Smallville

Memoria

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2004 on The CW

• Powerful.

I doubted halfway through the episode if it was a good one or just an average episode, but at the end I was blown away by how powerful it was. The premise of the episode in itself is interesting because we don't get just another meteor-freak-of-the-week storyline, but actually get to develop a season-long story that has been going on.

The most interesting part, of course, was learning exactly why Lionel already treated Lex so badly. I was at a loss for words when I found out that Lex had accidentally killed his brother, but then shocker! - it was actually Lex's mother, and that's why Lex repressed that memory. I was happy that Lex didn't realize who Clark was, nor that Lionel found out anything new.

The episode didn't include half of the main stars, yet their absence didn't have a negative effect - quite to the contrary, it was very great just by concentrating on a few. Also, a big plus on Clark learning his mother's name.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show smallville lex is going to try to remember his memories and so he is going to try to use this expererment to do it and that will get his memories that he lost back about lionel and even things about clark and so they both dont want lex to remember so they both take far diffrent paths about dealing with lex and clark succombs to more experiments at the summer home isitute this was a good ep i thougth and very exciting and that is why i gave this ep a 9 instead of anything lower
  • Lex begins to recover some of his lost memories, which threaten both Lionel and Clark, but they take far different paths to deal with Lex. Clark succumbs to more experimentation at the infamous Summerholt Institute.

With screenwriting by Gough and Millar, and direction by Millar, I had high expectations for this episode. Flashback to the school days of Lex, who's having another round of hysteria over the death of his brother Julian, which unsympathetic father Lionel tries to handle. Lex in the present is re-living this event, even to standing on the edge of his balcony, ready to jump, when Lana pulls him down. She later tells Clark about this, while we learn Jonathan is written out again via a trip to Metropolis for more surgical recovery tests. Clark warns Lana, but agrees to see Lex, who chalks it up to sleepwalking. Lex drives his new MB CL 550 to Metropolis, while Clark follows. Lex discusses his psychosis with Dr. Garner of the Summerholt Institute, who pegs them as recovered memories, not delusions, so the treatment is working. Lex decides to continue them, and is wired up and lowered into a tank of green fluid, while all around rather garish lighting effects are at least eye-catching. More vague memories of childhood emerge, Lex played here by young Wayne Dalglish, who is devastated by the failure of his incredibly lavish birthday party - no one came. Lionel tried to be fatherly, but he always treated Lex as an employee, rather than as a son. As Lex ends the treatment, Clark observes via x-ray vision from above, and confronts Lex out front. Reminding Lex that Dr. Garner misused Molly and Ryan, Clark tries to warn Lex, who is determined to recover his memories - and that's a threat to Clark's secret. These night scenes are dramatic, directed and edited perfectly.

Clark goes to see Lionel about the Summerholt treatment - and Mr. Glover still has a facial wound from his fight with Jonathan two episodes back, and it's healing, so the continuity is flawless. Lionel accuses Clark of self-interest in stopping the memory recovery process, but truly, they both have things they would rather remain forgotten. Clark denies this, until Lionel shows the security camera footage from Belle Reve, with Lex whispering, "I know your secret, Clark."

Lionel sees Lex about his Summerholt treatment, urging him to stop, but Lex sees motivation for Lionel. An intriguing and well-shot transition to the past occurs, with Lex secretly observing his mother and Lionel with newborn Julian. Lillian is having difficulties of her own - she fears what will happen to her children by Lionel's mistreatment - and she wants a divorce. Lex recalls another scene - watching his baby brother, he tried to stop Julian from crying - Lionel saw that Julian was dead, and blamed Lex, in a rage striking young Lex to the floor - whereupon he awakens in the present on the floor. Lex ejects Lionel.

Lionel bursts in on the Kents - he and Clark discuss Lex and his treatment and the prospect of Lex being committed to Belle Reve again. Clark tries to intervene with Dr. Garner at Summerholt, but that green fluid - well, it's not easy being green. Surely the critics will question why Clark approaches anything resembling meteor rock - but this is only a minor weakness in the whole production. Garner's guys club Clark down, and strap him to the green-tank gurney. The betrayer is revealed - Lionel set up Clark, and has a deal with Garner to end the treatments for Lex, and begin studying Clark.

Lionel will supply the questions to be posed to Clark, while Lex is turned away at the Summerholt entry. But Lex calls Lionel and pulls a pretty good ruse - "I remember everything." Darn, we're getting so close to some revelations I almost wish Lionel could get a few answers out of Clark. Lionel leaves, but Garner decides to continue the experiment - and Clark does not do well immersed in a tank of kryptonite. What is his earliest memory? A flash to Krypton - and his departure for Earth, which he remembers even as an infant. His only response is to yell "Lara." Clark's body reacts to the fluid - causing an explosion - and Lex enters the lab to find everyone dead or injured, except Clark. Look who rescues whom! Lex drains the tank - Clark slowly recovers.

Later, at the farm, Lex comes by - but Clark is not at all grateful for the rescue. Lex identifies Lionel as the betrayer, but now Clark must play off both Lex and Lionel - either could be a great threat, and the writers have created an interesting subtlety in this dilemma. Lex pledges never to become his father, will never sacrifice Clark. But another memory flashes for Lex - he hears his brother Julian suddenly stop crying - and runs to the bedroom, finding Lillian over the crib with a pillow. She's having a break of her own, and Julian is gone...and Lex is set up to take the blame. Is Lex now free of this guilt?

The news reports Dr. Garner comatose after the lab accident, so he's not out of the series yet. Lex and Lionel meet again, Lionel claiming he knew nothing of Clark being held for experimentation by Garner. Lex brings up his memory of Julian's death - but Lionel wants to keep it in the past. At last Lex can free himself - he did not kill Julian, he declares, while Lionel continues to deny it - he saw Lex over Julian's crib. Lex took the blame, he says, to protect his mother, who otherwise would have been sacrificed by Lionel, who finally begins to see this as the truth, and Mr. Glover acts out this stunning news to perfection. But it is too late for them - Lionel cannot make up for a lifetime of estrangement and abuse...and Lex cannot now accept Lionel's love.

In the finale, Clark tells Martha about his memory of his mother - knowing her name, and her fear at sending her son across the galaxies - this means much to Clark. And Martha reveals that Clark's first word was "Lara," but she and Jonathan never understood it's origin. And a mother's love never dies.

High expectations met in full. "Memoria" is a memorable episode, with powerful drama, series-high revelations, and moving scenes of family and love. Even with only half the regular cast, everything is done well - lighting, musical score, direction, dialog, a gripping production. Re-run rating B+.
  • Forget Them, Not

Memoria-Believing that key information about his father's past was lost when his memory was erased, Lex decides to join an experimental program with Dr. Garner to regain the information so he can turn his father over to the FBI. Knowing that Lex will discover his secret if he regains his memory, Clark tries to stop him but is caught by Lionel and the doctor and exposed to the same radical treatment so that Lionel can solve the mystery of Clark's past.

A dark and powerful episode that rivals "Shattered" as the best of the series, "Memoria" is filled with developments and revelations from the past that push the series in a significant direction. At the heart of the episode once again is Lex as we go depper into his troubled past. I loved the storyline of Lex going to SummerHold and doing experiments to unlock supressed memories from the past. It's completely in Lex's character and Dr. Garner continues to make for an interesting villian-ish character.

The flashbacks have to be some of the most stunning scenes of the series as the direction is flawless. I loved the way how the present and Lex's memories seem to fade into each other as it provides a very dramatic effect. The flashbacks themselves are well written and guest star Wayne Dalglish who plays young Lex is effective. You really do feel bad for Lex as his childhood seemed so lonely and painful. The most shocking of the flashbacks is the revelation that Lex's mother killed his brother Jullian. It's a truly disturbing and chilling moment as Lillian kills her baby and heartbreaking as lex took the blame to protect his mother. Alisen Down gives a moving performance as Lillian Luther as she's a woman struggling to protect her family under the tyrant that is her husband, Lionel Luthor. John Glover also turn out a brilliant performance as usual as you can see how disconnect Lionel is to his family but at the same time the grief he conveyed for Jullian's death showed that Lionel is actually capable of love. The episode also has some great twists and turns like Clark being betrayed by Lionel as Dr. Garner forces him to reveal his earliest memory. This development is excellent as we get a glimpse of Clark as a baby being sent away by his parents. It's a tense moment as Clark yells out his real mother's name and causes an explosion at SommerHolt. I love how the episode not only is a development for Lex but for Clark as he gets to remember a bit of his biological mother. It a truly touching final scene between Martha and Clark as she tells him Lara was his first word as well as a mother's love never dies. Another amazing scene is Lex's confession to Lionel about how Jullian truly died. Both Micheal Rosenbaum and John Glover steal the show as Lionel almost tries to apoloize yet Lex turns away knowing his father will never truly love him. Captivating, touching, well written and superbly acted, "Memoria" is yet again shows how truly remarkable Smallville is when the writers create dark storylines that give the characters depth.
  • In an attempt to get the lost seven weeks of his memory back, Lex teams up with Dr. Garner for an experimental program. When Clark tries to stop him, Lionel and Dr. Garner expose him to the same radical treatment so Lionel can learn more about Clark.

While dropping off the Talon payroll late at night, Lana finds Lex in the midst of a trance, having a very realistic childhood flashback. When Clark learns of the encounter, he confronts Lex, and discovers that Lex is working with Dr. Garner (see DELETE) to get the lost seven weeks of his memory back. Worried about his friend, Clark visits Lionel and asks him to shut down the Summerholt Institute, but Lionel refuses, and instead tries to talk Lex out of undergoing Dr. Garner's experimental treatment. When Lex decides to accelerate his treatment, due to Clark and Lionel's "collective meddling", Clark rushes to save his friend, but is instead exposed to the experimental treatment by Lionel and Dr. Garner.

Let me just say that I absolutely loved, *loved* the flashbacks, especially Clark's earliest memory. I also loved the Lex and Lionel dynamic in this episode, so much more interesting than in the previous ep. I mean, viewers finally learn why Lionel treats his son the way he does, and why their relationship is so strained. I won't spoil anything, but I will give the episode five out of five stars.

Highlights include: Lex's flashback to Excelsior Academy; Clark following Lex to Summerholt Institute, as well as Lex's memory of his twelfth birthday; Lex's impromptu flashbacks with Lionel; Clark tricked by Lionel and Dr. Garner into undergoing the experimental "treatment"; Clark's earliest memory of his parents; Lex saving Clark from a tank of liquid kryptonite; Lex and Clark's conversation in the barn, as well as Lex's final flashback; Lex and Lionel's conversation about baby Julian; and Martha and Clark's conversation about Lara, Clark's birth mother.
  • Great Episode

Lana Lang witness Lex Luthor having a nightmare with his baby brother Julian in the edge of the balcony of his castle and saves him from falling. She tells Clark Kent, who finds that Lex is submitting to an experimental treatment with Dr. Garner (Martin Cummins) in the Summerholt Institute trying to retrieve his seven weeks of lost memory. Clark looks for Lionel Luthor trying to save his friend, but he is betrayed by Lionel and delivered to Dr. Garner to reveal his secret in a kryptonite memory tank. "Memoria" is certainly the best episode of the Third Season of Smallville. The dramatic story discloses the traumatic childhood of Lex, what happened with Julian and the reason with Lionel hates him so much. Clark also recollects his mother Lara in Krypton, and her concern with him. In the end, we see two opposite origins, one full of love and the other full of hate. Consequently, a hero and a villain are born.
  • Clark and Lex's past come into focus through experimental procedures at summerholt, revealing key elements to both their characters future.

One of my absolute favorites so far. Despite the lack of action in favor of more drama (which was completly necessary and fitting in an episode that reveals so much of Clark and Lex's past) this episode completly hit the spot and was completly one of the best yet. Episodes like this make me truely sad that lex eventually becomes Clark's enemy. He is such a great friend and an amazing, caring person thats been through so much that its difficult to imagine not caring for his character in the future. Revealing episodes do tend to be my favorite for the whole superman story is why I watch this show, so if thats what your looking for, this episode shows how clark and lex especially have developed.
  • Lex has flashbacks to his childhood because he is taking treatment to regain the 7 weeks of memories he lost. While Clark and Lional are concerned with Lex's healt, but Lionel is also concerned with something else.

This episode is really great because it shows some really great flashbacks to when Julian was born and what Lionel really wants with Clark. This episode has some great acting by Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover, especially the last scene where Lex tells Lionel that he didn't kill Julian but someone else did. Another really good part in the episode was when Clark remembers being sent from Krypton to Earth in a spaceship and both of his parents are there. This episode was a really good episode in the sense of showing Lex's past without putting it outside of the context of the episode.
  • Amazing acting and amazing writing.

As much as I'd always hated the character of Lionel Luther this episode reminds me just how much I love John Glover's acting abilities. The exchanges between Lionel and Lex are so pivotal to Lex Luther's story line. At the beginning of the episode I find that I begin to feel compassion for Lionel Luther. Then as the episode progresses and he puts Clark in the tank I have renewed hatred for his character but then the final scene between Lionel and Lex occurs and I again find that I'm actually feeling compassion for Lionel Luther again. I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not but at the end of the episode when the music is playing before it fades to the credits there seems to be some morse code. Unfortunately I'm not at all adept in morse code.
  • An episode dedicated completely to Lex...

This episode, though not being officially about something about Superman, it is certainly something about Lex, which is cool. Lex past was full of suffering and disgrace, and in this episode we manage to see a part of this, and I think that the reason why I liked this episode, it because of all what Lex suffers in his childhood. First the death of his brother, while Lex is in a sort of trance and eventually begins shouting "Julian! Julian!" which was his little brother, and then Clark discovers that Lex is under a Summerholt Institute treatment in order to reveal the seven weeks that he spent on the asylum, but instead he reveals black spots of his childhood that he does not want to revive, and while he tries to, he remembered that he was not the one who killed Julian, but in fact it was his mother, and it also reveals something a little about Clark, in which he discovers his mother's name and a little about his past. This is my favorite season three episode after "Exile" this episode is so cool...
  • Awesome.

Lex Luthor volunteers on an experimental treatment with a scientist named Dr. Garner who can recover his memories which were erased during his electro shock therapy. When Clark learns about this he tries to stop Lex from getting the treatment, but he gets caught by Lionel who gets the doctor to subject him with the same treatment so Clark will reveal his secret to Lionel. This is another great episode. When Clark's secret is in danger of getting revealed to the wrong people is the very core of this episode. The drama makes the story really exciting and engaging. Great episode.
  • Key events in Lex and Clark’s respective histories come to the forefront when each, Lex willingly and Clark unwillingly undergo a risky Summerholt Institute memory recovery treatment.

Last time Lana got hurt because Lex went crazy she blamed it on Clark thinking he was too dangerous to be around. I wonder if Lionel made his wife Lilian marry him or how did she ever find any good in Lionel to marry him? Clark learns the name of his mother and he leaves a hug mess for everyone to clean up. The storyline with Lex wanting to find his lost seven weeks was good but it has nothing to do with Clark. Then I guess it’s what makes up Lex’s personality and how we know he will become.
    Good quote:
    Clark: “When your heart has been through something like that the scares just don’t magically disappear.”
  • Great episode! Memoria!

This episode is really cool, and is one of the best episodes of Season 3, finally something about Lex from the previous sequel about the asylum. Lex sommets himself to a memory treatment in order to recover the seven weeks that he lost while he was crazy, but ends up remembering things from his past, especially about his little brother Julian, later things get pretty much different when Clark tells Lionel for help, and ends up being betrayed and remembering something on his own. Really cool!
  • The heart of Smallville in this superb episode.

This is probably Smallville's finest hour. With smashing acting amidst a complex and fascinating storyline, Smallville's creators give their audience the goods in this series classic from the third season.

The story is easy to follow but is much more complicated than it at first appears. Lex is obsessed with regaining his memories that were taken away from him (with authority from his father) a few months ago (Refer to Shattered/Asylum). He agrees to go under risky and cutting-edge scientific experiments to regain repressed or forgotten memories from his past. In the process, he regains many of his repressed memories from youth -- including the circumstances surrounding his young brother's death.

What at first seems to be an accident at the hands of Lex turns into something much more tragic and haunting. In Memoria, we learn of the true nature of the Lex/Lionel relationship and the fury that seems to fuel both sides endlessly. We learn why Lex has always wanted the love of his father while still maintaining a bitter hatred toward his behavior and actions. Meanwhile, we learn why Lionel continues to pummel Lex with challenge and indifference. Finally, Lex learns the truth regarding Julian, and the anger he has toward his father is now complete. The revelation changes everything, and the ongoing feud between Lex and Lionel now turns into full out war.

This transition is gloriously presented. The scenes of young Lex, his mother Lillian, and Lionel are haunting, sometimes downright disturbing. Many of these flashbacks (which, of course, are revealed during the course of the scientific experiments) plant the seeds to explain the ongoing feud between Lex and Lionel -- but even here we know that (1) there is a mutual love each of them have and (2) there is an ominous horror that is about to be revealed. When (2) finally is realized, the mutual love evaporates. Lionel gains a greater respect for Lex while Lex has eradicated his need for fatherly care. Alfred Gough and Miles Millar have developed a psychological mind game in intelligent and suspenseful fashion. This episode, especially regarding the events of Lex and Lionel, contains the heart of the show.

Both Lionel and Clark have an interest in preventing Lex from continuing with the experiments. Clark turns to Lionel for help. Lionel is quick to understand what some of Clark's intentions really are -- a wonderfully suspenseful scene between the two of them when Lionel reveals his knowledge that Clark indeed is hiding something from the world. Lionel uses Clark's interest to serve his purposes (as usual). When Clark confronts Dr. Garner about his procedure, the kryptonite-filled tank (used in the procedure) renders Clark weakened. Dr. Garner then straps him into the tank and forces Clark to remember his first memory.

It is of his father and his mother Lara placing Clark in the spaceship that would bring him to Earth. Clark learns that his mother was a good and caring woman, wanting only love to be received at Clark's arrival on Earth. This is too much for Clark, who realizes that his parents may indeed have been good people. This prompts a tremendous scene between Clark and Martha, where Martha reveals that Clark's first word was Lara. Good stuff.

As far as writing goes on this series, this episode is top of the line. The episode was inundated with one-on-ones and featured grandiose pauses in dialogue to emphasize the suspense. Tremendous.

This is also Miles Millar's directing debut on the series, and he does a magnificent job. Camera work was first-rate (I especially enjoyed the slow but steady movements of the camera in the "broad" scenes as well as the intense close-ups on the characters during certain personal revelations). Production design was fantastic (What a great set for the laboratory), and the use of colors to emphasize mood in this episode was nothing short of extraordinary.

As far as Smallville goes, this episode is top-of-the-line. A little bit of action but a lot more drama and heart. This episode would forever change Smallville and reveals what is at the heart and soul of the hero and the villain.
  • Things could have been so different between us...

Could've, would've, should've.

I applaud the writers of Smallville and Michael Rosenbaum because they achieved the impossible. They made us feel sorry for the villain of the story. Even better, they made us understand him.

What is that they always say in movies? We are what we make ourselves to be.
    Lex Luthor the man is as much a result of his father's "unique brand of nurture" as much as he is the result of his own choices. This is a very intense character, and I doubt any other actor could have rendered that intensity as great as Michael Rosenbaum did.

• One of the best episode in Season 3. More drama than action.

i really liked this episode. One of the best episodes along with very first episodes of The Third Season. Here, each charecter is open-minded and doesn't afraid to tell truths. There are more dramatic themes than action sequences and there are a lot of thing that are revealed in that episode. Never miss...
  • Great episode. The final scene between Clark and Martha where they talk about Lara had me in tears when I watched it.

Great episode, definitely one of season 3's highlights. We learn (finally) why Lionel doesn't act lovingly towards Lex, and when Lex reveals that his mother, not Lex, killed Julian, John Glover's performance was brilliant. I am surprised that considering that Clark wasn't just exposed to Kryptonite but submerged in it, especially once he passes out, that he doesn't ingest some of it, causing him to start to die like he did back in season 2. Instead, when Lex takes him out of it, he recovers like normal despite the fact he was in it for so long. The last scene where Clark reveals Lara's name and Martha tells him the importance of that name was such a moving scene. Add in the great "My Immortal" song by Evanescence, and that scene had me in tears, something I don't normally do.

I give it a 4.5...out of 5.
  • Lex saves Clark!

Lex actually saves Clark's life in this one! How original. I thought it was clever for Lex to try to regain the past seven weeks of his life back, and instead, repressed memories come back from his childhood. We finally found out exactly what happened to Julian and why Lionel was repressed emotionally for Lex. There's also the chance of turning over a new leaf between their relationship. I thought it was really clever to put Clark in the position of having his childhood memories come back be putting him in the same vat that was used for Lex. It was haunting of Clark to yell out "Lara." This is very well thought out, intriguing and thought-provoking episode, that maintains consistency with the historic roots of Superman, right in line with the usual high quality storylines from this series. Keep it coming!
  • Lex tries to regain his memory!

Believing that key information about his father’s (John Glover) past was lost when his memory was erased, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) decides to join an experimental program with Dr. Garner (guest star Martin Cummins) to regain the information so he can turn his father over to the FBI. Knowing that Lex will discover his secret if he regains his memory, Clark (Tom Welling) tries to stop him but is caught by Lionel and the doctor and exposed to the same radical treatment so that Lionel can solve the mystery of Clark's past.

Highlights
    This episode Lex Luthor recalls who killed his baby brother and it shockingly turns out to be his mother apparently driven insane by Lionel Luthor. All the years since, Lionel had mistakenly thought Lex was responsible. When Lex tells his father what really happened toward the end of the episode he realizes all the years have been lost to him. For had he known the truth, his relationship between his son Lex would have been different, or at least this is what he sorrowfully says to Lex.

Clark gets a memory treatment and recalls the moment before he is sent from the planet Krypton to Earth.

• Simply the best episode of the show

Spoilers

Well, this episode certainly takes the cake. Having only watched up to this point in the series, and can't say it is the best they've done, but it is certainly the best they've done up until this point. The truth about Lionel's hatred for Lex is finally uncovered, and we find out it was all in vain.
    The episode finishes with two tear-jerking moments; both between parent and child. John Glover plays his part magnificently as Lionel discovers that Lex, in fact, did not murder his baby brother Julian but it was his mother that did it. And all these years, Lionel had beleived it was Lex. The scene certainly pulled the heart-strings, as the viewer desperately wants the two to reconcile their differences despite all that Lionel has done throughout the series, only to have Lex be the one to walk away.
    In the second tear-jerking scene, Clark tells his mother about his biological mother, Laura. After thinking both of his real parents had been monsters, he discovers this was untrue about his mother and the only thing she feared was that Clark would not be loved. He says that he can't beleive he forgot about her, and Martha tells him he didn't, that Laura was his first word. They'll be hard pressed to outdo this one.
  • Memoria is a surprisingly good and interesting episode of Smallville.

I usually don’t like Smallville very much. I stopped watching after about 12 episodes (S1). However, when I heard that James Marsters would be a recurring character in S5 I decided to watch as many eps as possible before S5 starts. Most of the episodes confirm why I gave up watching a few years back. The storylines are boring and repetitive and most of the characters are boring as well -- Lana especially so. She’s easily one of the most boring characters in television history. Lionel and Lex are the exceptions though. These two are very interesting and well-written characters. A joy to watch.

In Memoria we get a lot of Lex and Lionel and very little of Lana. This is a good start. But the episode itself is without a doubt the best episode of Smallville that I have seen so far. It’s actually very good and engaging. This is as close to brilliant as this show has ever come (I haven’t seen any episodes after this though). The scenes with Lionel and Lex are well-written, well-acted and engrossing. I loved these glimpses into Lex’s troubled childhood. The scenes were shot in a way that made them feel almost haunting and the music was fantastic. To be honest, I didn’t very much mind the last scene between Clark and his mother either. Most of the time I find those scenes rather boring, but this scene was almost touching.

How a boring episode like Crisis could be rated as highly as this episode (8.9) is beyond me. *This* is how it should be done!
  • Lex wants to recover his memories that he lost when he was at Belle Reve but does not relize that his action put Clark in a dangerous position.

This was by far one of the best episodes of Smallville. Micheal's (Lex) performance was beutiful, and when Clark finally sees is biological mother it was a wonderfully moment. I think the scene where Lex confronts Lionel about what he has remember about Julian you could really see the anguish on Lionel's face. And also the scene where Clark talks to Martha in the loft it was trully heart warming. I think if every episode was written this way Smallville would be one of the top shows on Television. Simply put this episode was wonderfully written and beutifully done.