Smallville

Luthor

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 03, 2010 on The CW

• New season, old plots. (I wonder if in my alternate reality does my alt-self watch an alt-Smallville that's actually, ya know, inventive.)

Not quite the corker I was expecting, but this was still a decent Smallville episode. We can add yet another villain to the increasingly large roster of Big Bads this year. Having said that, I'd much prefer a familiar, reliably sinister face than a complicated, underdeveloped, incorporeal one. (Sorry, Darkseid.)

Tess inherits a Kryptonian relic that sends Clark to a parallel universe (referenced in a throw-away line as Earth-Two) where his doppelganger, raised by Lionel instead of Martha and Jonathan, is sent to Clark's world in exchange. Our Clark must figure out how to get back to his own world, all the while experiencing the repercussions of the road not taken, as Clark Luthor. Out of character hijinks ensues.

While fun, I was left underwhelmed by most of the events that occur in this episode. We've had so many Red Krypntonite storylines at this stage in the game, that Clark's doppelganger, Ultraman, pales in comparison to Clark's previous trips to the Dark Side. Tom Welling has a blast, as always, playing a Clark with a bit more oomph, but Clark-Two barely features, leaving a lot to be desired. I really wanted to watch Ultraman reek havoc in Clark's place; the snippets we do get are really, really exciting (Clark gatecrashing Watchtower was hella cool! I really wished they could have shown us the apparent epic battle Clark-Two has with Tess, Ollie and Lois that brings him to his knees, beaten and bloodied), but we're stuck with our extremely naive Clark, acting as though he's never been whisked away to another time-line before. As with red-k, this show has had its fair share of alternate reality episodes, so once again, everything feels recycled, now more than ever with John Glover back on the scene.

Glover is amazing though and slots effortlessly back into his role as the ever pompous, verbose, and very evil Lionel Luthor. Spitting out his lines like venom, my personal favourite has to be his harsh retort to Tess-Two's childish outburst: ''I have worked too long and too hard to let you, a little half-bred tramp with a Magdalene complex, ruin everything.'' He chews up the scenery with every chance and reignites the show with a true sense of menace. And I really do miss his extravagant use of the English language, and his constant literary references.

Visually, there's quite a few impressive money-shots to behold, and stripping Earth-Two of Smallville's glaring overuse of colour, gave the show a striking edge; the series hasn't looked quite so good in a long while.

But this was all very safe. Too safe. With alternate reality episodes there's generally a rule of thumb where you can just say, ya know what, feck it, and completely deface the show, let go of everything familiar and turn the series on its head. I always reference one of my favourite alt-reality episodes, ''The Wish'' (03. 09), from Buffy, and, to a lesser extent, ''It's a Bad, Bad, Bad World'' (06.21/22) from Charmed. Both of these shows demolished any and all sense of the familiar and just had fun with the premise. With Smallville, and in this instance especially, the focus is on the return of John Glover, and the whole Earth-Two scenario is used as a convenient plot-device rather than the writers trying to tell a real story within this second universe. Aside from a few hairstyle changes, Lois, Tess and Oliver are pretty much the same characters. Such a missed opportunity altogether.

It was inevitable that Lionel-Two would slip through the cracks along with Clark. I just hope the writers put him to good (er, evil, oh ya know what I mean!) use. The idea of an alternate Lionel teaming up with a cloned version of Lex is just too good to be true. If the writers can pull it off, the show will certainly go out with all kinds of fireworks!
  • LUTHOR Lessons Learned*SPOILERS WITHIN**

Lesson 1- Luthor blood is poison, Lutessa.
    Lesson 2- Big, dumb Kryptonians should never activate an unfamiliar device without knowing precisely what it's purpose is.
    Lesson 3- It's quite alright to make out with your brother as long as he's adopted and really hot!
    Lesson 4- Coffee must ALWAYS come before Karma. Sorry, Baristas. Tip ya next time around.;)
    Lesson 5- Lois learned right from left. (well,maybe)
    Lesson 6- Lois Lane is universally consistent.
    Kesson 7- Lionel Luthor is universally consistent.
    Lesson 8- Spare the rod? Spoil your child! Well, they are billionaires, so spoiled is a given. Or you could just beat your kids with a metal belt buckle while breaking down the concept of True Luthor Family Values (ooh, that could be a spin-off). Now, that's Luthor love!

The final, and most important lesson is that Luthor blood isn't poison. Adopted or by blood, having a father like Lionel raise you would be more like cancer. Gotta die of something. Poison is much quicker. Because no true Luthor would have let him live this long. Lex demonstrated his true Luthorness in an episode, appropriately titled, Descent when he threw dear old dad outta his office window straight to his death. The bad news is that the MB Luthor mysteriously made it back to the real 'Ville with CK, which'll make life a living hell for our gang. The good news is that the MB Luthor is back, baby! Spicin things up, wreakin a little havoc, quoting kings and emperors..It's the Luthor way.
  • Alternate reality episodes are always fun, but this late in the game are they really necessary?

This week's episode of Smallville sees Clark yet again sucked into an alternate reality. The moment I read the synopsis I knew that this episode would be good to watch but ultimately pointless.

In this reality he is once again confronted with a realization of what life would have been like for him had one thing changed in his past, in this case it was Lionel Luther finding him rather than the Kents.

As normal with Clark in these situations he was utterly clueless how to act in another reality. He knows from the off that this world will be different yet he applies his own personal normal to an alien world. He still calls out to Jonathan and Martha Kent as mum and dad, he still applies the qualities of the characters in his world to the characters in this alternate one. His scene with alternate Lois is the prime example of this. Everything he told her might not have been true for this Lois and the only reason why she would have been able to tell if he was lying or not as he said she could would have only been if she knew him as well as she did on his world.

Seeing Lionel again was completely awesome and it became quickly apparent just what had been missing from the show these last years. The absence of Lex and Lionel from the show since season 7 has left a void that Tess just couldn't quite fill. On screen those two had the charisma to pull off the hugely intelligent evil master mind and of all the humans who have stood up to Clark in some way or another over the years, only Lionel and Lex have truly been believable as opponents worthy to rise to the challenge.

The other high of the episode was getting to see what Clark was like evil. Seeing him on Red Kryptonite, the rebooted Kryptonian we saw in the first episode of season 4 or an alternate evil version of himself has always been thrilling to watch as it is only in these episodes we see the kind of potential Clark could rise to. He is always so timid to use his abilities as himself and the writers are always so reluctant to show us how awesome Superman really is, so we often forget just how powerful Clark can be. But when he is in alternate Clark mode we know we are in for a visual treat, in this episode I am referring to the awesome moment when he crashed through the roof of watchtower.

The problem here is that I became more interested in the evil Clark story than the good Clark and so was ultimately disappointed to rejoin that story at just the moment when three lowly humans had brought him to his knees with... that's right you guessed it... Kryptonite!

Truth be told I enjoyed this outing of Smallville but 10 episodes into the final season and one episode away from the Christmas break I was expecting something incredibly important to the progression of this season and the development of the ending of this decade of great TV.

It seemed that this episode's only real contribution came in the last few moments of air time when we realize that a fully grown and possibly more evil and intelligent version of Lex is once again roaming the streets of Metropolis and so too is Lionel Luthor.

This episode has left me with a great hope but also a great fear. I hope with all my being that Lex returns to this show as what is Superman with out his bald foe to battle him through the years. But my great fear for this season is that they cast someone other than Michael Rosenbaum to play him. No one else can pull of Lex in the Smallville universe, already proved once this season. If they can't get him back, then please don't bring him back!

Overall decent episode, but should have been better.
  • Clark Luthor!

When it comes to altenate universes, I think that Smallville did one of its best jobs ever with Luthor. In my opinion, it's hard to top Labyrinth, but this is a close second. It was amazing to see how different the world was with someone like Lionel pulling all the strings. It was also interesting to realize how different Lionel turns out when Clark isn't there as a force of good. From seasons 5 to 7 we saw how Clark's presence helped Lionel try to redeem himself. Here, he was more ruthless than we've ever seen him.

The other fun part of this episode was how they explored the Clark/Tess relationship. As a fan of both characters, it's something that I wanted to see for a while. And the show didn't disappoint. The scenes between the earth 1 and earth 2 members were kind of creepy due to the sibling romance undertones, but it was further proof of how morally corrupt Lionel's world was. Not that I didn't enjoy the kisses mind you! Anyway, it was great to see Clark and Tess develop an understanding. Tess has been put in some unenviable situations this season and it was nice to see Clark realize that and extend his hand in friendship. It's what makes him Superman.

Finally, it was a thrill to see John Glover back on Smallville. One of the best actors to ever grace this show. His Lionel was a tribute to the MB we saw int he early seasons of Smallville, but he also had new elements that made him even more evil. And I feel that the final scene of the episode couldn't have been better. Kelly Souders who made her directing debut had idea to have Lionel address the viewer and it worked out very well. First time I've seen that on Smallville.

All in all, this was one of the best episodes of Season 10. Roll on Icarus.
  • Great episode!

What an enjoyable episode! Bryan Q Miller did a great job with the script. I felt that he really did great work with the dialogue and it was a well crafted episode.

Tom Welling was amazing!! man, he can play bad so well. It was kind of weird for me to watch him play such an awful character yet I couldn't take my eyes of him! To see him play such a sociopath, it just gave me the creeps. Kudos to Tom! Wonderful acting and way too believable. When he was back in RW with Lois all I saw was bad Clark. Only complaint was there was not enough Clois time in the ending scene. I guess I just wanted Clark to be more affectionate towards Lois. Loved John Glover!! This episode made me think how much I miss him. Great episode and all around great acting. Kudos to Kelly Souders, great directing!
  • Luthor

Luthor was a really great episode where the characters learned more about each other. I thought the story was very interesting and it was interesting to see how Clark could have been had Lionel found him instead of the Kents. I thought it was very touching how the other Lois could tell that the real Clark wasn't her reality's which made the real Lois feel really good about herself. Tess Mercer had a little light shown on her character as well being mixed up in all of this. The other Tess and Clark Luthor were a pair straight out of Cruel Intentions! I enjoyed the ending and can't wait to see what will happen next!!!!!!!
  • This episode was absolutely brilliant!

I loved every second of it. First of all welcome back,John Glover! I hadn't realized how much I've missed your brilliance on the show. This episode was really good. It was fast-paced but I could still keep up with it which is great. I loved the whole alternate universe. It gave you a good idea at what Clark's life could have been if he hadn't been raised with as much love and understanding and taught certain values and morals. The funny thing is that even with all the power and money in the world Clark Luthor wasn't half as happy as Clark Kent. Of course Clark Kent worked to get where he is now. Unlike Lionel Jonathan Kent wasn't afraid of Clark and he taught him to take responsibility for his actions,etc. Although I would've liked to have seen Clark being found in the cornfield by Lionel,in a way I'm happy they didn't do it,because they would have to use a different Clarkie(young CLark) and it might have ruined the original pilot scenes. I also liked that most of the episode happened in Clark Luthor's world. I love that Lois recognizes her Clark no matter what. The scene where Clark came back to his own world and had all these kryptonite weapons pointed at him was hilarious.I also loved Tess in this episode,both versions of her. And the ending was absolutely brilliant.
  • Lionel is back!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I thought the script written by Bryan Q. Miller was very clever and providing a plausible way of bringing back Lionel Luthor from a very tragic death in Season 7. Also Kelly Souders did an excellent job with directing, especially with making the stark visual contrasts between the 2 worlds. This episode was very Clark-centric and it is a pleasure to watch Tom Welling's acting ability to portray 2 very different Clarks. I wish there was a little more time to see how the "Bad Clark" ended up being on the floor with Kryptonite weapons aimed at him. I also, enjoyed watching Cassidy Freeman in this episode and felt sorry for her in her final scene. Her honesty and vulnerability were beautifully portrayed. John Glover was terrific. The final scene was great and I'm looking forward how Lionel is going to make his menacing influence on Metropolis and Smallville.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** The 10th season Pandora

With such a title it didn't take long before I felt a cold chill in the air. Lionel, Lex and now Tess. Coining "Tex" in my Harvest review was probably my way to express a wish. Cassidy Freeman, would you read me ? I'm sure most fans still miss Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan but we have to admit that Freeman has become an irresistible figure on the show. Her wicked story has become captivating but Luthor should make you realize how much The Actress and the Character are a match. With the beast within fading in the beauty's shadow an inevitable question was asked. What if ? Season 9 had its Pandora, season 10 has Luthor. They could only have opened the mythological box but instead they decided to weave it like the most deadly and meticulous spider.

Lazarus was sensational when it came to Lois & Clark. Of course this time it wasn't about them nevertheless the writer still managed to develop their supernatural tale. I see you. me too !

Shield had its cons but somehow they turned into pros. Confusing story ? Two exciting arcs intertwined in a creative fashion and their dazzling dance was served by an immersive production. Visual effects were bloody good and a transition should even make you feel a little dizzy.

Supergirl intrigued us because of its black and white portrayal of Clark. Tom Welling's acting was impressive and I think his talent works like magic when it comes to duality. It's obvious he enjoys his darker scenes considering how much Clark Kent is a lot about being good. Cl mirrors D after all !

Isis was staged for the male audience. Erica Durance and Freeman were gorgeous in their respective roles. In this installment the first had a minor part but her scene with Oliver was touching and others were the occasion to see Lois like we never did before. As for the second she was a goddess among men. If you thought the actress was a libido magnet, well it's time to shake your body and soul because you'll be at the mercy of her drooling tex appeal. Sister Tess, we love you.

Harvest, angels and demons. Well balanced its writing should have been a model for Luthor. Indeed as much as I enjoyed it I think one arc overshadowed the other. Of course life is a shade of greys but you should be disappointed by the Watch Tower's incident ending. I was puzzled and starving for more. I thought I missed something but I didn't. A question of duration ? Obviously. Still the action was intense so maybe doubling it wasn't the solution. In fact it could even have a higher impact on you !

Ambush was anecdotic in my opinion and this tenth episode revealed its flaws even more. Indeed the identity handling was lazy because of Clark's careless excuses. Season 8 made us more careful about that specific element and in Luthor the Superman curse took a whole new meaning. It's not character development, it's persona quake. In the early beginning you should be as puzzled as some characters. I noticed a few glitches in the performances but overall they did a convincing job. But of course subjectively speaking Freeman and Welling's one was by far the most… dare I say it ? Non coco !

Abandoned and Patriot were lucky to have Granny Goodness, Aquaman & Mera as guests. But even their performers couldn't have prepared anyone to who appeared in Luthor. Harvest convinced me that anything can happen on the show, even the most inaccessible dreams. How can you resist the finale season of one of the most cult science-fiction TV production ? Nobody ! And like if it wasn't already enough the cliffhanger took things to a whole new level. The filming technique used was bold, modern and shattering. Uncle Sam wants you, and he's definitely not recruiting for the good of mankind !
  • Muhahahaha

Somewhere in the halls of villainy (wherever it is) Lionel Luthor's chuckle is echoing off the walls. Perhaps because he's just aced his ultimate evil exam, I mean not only is he evil in one dimension but two. This episode was absolutely brilliant, I'm tempted to say it's the best so far but "Homecoming" is a pretty good contender. And like "Homecoming", "Luthor" demonstrates just how talented the cast of Smallville really is. Tom Welling's portray of 'Ultra-man' was beyond believable and makes me wish Red Kryptonite was falling from the sky just so I could see him play the villain again. Halfway through the episode I completely forgot that John Glover's character had been dead for three seasons. Glover fit seamlessly into this episode, not only when acting with Welling, but also in his scenes with Cassidy Freeman, it's as if he's been here (lurking in a corner) all this time. So just to recap, Lionel Luthor is back and more evil than before, Lex is all grown up and coming back with a vengeance, and an evil-feeding beast is on the loose in Metropolis, yep, this is gonna be a pretty kick ass season.
  • A Tale of Two Clarks

Luthor-After unintentionally activating a Kryptonian box that Lionel Luthor once possessed, Clark is sent to an alternate universe where he was raised by Lionel. Meanwhile, the murderous Clark Luthor goes to Clark's universe with the intent to take Clark's place.

When news of yet another alternate universe episode broke out, many fans were weery of the thought, already feeling that this season was filled with too many fillers and not devoting much of the episodes to building Clark's journey as Superman. So an episode devoted to a different world where Clark as murder didn't seem that exciting. But, thankfully, the majority of fans can say they were wrong. "Luthor" excels with dark, chilling tale of shattered world where Clark was found by Lionel Luthor, raised to be the murderous Clark Luthor! Of course, the reason why Clark would even be Clark in this world is never explained, there's no need for it. This was FUN!

One thing I loved about this alternate world, unlike the last (the stunning style, yet disappointing substance "Pandora") was the comic elements through in for good measure. The fact that Clark Luthor is Ultraman and the alternate world is called "Earth 2" (even though the majority of the story has elements of "Earth 3") it makes the episode even more enjoyable to comic fans who are watching. Also, an added bonus that Tom Welling's performance is remarkbally frightening at times. He portrayed Clark Luthor with an brilliant distinction unlike how he played past darker (or evil) verisons of Clark, certainly a far cry from his Red K Clark days and even more menancing than Bizarro ever was!! All his scenes were profoundly intense, especially when Clark Luthor crashes into Watchtower while throwing Lois and Tess around like rag dolls gave me chills. Not to mention, Tom's delievery of "Get Up Tess. GET UP!" and "Ill Kill You" was tremendously evil! You could really see the twisted persona that this Clark was raised into by Lionel.

Speaking of Lionel, no words can express how awesome John Glover's return to the series was! From his first scene with Clark when he arrives in "Earth 2" to his shocking arrival in the real world, Glover is as masterful as ever!! Feeling like he never left for 3 years, Glover jumps back into the role with perfection, Lionel has never been so deliciously evil and disturbing since back in Season 3! It was great to see the Magnificant B@stard again! Every line, every scene with him elevated this episode in so many ways! The fencing sequence with Clark and Lionel was wonderful, reminiscent of Lex and Lionel's fencing scenes in the early years of Smallville. I also love the references to the series' mythology (Veritas, The Swans, Lex killin Lionel in "Descent", etc.) Also, I have to say watching Lionel beat up Clark with belt is certainly a scene that I will never forget! Just knowing we have Lionel back for more episodes is exciting and promises that the second half has A LOT in store. I just hope with Darkseid, Clark's final steps to Superman, Lil' Lex and the VRA arcs are interwoven with AU Lionel's agenda well.

Cassidy Freedman is really knocking it out of the park this season. I was pretty disappointed about her Luthor lineage being a plot development, but after this episode, I'm open to the idea. Clark's self-righteous rant to Tess was so out of character and I fread Tess would be disowned from the team only to turn back into a villain. Luckily, Clark comes to his senses in the end, apologizing and making sure he'll be there for Tess despite her being a Luthor. I also loved her scene with Lionel. It's great watching father and daughter interact, John and Cassidy played off each well, I wanted more! Lois and Oliver didn't have much to do here, especially their alternate verisons but I enjoyed the comedic scene with Lois and the coffee guy, lol. Also, we got some good Clois moments with Lois knowing the real Clark by justing looking into his eyes and their moment at the hospital. It was also a lovely scene between them when Clark told Lois in Earth 2, he can't live in a world where she doesn't love him! What a romantic! All and All, "Luthor" was nearly a masterpiece but Clark's BDA actions at the beginning of the epsiode (did he really activate the box without even considering what could happen!?) and not enough Clark Luthor, but either way, another stellar effort by the writers. Next week, it's the final mid-season finale! Can't wait to see how the first half goes out, should be interesting!
  • A Surprisingly Excellent Episode

I must admit when i saw the synopsis for this episode i thought 'Oh god!! This isnt Smallville heading back to Season 6/7, is it?' But this turned out to be one of the best epsiodes of the season, with a suprisingly strong plot once it was played out and full of great performances. Led by John Glover who returns to show us the darkest possible side of Lionel Luthor. The rest of the cast give typically storng performances, with Erica Durance (although having a fairly small part in this episode) leading them.
    Overall this is definatly on of the best episodes of the season, led by a truly great performance by John Glover as Lionel Luthor!!!!!
  • A standard alt-universe tale saved by the ending

Alternate universes stories have been done a million times before within the genre. "Fringe" is a shining example of the plot device writ large, considering how the entire series is about a war between parallel universes. But that's an extreme example; far more often, it's a main character or characters shifting over into a reality where everything is different. And very often, those characters switch with their (often evil) opposite numbers.

In this particular instance, the "Earth 2" universe is one in which Clark was not raised by the Kents, but rather, Lionel Luthor. Lionel has none of the mildly redeeming qualities that he has in the "Earth 1" universe (if that's even the right designation); she is completely driven by his self-interest. And Clark Luthor has been raised to be Lionel's crowning achievement. In essence, Ultraman is exactly what one would expect if Clark were to give over to his darkest impulses, ala Darksied.

But beyond Tess' acknowledgment as a Luthor in Earth 2, and the relationship between Oliver and Lois, there really isn't that much of a difference between the two worlds. At least, not to the fully fleshed-out degree that genre fans have seen on "Fringe", or for that matter, the endless array of alternate-universe comic book mini-series on the shelf every year. These days, a single episode just doesn't give enough time to delve into the rich details we've come to expect.

It also forces characters like Clark to make moves that just don't make logical sense. How many times has Clark shifted into an alternate world, timeline, future, past, or other random change to his status quo? And instead of taking a step back and doing a bit of recon, he always finds someone he knows, usually the person he loves, and assumes they are just the way he thinks they ought to be. And it always leads to more complications. I understand that it's a storytelling shortcut, pushing the necessary conflicts forward as soon as possible, but it feels rushed and forced.

I was ready to write the entire episode off as a stand-alone exercise, and an all-too-familiar one, until the very final scene. The even-more-amoral version of Lionel is now on Earth 1, and that opens the door to several interesting possibilities. Will Lionel use his influence on Clark to tempt him with his dark side, as has been hinted here and there since the beginning of the summer? Or will Lionel take back his place as the series' original villain as an avatar of sorts for Darksied? Only time will tell.
  • Clark Luthor

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved how the writers brought by John Glover aka Lionel Luthor. I missed Lionel so much. In the alternate world, we get to see how ruthless Lionel Luthor really is and some insight on why Lex Luthor is the man that he is now. My jaw dropped wehn I saw Lionel Luthor in the real world. I wonder how much damage, if any he will do or will he get killed again by the hands of a young Lex clone. There's so many angles that they can go from here. This has been the best episode ever!
  • Wow, what an episode!

Maybe it was Ultraman. Maybe it was having John Glover back as Lionel Luthor. Maybe it was the amazing job Kelly Souders did in her directorial debut. But it all came together and in the end, we got one of the coolest episodes ever. The excitement begins when Tess inherits a mysterious box from her father, Lionel. Once Clark finds it, he's transported to Earth 2, where he was raised by the Magnificent B***ard, Lionel. Rather than being a hero, Lionel raised him up as a murderer in this world and because of that, a lot of things are different and darker in this alternate earth. Brian Q. Miller's choice to have Clark Luthor be an alias for the comic book character Ultraman was absolutely brilliant. Tom Welling has always been great in villainous roles (Red K Clark, Tina Greer disguised as Clark, Lionel in Clark's body, Bizzaro, etc.) but his Ultraman was scary! He pulled up a dual performance for the entire episode (Clark Kent in Earth 2 and Clark Luthor in Earth 1) and it resulted in one of his finest performance ever.

Everything about this episode was good. The writing. The acting. The directing. It's probably my second favorite episode of the season, right up there with "Homecoming"! I loved the last few scenes especially. Lionel beating up Clark, Clark escaping, Lois recognizes Clark, the hospital scene, and that crazy ending! Welcome back John Glover, we missed you!
  • This is perhaps the only filler episode that I will ever voice approval for.

This was, in my opinion, how a filler episode should be put together. It doesn't do a whole lot to advance the plot, but it's a KILLER. And the miniscule parts that do add to the overarching story are not at ALL to be looked over. This episode had several memorable moments to it. 1.) Clark wakes up in bed with two girls. This was one of the funniest scenes in the episode. Watching Clark, for the first twenty minutes (in true slack-jaw Clark Kent fashion) try to figure out what happened to him and where he is made me laugh out loud. It was awesome. 2.) Clark realizes that the swords can hurt him. Somehow, it's always funny to see Clark's reaction when Kryptonite is introduced in unexpected fashion. 3.) The introduction of Ultraman and a parallel universe. Though this plot line had many, many holes in it (one of the largest being, according to the comics, in Parallel earth, everything and everyone is the opposite of what or who they were on regular earth; every good guy is bad, etc., NOT just Clark), it was good to finally get to see that the Smallville universe is more grand-scale than just what goes on in Metropolis and Smallville. 4.) Ultraman's make-out session with Tess. This scene made me sort of mad. It took six years for me to get to see Clois action and this scene sort of set me off. I don't know why. It also raised the question, does Tess have some secret feelings for Clark? She was pretty quick to play along with him kissing her (even when she thought it was the REAL Clark), knowing that he was dating Lois. And did I see some tongue in there? 5.) Finding out about yet another form of Kryptonite. Apparently the physical effects of gold Kryptonite on Clark can't be reversed. 6.) Lionel and Clark work together. This kind of weirded me out. I like Lionel better when he was dead. 7.) Oliver and Lois hate Clark. I knew it wouldn't last, but it was still kind of funny to see Lois hating on Clark and Clark doing his darndest to try to get her to feel the same way all over again. Seeing a version of Oliver that was prepared to justify murder again and was steeped in emotional crud brought me back to some good times from season 9. 8.) Lionel returns to the regular world. Presumably, this means that he killed Clark Luthor (or overpowered him and/or Oliver and used the meteor rock in Watchtower to weaken him). Like I said, I liked Lionel better dead. But I'm willing to give his return a chance (especially considering that his 'son' is on the loose as well). On with the next episode.

Every year as of late, we've gotten an alternate universe type episode, and this was season 10's. Although I think this year's episode wasn't as good as Pandora, maybe it was the same, but from what I remember, Pandora was better, I still think this was superb episode of Smallville. The Lois scenes were kept to a minimum, Lionel is back, and Tess got a whole lot of screen time, for the better.

Does anyone else think Cassidy Freeman deserves an award? I think I said the same thing last season, but she is just an amazing three dimensional addition to the cast. I definitely grew to love her over the course of three years. Clark & Tess' chemistry is undeniable, and I'm glad the writers got to play with that a little bit in this episode.

So how awesome was the cliffhanger? 2nd World Lionel is back? I would love to see John Glover in more episodes, and I'm so happy that this episode isn't his only appearance. With the mid-season finale coming up next week, this was an amazing penultimate episode, and I can't wait to see what comes next.
  • Clark is more and more the maturing hero, showing strength, passion, and compassion. John Glover is as skilled and sinister an adversary as ever, while Cassidy Freeman goes to the top of the acting awards.

Wow! My first '9' rating for a Smallville episode this season. And when "Luthor" was over, we asked ourselves, "Is it over already?" It went that fast, meaning we were intent on the action the whole time. The set designers should get some credit too - as they had to make major modifications to the Kent barn, and to the Watchtower.

The "parallel universe" theme is used so often in tv dramas that it's almost a gimmick, so it's best to simply accept it and see how well it's used. In the case of "Luthor," it's clearly a plot device for Lionel's return, and Mr. Glover did a bang-up job. His other self was devoid of any redeeming quality, so he only had to play the Bad Lionel, but I enjoyed seeing him having a good time with the role. Same device seems to be in use to bring him back to our universe, too.

Clark and Tess were a bit too quick to recognize that Clark-from-here was in an alternate reality, asking only a few questions before grappling with his predicament. Darn if they aren't almost as interesting a couple as Clark and Lois. Tess in either universe is almost the same character, and the dialog and acting have me constantly wondering if she'll land on the side of truth and justice, or whether she'll manifest her Luthor roots. Clark's doppelganger showed more passion for Tess than Clark usually does for Lois.

He was in control almost the entire episode, both physically and emotionally, the latter best demonstrated by his apology and emotional support for Tess at the end, and the way he spoke to the other Lois, fully aware of her ability to discern that he was speaking the truth. These scenes indicate not only his maturity as a hero, but also one of the better scripts of the series.

The script didn't have to spell out everything for us - Clark's return to our Watchtower was in the middle of an unseen battle between our side and Clark Luthor, which meant we had to imagine how that took place, and sometimes our imagination is better than revealing every last detail.

"Luthor" stays on the DVR for awhile, just as good on an A- re-run rating.