Smallville

Fragile

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 13, 2006 on The CW

• It's A Bird...It's A Plane...It's..Glass Man and Shatter Girl?

5.5
    Fragile-Clark befriends a little girl who has the ability to telekinetically shatter glass, then comes to her aid when it's believed she killed her mother in a brutal stabbing attack. Meanwhile Lex and Lana grow closer together and Chloe finds out about it.

Pretty much known for the directorial debut of Tom Welling and another development that I can barely stomach at the moment, "Fragile" is a "fragile" episode itself. The main plot is one we've seen already on Smallville and done a hell of a lot better (Stray and Ryan). Clark comes to the aid of a young kid who he protects and nurtures etc. they get close etc. the kid doesn't want to leave and wants to stay with Cark etc....we get it! It wasn't that I didn't care for Maddie and her father or the actors in the roles. It's just as soon as I found out they have the power to control glass is where I lost interest. Now we've seen meteor freaks with some lame abilities (that guy who can travel between frequencies in "Static" anyone?) But the power to control glass seems like one of the worst power based characters the writers have thought off. That power doesn't even seem that threatening, especially against Clark. Just put the kid in an environment with no glass...problem solved!

Tom Welling does an average job of directing, although he has one moment of greatness with the SFX scene of Maddie controlling pieces of glass to protect Clark. But even that couldn't take away from the birth of Lexana! The scenes of those two developing their romance (if you can even call it that!) made me throw up in my mouth more than a bit. I'm glad Chloe tried to light a fire up Lex's ass about getting involved with Lana. But even that couldn't stop from the disgusting ending where Lex and Lana share a kiss which seems so forced, your wondering if the Michael and Kristin were even disgusted doing it! "Fragile" falls to pieces down right to its cringe-worthy end!