Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Where should/will Smallville go into syndication?

beowulf579

[1]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 59

With ten seasons of tv under their belt, where will Smallville go for reruns? Obviously it might be nice to see the CW start having Smallville on in the mornings perhaps or have huge Smallville blocks in the daytime like Syfy does with their programming.

Curious, does the CW have exclusive rights to Smallville? Or would they (or any) tv network have to get DC comics approval to show reruns?

So....beyond CW, where might it go? Syfy...Oxygen (don't laugh..they got Buffy), BBC...someone else?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 32

ABC Family used to run repeats daily a few years back but stopped and now that Disney owns Marvel, they would be more likely to program a Marvel character than a DC one. Along with ABC, I would doubt Disney XD is viable.

As far as I know, Warner Brothers owns the rights to the series and can shop it out to any network. However, any syndication deal may have to wait until the resolution of the Copyright lawsuit between Warner Brothers and the heirs of Siegel and Shuster as that suit could lead to all rights to Superman, including Smallville reverting back to the families.

Other than those problems, there are a number of networks that could air the show on a daily basis but it would have to be a channel that is used to programming this type of show and is willing to dedicate an hour block to it. TNT already airs Supernatural and Charmed daily in two hour blocks so they have a good track record when it comes to the WB/CW series. As you mentioned SyFy may be a good possibility as they do air former shows, usually in a 4-5 hour block during certain days, even when the shows only lasted a short time like Firefly and Moonlight. Spike TV has aired series like Star Trek in the past though they seem to focus heavily on real life procedurals like CSI.

The Hub is a relatively new network that has a good mix of old and new series including Batman Beyond so that may be a nother possibility. Nick could also be possible. However, they would likely be unwilling to dedicate an hour to the series when they are used to airing only half hour series.

Other than that, there are networks like Oxygen. While the network focuses on female focused series like Charmed and Buffy, Smallville has its share of strong female protagonists with Lana, Lois, Chloe, Marthaand Tess which could fit into that category.

MrBovineOrdure

[3]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 6

The thing you *won't* see is Smallville episodes on HULU. Warner Brother's prefer to keep their shows off the internet which is a shame. They did the same thing with "V" only showing the first half of the season, then withdrawing permission when they picked back up.

Not a big problem as I own the DVDs up to season 7 (When I lost interest in the storyline and only watched those I recorded to see where it goes.) but it's a bit myoptic on WB's part.

Mr BO

CharmedOneP391

[4]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 19

HDNet airs one episode in the mornings at 7 or 8 oclock. But they only go through season 7.

I'm waiting for TNT to pick up rights to air the episodes.

kanniballl

[5]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 18

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

HDNet airs one episode in the mornings at 7 or 8 oclock. But they only go through season 7.

I'm waiting for TNT to pick up rights to air the episodes.

I think HDNet used to show more episodes than that a couple of years back. I recall being able to watch it after work, or at least during my company's summer hours. But that stopped a while ago. I didn't even know they were airing it in the mornings now.

I don't recall seeing that many WB shows in syndication. Sure, CBS has their sitcoms on various channels via syndication as well as the CSIs and NCIS. But the WB... I don't recall much of anything.

scifinut99

[6]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 15

the loss suit between wb and whoever was suing them has been decided as long as wb keeps making superman movies are tv shows they keep the rights to make movies as long as the new movie is out by 2013 if not they loose the rights. and i dont need syndication i have every episode on dvd

antdude

[7]Apr 8, 2011
    • level: 28
    I remember KTLA (not sure if it the same for other CW stations) used to show old episodes on Saturday afternoons.

kari916

[8]May 2, 2011
    • level: 3

antdude wrote:
    I remember KTLA (not sure if it the same for other CW stations) used to show old episodes on Saturday afternoons.
    Yeah my CW back when it was the WB used to have Smallville weekends they don't do that anymore. Personally I am waiting until the complete series comes out in the Fall that is if we are still here after May 21 just kidding

SupermanNYC

[9]May 14, 2011
    • level: 45
    beowulf579 wrote:

With ten seasons of tv under their belt, where will Smallville go for reruns? Obviously it might be nice to see the CW start having Smallville on in the mornings perhaps or have huge Smallville blocks in the daytime like Syfy does with their programming.

Curious, does the CW have exclusive rights to Smallville? Or would they (or any) tv network have to get DC comics approval to show reruns?

So....beyond CW, where might it go? Syfy...Oxygen (don't laugh..they got Buffy), BBC...someone else?

They mite put it on ABC Family being that they had it on there before

jedi66

[10]Jun 8, 2011
    • level: 11

It baffles me that Smallville didn't start going into syndication on SPACE - The Imagination Station (In Canada; Sci-fi is what is called in the States, I believe). They show the episodes of each currentseason once a week, but with 10 seasons to draw upon, I don't understand why they wouldn't want to syndicate it.

They used to show Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Now on Much More Music... Seriously??? What ever happened to music videos?), they have showed countless re-runs of the syndicated Star Trek series (all of them, again and again), Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (Both seriesagain and again), and yet shows like Smallville or Charmed have never appeared. In fact, I don't know if Angel ever aired in syndication with its 5 seasons.

So yes, Space (Sci-fi) would be an excellent choice. And as for the comment about someone not needing Smallville in Syndication because they already have all the DVD's, good for them, but some of us like to watch good shows on TV anyway.

shopgirl318

[13]Jun 12, 2011
    • level: 7
    Either TNT or SyFy should start showing episodes though TNT has so much own their plate with their shows and old tv shows from the WB plus other channels.

jrsgalaxy

[14]Jun 24, 2011
    • level: 14

Actually Buffy and Charmed are shown daily on the Oxygen Network . Has been for over a year. So it's anybodys guess on whatchannedl will eventually start showing it first.

iwatchtv1

[15]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 4

I think Smallville should go to Oxygen because it has a lot of female characters and a lot of younger girls could be wondering if Smallville is any good. Another place where Smallville could work with is TNT because it has a lot WB shows that are recently canceled in the early morining and could be a perfect fit there. The last place where the show should go is SciFi because it is a science fiction show and the show could have an all day Smallville marathon on the SciFi channelsometime soon.

Edited on 06/25/2011 1:29pm

mrjimmyjames

[16]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 7

Smallville will begin weekly reruns this Monday the third on TNT.

Enthropii

[17]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 23
    iwatchtv1 wrote:

I think Smallville should go to Oxygen because it has a lot of female characters and a lot of younger girls could be wondering if Smallville is any good. Another place where Smallville could work with is TNT because it has a lot WB shows that are recently canceled in the early morining and could be a perfect fit there. The last place where the show should go is SciFi because it is a science fiction show and the show could have an all day Smallville marathon on the SciFi channelsometime soon.

Actually, that makes sense. Smallville often catered to an audience that preferred drama and repetitive character stories over action or logic.

jack756

[18]Oct 8, 2011
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

im a litle late but smallvilee it comes on everday on tnt.with supernatural and charmed.

jack756

[19]Oct 8, 2011
    jack756 wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

im a litle late but smallvilee it comes on everday on tnt.with supernatural and charmed.
    sorry 4 my spelling in a rush