Smallville Forums

The CW (ended 2011)

Why does everyone hate Lana?

titan4lizife

[41]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 16
    I dislike Lana because from the second episode of the series she required saving and from then the show just developed this general thread: Lana in danger Clark must save her. Clark has put so many things aside for Lana that is sort of became hard not to dislike her, knowing that if she wasn't there Clark could become the Superman we all know and love.

PS: After Clark went back in time to "untell" Lana his secret despite Jor-El's warnings which resulted in Johnathon dying my dislike of her was cemented forever.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Haloprogram

[42]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 7

It was probably the constant whinning that ruined it for me but damn I loved Lana

danny7277

[43]Jun 5, 2011
    • level: 11

I used to like lana in the first few season's but the writers ruined her character in the later years

jedi66

[44]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 11

I always liked Lana and missed her in the finale. People didn't like her simply because Superman is supposed to end up with Lois Lane. Well, Clark still could have had ten great years with Lana. He didn't finally marry Lois until 7 years after the encounter with Apocalypse for some inexplicaple reason, so it's not like they wouldn't have had a chance to go their separate ways and have Clark and Lois hook up anyway.

The writers introduced Kara and people complained about her being too powerful, or too close to Kal-El's age, or whatever. And yet they introduced so many other heroes that everyone was fine with. People just like what they like. Those who dislike Lana will not change their mind anymore than those of us who liked her character on the show. That's life.

And I must say, I thought Erica Durance was an excellent cast choice as Lois Lane.

Haloprogram

[45]Jun 10, 2011
    jedi66 wrote:

I always liked Lana and missed her in the finale. People didn't like her simply because Superman is supposed to end up with Lois Lane. Well, Clark still could have had ten great years with Lana. He didn't finally marry Lois until 7 years after the encounter with Apocalypse for some inexplicaple reason, so it's not like they wouldn't have had a chance to go their separate ways and have Clark and Lois hook up anyway.

The writers introduced Kara and people complained about her being too powerful, or too close to Kal-El's age, or whatever. And yet they introduced so many other heroes that everyone was fine with. People just like what they like. Those who dislike Lana will not change their mind anymore than those of us who liked her character on the show. That's life.

And I must say, I thought Erica Durance was an excellent cast choice as Lois Lane.

dude I loved Lana alooot I mean she was hot, smart and had this like thing with Clark which she didn't admit and even when denied him her love she was still in love with him but over the year with her being a vessel of Isobel, being with Clark again and still not figure out his abilities (not quite anyways haha), being mrs. Luthor and then hooking up with him again only to leave him. That for me ruined her buuuut while all that was happening some episodes she played were amazing and her return in season 8 was just pure awesome she played so well you know noticing Clark and Lois and all that and then when Clark pushed through the pain to kiss her and when he collapsed she started crying I mean I wanted to cry there hahahaha so Lana was a great character only ruined by writters not by the actress

tendlya

[46]Jun 10, 2011
    • level: 1

Yeah, that Lana character was pretty annoying, always whining, always moaning. For the first few seasons, there didn't go an episode without her shedding tears, talking to her dead parents & BS. She changed some 3-4 boyfriends; the quarterback guy first, then some multiplying meteor freak, the Coach, Lex... She came after Clark only after learning abt his superpowers (who doesn't want a Superman boyfriend?), till then she detested him for keeping secrets. She didn't really deserve Clark. Not to forget how she abused her abilities when "green meteor + lightning" thingy happened. And most importantly, Jonathan Kent died coz of that skank. Clark had to sacrifice his father in place of her.

Edited on 06/10/2011 6:15am

Enthropii

[47]Jun 10, 2011
    • level: 23

jedi66 wrote:

People didn't like her simply because Superman is supposed to end up with Lois Lane. Well, Clark still could have had ten great years with Lana. He didn't finally marry Lois until 7 years after the encounter with Apocalypse for some inexplicaple reason, so it's not like they wouldn't have had a chance to go their separate ways and have Clark and Lois hook up anyway.

Actually, I think people didn't like her cause the writers couldn't write her as something other than an annoying pissant who held Clark back. As a person who knows that Clark ended up with Lois, I can dislike Lois for simply entering Clark's life a good decade before she should have. I don't think people disliked Lana just due to comparison against comic continuity but simply cause she was a one stop shop for bad writing and terrible character development.

Edited on 06/10/2011 10:13am

RaizenYusuke

[48]Jun 10, 2011
    • level: 28

titan4lizife wrote:
    PS: After Clark went back in time to "untell" Lana his secret despite Jor-El's warnings which resulted in Johnathon dying my dislike of her was cemented forever.

That was the moment may dislike for Lana was cemented as well.

jedi66 wrote:

I think that generalization does not have a lot of merit. There are a lot of reasons for people to dislike Lana. If her relationship with Clark is a reason it is most likely due to the fact that Clark and Lana were on and off again for six or seven seasons. Every break up since the one in fifth season was supposed to be final, but then the writers hit the reset button and started it all over again.

My reason for disliking Lana started in season 4. Her relationship with Jason started having problems she was quick to place the fault on Clark when he for the most part stayed out of it. Instead of trying to work out her problems with Jason on her on she denied there being any problems and thought it was Clark ruining their relationship.I didn't really have a opinion on the witch storyline. I think it endedwith a weak conclusion though. In season 5 they finally got together I was happy because it meant no more will they don't they.When Clark was powerless they were happy. When his powers returned the problems started again. Thekeeping his secret from her and pushing her away annoyed on Clark's end. Lana became such a victim after that. IDK why, but she got more annoying to me. Her character to me had no where to go at that point to me other than Lex's partner/friend in alien crap, stuff she kept from Clark if I remember correctly (its been a long time since I've seen season 5). They break up and Lana hooks up with Lex rather fast.Pa Kent dying in order to save Lana reallycemented my dislike for her.

Season 6 really made me dislike her. That's when she become Lex is different from you he tells me everything. Basically she just rubbed the fact she was with Lex in Clark's face. It did not make her appealing. She finally finds out Clark's secret and wants to be with him. She started to become a Luthor with ruthless mannerand hidden agendas. All of this her biggest defining moment this season was still love trainglewith Clark and Lex. She wasn't even really her own character anymore she was just a plot device to advance Lex to the dark side and keep Clark from fully embracing his destiny.

Season 7 she just out to kill Lex and be house wife. I understand her hatred forLex shewas the reason Clark stayed at Smallville and not under go his training.Clark even said that in this season. They tried another failed relationship which hadthe same problems with Clark not being able totrust Lana, but still staying with her. They held each other back. Lana wasassassin, house wife, crazy super powered woman, to house wife, to assassin, to Brainic victim. The writersjust seemed to struggle to keep her in the show without having her being Clark'sgirlfriend/play wife.

Season 8 had the worst Lana storyline ever IMO. Lanais kidnapped by Lex' guys escapes gets training to bethe ultimate fighter (I don'teven know because I tuned this entire episode out when I heard Lanaask to be trained or whatever)then she goes looking for Lex to what kill him. I love how Clark berates Oliver for trying to do that, but is willingto forgive Lana for doing it. They agreed things weren't right for them, but of course two episode later they are together again. Lana steals Lex's exo suit and has superpowers.Now with super powers Lana and Clark become a team andseemedto be destined together. Honestly who thought this was a good idea? Lanaabsorbs K-rock that she become toxic to Clark (Ifound thattwist amusing), but she keeps the suit and retains all the powers it gives her.I expected Lana to be loosely related to Oli's JLA in the future andmake no on-screen appearance.

Lana went from a nicenormal character that was the girl next door to a unstable super heroine who probably should not have super powers. As so many people on this forum of said before Lana had no clear character development. She was everything, that is kind of my problem with Chloe as well (that's why I was happy that she returned to normal life after she realized her own changes). I think Lana should have just been given a nice and normal send off like Pete got (I have a problem with making him this jealous and needy friend at the end of season 3). I didn't care if Clark and Lois got together when she was introduced in season 4. I wanted a season where Clark was single and had no love problems to do some soul searching. I wouldn't have minded if he dated more women in between Lana and Lois in this series. I would have even liked if they did major girlfriend of the season deal, like having Lana as the season 1-5 girl then have six Clark meets someone else and she be his girlfriend for season 6 possibly to 7 or a new girl for season 7. Their attempts to keep Lana in the show they made some drastic changes to her character that I did not agree with. The Clark and Lana relationship played a part in my dislike for her, but it is not because I am a die-hard comic fan who is Clark/Lois forever. I don't read Superman comics much.

Enthropii

[49]Jun 11, 2011

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    jedi66 wrote:
    I think that generalization does not have a lot of merit. There are a lot of reasons for people to dislike Lana. If her relationship with Clark is a reason it is most likely due to the fact that Clark and Lana were on and off again for six or seven seasons. Every break up since the one in fifth season was supposed to be final, but then the writers hit the reset button and started it all over again.

Very well said.

Edited on 06/11/2011 1:35pm

shopgirl318

[51]Jun 12, 2011
    Looking back over the series I didn't "hate" Lana at all I liked her off and on. The writers frustrated me because they had a good thing going in season 1 with her being the QB's boyfriend and an all around nice girl then the TPTB couldn't write a consistent story for her if it hit them in the face after season 3. [a similar problem I had with Chloe and after season 4. I dislike her more and more then season 8-10 was a deal breaker and I loathed her when SV wrapped. It is weird I liked Lana and rooted for for at times even in season 8, she was wrong with the super suit but she lost Clark in the process and I think she learned the hard way with power and how corrputable it is. I wanted TPTB have Lana realize that maybe she needed to breakaway fro SV and get her own life for a while without Lex, Chloe or Clark, really find herself and realize that she doesn't need power, superstrength or a dual personality to make her happy.] Lana had the potential to be awesome in her own right and I think she is at times without the romance.KKis a good actress portraying her on screen but SV tried to make the girl into everything she wasn't for example: Chloe instead of letting her be and it kind of ruined her for fans. I think the best developement was to let her go to Paris and study art but just keep her there instead of invloving her in stupid plots. I also hated SV written Chloe [season 8-9] and Lana [seasons 5-7] making mistakes with their arrogance and at times it seemed like they didn't learn anything or gotten away with it while other characters paid for every mistake and hardship. I didn't care for Clana after the early seasons. I wanted Clark to get the girl at the time but the writers drug their relationship out every other season which was unecessary. In a way it ruined Clark as well almost and Lana by showing they don't know when to let of people or relationships sometimes even when it is already over.

I like Clark/Lois, the actors have chemistry and I am not putting down Lana/Clana because of it since at one point I liked them as well and was thrilled the few scenes Lois/Lana were in showed that they helped each other and got along. Not fighting or any of that. The writers doesn't show Clois consistently sometimes either and it hurts them in terms of characterization and cheimstry
    Edited on 06/12/2011 6:10pm

foggygirl

[52]Jun 28, 2011

For the first three seasons Lana was a little too Disney Princess in her interactions with people especially with Clark but after the fourth season started and she had the older boyfriend and started channeling her inner "witch" she began to get alot more interesting. After watching all nine seasons of Smallville I found that despite all the trauma that Lex put her through Lana was actually alot more interesting as a character while she was with Lex rather than Clark. In my opinion shemight have made a much better villianess/partner for Lex in the long run rather than playing house with Clark.

Enthropii

[53]Jun 28, 2011
    foggygirl wrote:

In my opinion shemight have made a much better villianess/partner for Lex in the long run rather than playing house with Clark.

Despite my Lana hate, I could get on board with that.

jwgrlrrajn

[54]Jul 4, 2011
    Would have been better than Tess running the company in season 8. Here we have this heretofore, unknown character that Lex trusted enough to let her have run of the company? They couldn't have reached any farther to pull that one out of their butts then they already did.

Besides, Lana being the secondary antagonist in season 8 might have been interesting.

RaizenYusuke

[55]Jul 5, 2011
    • level: 28
    I am probably in the minority here, but I didn't mind Lana with Lex. I thought she embodied the Luthor name towards the end of the show like Lionel joked. I wouldn't have minded if she was put in charge of Luthor Corp and becoming an antagonist. Tess was eh, I don't know what to say. I liked her at first, but she was so wishy washy and kept flipping sides more than Lex or Lionel.

ChampionsRule

[56]Dec 29, 2011
    • level: 1

It's not like i hate her, i just am not satisfied with her character. One, while she's with Lex she is oblivious of Clark's secret but yet when Clark stops a bullet from hitting either her or Lex, she still feels like she has to thank Lex even though no bullet touched him and then when she does find out his secret, not on the day of Lexana wedding but when Clark told her his secret before she faked her death she didn't thank him for the numerous times he saved her just walked away and put her clone in the car and blew it up leaving Clark heart broken while she lived a secret life far away. Also earlier on in smallville when Clark and Lana are together when he lost his powers and could live a teenagers dream she was happy but when her got his powers back she just wanted to carry on that dream even though Clark didn't feel like he should. If i was Lana i would have put myself in his shoes and thought that he has his own reasons for making that choice. She's just a bit stuck-up! BUT SHE IS A VERY MAIN PART OF SMALLVILLE AND PLAYS IT WELL BUT JUST AS SMALLVILLE PROGRESSED HER CHARACTER GOT MORE SLOPPY.

Loralee_jk

[57]Mar 17, 2012
    • level: 37

I loved her untill she became a bitch. She was good but then she cried a LOT!
    Then was like 'ys every1 think im weak?"

then married LEX!