Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 08, 2008 on The CW

• Lex is getting closer to know Clark's secret

There's a lot of story here. We find out that Jor-el sent something to destroy "the traveler" if he was going to be controlled. Which Edward Teague was going to do since Clark never killed the evil which is Lex. Lex now knows where to find everything that he has been searching for his whole life. Unanswered questions will be answered and judging from the previews for the season finale next week, Lex will be able to control "the traveler" which is Clark and all hell will break lose. I like how Lionel's name was mentioned a few times and they didn't just forget about him. The only thing that I didn't really care for was Jimmy. He wasn't really necessary for this episode. But other than him, this episode was a real eye opener and my favorite part of this episode was when Edward Teague ripped off Tom Welling's shirt with the sword. What a body that man has. I was praying that he would rip his pants off also!
  • So the long, lost Edward Teague, father of Jason Teague (the coach who was Lana's boyfriend during S4, and husband of Genevieve Teague) is still alive and protecting Swann's secrets about Clark.

I loved this episode because of its resolution of the VERITAS story-line and the appearance of an otherwise mysterious character: Edward Teague.

Hiding from Lionel to prevent ending up as his wife and son, Teague kept the secrects of Veritas and Swann's knowledge, helping Clark realize that Lex is evil and must be dealt with.

Clark, still hesitant of taking a life, comes to Teague after he attacks Lex and is confronted by the man who believes so firmly in the Light VS Dark conflict that he is willing to sacrifice Clark to prevent Lex from controlling him.

Of course, Chloe rescues Clark and he escapes but Lex still finds the last piece of the puzzle that reveals the location of the FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE.

And so, we near the FINAL (as far as this season goes)conflict between Lex and Clark in the next episode... Artic.
  • Jason's dad.

In the beginning, I didn't quite get the episode, I wasn't really sure what to think f it since I didn't know where the whole thing was going. Lana is still sick. Kara magically disappears. She isn't mentioned. Chloe bails on Jimmy some more. It turns out Jason's dad(Edward) wanted to kill Clark, sacrifice him. this guy is nuts. Chloe saves the day oddly in this episode, Lex deciphers the clock and gives him coordinates to the fortress. I wasn't sure if the sacrifice controlled him or going to the fortress does. A great cliffhanger, boring in the beginning but made up for it in the end. Amazing!
  • Da Smallville code?

A quite different but special episode of Smallville.It featured only 4 of the 8 characters,so everyone had a chance to shine.Clark had some exploring to do and it was good to see that his new found purpose in Apocalypse carried on here.He still got himself into trouble by being somewhat naive but that just shows that he is not Superman yet.Chloe was at it again as Clark's trustworthy sidekick who came to Clark's rescue.She was equally effective as Jimmy's naive girlfriend once he began exploring the caves.It was a nice touch to bring back the Naman story,the only downside being that they torw down the cave set in order to create the Fortress of Solitude.Jimmy was given a chance to get out of the romance stories that he was into this year and he did well.The one who really shone was Lex Luthor.This was the second to last episode we saw of him,but in reality it was Michael Rosenabaum's final chance to display his immense talent since in Arctic he was too busy with other stuff.He displayed his emotions regarding his father and how the Traveler afeected their relationship perfectly.I really miss him in Season 8.The episode was nicely directed with former director Ken Biller making a one-time reappearance.He gave the episode a Da vinvi code feel and it never missed a beat.That was no suurprise since Biller has directed other masterpieces such as Shattered.Overall a brilliant episode that would become difficult to top the next week.
  • Lex is attacked and wounded with symbols cut into his chest - Clark recognizes them as kryptonian, a message for him. The cryptograph mystery leads to a cathedral in Montreal, and an unexpected survivor of Veritas.

Lex continues his pursuit of the Veritas secret control of the Traveler, using an antiquities dealer to examine the cryptograph found in the Zurich safety deposit box. The storyline becomes a "Quest" for one object after another - first it was the keys to the box, then the object in the box, and now, it seems, this will lead to yet another mysterious object. Just when you think the Grail has been found, the writers slip in another complication.

After the dealer leaves, Lex is assaulted by the bank manager who attacked him in Zurich - we have to assume he's someone dedicated to protecting the Veritas secrets. He slices into Lex's chest and leaves him on the floor. At the hospital, Lex recognizes the sutures as forming symbols, and believes the assailant is after the cryptograph.

Jimmy shows Chloe photos of the wounds on Lex. Nice tension buildup as Chloe knows enough to understand that the symbols mean something - to Clark. He reads "Traveler," and "Saviour," which may mean a member of Veritas has survived. The manager has found the dealer, still examining the cryptograph, and receives instructions from an unseen conspirator to retrieve it, but the attempt fails as Lex arrives in time to commit another murder. Two guards and the manager - three bodies to dispose of - no small task, even for Lex.

Examining the photos of Lex again, Clark discerns another symbol - for "Sanctuary," and some too-quick insight has him and Chloe looking for the patron saint of Travelers - or Saint Christopher, and Chloe quickly identifies the only cathedral by that name - in Montreal. So some pretty big deductions here, but we'll go along with it - it's better than a couple recent episodes where the entire cast acted clueless. If I complained about that, I can't complain when they become brilliant.

The dealer has identified the maker of the cryptograph - a German watchmaker named Dietrich Brauer, who went into seclusion after being commissioned to manufacture a magnificent clock, which disappeared after WW II, resurfacing only recently as a gift from a wealthy philanthropist - Dr. Swann. Well, that revelation brings Lex full circle - and he now knows the clock's location. But Clark arrives first, easily finding kryptonian symbols along the rim of the baptismal font.

Clark is found by Edward Teague (Robert Picardo), the last survivor of Veritas, now serving as a brother at the Cathedral. He kneels before Clark, ready to serve the Traveler, believing him to be the next Saviour. Teague confirms that Lionel Luthor killed the Queens and Teague's family to gain sole control of the Traveler. One clue to control exists in the cathedral, unknown to anyone - but Lex. Clark has no intention of being worshipped, or accepting a destiny defined by Veritas - in anger, Teague turns on Clark, using kryptonite (why would he have it so close by?)

Lex is near the truth - he tells the reluctant dealer that his father's obsession with the Traveler made him a virtual orphan - and the cryptograph will give him the answer to his life. The dealer continues reassembly of the mechanism. Teague prepares to sacrifice Clark in an ancient Kryptonian ritual to prevent Lex from gaining control of a being who would become the destroyer of Earth. More chest-carving ensues; the symbol he slices into Clark is the El family "S," and Clark bleeds as a mortal.

Lex has landed, and in the cathedral, he finds a grandfather clock, inserts the cryptograph into the clockworks, and...stand back! It starts to play, as the gears mesh, and Lex listens and watches quietly. Is this finally the scene in which Lex discovers the truth about Clark? Then the clock hands and face move, revealing another shield-shaped object - somehow Lex knows this is the key to the next step. But Teague enters and tells Lex he is too late - why bother with Lex if he is confident that he has done away with Clark?

Teague - "If there is no Traveler, there can be no Destroyer," and a battle with Lex begins. The rescuer arrives - it's Chloe, strolling in to spot Clark near death. She drains the lethal fluid - Clark's healing is instantaneous. He intervenes in the battle, saving both Lex and Teague, but does not realize that Lex dropped the shield, only to find it after Clark disappears.

More obscure deductions come from Lex and his bodyguard - from a small island off the coast of Scotland. An old book reveals that a wealthy American bought a castle on the island and moved it to the U.S. - it was Lionel - and the castle is the Luthor mansion. Lex believes that the next clue must be in his own home, something Lionel never found.

Chloe struggles to keep Jimmy from getting too much information from the caves and about kryptonian symbols - she has to deflect his interest just as Clark has had to deflect Lana for so many years. Cave symbols infer a final battle between the good and evil, with the outcome unknown. This is an obvious lead-in to the next episode, and a good tension-builder as the season approaches the conclusion of the Quest by Lex.

"Some day you are going to have to play God," Chloe tells a reluctant Clark, who has yet to formulate a plan to deter Lex, the only real threat. Lex has the mansion searched in detail to find the next step, finally realizing that a Scottish folk song has lyrics giving clues - "above the hearth of home shines the north star." And in the fireplace mantel, Lex spots a symbol matching the shield - behind it a cloth bag - containing an octahedron with a space for the shield. When it's inserted, the object animates - projecting a translucent sphere - the Earth, with a shrinking circle pinpointing a location in the north of Greenland. The next stop for Lex.

"Quest" is a stirring episode, almost overloaded with developments, and some of the complications approaching mumbo-jumbo, but it all works largely because of the relentless pursuit of the truth by Lex. He is more single-minded than Clark, who has yet to accept his destiny without reservation. This difference means that Lex will continue to thwart Clark and move closer to discovering the Traveler, while Chloe and Clark will be on the defensive. Clearly this episode is essential viewing by Smallville fans, and is now part of four episodes that should be seen together, starting with "Traveler" and "Veritas." These are some of the best of the series, re-run rating B+.
  • A really boring episode.

Is it just me or is Smallville just going all around the place? Something about the current plot just makes me feel uneasy towards the show. The story is sort of out there as of now and characters are just popping out from everywhere without proper introduction. I think the show is moving on a much faster pace than I hoped it would.

The story takes us further into the mysteries of Veritas and it seems like their linage hasn't quite ended yet. Lex is still madly obsessed over getting control over the traveler, but little does he know who this traveler is.
  • A decent episode

This episode briefly introduces us to Edward Teague. It was puzzling how the guy praised Clark one minute but wanted him dead the next. It happened to quickly and didn't really make sense. I liked Lex in this episode. He has a single-minded determination to find the Traveler and he will not let anything sway him. Lex is the ultimate in evil and Clark is the ultimate in good. Clark is just about the only person who could stop Lex but he just doesn't have it in him to let Lex die or to take him down himself.

Chloe and Jimmy are causing me to feel bewildered. I do like Jimmy but Chloe's character is just changing too much. She doesn't seem nearly as tenacious as she was when she was working for the silly little high school newspaper. I know that she wants to protect Clark, but we need some of the old Chloe. I am also sick of Oliver Queen being mentioned whenever it's convenient. I mean, I love Green Arrow but if you can't get the guy to be in an episode, he shouldn't be mentioned. When Chloe shows up to help Clark, she says that Oliver Queen let her use his jet or something. It's stupid. If he knew that Clark was in danger, he'd come or he'd send security guards or something. I'm sure he wouldn't let Chloe walk into danger like that.

Even though I'm annoyed with some of the stuff in this episode, I have to concede that the episode was pretty good. Not great but good. It's a definite improvement over previous episodes.
  • over the top

Personally speaking I don't like the whole Veriatas / Traveler storyline, they kinda make Clark out to be Jesus. Despite the blasphemy this episode was OK, and my score was very generous. Jason Teagues father popping out of nowehere really was a bit Soap Opera 'esk. His reaction to clarks reluctance to accept his destiny, I saw a mile away. After hearing that Clark knew what Lex Luthor was and what he will be to him in the future, Father teague set out kill Clark so he won't be used against mankind. Blah Blah Blah, Chloe saves Clark life and Clark does nothing to Lex. Very boring.
    I really didn't like this episode, but i can't really explain why. Anyway its still worth seeing if you want the next episode to make sense.
  • Better then some of this season's episodes, but what is with all the plot holes.

This was definately an exciting episode in my opinion. We delve deeper into the mythology of the Smallville story which goes back several seasons, including the cave walls from season 3 I think, and Lex remembering his father had moved the castle to Smallville brick for brick. Interesting idea on how Lex finally discovers what he's been looking for for so long. THis episode had quite a few intriguing ideas. Very Da Vinci code like as many have stated on other reviews. I liked it.

Of course it could've been one of the finer episodes of Smallville if not for all the plot holes. THe biggest two that stand out is reporter Jimmy and him being able to get certain pictures of Lex. FIrst let's discuss Jimmy as reporter. He's supposed to be just a photographer? I can't remember him ever doing anything along the lines of breaking such a story himself without assistance. This was where they needed Lois. THis would've been a perfect opportunity for her to discover what Jimmy learns, but no. And will someone explain to me how Jimmy was able to get those pictures of Lex. From the angle they were taken, there was no way he would've been able to do that with bodyguards surrounding Lex the way they were when they were taking him to the hospital. I also have a small complaint with Chloe getting to Montreal so quickly. Okay it was explained, but are you telling me Oliver Queen always has a plane waiting to take CHloe wherever she wants to go? That's a little hard to swallow.

Other then those blatant plot holes, which Smallville is very well known for, I enjoyed the idea of an existing member of Veritas and the way Clark's destiny was intwined into the story. We were given some more information on the series arcs from season's past. It is good to see that the writers haven't forgotten those things. It seems to be leading up to a very interesting season finale, but not series finale since Smallville was given an eighth season. Personally, I think they should end the series after next week. With the main writers leaving, as well as two of the series biggest stars, (Kristen Kreuk, and Michael Rosenbaum) it's going to be very difficult to keep the series going. Of course Lana (Kruek) Should've been gone about two season's ago, but Lex (Rosenbaum) will be really missed.
  • great episode

lex gets attacked by someone who leaves a kryptonian mark on his chest. clark kent finds out that the message leads him to a church in montreal. when clark gets there, he finds a member of the the veritas group who is kinda crazy and he actually endangers clark's life. chloe comes to the rescue to get clark out of danger. it's a really exciting episode, there's a beat of dan vinci code in here, but it's really exciting, i enjoyed watching this from start to finish, i can't wait for the next episode. i'm so excited about it, the episode's leading to something really exciting.
  • Lex's journey takes one step closer to its conclusion

The introduction of the Veritas plot element has all but saved this season of "Smallville". This episode is the perfect example of why this is so: details from the very beginning of the series are organically given a shared context by the cohesive nature of Veritas itself. I still maintain that the idea should have always been in the background, slowly but surely revealed over time, but better late than never.

One element from the second season that I always wanted to see explored was the "Naman vs. Sageeth" myth from the Kawatche caves. It was strongly hinted at the time that it related to the future struggle between Clark and Lex, but the writers seemed to drop it completely. The emergence of Veritas has finally brought it back to the story in a logical manner. Now that Lex has embraced the darkness, his oft-overlooked genius gives him the insight and drive to become a true threat to Clark.

The two of them are on parallel paths in this episode, and the real joy is watching how they manage to circle each other without an actual confrontation. Clark understands that Lex is now evil and a threat, but his basic sense of decency prevents him from standing idly by while Lex is killed. It underscores the difference between both men, since Lex is on the quest for the sole purpose of controlling what he sees as the primary alien threat.

Lex gets the better end of the questing deal in this episode, without a doubt. The character has truly come into focus lately (odd moments of apparent compassion notwithstanding), and if this is indeed his exit from "Smallville", then he should be getting this kind of star treatment. As the man holding the legacy of Veritas in his hands, Lex is a true threat. The only question is whether or not the writers will come up with a rational reason for Lex to forget all he's learned.

Clark, on the other hand, gets caught in the middle of a Edward Teague's apparent madness, which leads to a bit of a cliché. Would Jor-El have sent a device to destroy the heir of Krypton after going through so much damn trouble to send him to Earth and save his life? As always, Jor-El's motivations are all over the map, and by the time Clark is trapped in the middle of what feels like a "Young Sherlock Holmes" scene, I was once again shaking my head in frustration.

Similarly, I'm not sure what the writers are doing with Chloe lately. It's understandable that they would emphasize the rise of Lois and Jimmy as their respective careers at the Daily Planet approach the levels seen in the comics and films. But must Chloe's passion for journalism disappear to make the case? Why wouldn't she be intrigued, as we would expect after all these years, by Jimmy's discoveries? Perhaps the writers were hedging their bets, based on the protracted contract talks with Allison Mack.

Even with the frustrations, this episode was still one of the best of the season, because the focus on Veritas and Lex kept me more than interested in this prelude to the season finale. Hopefully the writers will end the season (and Lex's arc on the show) on a high note, so my interest in the eighth season will be renewed.
  • Hmm..quite exciting yet unfulfiling

Let's take a look at this, considering im watching this while at work and people are swarming all around me, this episode still managed to make me think it was quite worth the risk..

Story was nice, intriguing and left u wanting more, Lex is really stealing the show right now, i wonder if this should be called Lex instead of smallville cos Superman seems to be the least developed character here and all those alien mumbo jumbo is really throwing off the actual agenda of superman which is ..simply saving everyone else. Seems like we have to see Clark's angst and struggles every single episode and damn..its 7 seasons..and i dun even wanna know why he hasnt raced with a boeing yet..

Lone survivor of Veritas..conveniently not dead, knowing loads of krypotnian shyt and the guy before me said..i have waited all my life to serve u..but i got to kill u..just dont work out..u mean u can't talk or advise him more? u waited a damn long time till you're bald and when u see the traveller..u gonna kill him in less than 5 mins..

Chole ..oh chole..choosing to make out? Did i see correctly? Looked to me..Jimmy and her had their roles swapped..and what's with oliver's Jet..super moment shes in the church..saving Clark..who i need to point out..needs to be saved every 3 episodes..

Lastly..Like everyone else pointed out..Lex solved a puzzle that his father..his own FATHER..couldn't solve plus..the clue came from who? His dad again..and where was the final piece of the puzzle? in his own damn all those ppl taking 20hrs..couldnt scan an empty compartment in the wall? Oh please... was exciting to watch..loopholes kept me anticipating..and worried that my colleagues would ask me how come superman still cant fly..and ran all the way to montreal with a GPS in hand....
  • The Glorified Farmboy

Quest-After Lex is attacked by a mysterious stranger, he and Clark both discover the last surviving member of the Veritas group who holds the secret to controlling the Traveler.

Ever since "Traveler", this Veritas storyline has been up and down. It's very intriguing, and I like that the writers are trying yet again to build another storyline around Clark's destiny. But between actual progression in Clark's development and creating continuity errors, this storyline is getting just as confusing as it is interesting. But I found "Quest" to be a dark and effective, not to mention, it's the best penultimate episode of a season since "Calling" back in Season 2. It sets up of "Artic" perfectly as Lex is about to discovery the truth his been waiting 7 years for!

Now for most viewers, this episode might be seen as disturbing and not in a good way. The concept of Veritas gets more controversial as the illusions between Clark and Jesus are so blatant in this episode. While most would find it off putting, it's quite intriguing to me and gives the Veritas plot some complexity. Making Clark seem like the second coming can be seen as a reason for Veritas, that maybe they created their secret society to celebrate his coming. Well, maybe I just find this concept more interesting than the DaVinci Code! The storyline also works, thanks to a great guest starring role for Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager) as the very obvious last member of Veritas, Edward Teague. He shines as the creepy, religiously obsessed man who has hidden away in a church, waiting for the Traveler. Although, the character comes off either very ignorant or misinformed. Blaming Clark for the sacrfice his wife and son made for him? Was that a continuity error? Also, his knowledge of the Krytonian heritage was awkward, why would Swann tell him all that? His disciple? I thought Swann was very secretive about his Kryptonian knowledge, why would he tell Teague?

I love it when Smallville isn't afraid to get dark with its storylines, especially as the chest craving throughout was really gruesome. Clark's looked extremely painful and disgusting. The continunity with the mysterious symbols from the caves, barn doors, and fields with a nice touch, but I don't know how I feel about Jimmy investigating. Here we have a perfect opportunity and role for Lois, yet she's absent! Jimmy is not the reporter! Lois is! Also, Chloe getting to Montreal by Ollie's jet? Does he just have one stored next to his apartment, how did Chloe get a hold of it? Why couldn't the nun and preist have saved him since they kept popping in and out of this episode? It's like for every great continuity in this episode, there was another plot hole. But the best continuity in the episode was Lex remembering his father brought his mansion brick by brick from Scotland when he found out that it holds the last clue to finding the Traveler.

The most impressive devemopment is that Lex's search for the truth is becoming incredibly solid. The reasons behind his ruthlessness were justified, actually, all his done for the past 7 years is justified. Lex's whole life has been reduced to ridicule because of his father's lack of interest in his life. Lex's anger and passion for the truth adds so much development and Micheal Rosenbaum's presence gets harder to watch as his about to make his exit from the series next episode. Lex so close to the truth is nail-biting as he discovers the mysterious globe in his mansion that will lead him to the Fortress of Solitude. Clark better be less BDA than he was in this episode, because the finale looks to find Lex not holding back as he finds out the truth about the Fortress! "Quest" is a great lead in to not only the season finale, but to the final chapter of Lex Luthor's journey on Smallville.
  • This was another solid episode of Smallville. In it we found out the last member of Veritas.

This was another solid episode of Smallville. In it we found out the last member of Veritas. He saw Clark first as a saviour but when he realised he wasn't ready to eliminate Lex he saw him as a threat and was going to kill him by an old Kryptonite ritual.

But Chloe arrives and saves Clark just in time. Meanwhile Lex manages to get the clues needed and finally achieve the object desired by Veritas that can control the traveller.

This should lead to a great season finale and hopefully a great Lex vs. Clark battle. It should be really interesting.
  • EXCELENT!!!!!!

The secret that Veritas has been holding is finally out! This episode was very Da Vinci Code. I understand why some people wouldn't like this, but I loved it!! Lex is one step from finding Clark secret and to get the power to controlling him.. How?? We still don't know but clearly it'll be in the fortress on the season finale, the last battle Clark vs. Lex is coming!!! But the best thing on this episode by far was that they didn't mention Lana not even once!!! Only one thing... I thought Clark was the one with super strength, but I think some of that strength passed to Chloe since she destroyed a very big piece of solid rock with only 2 swings!!! (WHAT THE F*$% WAS THAT???). That's my only complain.

Great episode!!
  • When somebody tries to kill Lex, AGAIN, Clark's life is threaten, AGAIN, but he is saved, AGAIN, from Chloe, and at the end Lex finds in 2 minutes, what other people had been looking for hundreds of years, and he does so, by singing!

Once again this season is filled with silly storyline and unrealistic action. Beginning from Lionel Luthor dismantling a castle and moving it to Smallville and, in the process of doing so, he couldn't even find the kriptonian object right on his fireplace. Then Chloe jumping on the Queen jet, which apparently is way faster than the one Luthorcorp has, since she arrives in Montreal just minutes after Lex, and casually finding Clark as if he wasn't in a hidden cript, and then she destroys the piece of stone with just a crucifix. And furthermore she moves a supposedly heavy stone back on top of the bowl with kryptonyte. It looks to me they run out of good ideas and they just don't know what to do. The overall storyline is not bad, but on everye pisode they add stupid things that don't make any sense at all. I understand it's "Strangeville", but they've crossed that line a little too often lately.
  • Elements of National Treasure, Da Vinci Code, and Rambaldi (from Alias) fill this episode. Guest stars help out some, but Doc. Cottle from BSG doesn't do the best accent, and the religious aspect was taken a little too far. Overall: tense and entertaining

One of the best qualities possessed by the guy who played the German scientist is the richness of his voice and the tersness of delivery with his lines. Throw in a weak character personality and poor substitute of an accent, and the man's best selling point comes into conflict with his acting. I did not like this character at all, though I honestly like the actor.

As usual, Lex makes the show. His insatiable hunger for power and his obsession with trying to figure out Clark's secret (even if he doesn't know it is Clark's secret) drive him to murderous ends. Personally, I don't understand how the producers can let the writers get away with such literary trash as to have Chloe show up at the last minute to save Clark with the excuse that she just borrowed the Queen personal jet. How abut a motive for going to the extreme of borrowing it and flying to Canada? Did she suppose that Clark, being so vulnerable as we all know he is, needed her heroic protection since she decided that "Uh oh.. Lex is getting close." This sort of half hearted effort to resolve a fairly decent plot simply makes me ill.

I did not like the religious aspect being taken that far, but since they stopped short of blasphemy and calling Clark somehow equal to the Christ, I tolerate it and try to set asside me chargrin. (Besides, there is enough religious error and wackiness in the world to make even this plotline plausable.)

I gave it high rating, despite how certain parts irritated me because this episode had just enough intregue to hold my interest to overcome those criticisms. Lex's development as the ultimate bad-guy with self-justifying good intentions has been beautifully portrayed, and always well acted. (I wish I could say the same for the rest of the cast, but they all have thier moments of greatness.)

In any case, there is enough to keep me in gleeful anticipation for the next episode. (Only twenty this year? Or do we just not know what the last ones will be? I know the writer's strike affected most shows to where we only had ten episodes of a large number of shows, but I thought Smallville had overcome those difficulties to provide a full 22 to 24 episode season. Is it being picked up again next year, or is it time to start a new show called "Metropolis" or "Justice League"?)
  • Interesting how this episode worked with only four regulars - Jimmy, Chloe, Lex, Clark. The plot was held together by the "National Treasure" approach of searching for clues.

Lana, Lois, Kara, Brainiac are written out of this one. With Jonathan, Martha, and Lionel gone, not many regulars left to carry on the plot, which centers around Lex searching for clues. It is amazing how quickly he connects the puzzle pieces. The end certainly leaves one wanting to see the next episode. Great show for mystery buffs. The introduction of the remaining Veritas member was well conceived. It added a new character who can be used in future episodes to continue links to Swann and Lionel Luthor. With Michael Rosenbaum's departure, it will be interesting to see how Lex's character is handled next year. Will he be replaced by another actor, or written out with a new nemesis for Clark.
  • Feels like a pre-series finale.

Hello! The show really feels like it's coming to an end. With half the cast leaving, this episode really felt like they were getting ready to wrap it all up in the finale.

Picardo was fun and really looked perfect as a monk type.

I wonder if Lex really let the guy live. I would not expect it since Lex is the type to kill him since he has that knowledge, especially since Lex killed that woman who cleaned up his mess a few episodes back and his own father recently.

So I take it that Lex can somehow control Clark using the fortress huh? What if Clark had not created it? What if he had thrown it to the South Pole?
  • While Chloe seems to have embraced her ugly relationship with Jimmy, Lex, Clark and not-so-dead Edward Teague play some "Da Vinci Code". Which looks a bit like "Talisman" and a lot like boring crap.

Blah-blah-blah, Clark. I'm Edward Teague. I was killed but I'm not dead. I've waited my whole life to serve you, but I regret to inform you that I will have to kill you instead. Blah-blah-blah, Lex. You just play along and let me kill you as well. Blah-blah-blah.

In other news - more destruction of Chloe's character (smoochies with Jimmy instead of investigating? seriously?) and a new minion for Lex, who is especially lame and boring after Gina's departure.

The one and only thing that makes me feel good about this episode is that now there is only one left in this horrible season and there is a chance that it will be the last one for Chloe. Meaning that it may be the last one that I'd have to watch.
  • Ok episode!

I've seen better, but it was good enough anyway. It's getting closer to the end and the final battle approaches, since Lex is leaving and all. So I just thought we would keep hearing from Brainiac and Kara after last week's episode. This one was a little out of the context, except for the finding of Lex. He's getting closer and closer to finding who the traveler is. I hope these final episodes live up to the expectations, because today's episode is just not what was expected. And what's with the GPS?? I never saw superman using a GPS. I mean he can run so fast that I'm sure he can find a cathedral in a city...
  • Great Episode!

10/10 - as we are rocketing towards the end I'm getting excited So many little twists and turns, a lot of references to previous things, Lex being super evil, and CK finally getting it knocked into him that he can no longer escape his destiny.

I'm also sad because I wish SV was like this the majority of the time......there were only a few little WTF moments going on in this episode (how did Chloe find CK in that dungeon???)...... it was action-packed and content heavy and I thought they did a great job with the acting.

The only thing that bothers me is the whole church aspect and making Veritas some kinda cult for Superman....... I mean that was/is just disappointing. I thought I was watching the De Vinici Code for minute with the hidden things and the search for answers mixed in with a cult/church theme........

Other than that - decent episode - next week's looks insane!
  • Does Superman need GPS?

As many have said in earlier comments, this episode seemed very DaVinci Code like. I didn't care for the shameless product placement earyl in the episode. Do you really think that Clark needs a Sprint phone with GPS to find the location the Chloe identified on the computer? Chloe seemed to arrive in Montreal as fast as Clark did. I guess that Oliver Queen has better equipment than Lex. I'm surprised that Oliver didn't show up to help Chole find Clark.

How exactly did Jimmy get those hospital photos of Lex? He didn't have a hidden camera in the hospital and I don't think they would have let him in while doctors worked on Lex.
  • Smallville goes Da Vinci.

...that's Da Vinci Code not Da Vinci genius, unfortunately. Any episode with Lex at the center should be good, and MR is always watchable, but once again the writers are resorting to derivative ideas (DVC, National Treasure etc.) Too many symbols for me, too much carving chests open and too little believability and originality. Well, no point ranting on about what worked and what didn't, this is Smallville and anything goes, or seems to. Next week is the finale, so good chance to bring things together, including the resurrection of Lionel Luthor - this isn't a spoiler, it's a guess, but I bet I'm right. Death isn't permanent in Smallville, so I imagine something like JorEl inhabiting Lionel's body to save him.

Disagree if you will, this wasn't a great episode, even a bit pretentious and imitative. If Michael Rosenbaum really believed the writers knew what they were doing, he wouldn't be leaving. Let's hope the new team can redirect the series - despite my grumblings, I'll be watching.
  • Weak History, Is Chloe the traveller, and shouldnt clark have been dead..

I find this rather silly the episode leads to more confusion about Veritas than need be, plus why didnt Lionel just explain earlier to Clark that he had the power to control em all along , lol.. They also made a mistake in the song Birks of Saint Kilda is actually the song Loch Lomond I know because well I am Scottish.. Anyhow the episode has a lot of mistakes Chloe got to Montreal quicker than Lex in a private Jet, Clark would have been dead the time it took Chloe to get there, and this cliffhanger business gets you anticipating another filler episode for the week after, they really are running out of ideas and arent doing there history how ignorant, Loch Lomond is a iconic Scottish song (
  • A very interesting episode. Particularly for those who like puzzles. Sort of like an Indiana Jones mystery.

The technical studies of the clock mechanism were well done. But zeroeing in on a St. Christopher Church in Montreal seemed way too easy.

Seeing Robert Picardo again in a role was very pleasing but I didn't like his character where he changed from an informative monk to an executioner. I think that could have been written differently.

Chloe certainly got to Montreal AND the church so fast it leaves you wonder if the writers and editors know what they are doing. But her saving of Clark (again) was rather neat using a heavy crucifix to break open the stone sacrifice table and let the liquid Kryptonite pour out. However, I'm sure Catholic followers of St. Christopher are going to howl in anger for desecrating their Saint. And since St. Christopher is also the patron Saint of Lawyers (as well as travelers), I expect to see a lot of trouble ahead.
  • We had a James Bond tribute episode, another one for "It's a wonderful life" now it was "The Da Vinci Code"

Remember those pointless episodes of Lana having a Tattoo on her lower back and going to China for clues... These one it's more of those:

For starters, we don't see what happened to Kara, if she was living in the Kent farm and had an Stroke-like attack when she was about to satisfy a midnight craving, wouldn't Clark know something went wrong with her??? And in the case she went away for some reason before Clark knew something happened in said night...wouldn't Clark mention it at some point or find it odd???

And if the Luthors are so rich and powerful why they have the lousiest security in the world?? Everyone enters and exit as they please in Lex's mansion, not to mention his bodyguards are the worst shooters money can buy, they never hit the target and they always get killed, you get what you pay I guess, if they get killed you don't pay a dime, so intrusions at your house are a minor bother compared to pay those promised high salaries...

One good thing for these episode no "Lana,Lana,Lana" crap liner...

The first part of the episode it's plain boring (like the Da vinci code, by the way) and I found quite annoying all Clark comparison's to God and the free uses of the crosses and symbols for something really useless in the plot (like the Carving in Lex' chest).

Jimmy developing a reporter instinct should have been a surprise if not for the fact that some weeks ago he was a mega spy, kinda a drop off, don't you think?? The kryptonian ritual? kinda cool, but if it was kryptonian, and they use kryptonite to sacrifice somebody, how did the performers avoid dying of kryptonite exposure??? Chloe getting there to save Clark that fast?? C'mon do I have to say it??

The clock thing in Canada? Cool, but where the final piece where located ....Ridiculous, Lionel himself found a castle and transported to America, based on a melody, but never found the Clue to where the piece was??? Totally Absurd!! And Chole sugesting that Clark should kill Lex as a solution???, not saying that it may come to that, but plainly saying that it would be the solution??

Clearly the writers trew all the rules out the window on this episode, and not to mention the Kara incident.

Next week it's the mandatory cliffhanger, and like all seasons I expect to be a great episode, just to be followed by a big letdown next season's premiere...It's a Smallville thing... Could be to much to ask for a 2 hour season premiere so whatever impending doom we face in this season finale doesn't get resolved by a mere mediocre solution...

...I hope it will by I know better, time will tell...
  • ..........SPOILER.........SPOILER..........Lex is putting the pieces together. Solving the puzzle to the traveler. In one moment Jimmy blows pass a season to catch up. No Lana, lois, or Kara.

We start with Lex looking to unlock what he found already. Then Pow! The episode kicks in with Lex being attacked and carved up. Now we have a role reversal with Chloe and Jimmy.
    Jimmy comes in late and Chloe is in bed waiting for him. Jimmy's on the hunt for news. And getting pictures of Lex in the hospital. How he got those pictures is questionable.
    Chloe is not interested until Jimmy shows her. Now it's off to Clark. Who now is looking for answers from lex but, now he's gone. Lex gets his revenge on the guy craving on him. Clark and Chloe now start putting the clues together and Clark heads for Canada. There Clark finds the last member of Veritas. Watch to find out.(ha!ha!) Clark finds out what happens when mortals lose faith in their God. When Lex shows up with his clue, he finds what he's looking for. The writers then take liberty with travel. No jet is that fast. At less no jet for civilians. The fight. The rescue. Now Chloe walks in to Jimmy and candels. Jimmy now explains to Chloe, what it took them an entire season + to explain. Remember the caves and the symbols on the wall. The end comes when Lex finds the Last clue. You will enjoy this episode a lot. The Problems! Clark is still to trusting. What happened to Kara. It looks like they've been saving money for the last show. Wait an see..

Well, Smallville does have its ups and downs, but I am sorry to say this is not its best. I give it an 8.5

One thing that perturbed me was that at the end of the prior episode, it showed Kara having a stroke-like-problem, and falling to the floor.

Was Kara even in this epiosde? No...?

What is with that.

The first part of this episode was quite boring, and I did not enjoy it, yet the second was slightly better, and it saved this episode from being one of the worst. I hope the finale is not like this, or else it would be the worst yet.

I give it a rating of 8.5.

• i think this episode is going to be awesome because Clark may fianally be smart

the reason why i love smallville as whole is because it makes watching television worth my time. one of the reasons why i think that this episode is going to be awesome is because in the video it looks like Lex saw the veritas survivor bow before clark. what i predict will hapen is that the dude will be so obsessed with helping clark that he will end up hurting him and when he finally apologizes, Lex will come and kill him. this is one of the reasons why i hate smallvill Lex always wins at the end, but the thing is that the show altogether and the whole cast are awesome. keep up the good work.