    I know what you mean, but I read, and I can't remember where I read it, but I read that this season they were gonna be developing Lex's dark side, so I guess that would be why the focus on him so far

asecooper222

[5]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 21

I don't find he's becoming a secondary character, I find it's more of a thing where all the characters are evening out. Like last season, there were so many episodes during the whole CLana thing where she wasn't even in the episode. Same with Lois, despite her becoming a regular. So rather, less his role has lessened, but for the better. 

flashkid25

[6]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 1
    Yea I think they always kind of go back and forth on who they might focus on the most in the seasons. Like season 3,4,& 5 all had there own little part of focus whether it was the stones, Lana as a witch or Clarks father dying. So it makes sense that they decided to focus on Lex's dark side. So far it almost seems as if hes been kind of hiding it while hes been with Lana so far, but I think thats going to change soon.

lordvader86

[7]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 8
    It feels like Chloe has taken over to me.  She in in every other scene!  The show is supposed to be about Clark and his journey to become Superman!  Not Chloe and her magical computer.

asecooper222

[8]Oct 25, 2006
    lordvader86 wrote:
    It feels like Chloe has taken over to me.  She in in every other scene!  The show is supposed to be about Clark and his journey to become Superman!  Not Chloe and her magical computer.
    More Chloe is NEVER a bad thing . In fact, we should have a episode where Clark's powers get transferred to her, and then he falls off a building and the show can now be about Chloe and her saving people!
    Edited on 10/25/2006 2:30am

FreakyDroid

[9]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 12
    Oh please no, we have enough SuperChloe already. I think I'll throw up if I see another Chloe-centric episode.

asecooper222

[10]Oct 25, 2006

FreakyDroid wrote:
    Oh please no, we have enough SuperChloe already. I think I'll throw up if I see another Chloe-centric episode.

What don't you like about Chloe? Is it just the "too much attention" thing, or something about her character? Frankly, I think Clark has no idea what he's missing... but Lois is a VERY close second, mainly because I like Allison Mack over Erica Durance anyday, and the two characters are WAY too similar to make any comparison in that respect, so it's down to looks for me . Always glad to hear another person's side though.

Btw, Freaky, how did you get that avatar? I've been meaning to ask for ages...

FreakyDroid

[11]Oct 25, 2006
    Its nothing against the character, I'm just sick of Chloe saving the day. You're right, I don't like when she's getting too much attention. I guess its because she's become too perfect since she found out the secret, or the way I see it she's more of a plot device. One time she can track video feeds, recognize hi-tech home made equipment, other times she can crack passwords etc etc, but then there are times when she cant even restore deleted files from her computer (arrow), cant crack passwords, cant open doors... She's a reporter who doest write stories, just sits at the DP to help Clark. Sorry to say, but I dont see her useful to the story anymore.

Getting an avatar like mine is impossible because tv.com changed their html code a few months ago.
    Edited on 10/25/2006 3:01am

asecooper222

[12]Oct 25, 2006
    Well, the "being able to do anything with resouces way beyond a 18/19 year old" thing, that's gotten to me since Season 2 or 3, where she "had a guy" who could track fingerprints... I mean c'mon! But that was something I can ignore since it really isn't character, it's a plot device like you said. As a character, I think we just need to give her a few more eps, they're starting at least something with Mr. Olsen.

FreakyDroid

[13]Oct 25, 2006
    The problem with Chloe is that she's too perfect and unrealistic. If they want to fix her they have to ruin the character, and now its too late for that. IMO the best they can do for her is to give her her own storyline separate from Clark's. I guess this is the reason why I liked Pete more as a sidekick: he had his own life, he was dumber then Clark and the plots were more interesting because not everything was solved with a computer. In other words Pete wasn't stealing from Clark's development, but Chloe does, because every time she saves the day, Clark scores negative points in my book. He needs to grow up, to mind his surroundings, to start using his brains for a change, instead of relying on Chloe for every single thing. Again, I don't hate or dislike Chloe in any way, but I don't like it when she gets more attention then the main character. Clark's journey will be wrapped up in this season, if we're lucky maybe we'll get a 7th season, and its about time he starts developing as an independent person.

everydayheros

[14]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 13
    I think they should have made Chloe less attractive. She has beauty; she has brains; she has contacts waaaaaay beond that of a normal college age girl; and she can kick @$$ whenever she feels like it. Either that or they should have given her less in one of the other areas. Nobody in real life, and even in comic books, has all of that except for the superhero. I think you're right Freaky, Chloe is way too perfect.

borikua_rocks

[15]Oct 26, 2006
    everydayheros wrote:
    I think they should have made Chloe less attractive. She has beauty; she has brains; she has contacts waaaaaay beond that of a normal college age girl; and she can kick @$$ whenever she feels like it. Either that or they should have given her less in one of the other areas. Nobody in real life, and even in comic books, has all of that except for the superhero. I think you're right Freaky, Chloe is way too perfect.
    Chloe is Smallville version of "The Oracle". I wouldnt put it pass teh creators having her join Birds of Prey or training a young Barbara Gorden

oba717

[16]Oct 26, 2006
    borikua_rocks wrote:
    everydayheros wrote:
    Chloe is Smallville version of "The Oracle". I wouldnt put it pass teh creators having her join Birds of Prey or training a young Barbara Gorden

Who's Barbara Gorden?

asecooper222

[17]Oct 26, 2006
    oba717 wrote:
    borikua_rocks wrote:
    everydayheros wrote:

Who's Barbara Gorden?

Batgirl.

oba717

[18]Oct 26, 2006
    asecooper222 wrote:
    oba717 wrote:
    borikua_rocks wrote:
    everydayheros wrote:

Who's Barbara Gorden?

Batgirl.

How little I know, thanks Coop!
    700th post!!!

FreakyDroid

[19]Oct 26, 2006
    Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, before she got shot by the Joker in the spine, which paralyzed her. After that she became Oracle, a computer geek which helps almost every superhero team in the DCU.

oba717

[20]Oct 26, 2006
    FreakyDroid wrote:
    Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, before she got shot by the Joker in the spine, which paralyzed her. After that she became Oracle, a computer geek which helps almost every superhero team in the DCU.

I've seen enough. I'll stick with my Archie!!