Smallville

Jitters

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 11, 2001 on The CW

• Meanwhile,after a crap episode...

This is a pretty awesome episode IMO. This episode still has a FOTW in it, but it also has a hostage situation with the mysterous level 3 that plays a pivitol part in season 6. This is one of the episodes where you think back on Smallvile and say "I miss those times".

Clark- Throwing the party was awesome! It showed how much he really used to have fun back in high school. At the beginning where hes listening to music while eating cold pizza is one of my favorite Clark moments. But when it turns serious, I love how Clark knows hes the only one that can save all of his friends lives. He was just so awesome in this episode. Very Superman-like.

Lex- At the beginning when he shows up at Clarks house party, it was awesome, just because you really saw their friendship shine. But then when his plant gets taken over, and his father comes, you see his confidence go down. It was very un-Lex Luther like when he put his life in danger for a couple of high school kids...but man was it awesome.

Earl Jenkins- Very cool FOTW, as for the first time you dont see a psyco. Well, not really. I mean you just see a poor man who just wants to get better and see his child again. I really like Earl and while his condition was pretty stupid, I think he was a great addition to the show.

So ya, this episode was great. Not only was it suspensful, there was no side-plots, as everybody was toghther. The first 15 minutes, its hilarous and funny while the last 45 was serious and edge-of-your-seat stuff. So I highly advise watching this episode.
  • An old farmhand of the Kent's has been infected by Kryptonite in the mysterious "Level 3" at LuthorCorp, leaving him with uncontrollable, violent shakes. After he accidentally kills a man, he becomes determined to uncover the secrets of the plant. Ace...

This review contains spoilers.

I thought "Jitters" was an excellent episode, possibly 'Smallville's best story thus far. But it seems to be one of those stories that people either love or hate, as some seem to have rated it very low. I'm kinda surprised at this, as I felt this episode to be far superior to a few of the previous episodes.

It is a very enthralling tale about Earl Jenkins, an old farmhand-come-friend of the Kent family, who has been infected by some kind of Kryptonite toxin while working at the Luthor plant – in a department that Lionel Luthor denies even exists. I found this to be a very interesting "opponent of the week", and a welcome twist on a series that could so easily fall into the standard "troubled infected teenager of the week" template (and has even verged on doing so in a couple of previous episodes).

Earl is brought to life by wonderful actor Tony Todd. Although never quite making it to the "front line" of actors (as maybe he deserved to have done), Todd has shone in many TV guest roles and b-movies, and I enjoy anything he appears in. Earl could so easily have come off as an unbelievable, two-dimensional character, but Todd really made him believable for me; he is a victim, a tragic figure but not a deliberate bad guy, and I really willed him on to find the mysterious "Level 3".

Things start off with Jonathan and Martha going out of town, to a trip to Metropolis, which gives Clark the opportunity to have a "small" party which quickly gets out of hand. These are the obligatory "good looking teen drama" elements of the episode, complete with lovelorn Lana and Whitney scene, but thankfully, these elements are soon out of the way as the (no pun intended) badly shaken Earl is discovered in the barn. (It did lead to one fun scene though, as Clark zips around at super-speed to try and find something for a worse-for-wear partygoer to throw up into!).

The whole party element at the beginning does in a way feel slightly "tacked on" to the main story; I think maybe it was to try and emphasise the difference between the Kents and the Luthors – the Kents are understandably cross but quickly forgive Clark, whereas the relationship between Lex and father Lionel is much more distant and strained as Lex tries to defuse the hostage situation with Earl, only to find that his father has been lying to him and Level 3 did indeed exist. I suppose with this in mind, it would give more explanation and basis to the party scenes, though if it is the case I feel this point could have been made clearer; This is my only minor quibble with the episode though.

The story, especially with Earl's violent junkie-like shakes, feels to have a much darker edge to it than usual. The hostage situation at LuthorCorp, which could have been slightly two-dimensional, is executed well, and the climax, with Clark saving Earl and Lex hanging off of the collapsed bridging over the now empty Level 3, is very exciting.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed this episode. Personally I think it is strong enough to rank a perfect 10/10.

(By the way, I've said this before but will repeat myself, some people seem to misunderstand – "review" is to give your own thoughts about the episode, not to just give a plot rundown, which already exists on the page lol)
  • EARTHQUAKE!!!

i didnt think this one was all that interesting at all, that guy came out of nowhere and we were somehow suposed to sympathise with him with his predicament. well i didnt sure it was sad for him but he was acting crazy and he was well justified to act that way but i didnt feel anything for his character. saw lex's dad found out what we already knew, he is a jerk. i like that lex risked his life, didnt think he ever would. ok so noone questioned how the wall got distroyed going to level 3? and i hated the fact that clark who can barly stand up when kryptonite is near him could hold on to that guy, not even hold on pull up! what is up with that? i guess his adrenalin could have had something to do with it like he said but if that is the case then all those other times he much have had no adrenalin at all. the party was funny. "once you get past the first few dishes you get used to it" funny stuff. i almost had a heart attack when he quickly cleaned his house and people started to clap. at first i thought it was clarks friends, so glad it was his parents.
  • Tony Todd "Shakes" Things Up!

Jitters-An experiment at the Luthor fertilizer plant makes an old friend of the Kents literally shake and jitter, and he seeks vengeance against the Luthors, who hide the secret of his transformation behind "Level Three" at the local plant.

Smallville has been on a very brisk pace so far it's first season, with only a few moments of excellence along the way. Well, "Jitters" is Smallville's strongest episode so far and ironically, doesn't seem to have any first season "jitters" anymore. Earl Jenkins could have come off as just another freak of the week waiting to be defeated by Clark, but the writers write the character very well and the fact that his played by the brilliant Tony Todd was a perfect touch. Tony Todd is one of the most underrated actors in the last 10 years. His role as the Candyman and his guest staring roles in TV and movies throughout those 10 years have shown his incredible acting talents. Todd automatically brings such a strong presence to Smallville and he steals the show throughout, even from the great John Glover who returns in this episode as Lionel Luther. You feel genuine sympathy for Earl and his uncontrollable kryptonite induced seizers look very disturbing.

The hostage situation is a highlight of the episode and it brings some tense moments. I loved how Clark played hero as both he and Lex become trapped inside the Luthcorp facility. The concept of Level 3 and its cover-up is played out very well and Lionel Luthor already seems cruel in retrospect. But the most powerful moment of the episode is the end where Clark is consoled by his parents while Lionel hugs Lex, just to show off to the press. It's one of Smallville's saddest moments as you can see the undying jealousy even yearning Lex has toward Clark. While Clark is adopted, his parents love him like their own while Lex's biological father will never love him like he wants. A solid moment that will drive Lex toward his ultimate destiny. All and All, "Jitters" is a superbly developed episode with wonderful acting, tense scenes, strong development and a terrific guest spot from Tony Todd.
  • Another consequence of a meteor

Former employee of LutherCorp wants to know why he got sick after a weird explosion in the factory where he used to work. Now everyone tries to convince him that Level Three does not exist. And all Earl wants to do is find out what's the cause of his 'shaking' desease. Clark is there in the right place on the right time to save the day. He shows Earl Level Three. But Earl starts to shake uncontrollably and almost manages to kill himself, Lex and Kent. But Kent with his superpowers saves them. Again...

Lex is suspicious how come Kent was able to pull them up. How can't he figure everything up? I mean, he saw what the crystal does to people. That weird things happen in Smallville. Didn't he realize Kent had super powers too?

And one thing is bugging me since the beginning. So some people get in touch with parts of the meteor. They gain certain powers. And those powers are revealed eventually. The 'fat' girl, 'frozen' guy, ever-changing girl, Earl, 'wanna-be-young' old man-- how do people explain their behaviour? I mean, I'd be definetely suspicious. Why no one sees that weird things are happening? really weird!
  • A superb episode of Smallville that reveals more about the Luthor business. (Spoilers)

This episode of Smallville was superb, and revealing, shedding more light on the Luthor family business. It was interesting to see Lex and his father interact, and to find out that Lex's father Lionel, truly doesn't care about him. It was a sad moment at the end of the episode when Lex had to watch Clark and his family cherish the moment they were having, while Lex's dad pretended to care about him due to the press being nearby. Hopefully Clark's family begins to welcome Lex into their family a little bit, so that he won't feel so left out and alone. Overall, I give this episode, Jitters, a 9 out of 10.
  • One of my all-time favorites

I'm not really sure what makes this episode so good i think that part of it is how the relationship between Whitney and Clark made them become friends, even if it doesn't last forever. another thing that i liked was that Clark stared to show his heroic side and risk himself to save others. i think that the best scene was when Lex and Earl were hanging over the railing of the collapsed walkway and even though Clark knew that when he came close to earl he would become weak and in pain due to the meteor rock in his body he still came to the rescue and saved them. at the end the scene that showed Clark's family and Lex's dad proved that all Lex wants is to have a family and to be loved. One of the best Episodes of the entire show!!!!!!!
  • Not what it should be. An episode that would turn you away from Smallville if you hadn't seen any of the others.

2.9
    This episode was so boring that it was almost painful to watch. This is coming from a major fan of Smallville. One thing about this episode is that the villain, was just not villain enough. This was done on purpose, but did not make for a good story.

The whole story behind the freak of the week being a good friend to the Kents was neat, yet unbelievable. What are the chances that him out of all people would wind up with powers (If you could even call it that) and need Clark's help? Also, it would have been a neat idea to make him know about Clark's powers already. It would have strengthened the bond and made them more believable as friends.

Another thing that bugged me about this episode were the amazing seizures that killed anyone the guy touched. I can't even remember the guys name. Edgar or something. Shows how much this episode fails to keep your eyes and ears focused. The idea of him killing anyone he touched made me sick. I can't believe the writers thought we'd believe it.

All that said, there were a few key parts in this episode that made it work to an extent as the other reveiwers mentioned. The whole hostage situation was very fun. I also enjoyed Lex being the hero for a change. Well at least, trying to be the hero, anyway.
  • I love Smallville more each week.

this is what makes smallville so good. another freak that needs to be dealt with each week. a pretty cool kryptonite freak appears in this show. this time clark is placed in a situation again where lex almost sees him using his power. the kryptonite is indeed a wonderful plot device, I can't wait to see a new episode each week. this show is really cool. the writers did it again. seeing lex in a state where his not evil is really refreshing. this show gets at every opportunity to explore that side of him, something we really never got a chance to see in other superman adaptations.
  • Shake It Up

Jitters succeeds in that it's probably the first Smallville episode which makes you feel actual sympathy for the freak-of-the-week. Whilst previous said freaks have usually been mutant nutjobs with mother issues, Earl Jenkins is actually somebody we can root for, and it was a good creative decision on the writer's part. It's also helped by the fact that Tony Todd is a legend in the genre world, and manages to outshine almost the entire cast in just one guest spot.

I also loved how the production team got so much from what could have been a hokey hostage story. We felt concern for those taken hostage, including Chloe's dad, and you really wanted to see Earl's proclamations of Level 3 existing be true, even though, deep down, you knew Lionel would have cleared out any incriminating evidence months ago.

This episode also powerfully cemented a key element in Lex's future hatred for Clark. Whilst Lex is the bitter son of an uncaring millionaire businessman, Clark is loved by Jonathan and Martha, who aren't even his biological parents. The final scenes were really moving, as we saw the radical difference between the Luthors and the Kents.

A radical upturn from the slightly unsurprising episodes so far, Jitters aims higher than the average Smallville episode at this point, and it completely succeeds.

Director: Michael Watkins
    Writers: Cherie Bennett, Jeff Gottesfeld
    Rating: A-
  • A good episode

This episode was pretty enjoyable, though it has another freak of the week it still has the Smallville action and msytery story that I like. In this episode, one fellow friend of the Kents gets infected by meteor rock that causes him to have a lot of jitters.

Now, Clark in this episode could have been a little better. He try to help Earl, of course, but he did not do all what he could, of course, is not easy when your friend is infected with kryptonite and your affected by it. Well, this episode is one of my favorite of Smallville, mainly because it is one of the saddest ones, and one of the first ones that almost make me cry. This episode, is one of the best emotional episode of Season 1!
  • Brill episode

I quite liked this episode. An old friend/worker of the Kents, Earl, is infected by kryptonite after taking a job on level 3 at Luthorcorp and is seriously ill with jitters/fits. As Luthorcorp claims level 3 does not exhist, Earl takes Clark and his class hostage at Luthorcorp. I especially liked the way they had Lex try to be the hero, as opposed to the villian we know he is destined to become. I also liked the obvious comparison between the Luthor family relationship and the Kents, especially the totally different reactions between Lionel and Mr and Mrs Kent when their sons come out safe. Very good episode in my opinion.
  • Quite enjoyable but a few scenes I feel could have been changed.

For a change, the opening doesn't involve the creation of our monster, but rather just shows the powers he has, which is a welcome change, we later find out he was in an explosion and krptonite got under his skin, or so he claims. Earl is desperate and sick, dying from seizures as his body tries to push out the kryptonite.

I rather enjoyed this premise because he wasn't a super strong freak as usual, and also had a background with the Kent's however I really would have liked to see him in an earlier episode to work up to this or at least a scene flashback in this episode...like Clark destroying the guitar strings by accident.

Clark also demonstrates supernatural hearing in the beginning of this episode, another power of his, and also explains how he can eavesdrop on Earl and Jonathan in the hospital room.

The Kent's head out to Metropolis for there anniversery and leave Clark to his own devices, in which he decides to have a "small" gathering. Small being the operative word there. Also Lana shows up at the party "flying solo" a line Sean used to ask about Chloe a few episodes ago. And when Whitney shows up there is a dispute between Lana and Whitney, but after making him look like the bad boyfriend he does make a rescue attempt even when Clark refuses to help since getting to close to Earl causes Clark to be sick.

It was a great episode but I feel it just could have been slightly better.
  • a good ep

in this ep of smallville and old friend of the kents who once worked at the farm went to work at luthor corp and shows up years later all jittery and shaky and is having huge segers. due to the the kemicles they had in luthor corp. he acidently kills a employe at luthor corp and hides in the farm of the kens and they find him and he tells them about levle 3 and says thats were they did it.and says it was due to a explsion they had there but onthe charts there was none. and he over hears clarks saying htere is a feild trip and he keeps all the kid hostage until they let him see level 3. linel luther shows up and talks to him but he wont listen so lex goes in the building and clark stays behide he stops the leaking of the gas and shows there really was a level 3 but it had been emptied out.
  • A former employee of LuthorCorp and Kent family friend is beset with intense shaking he calls "jitters," which he believes is caused by bizarre experiments in the company's Level 3, and takes students hostage at the plant.

"Jitters" is another in a series of storylines about someone sickened by experiments at the Luthorcorp plant in Smallville, a plant managed by Lex. The former employee, played convincingly by Tony Todd, starts shaking uncontrollably and is frantic to get into Luthorcorp and find the answer to his condition. Clark and classmates are on a plant tour, and are taken hostage by Todd's character, Earl Jenkins, while Clark searches for the hidden Level 3 at the plant which Earl insists is the site of his work and source of the "jitters" condition. Lionel Luthor arrives with his security force to rescue the hostages, apparently renewing an old acquaintance with the Kent family. Lex first denies that Level 3 exists, but Clark intervenes after finding the access to Level 3, and a battle between Earl, Clark, and Lex ensues, with some excellent special-effects footage of collapsing catwalks and a revealing rescue of the other two by Clark. This episode moves along well, and we see signs of the tense relationship between Lionel and Lex, who looks with envy at Clark's reunion with his parents after the hostage rescue. Some insightful scenes give a re-run rating of C+, and for car buffs, this episode features Lex in a black Ferrari and the Kent family in a GMC pickup.
  • Shake it baby

Clark's parents are out of town, in Metropolis for a weekend, and he wants to have a small 'congregation' with few people. But, in the end of the day there are loads of people in his house, partying and breaking things. Lex, also provides him with some fireworks in order to built reputation. Martha calls but noone or someone else than Clark answers and she gets worried so they come back the next day. Meanwhile, Clark finds Earl in the barn, Kent's farm old worker, and he's literally shaking destroying everything near him. When Clark gets near him he feels the same way as when he gets near meteor rocks. Earl tells him that when he left the farm he got a job as a cleaner in the Luthorcorp plant where there was an explosion of a green thing and that got under his skin making him shake uncontrollably. Jonathan takes him to the hospital but they can't find a cure unless he tells them what got under his skin. He doesn't know but he decides to go the Luthorcorp plant and find what that is. He gets from 'the back door' and he searches for the elvator which leads to Level 3. When he sees that there is a wall built there he gets mad and takes hostages the high school students who were there as visitors. Clark X-Rays the wall and sees that there is an elevator there, so he breaks the wall and tells Earl to let the hostages go and that he should come to the elevator. He takes Lex with him who seems genuinely surprised to see a Level 3 and they go down to it. There they don't find anything since all the plantations had been removed and Earl starts shaking on a bridge. He unscrews the bolts when he shakes and all three of them are hanging from a piece of metal. Although touching Earl makes him sick, Clark pulls the other two up and saves their lives, leaving Lex, again, amazed.
  • Great Episode

LuthorCorp is experimenting with meteor rocks, and overexposure has caused Earl Jenkins to develop violent seizures. Smallville High sends a group of students to the local LuthorCorp plant on a field trip, and Earl takes them hostage in an effort to get into "Level 3", which Lionel Luthor claims does not exist. Clark tries to help Earl, but the meteor rock radiation of his skin is deadly to him. Clark discovers "Level 3", as Lex trades himself for the hostages. Clark reveals "Level 3" to Earl and Lex, when Earl begins having an attack, endangering all three. Clark manages to keep them all alive, and Lex makes a public statement that LuthorCorp will find a cure for Earl's condition.
  • A friend of the family asks for the Kent's help discovering why he can't stop shaking

7.8
    This episode is a little better than the previous episode, especially since Tony Todd guest stars. This does have some suspense as Todd holds the kids on a field trip hostage. He insist that he was infected on "Level 3" and demands that he be taken back there to find what the green stuff was that made him sick. This episode also deals with family, kind of hinting at the end of the episode that Lex is jealous that his dad doesn't love him as much as Clark's parents love Clark. So, with Lex having everything, he doesn't really have a caring dad
  • Great episode! Clever!

I loved this episode. It had tonsa action (which I love) and incorporated the kryptonite, an element of the series that I really find helps any episode. It was great. I liked the plot outline, which was original for the series and it wasn't as pathetic of an episode as other feeble attempts at thriller episodes have been. Overall, it had wit, charm, and a powerful message. However, there were sone problems. I got a little tired of Lex's ramblings, his whole part at the middle and end went on for way too long. I also didn't like the character the was holding everyone hostage and who had the jitters. The actor gave a weak preformance and I just didn't think that was such a powerful reaction the the meteor rocks that was to be expected in that thriller episode. Something more rash and spectacular would have been better. The visual effects for the jitters were also horrible.
  • Good episode...

Above average episode. Really good. Liked the scenes when Earl was shaking and sent the guys flying. Was good. A bit of character developement in this episode which is a very good thing because we get to see a bit more of the characters\' personalities. Really good. I liked this one a lot. For once, a meteor freak hates the Luthors. Again good episode. Good dialogue which is one of the key components to a good and successful episode. I never thought of a meteor freak having a disease that makes him shake like crazy. This episode was also a bit original. Good work guys! Good work!
  • the most action so far this season

This may be "exactly why I watch this series", and an "above average" episode. It definitely includes plenty of "character development". It's also a very "adventrous" episode, "clevery plotted", a "series classic", and of course, "exciting". It was extremely "well-written", and is a very "fine example" of Smallville. One-of-the-absolute-best- of-season-one!
    Here's a brief summary:
    Clark's parents are out of town for one day, and Clark ends up with 100 people trashing his house. Lex brings fireworks and makes sure the police aren't a problem, and Lana shows up without Whitney, only making Whitney more paranoid (but with relatively good reason, in my opinion) when he does show! Whitney, Lana, and Clark find Earl in the barn, and he has kryptonite under his skin. He doesn't know it, though. Basically, when Earl was a janitor at the Smallville Luthorcorp plant he was caught up in an explosion on "Level 3". Lionel Luthor pretends that "Level 3" never existed, (most likely because of the dangerous experiments being conducted with green-stuff on a cornfield), and Earl is deemed a lunatic with this "Level 3" in his imagination. A group of kids (teenagers) including Clark, Whitney, Lana, Chloe, and Pete are on a field trip to Luthorcorp, and Earl ends up holding them hostage along with Chloe's father, Gabe. Lionel is willing to sacrifice Lex to protect his reputation/company, and this is the first real time in the series this reccurring motif is shown. Martha still isn't sure of how much Clark can withstand, Clark is still looking out for Whitney while fighting against him for Lana, and Clark is truly a hero (with much effort)in this episode, for multiple reasons.
    ~
    Now I will tell you what I thought of certain parts of this episode (not in any specific type of order):
    *Clark seems to care so much about Earl, this man who was an old family friend (more of Jonathan's friend than Clarks), and Jonathan refuses to help Earl if he's a murderer, but Clark trusts him. I find this a very honorable (and thus hero-like) quality in someone, even if it could be linked with credulity (a disposition to believe too readily).

*Clark is willing to risk his life and his secret for both Earl and Lex!

*Lex wonders how Clark managed to save him, which adds to the saga of Lex discovering Clark's secret and eventually becoming Clark's worst enemy. I really enjoyed this irony, and Clark's unwavering trust that Lex won't discover who he is, but I am wondering how Clark, weakened to a point worse than a human, could save Lex and Earl.

*I absolutely LOVED Lex's obvious display of jealousy as he looks at Clarks parents hugging Clark.

*Lex chiming in about "family coming first here at Luthorcorp" was very meaningful.

*I was also pleasantly surprised by Lex's wilingness to be a hero.

*I thought Chloe complaining about her dad so much but then showing the natural genuine concern when he was at gunpoint was quite cute, just as it was supposed to be.

*Pete is still extremely naive about Clark's "secret", and it makes me laugh. How can Clark be so sure that Pete won't suspect anything, and how come Pete doesn't until Clark tells him in a later episode?

*Last, but not least, I must say that I loved the "scenes". that is, I really enjoy seeing scenes shown in the opening credits and future episodes during the episode. Places I yelled out "scene" to: Lana and Clark looking out the window with a firework overhead, Whitney with a pitchfork, Lex falling from the metal bridge in level three and showing his extreme fear, and Clark and his parents' hug.

~~
    All in all, one of the best episodes! Ever! Especially for season one!

• Jitters...

This episode was somehow cool, it was not boring but it was not what I expected from Smallville, but it was still really cool everything in the episode, that Earl was an old friend of the Kents, and also that during a school trip Earl assaults Luthor Corp. in order to get to Level 3, that is causing his horrible and uncontrolable jitters, so he takes Lex and Clark with him, and later Clark is able to save both of the guys up when they get in danger. Great episode...
  • This may be "exactly why I watch this series", and an "above average" episode. It definitely includes plenty of "character development". It's also a very "adventrous" episode, "clevery plotted", a "series classic", and of course, "exciting". It was extrem

This may be "exactly why I watch this series", and an "above average" episode. It definitely includes plenty of "character development". It's also a very "adventrous" episode, "clevery plotted", a "series classic", and of course, "exciting". It was extremely "well-written", and is a very "fine example" of Smallville. One-of-the-absolute-best-of-season-one!
    Here's a brief summary:
    ~

*Clark is willing to risk his life and his secret for both Earl and Lex!

*I was also pleasantly surprised by Lex's wilingness to be a hero.

~~
    All in all, one of the best episodes! Ever! Especially for season one!