Smallville

Idol

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 2009 on The CW

• What a spectacle!

Duck! Now jump! Now-quick-duck! C'mon, keep up! Coz yup, it's a Lois Lane episode.

Who'd've thought Smallville would reach the Daily Planet? But it has. And it's fantastic.

Lois (Erica Durance) is like a six year old who won't stop talking. (Clark to Lois: "You tell me the color of your underwear every day.") But she's as selfless as she is selfish; there's no hesitation-not for a picosecond-when offering to sacrfice her life to protect Clark's secret. And that's powerful. That's a huge beating heart. And it truer that most Smallville angst-fests.

Beyond the characterisation, the plotting is strung together as beautifully as a bead necklace, although every bead is a cliché. Metropolis again feels like Gotham – not that I'm complaining; nothing else on TV has that texture. And we get to see why proto-Superman "The Blur" must emerge from the shadows, without it being explained to Clark WITH THE CAPSLOCK KEY STUCK ON.

Now if Clark's new-found short-sightedness means he must permanently wear specs, then it will crown the blast of an episode. And that's because Lois Lane: she's dynamite.