Smallville

Lexmas

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 08, 2005 on The CW

• Lex gets shot and goes into a coma, dreaming that he's married to Lana and everything in life is good (except Lionel hates him). Meanwhile, Clark and Chloe work on delivering gifts for Toys for Tots or something and Santa visits (dumb).

Well this episode is definitely cheesy, but it was also actually mostly relevant. The subplot of Clark and Chloe and retarded/drunk not-Santa Claus was really stupid and pointless though. The Lex plot was too good to let the crap side-plot ruin the episode, which is why it got such a high score from me.

Lex's little getting shot incident in the alley proved to be the turning point of his life, which made the episode worthy. Going into his dream, he was confused, then happy, then realized he felt that he belonged in this alternate life and loved every minute of it. I personally loved the decorations and the Christmas-y atmosphere, it set a pleasant mood, while still bringing about sadness when reflecting on the current state of Lex's life compared to this utopia-like dream. This harsh comparison came into play when Lana died and Lex realized that if he is to ever be happy, the love of his life will have to die. He's not willing to make that sacrifice, so he therefore decides to ruin Jonathon Kent's chances at becoming senator and confirm his life of villany. So, although it was hokey, Lex's dream sequence provided back-up for Lex's decision and made him seem quite rational for doing what he did. Excellent.

But then we move on to the stupid Clark/Chloe/Retard Santa side plot. The idea was alright, and it was nice that Clark saved not-Santa from falling off that building, but when he came to visit Chloe and made those gifts disappear, that was just going too far. THAT was the whole point of that sub-plot??? To make us believe there's a Smallville-world Santa? Lame. "Buh-duh, maybe there really IS a Santa!" says Chloe. Gah how horrible. That plot should have stopped when Clark caught Santa at the bottom of that building.

Side note, I wonder why no one classified this episode as Dream Sequence, as that's what half the episode was and what the main plot revolved around.
  • This is one of those episodes that you knew going in was going to be just plain awful.

Smallville, in the midst of a creative resurgance this season, decides to do away with that progress and instead rip-off Charles Dickens and "It's a Wonderful Life" in the show's first ever "very special" episode, all too often a sign the writers are running out of ideas. The result is 'filler episode' packed with all the treacly, sentimental, emotional manipulation that really has little place in the show, while not advancing any story arcs.
    In the midst of determining whether to commit yet another of his increasingly common misdeeds, Lex is shot, and in a coma sees what his life could be like if he could only be good. Flashes of his, and others', happiness in an impossibly joyful Christmas in the near future let Lex see all that he really wants out of life. But it also lets him see that just like the happiness that eludes him, he would also be vulnerable to the greatest despairs in life. Sadly, that moment makes his ultimate decision, and the only real twist on this common TV formula, all too predictable to the audience.
    Meanwhile, we get treated to a sub-plot of seeing Clark play Santa for Chloe, who needs help with her charity work to get toys to the needy. Of course, no satisfactory explanation is given for Clark's newly-found lockpicking skills, as he enters homes to deliver toys with apparent ease in crime-ridden Metropolis. Glossed over is also the fact that none of the homes he visits seems to be inhabited by paupers.
    In the end, Lex ends up right where we all knew he would, and Clark still gets to gave his happy Christmas at home. Hopefully the next episode gets back to the story, because this episode was a lump of coal in our stockings.
  • Great episode. I was a little scepticle at first but the writers didnt let me down. Here my usual breakup

Lex and Alexander: At first, I saw no intrest in Lex toward his son. But it all changed after meeting Clark. I wonder why that is. I would have loved to see more interaction bewteen Father and son. And see how different or similar his methods are compared to his own father.

Lex: Perfect acting on all fronts. His interaction with his alternate life characters showed that he finally recieved everything he wanted to and its the first time you saw him genuinly happy. I for one loved his interaction with Jonathan Kent. His turn to evil was a tragic one, and one that was welcomed. It was his father who finally pushed him to the edge. Unkowingly.

Smallville: Episode 3? Yes, this defintitly had George Lucas rolling around. But, I ould see no better way to transform him towards darkness. His motivation to fallow his Fathers way was understandable. "Money and power, once you have those things, you can aquire anything. And have the ability to keep it" This resonated Lex Luthor in the comics 100%.

NOTES:

- I loved the Clana moments. They were long over due.

- Many people complain as to why Lex didnt ask Jonathan Kent for help. I dont think state senators have that kind of money. But still, Im sure they might have worked something out. Or even Clark, knowing how Clark constantly has the habit of saving someone at the last minute.

- Complaints on Santa Claus have filled the boards, but I kind of liked the Santa/Clark relationship. Clark inspiring World leaders and iconic figure will become something common in Superman. I liked how they touched it here. He inspired Hope. Something that Superman has done world wide.

- Lilly Luthor, was named after Lex's own mother I believe.

- The surgical precedure was an exact duplicate of the season 1 finale. Only that Lex wasnt as happy as Lionel was. And he definitly stated it so.
  • Lex is mugged, shot, and undergoing surgery as he is swept up in a fantasy about what his life could become, as shown to him by the spirit of his deceased mother Lillian.

7.8
    On a rainy Christmas Eve in Granville, Lex drives his new Ferrari F430 to a darkened building, where a hired guy, Griff, meets him in the utility tunnel. He's trying some political dirty tricks to help him defeat Jonathan Kent in the state senate election, but he's not quite ready to have something manufactured. Back outside, three punks mug Lex and put two shots into him. Thus starts a dreamlike fantasy, or near-death experience. He seems to awake in another home, next to Lana and a young boy named Alex. Lana has another one in the oven, too, although Lex is conscious of still being himself and having been shot, with the scars to show for it. Where is he? It all seems real enough, until the figure of his mother Lillian appears. How can she be there? But she says he is still alive, and this is his new life, and all of it "can be yours if you make the right choices."

Suddenly back on the street, we see that Lex is still actually on the pavement, wounded, with that Ferrari already in a chop shop somewhere, or more likely, on a joy ride at illegal speeds.

At the Kent farm, Christmas evening cookies are cooking, and everyone seems to be having a holiday of their dreams, all completely secular, of course. A phone call from Chloe brings this scene to a halt, as she asks for Clark's help immediately. Chloe needs help delivering Toys for Tots, and Clark gets in a product placement mention of FedEx and Toys R Us, but he's going to have to do the delivering, a whole roomful, tonight! Fun scene - Clark uses superspeed through the streets of Metropolis, and most of the packages are delivered on time by Santa's superhelper. Of course, he has to take time out to chat with an inebriated Santa Claus atop a building, ready to jump, lamenting the state of the world. As he comes around with Clark's help and kind words, he takes a header off the building, so Clark simply runs down the vertical face of the building and catches the old guy.

At the hospital, Lex is being wheeled in, but in his fantasy, he's back at home with Lana, playing the part of responsible husband and father. It's seven years downstream from the present, and Lex isn't even filthy rich, having to make do with a Jeep Wagoneer as the family bus. It's an idyllic life, with Christmas tree shopping, and everything going well with Clark, Chloe, and other friends. Clark is a reporter at the Daily Planet, and Chloe has had a book published. So are those two an item?

Lionel comes to see Lex in ICU, still unaware of the nature of his wounds, but doctors expect Lex to be permanently paralyzed waist-down. Lionel calls for immediate surgery to forestall this prognosis. Lionel has a neurosurgeon in Metropolis take on the case of Lex, who now continues his dream of a better life. Interesting transformation by Mr. Rosenbaum, playing a happy and loving Lex. Lana says getting shot was the best thing that ever happened to him. At the Kents' Christmas party, Jonathan even reveals to Lex that he's up for a Kansas humanitarian award. Lillian again appears and tells Lex he could have this life - if he follows his heart, and not his ambition.

Real surgery is still underway on Lex - and as he's in a crisis, so is his dream. Lana gives birth to their second child, and that is a pretty young infant they're handling. Lana soon enters her own crisis, losing much blood. Lex seeks the aid of Lionel, a distant and unsympathetic figure. But the fantasy Lionel is out for revenge, denying his son, who turned his back on Lionel seven years earlier. Lex gave up the power to save his own wife, Lionel says. This is the real challenge Lex faces in his life. Lana lies dying in the hospital, and Lex is powerless to save her. Lillian explains that the life he has is a life of love, but to Lex, everyone important to him has died...then he awakens after surgery, remembering the entire fantasy.

At the DP, Chloe is still surrounded by piles of gifts as she clicks away on her product-placement Dell PC. The Santa, whom Clark saved, appears, offering to help deliver the remaining gifts, and Chloe gratefully accepts. So for another little Christmas fantasy, all the gifts, and Santa (himself) disappear.

Lex is skeptical of LIonel's motivation in calling for the risky surgery - too bad these two usually see the worst in each other. But dang if Lionel isn't starting to look pretty straight in these last few episodes.

The Kent home looks great with all the lights and warmth, in contrast once again to the cold life Lex has chosen. It's even going to be a white Christmas.

Griff is back to see Lex, who now has learned once again that his road to living happily ever after is...Power...and Money. And he's going to have Griff do whatever is necessary to knock Jonathan out of the senate race. So once again, Lex has chosen his path, turning away from what could have been. Since this episode has a seasonal theme, and no real change is coming to Lex, it isn't high on the priority list to see again for progress on the Smallville legend, but Mr. Rosenbaum's acting continues to be top-notch. Re-run rating C+.
  • A Luthor's Christmas Carol

Lexmas-Lex considers whether to turn an operative loose to obtain or fake damaging information against Jonathan to upset his Senatorial race. But when Lex is shot, he falls into a coma and is visited by the ghost of his mother, who shows him what his life could be like if he frees himself from his father. Meanwhile, Clark helps deliver Christmas presents.

For Smallville's first holiday episode (let's just forget "Thirst" didn't exist), "Lexmas" is better because is centers around Lex as it gives some great insight on why he becomes the villain he will be one day and why he should become that man! The episode begins with Lex trying to get dirt on Jonathan for the Senate race when threaten by two gang members and shot. From there the episode plays like Smallville's own version of a Christmas Carol where Lex wakes up in a alternate reality where both he and a pregnant Lana are married with a son. Michael Rosenbaum handles this storyline beautifully with his performance as Lex is in awe of his near perfect life. Lex and Clark seem to be closer than ever with Chloe as Clark's girlfriend (ironically!), Jonathan Kent is Senator and even sees Lex as his own son. Allsen Down returns as Lex's mother, Lillian Luthor. She gives a solid performance as Lex's guide throughout the episode and you honestly believe she just wants the best for her son who is on a path he might not return from. John Glover is wonderful as Lionel as usual as he makes a harsh decision with Lex's life. Two powerful scenes are between Lionel and Lex during Lex's alternate reality where Lionel turns his back on Lex in his hour of need and when Lana dies after giving birth to the baby. These two moments are essential the reason why Lex makes the dark decision at the end to chose a life of money and power. Michael handles these scenes so well especially at the end where he discusses that he will continue to run for Senator despite his father's wishes. With such a well developed Christmas themed/Lex storyline, the B plot with Clark and a drunken Santa just seems so out of place. Yeah, it Christmas and this was done to balance from Lex's dark storyline, but it feels too cheesy and hurts the episode in the process, not to mention, Lifetime channel worthy! Also, the twist with Santa being real at the end was laughable and you can't believe the writers would even think that would be interesting. "Lexmas" is a fun holiday episode only to watch for Lex's continuing journey toward being villain, all the other scenes involving Clark and Old Saint Nick...not so much!
  • Lost Christmas

Christmas episodes are always a hit or miss affair, but this one is one of those hits and it didn't disapoint me. What I really liked about this episode was it was Lex at his most soulful. This episode sort of reminds me of that film "The Family Man" only better.

The subplot with Clark and Santa was ok nothing really spectacular even though I thought it was a bit cheesy but not overly sentimental and forced I could never stand that in bad Christmas episodes. And the moments with the Kents, Lana, and Chloe more than made up for the cheese.

But anyway down to what's really important the alternate world itself. I really liked the way they handled it, it felt believable as if it really could happen if Lex went the other way. I really liked Lex's reactions it's the I can't believe this is happening to me look; I don't blame him it's kinda strange and funny seeing Lex live in middle class settings let alone something I didn't think would happen in a million years being married to Lana and having children. On second though I take that back, same could be said for the begining of the "Crisis on Infinate Earths" comic miniseries which I saw Lois and Lex married and have a son.

I really liked the interaction between Lana and Lex which was sweet, I really felt they could be a working healthy couple. And a few of the other discoveries on other characters worked Clark and Chloe (she looks great with long hair)both highly sucessful and still friends (may'be more than that but it's not explored) most importantly seem to be best friends with Lex. Same with Martha and Johnathan whom are all sort of a surragate family he never really had. Linel has suffered the fate of Mr. Potter when he disowned Lex from the right decsion he's made he's still wealthy but alone, old, miserable, and might have became an alchololic. What was most heartwarming and a little sad at the same time was discovering he never really celebrated Christmas after his mom died and the time he was spending in the alternate world is the only time he ever had. Even though what happened in the alternate world in the end was tragic, that was life those things happen but it didn't mean good memories had to end; but the real tragidy was Lex just had trouble seeing it that way, that was always part of his Achllies Heel non acceptance of what you can't control which was always what made him villianess his need to control/conquiuer everything in life. This trait may give him power but it also poisoned his own soul and destroyed his personal life, whether he wants to admit it or not.

I would of loved to of given this episode a little more credit but there was something missing from the episode that held it back a bit from me and that was a considerable lack of depth from the alternate world. It wasn't really explored enough like for example I would of loved to of known a little more on how both Lex and Lana got together, from this I can't help but feel a little more could of been done.

But oh well, finally I really liked the ending it was one that really made me feel deeply sad, in the end and it's probably no supprise Lex makes the wrong choice and Lex as we see in the end once again celebrates another lost Christmas. The last part put a tear or two in my eyes when Lex looks out the window and we see his mother stare back at him with a sad and disapointed look on her face knowing a future of happyness for her son is forever lost.
  • Lex is being shot by a bunch of street gangstas, and while in come dreams about his possible future. We see his inside feelings.

While walking on a dark street, Lex is being shot by gangsters. While in coma, he dreams his possible future life with Lana Lang, his son Alexander, and his unborn child. Lionel Luthor takes him on a surgery for his leg, but a very dangerous one. In the dream, Lex is a friend with Clark, but Johnatan is the senator of Kansas, and he likes Lex. Actually, everybody likes Lex in this time. He is not very rich, because seven years ago, he turned his back on his father, but he has a very happy life. In the end, Lana's baby is out but Lana dies and Lex can't do nothing about it. His mother's ghost tells him that it's better to follow his heart, instead of his ambitions but he don't want to listen.
  • After being shot on Christmas Eve, Lex dreams that he and Lana are married, have a son, and are expecting another child. Meanwhile, in the real world, Clark gives up Christmas with Lana to help Chloe deliver presents to needy children.

After getting shot on Christmas Eve, Lex dreams that he's married to Lana, they have a son named Alexander, and Lana's expecting their second child. In the dream, Lillian appears to Lex, and tells him that he can have that life, provided he makes the right choices. As the dream plays out, Lex finds that Lionel cut him off financially after he forfeited the Senate race to Jonathan, but discovers that he's still good friends with Clark and Chloe and that Jonathan loves him like a son. Meanwhile, in the real world, Lionel arranges for Lex to undergo life-threatening emergency surgery, and Clark gives up Christmas with Lana to help Chloe deliver presents to needy children.

My Review: LEXMAS is another episode I enjoy that, for reasons unknown, is considered by most fans to among the show's worst. Personally, I love holiday-themed and alternate-reality episodes, and so much the better that the writers were able to combine both so well. I also liked that the writers didn't focus entirely on Lex, but gave us the gift of a subplot involving the hunky Clark. And speaking of which, how sweet was it that Clark was playing Santa, even going so far as to devour the milk and cookies that were left out. :D Anyway, moving on. Michael Rosenbaum gave an outstanding performance. Not that he's less-than-stellar in every other episode, mind you, but he was awesome in this episode, from his confusion at waking up next to Lana, to his happiness at having finally found where he belongs, to his grief and hopelessness at Lana's death. Ten Christmas trees (or Hanukkah bushes, or whatever) out of ten. Though as much as I love this ep, I have to wonder where exactly was Lois in all this, and why wasn't she spending Christmas with the Kents? I mean, that could've been her in Clark's arms, instead of Lana. Well, not really, but y'all know what I mean.

Highlights: Lex awaking to his new life; Martha trying to keep Jonathan away from the cookies; Chloe interrupting the almost-Clana kiss; Lex going tree-shopping with his son, and running into Clark and Chloe; Chloe recruiting Clark to help deliver the toys (Clark in the Santa hat was just priceless!); Clark's talk with the drunken Santa; Lex and Lana at the Kents' Christmas party, and Lex wondering how he ended up with Lana; Chloe getting help from "Santa"; and the Kents' Christmas party, including Clark and Chloe's debate over "Santa".
  • Great episode and an insight to Lex's deepests feelings.

I really liked this episode. At the beginning of the series Lex was a good guy, now he's faster becoming the infamous Lex Luthor that everybody hates (at least those close to Clark/Superman). This episode brings back all the good about Lex in an amazing way. The ending is really powerful, when you expect him to say that he will play fair with Kent to win the election he states that he plans to accomplish all of that by gaining money and power. This shows how conflicted Lex is and even if he wishes well now, his powerful dark side will eat him up. Even worse, the main cause for this decision is Lionel, once again, screwing up his sons life.

I didn't like the Santa bit really, I found it to be really silly, that's why this episode doesn't get a higher rating.
  • Lex is shot and, while in a coma, he is visited by his mother's ghost, who shows him a vision of what his life could be like.

This episode is so wonderful in a heartbreaking sort of way. As much as I would love to see Clark and Lana together, this really makes you ache for the future that Lex sees. Of course, with Lana dying in the vision, that ruins it, but the love and happiness beween Lex and Lana throughout the vision is so perfect. And don't feel bad for Clark! He seems very happy with Chloe, and that is who I feel he should be with anyway! This is my favorite episode. It is so impactful and full of feeling. I wish Lex could have turned out good like this :( Alas, it cannot be so.
  • Great Episode

One of the best in Season Five, with Clark in his first Lanaish Christmas trading his very precious time with Lana for helping to deliver the gifts, his talking with the mysterious depressed "Santa"(It is the only part I consider lame because Santa could not possibly die from committing suicide by jumping from an eight story building, could he?!), and Lex's interpretation of his dream, in which he had the happiest and saddest moments of life. This episode just pull people closer to Lex's real desired life and in what ways he is going to get to it, ways that make him become a person he will be. Along with the few other episodes in the previous respective seasons, this screenplay writer did a fascinating job adding bits with much subtlety a Westerner could summon, explaining to his audience who eventually turned a man into a devil, power-hungry and full of hatred.
  • Lex gets a second chance, and of course, doesn't take it. That doesn't stop this from being one of the most powerful episodes of the series.

Sometimes dream can seem so real...this certainly was the case for episode 05x09 ("Lexmas". The plotting for this episode was simply genius. The main falling of many Smallville episodes is that the writers try so hard to make a connection between show and viewer that they overdue, and establish just the opposite, creating an episode that is hard to relate to and is easier to laugh at in terms of absurdity. Then there was this episode, possibly one of the most unbelievable episodes of the series, that struck the strongest chord with me. Are their certain decisions we can make that will give us the "happily ever after" so many yearn for?
    In an obvious tribute to Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", Lex is visisted by the ghost of his mother, who shows him an alternate reality in which he has disowned his father and sought out his own future. His father has disinherited him and no longer claims him as a son, but Lex has everything he has ever wanted: a marriage to Lana, a happy family and dear friends. In a pivotal scene between Clark and Lex, Lex says that his life has turned out nothing like he'd expected it to, but he can't stop being happy about it. As his mother told him he must do, he followed his heard instead of his ambition.
    The characters in Lex's dream world are a joy to behold. It's as if everything has fallen into place because the antagonist, Lex, is no longer so. Now that Lana found Lex a suitable man to fall in love with, Clark has moved on (to Chloe, presumably), and Jonathan is a perfectly healthy State Senator who has the honor of presenting Lex with a Humanitarian Award. The role that Lex's mother played was also incredibly excellent, and heartbreaking at the same time. The happiness and bittersweetness of this episode was a delightful reprieve from the grief that is so pervasive in the reality episodes. And this surreality is dealt with splendidly in technical terms.
    The Director of Photography for this episode, Glen Winter, was let loose to create a new world. And he does it with a flair that is sadly absent from most episodes. All of the dream scenes are flushed with a brilliant gold, as opposed to the black and blue hues in the waking world. This almost seems to imply that the world created by Lex's mother is more of a reality than the cold one that Lex must return to. As Lex gets closer and closer to awakening, the light fades, as it becomes clear that Lex will not do as his mother wishes.
    The B story (Clark delivering Christmas presents) was a little weak, and I would have preferred more focus on the "Bizarro" world, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Smallville had never done a Christmas episode before, so I guess they deserved to go all out, even if that meant bringing in the real Santa Claus. This is definitely one of the highlights of Season 5, which, even though it was an improvement from Season 4, still had some pitfalls. More episodes like Lexmas would help bring a new light to Smallville, but it is unlikely that the producers will follow their hearts over their ambitions. Too bad.
  • Surprisingly good

Smallville gives us a Christmas episode. I didn't know what to expect. This episode was a lot better than i expected. Lex is shot and wakes up married to Lana with a son and another baby on the way. Clark helps Chloe deliver resents at the Daily Planet and meets a drunken Santan Claus.

Lionel watches as his son is in a hospital bed and agrees to surgery to save his life.

Another good installment from Smallville.
  • We got to see what life would have been like if Lex had done the right things as opposed to the wrong things, following his heart rather than his ambition.

Wow, this episode was pretty cool.

Great acting always helps, and everyone was on their game: Rosenbaum, Kreuk, everyone. We got to see what life would have been like if Lex had done the right things as opposed to the wrong things, following his heart rather than his ambition.

I'm a person that likes to see when things go right, and people are happy, so this episode gave me a good glimpse of that. Clark and Lex are good friends (:-D), Senator Kent admires Lex, Lana loves him and has a family with him, even Chloe likes him. And the Santa B-story was good too. Made some Christmas hope seem realistic, even if I'm watching it in April. I'm really glad the people at Smallville made this episode happen. It was definitely worth watching.
  • Lex had everything he wanted and he gave it all up for power and money, don't they ever learn?

I really liked this episode, I always love holiday specials. I liked how Clark played Santa Clause and the scene with the little girl was hilarious. Was that guy the real Santa Clause? You never know after all it is Smallville.

I have never seen Lex truly happy in all my times in watching Smallville. He seemed really comfortable with his son and in jeans nonetheless. When he was making his Christmas tree speech, I saw that he really smiled and he was real happy about giving up everything for Lana.

I was sad at how fast he turned from everything. When he started talking about how money and power runs everything, I knew he completely turned. If he couldn't have Lana, he'd just take everything else.
  • More then one side

There are a few realities here that make for a nice episode. First of all there is the Super-UPS guy, bringing presents all over. This part and the things rolling from it are more then just a little sweet. It makes for a very nice Smallville X-Mas.

It also Shows Chloe in another light. One that might give cause for events, and i look forward to that part.

The other side is the 'family man' version of Lex. This has a few sides that make this better then decent. It is nice to see him as a genuinly warm character and the way the colors were used make it all well done. Then there is a conclusion which you should see. It is a film approach you might have seen in Traffic, but it is used very smoothly here too. Yup, an excellent christmas episode!
  • Good episode...

Well since Christmas is coming soon I figured I would do a review of a christmas episode. So I picked Smallville. Lex gets shot visited by his mother and shown what his life would be like if he stays away from lional. He is married to lana and has kids. Clark is with Chloe I'm not sure if they were married or not, and Jonathan Kent is the Senator which means lex lost. While that is going on Clark Delivers presents to a bunch of kids all over metropolis. I thought this was a very great episode I am so glad that they didn't decide to go with a Christmas carol and have the 3 ghosts visit lex that would have been very Corny. later...
  • Despite its obvious "X-mas" theme its actually a great episode and has important character development. Great episode. I was a little scepticle at first but the writers didnt let me down. Here my usual breakup

Clark and Lana: Where was this fire 5 episodes ago?!?! They were great as a couple. They were romantic, and happy. Almost makes me sad that it wont last. Lex and Lana: Lanas acting really was top notch in this episode. Lex and Lanas chemistry however was a little off and felt forced on Lex's part, but, being that he just woke up in this alternate life, its understandable.

Clark (Alternate Reality): I would have preffered him with Glasses. This was a perfect opportunity for the writers to show an Older Clark Kent, a reporter no doubt!!! with Glassess. Oh well. Clark and Chloe: This was obviously a Christmas treat for all you Chloe and Clark fans. Hoped you enjoyed it. Its interesting that the reason Clark didnt stay with Lana was because he couldnt have children. A fact that carries on to the comics. Clark is only compatable with Wonder Woman. Lois and Lana could never have children with him. He later has one with Wonder Woman who grows up to be one of the Elders that watches over all realitties. Although he is Superman and Wonder Womans son, he was raised by Bruce Wayne. Read the comic "Kingdom" and "Kingdom Come" for more.

NOTES:
    - I dont believe it was a Filler episode. We definitly saw some important Character development on Lexs part. As for the Lionel/Jor-El, well the only time we saw Lionel is in the dream. And that was Lex's interpretation of his father. A person he's not to fond of ever since the dissapearance of the spaceship. There really wasnt enough to say that they were or wernt together. - I loved the Clana moments. They were long over due.

- Smallville = Star Wars? Totally. I had Vaders Theme song ringing in my head during the last section of the episode. Too bad we didnt have Lex and Clark battling it out with lightsabers and "Battle of the Heroes" playing in the background - Lilly Luthor, was named after Lex's own mother I believe. - The surgical precedure was an exact duplicate of the season 1 finale. Only that Lex wasnt as happy as Lionel was. And he definitly stated it so
  • Lex's subconcious shoots itself in the foot.

With many of Lex's actions in the past few years it has become obvious to observant viewers that he has a huge thing for Lana Lang. Whilst in his own way he tries to help her, protect her and be nice to her when Lex gets shot in this episode and has a nice dream about Lana being his you just know it cannot all be fine in the end.

The scens with Lex and Lana together with their little boy are touching and for once the character having the weird dream manages not to act weird but simply go with the flow. The future Lex sees isn't perfectly ideal but passable enough, until that is Lana dies in childbirth, here is where Lex's subconcious goes wrong because the one thing Lex could not stand is losing her especially when she could have been saved. Lionel seems somewhat callous in this episode rather having a dead son rather than a paralyzed one. The dream Lionel seems just as callous but in seeing this couldn't Lex squirrel away some of his riches for situations like that in the dream. The other tale of Clark and Chole was a nice one trying to do some good with Santa in need of a reassuring Christmas message. It was sweet with the ending good and Smallville strange.
  • Nice episode.

This is a christmas episode, sort of like lex luthor getting scrooged. it's a bit of a spoof, but it works just fine the way it is. we see an alternative future for lex, maybe his hallucinating instead of just dreaming of what the future might be. lex really didn't turn better when he wakes up from his weird dream. but it's not all about lex, things happen as well with clark, lana and chloe. clark plays santa claus, and a santa displays some weird powers, maybe another meteor freak, we're not sure. but it really doesn't matter, the episode was fun and entertaining.
  • Great!

Lex is shot and that causes him to fall into a type of comma where he begins to imagine how will his life be if he abandon the senatorial campaign on Christmas Eve. There he is married with Lana, and has a boy, and also is going to have another child, also he is best friends to Clark again, and Clark is together with Chloe, and Jonathan is now Senator and well a lot of good things happen, Lex is about to do it, when he sees that the future implies Lana to die, so Lex tells his mother, the one who travel him around, that he won't do it. While Clark manages to recover to gain up the spirit of the real Santa Claus... good!
  • This makes us understand a very complex character right before he goes completely dark.

When I heard about this episode, I thought it would be cliched and certainly I was right, but not about the Lex storyline. The Clark/Chloe/Santa story was an annoying distraction when all we're interested in is Lex, the reason I didn't give this a 10.

Given how guarded and mysterious Lex can be, this was a breathtaking look directly into his subconcious. We see what he truly wants: Lana, a loving family, close friends and a life of peace, not power. His mother tries to guide him, showing what future he can have if he drops out of the senatorial race now, before his formidable ambition is awakened. But upon awakening, fresh from enduring Lana's death and his father's cruel rejection, it is impressed upon Lex more than ever that power is the only protection. No doubt he is also thinking that it is better never to have Lana than lose her so cruelly. This is a stunning character portrayal of Lex which Michael brings to life with his usual style and grace, but with more animation than the subtle Lex usually shows. This episode made Lex human.

The most impressive scenes for pure acting prowess and style were obviously when Lana died and Lex's talk to Griff. While Lex tearfully declaring his love for Lana as she dies was heartbreaking, I found the last scene far more powerful. Lex coldly talking of his future and his desire for power, icily giving the order to destroy Jonathan Kent, then staring emotionlessly out the window... as his devastated mother looks on.

On a lighter note, it was wonderful to see Lex with Lana and Alexander. Never have you seen either Lana or Lex so happy and it's enough to make you wonder who she is truly destined to be with, Lex or Clark? Who would make her happiest? Certainly not Clark, even if he told her the truth, she would always have the burden of who and what he is, whereas Lex, were he to give up his power, would need no secrets and their marriage would be an open one, as seen here.

We've known, or at least, suspected Lex's love for Lana this season. But here he actually admits that he's 'always loved' her which is no surprise.

The look on his face when he walks out of the house to take his son Xmas tree shopping is priceless! And the way he turns clumsily around to look at the house! It's great to see a lighter side to Lex. This is definitely a different Lex, one not darkened and burdened by his father's influence and power. This also shows what Lex could accomplish if he were to turn his considerable intelligence to good instead of the pursuit of power. That is what makes Lex tragic.

It's why I treasured his friendship with Clark in the beginning. Lex always talked about the darkness creeping over the edges and how Clark's friendship kept it at bay. Now that Clark is not there to reign Lex in, Lex will become the monster we know he will one day be.

The Lex storyline touched me as no episode of Smallville ever has, not just because I've always been fascinated by Lex, specifically his struggle with his dark side, but because he's always been the most complex and two-sided character in the series, always balanced on the knife between right and wrong... and he's starting to slip. This was a very important episode because it made us understand a very enigmatic character right before he goes completely dark.
  • Lex meets a man with evidence to go against Jonathan Kent in the political race. On his way out, Lex is shot and awakens in a coma, where he meets his belated mother and she tells him what his life could be like if he makes the right choices.

I thought this episode was fantastic. Lex was really stepping into the dark character we know and love. It was like Star Wars 3 in the way, that when Lex had the vision of Lana`s death, he awakens from his coma wanting to have the good life which Anakin did and suffered because of it. I thought Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling played their characters really well in this episode. Clark didn`t really have a part in this episode because it was Lex orientated. Other than that the characters were quite good in this Christmas Episode.
  • After being shot and falling into a coma, Lex dreams of what life could be like.....

I thought this was a really good episode. I loved the alternate life because Clark and Lex were friends and Lex and Lana made a great couple. It was nice to see how things could have been or could be if Lex made different decisions. Im not much of a Lana fan but I liked her in this episode and the way she was with Lex and their son (and it was cool to see the Clark and Chloe thing going on again). I also liked the fact that by that end of it all Lex was still as evil as always and not \"changed\" like Ebeneezer Scrooge (I realise he couldnt have been changed because Lex was always an evil character and Superman\'s nemesis). Despite this episode being aired here (UK) in march, it still had a nice christmassy atmosphere.
    So overall, a good episode. A good stand alone episode since there wasnt alot to do with the whole Smallville story arc or superman mythology or anything like that but still nice to see a different side of the characters lives.

NOTES:

- I loved the Clana moments. They were long over due.

- Lilly Luthor, was named after Lex's own mother I believe.

• Everybody here who thinks this was a bad episode, must be the stupidest bunch in the world. There are two episodes in season 5 that develops the legacy of Superman. what makes superman is not his powers, but Lex luthor. This is the first episode that reve

Everybody here who thinks this was a bad episode, must be the stupidest bunch in the world. There are two episodes in season 5 that develops the legacy os Superman. what makes superman is not his powers, but Lex luthor. This is the first episode that revealed the true transformation of Lex Luthor. So far you\\\'ve seen lex grow into evil, but this episode is what activated who he wants to be in the future. When he lived a life of hapiness and easrnesty, his wife died and he had no money or power to save her, so he chose the life of money and power, because thats what he believes will secure his hapiness and life. This episode was what decided Lex luthors fate in his never ending battle agaisnt superman. This episode wasn\\\'t just a xmas special, it was unlike the birth of a savour jesus christ, the birth of an evil on earth, lex luthor. The 2nd episode that unravels the legacy is reckoning because clark, becomes superman in that episode, people have very narrow minded brains when it comes to good shows like these. understand beauty before you can judge what\\\'s not beautiful.
  • Lex is shot by some criminals who wanted to steal his car. He gets shot, and falls in to a deep dream about how his life could be if he: was friends with Clark, have a son named Alexander and a pregnant wife and a father who hates his guts.

I really think the episode had to many "bloopers", like when Clark mysteriously gets inside the houses to deliver gifts, how Santa Clause actually was surprised of Clark having superspeed when he's a freaking magic spirit.

Otherwise, it was a great episode. We could actually see how Lex really is. Smart, Evil and power-hungry. He refers to money and power are the most important things in the world.

I feel it was "stupid" when Lana died in the dream. It was supposed to resmble how great Lex's life could be, and I assure you that Lana dying is VERY BAD.

• It's Christmas in Smallville and Lex is in a coma dreaming he was married to Lana

2.5
    Not a good episode for Smallville. Lex really does love Lana. Can you really see Lex as a father? He had a choose between being good and evil, and still he doesn\'t change. He only begins his road down to the dark side. The acting was great by Michael Rosenbaum and the cast. Hope the next episodes are better.
  • i did not like this episode

When i turn the tv on to see this show i do not like to have the writers and directos focus on someone else because i think is a bad formula. I do thin that lex caracter is not rich enough to have an episode completly focus on him. I do think that the directos and writers have done a great job this season qith the development of clark into superman that i do not want to have the run end with some twist shift in focus
  • really silly episode, totaly idiotic, the end of it was good though

Never in the whole life of smallville I espected so silliness in a show, i realize that Xmas is an important celebration, but... CoME ON!!! this definitely cross the line from tradition to stupidity, the only thing that save this episode id the pivotal end, I really didnt especta that this episode could be the one that defines the future of one of the greatest villians of all time...
< 1 2 3