Smallville

Magnetic

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 12, 2003 on The CW

• Another one of those Smallville weight-watcher episodes - light on plot, character devlopment and action.

You'd think, with the wealth of mythology from comic books etc., Smallville would have enough material to mix it up almost every episode. And yet, beyond my comprehension, in season three alone, we have yet another Lana-item-of-obsession episode. Enough already! Feeling very much like a missing season one episode, "Magnetic" sees a guy who has the hots for Lana acquire new, you guessed it, magnetic abilities. Explained through dire techno babble, we find out he's changing Lana's feelings, making her do out of character things and such nonsense, making Clark a very jealous guy. A bottle episode in every sense of the term, "Magnetic" lacks Smallville's habitual fall-back, that if the story isn't up to mediocre-par, at least it all looks good. But no, there's very little FX here and the denouement is both predictable and underwhelming, even for such a ropey episode. While I'll always consider Smallville an enjoyable show at heart, when it's bad, it's truly dire stuff. This episode being a prime example.