Smallville

The CW (ended 2011)

Gislef

Smallville Fan Reviews (1874)

• BEST SHOW EVER!!!!

This show guys is a masterpiece. It's a long show because of the ten seasons, but believe me, it's worth it a billion times. It's about Superman, but a part of him that you don't know, and you should know. The action is amazing, in every episode there's a new thrilling story, so for you boys don't worry, you'll get enough blood and fights; but I'm a girl, so the thing that i really loved was the relationship between clark and lois, even with lana is awesome, but trust me, with lois is a whole other story. They complete each other so badly that at the end of every episode you wish to have what they have in you're future with a man or a woman, it's unbelivable. Even the actors are amazing, it's like they were born to be Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Lex grown up with this show, and I felt so bad when it ended, and usually I don't care if a serie ends or a movie saga. Guys you must watch it!!! Definally the last seasons are the best, expecially the 10th.
  • Smallville-

During Smallville's run I was playing Mommie to babies and toddlers, so I did not watch consistently. Now that my children are teens and pre-teens, we have all 10 seasons- an investment I rarely make. Overall, Smallville was good television. To me, (and now I'm showing my age) it was the new sci-fi that was a mixture of X-files/Dynasty.

Whenever a popular as well as respected story from a book or comic is brought to the big screen or television screen, the writers and producers had better be thinking ahead and out of the box. Superman is a brand- an extremely popular one since before my generation-the "Superfriends". I questioned some story-line decisions, but overall- I think the constant change in line-up was the main problem.

I have been a huge fan of the Christopher Reeves/Superman. This is when Superman became a character that I'd follow for the rest of my life. I put Tom Welling at the top of the Superman list. I don't get hooked often, but I fell in love with the progressive storyline of Clark starting to believe he could be super- in all other mediums I HAD SEEN (I'm not a huge comic book fan)- Clark/Sup was already confident in the dual-complimentary role.

The seasons I favor are 4-10; my 12 year old favors 1-3; the love interest I favor is Lois; my daughter wanted Clark to be with Chloe. Her opinion, of course, from a Superman medium point of view is juvenile. I will add, however, that both my daughter and I appreciate the entire story- as we often share our favorite moments.

984 does a great job explaining why Lois and Clark belong together. Lois was/is custom made for Clark/Sup. The writers get this for the most part- some times I do feel there is a push and pull going on with the Lana storyline, but all mature viewers (or maybe I should say well-informed) know he'd have to end up with Lois once her character is introduced. I must admit, however, even in this over-enlongated first love storyline, the writers/producers have the foresight never to make Lois and Lana rivals. It's all fate that drives Clark's choice to be with Lois in the end. Then, the character realizes she's the only fit. It's good psychology also. This kind of pairing works in many superhero love affairs. Even DC's rival sees the greatness and success of the "god-like" savior who's in love with the pure hearted but imperfect and sassy person. Here, I will note that Durance does a phenomenal job with the character. She's got the look, personality, confidence, and sensuousness necessary for this role. Even his parents approve of Lois and show only support for her; later, Ma Kent shows support for their relationship. She and Lois have a good mother-daughter chemistry. They make a good traditional family.

From a story lover's point of view, I'd like to have seen a sincere love affair between Lex and Lana that may have had a break up in the end due exclusively to Lex's nature. Because the backdrop storyline of Clark/Lana don't belong together, does not match with the front stage storyline of them hanging on. This, of course, is a mature view of the story. Many "first time" Superman -Smallville only- fans may have wanted something else.

As a literary buff, I'd put this rendition of Lois&Clark up there with the 1995 rendition of Elizabeth&Darcy. They are convincingly in love and belong together. For all other parts, except for the apparent indecisiveness of Lana-Clark interactions, I'd say the characters and their interactions were very good. Chloe and Clark are best friends. Chloe and Lois are best cousins/sisters. Oliver is a good partner/friend/lover of the aforementioned. Mom and Dad are the parents we all dreamed of having; the villains are complicated and "human".

I read a lot of books, so the complete story per episode does not bother me. I think good writing for longer pieces has to have closure for each chapter that is linked to the next chapter that fits into the overall larger story. For me, this was done well.

I will have to say that for 2000's this is my favorite. And for the first time ever, I felt satisfied- even though they aren't married in the end- and I understand why this could not have happened at this time- at the close of the show- enough to say that I'd follow Welling and Durance into another version of the story although I know this is highly improbable.

• i love smallville

I watch this show every morning, 2 episodes, love it, never watched it back when it was on, now love it

• To: sheena115 and TheFza from a comics reader: You know zero about Lois and you need to stop acting like a basic OC like Chloe is anything like Lois.

Chloe was NOTHING like Lois is supposed to be. The only things that Chloe shared with Lois was being a reporter and being into Clark. THAT'S IT. As a comics reader, I know that comics Lana started out as being into Superboy and was an aspiring reporter. That doesn't make Lana anything like Lois.

Lois is brash, reckless, obnoxious sometimes, arrogant, confident, a woman in a man's world, relentless, intense, fierce, she can't spell in nearly every iteration, very flawed, she's not a killer or a manipulator (Chloe killed to protect Clark's secret and no Lois would ever do that; Chloe also stole from Oliver and she betrayed Clark to Lionel because he was more into Lana), Lois is consistently herself etc.

Most importantly, Lois shares Superman ideals while Chloe increasingly, starting in S2, showed signs of believing in other brands of justice and morality and she finally showed that in s8 when she colluded in Oliver about not telling Clark about the man she killed and when she covered up the bodies of the people that Doomsday killed. She said as much in S9 to Oliver when she advocated killing the Kandorians and when she said that Clark would never do what needed to be done. THIS IS NEVER LOIS. Lois disdains Batman's tactics, for instance.

Stop and get out of here before you start talking about who Lois is. I know who Lois is from years and years of consuming comics and every media with Lois in it. You can complain about everything in Smallville, but the minute you start off with "Chloe is more like Lois" you laughably reveal your ignorance and invalidate your opinion. Lois is one of the few things Smallville did right. She's very very much like comics Lois and she's probably the closest to Modern Age Lois in live action. Superman Unbound also had a Lois much like Modern Age Lois, but that's animated. Just stop with your bs that made me post here just to refute your ignorance. I'm a lawyer and I can't resist.
  • Too cheesy, too predictable, too boring

3.5
    Let me start off by saying that I didn't watch all 10 seasons or whatever it was - I rufused to watch at some point righting the 4th season when I had exceeded my tolerance for this awfully overrated show. So much good acting talent went to waste in this series, it's truly a shame.

Every episode was far too easy to read into and figure out. They took far too long to progress character development. Clark and Lana were still in love with each other after 4 seasons, when they had never really been a thing since the first season. Unreal, and so boring. This relationship should have been over by early second season.

This was pretty much a procedural show, and that's downright pathetic, a disgrace to have in a Superman property. The story arc took way too long to get going and once it did, it was extremely predictable. This was one of those shows where i gave it a chance for a long, long time because of the property name. I am ashamed at the time I spent watching this poor excuse of a superhero television series.

This is a series that in all honesty should have been done in 4-5 seasons, tops. If you can't tell a respectable story in 80-100 episodes at 40 mins. per, you need to stop writing for TV. This kind of reminds me of Supernatural in a way - except Supernatural had/has a far more engaging story arc and it actually moved away from the bullshit procedural style of story telling. The whole premise of the first few seasons was exactly this; someone is affected by the kryptonite, this someone hates Lana and attacks her, Clark saves a day and they have an awkward moment near the end of the episode where they get all lovey-dovey. Too. Fucking. Predictable.

The visual effects were quite bad as well. I laughed every time they showed Clark running at high speeds This had the potential to be a top 5 all time show, instead it ended up an embarrassment..

Whatever, I'm goign to stop myself right now before I waste any more time venting on this show, as I have already wasted days worth of hours watching this series. I feel sorry for the people that watched the entirety of the series, and I feel worse for the people that actually considered it good television.

For the four seasons I watched, I give this a 3.5/10. Poor storytelling, pacing, non-engaging, predictable, poor visuals etcetera.
  • Top Shows

4 seasons (09-13)
  • Somebody saaaaaaave meeeeeee from this show!

Granted this was the most successful television series based on the life and times of Clark "Superman" Kent ever produced... Indeed it was the most successful television series based on any DC Comics character, lasting a whopping 10 years and 218 episodes. Not even the six year run of the 1950's Adventures of Superman series was any match.

Yet despite the clear success of this series, and aside from the fantastic run in Season One, overall Smallville leaves much to be desired.

* Throughout much of the series Clark acts foolish, selfish and even capricious at times.

* The love story between Clark and Lana goes on WAAAAAY too long, especially as it was a love story we knew would not last.

* As for the 'Monster of the Week' set-up most episodes follow... well it just leaves the viewer with a confused haze of stories with little-to-no memorable/identifying features (like Buffy gone awry).

Much of the 'Monster of the Week' stories are in fact better forgotten... still there are several excellent aspects to Smallville that kept me, if not interested, at least continuing on. The first being the development of Clark into Superman. It's takes forever, but in a way that builds the character of Clark into The Man of Tomorrow.

With that buildup in mind the Clark (Kal-El) Kent portrayed here hold tight to the overwhelmingly positive characteristics of the Superman mythos fans can truly recognize as a hero. Not the dark brooding jerk Clark is characterized as in the new Man of Steel movie. This Clark Kent wouldn't snap a man's neck, and while this Clark Kent may even worry TOO much about crossing that line at least he thinks about it.

Other fun parts of Smallville include the dark twisted portrayals of the Luthor Clan that Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover worked so hard to give us. Those guys are SOB if ever there were any. Not to mention my favorite character, Chloe who really was everything that Lois Lane was suppose to be and more!

Pa & Ma Kent were great, well portrayed by veteran actors who did an excellent job at both parenting and parenting a super tyke. Furthermore the powers that be provided some clever ideas and interesting ways to intertwine DC mythos as well as characters, like Brainiac, into the series. With the addition of some great guest-stars in great roles it was often just a good time to see what would happen with them: Dean Cain, Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Lynda Carter, Helen Slater, Michael Hogan, Michael McKean, James Marsters, Brian Austin Green & Pam Grier (as Amanda "The Wall" Waller).

And lest we not forget all the superhero guests who helped bring texture to the Smallville Universe: Supergirl, Aquaman, Cyborg, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, Impulse, Zatanna, Green Arrow made it onto the small screen with Clark. If they weren't enough we also meet the JSA and the Legion!

So in the end while often I would cringe my way through and episode, in particular the Lana/Clark stuff which should have ended in season 3 or 4 at the latest, this show was not terrible and if you're thinking of visiting Smallville just be aware not every episode or indeed every season is created equally. If you skip a few here and there, like Seasons 3 and 4 (not to mention most of seasons 2, 7 & 8) you mind find you'll enjoy the visit.

Just remember to cut Clark some slack, I know it's hard and you may want to slap Clark more than once in the series but remember like Harry Potter in the Order of the Phoenix, he's not a pain in the butt without reason. He was adopted and has some issues with that which he needs to work out.

If you were to ask what the best parts of the series were I would point out that Season One, in it's entirety might just be the best Season all together. The first part of Season Two and the series after Steven S. DeKnight becomes a co-executive producer for Seasons Five & Six are also good. With Seasons 7 and 8 it's sort of hit-and-miss with just about every other episode. Though finally Seasons Nine and Ten provide a more stable quality as well as a really good send off.

All being said this series isn't really that good or bad over all, maybe a 6 out of 10 stars... Of course that's just my opinion and this show did enjoy 10 Seasons so judge for yourself if you like.
  • Why thank you for ruining Superman for me

5 problem with this show

1. Chloe was everything that Lois Lane was suppose to be.

2. Stepped down good characters for ratings.

3. This show was like 7th Heaven, (WILL THIS SHIT GET CANCELED ALREADY) it went on for to long.

4. This show made Superman look like a punk bitch, smelled like a weak bitch, and flew like dumb bitch.

5. Why make such an interesting and amazing character like Chloe Sullivan and do almost anything to destroy her. (Don't get me started on the bullshit that was season 2)
  • Somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smallville is still one of my favorite shows ever. Though it had a few mistakes along the way the final result is great.
  • This show was so bad.

He never flew, & Lana ended up being more powerful than she had no weakness to kryptonite, whuh?. This show started out weak and got worse with the writer's strike. We joked that Doughnut boy (the guy who brought donuts to the set) took over and starting writing during the strike. After he got fired Bagel boy took over. We had high hopes for a Justice League buildup, but the writers floundered and dropped that ball in the last seasons, leaving us fans discouraged and disappointed. Such a shame.
  • My very first TV show

Great series even if its not my favorite anymore. It has a alot of bumps in the middle of the series but overall good stuff.

My ranking of the seasons from greatest to least:

Season 10- Great ending to a great series. Only a few filler episodes and a lot of awesome mythology episodes. I also like how they brought back the old main cast members. Plus the finale was fantastic IMO

Season 9- Great season with the best plot arc in the series with the intro of Major Zod. I loved how In almost every episode they introduced a character from DC comics. Had a couple of bad episodes in the 2nd half tho. The finale was my favorite finale in the series.

Season 8- Yes I know that the 2nd half had some of the worst episodes in the series. But if it wasent a bad episode then it was a fantastic one. Davis is one of my favorite characters on the show and Bride is my favorite episode in the series. The finale is definatly my least favorite finale tho.

Season 1- A very simple season but that's what's so great about it. The filler episodes were fresh and easy to enjoy. The pilot is a great intro that will get you hooked. Only a few episodes I don't like (Craving, Reaper) but many I enjoy and that I consider classics (Leech ,Metamorphosis, Stray). The finale is still awesome to this day even if it is simple.

Season 6- A little rocky but overall an enjoyable season. Liked the phantom storyline and how Oliver was a recurring character. The biggest fault in the season is without a doubt the Lex-Lana-Clark love triangle. Way too much of a soap-opera IMO. Great finale that will make your jaw drop.

Season 3-Very good season and definitely the darkest one. My biggest gripe was how a lot of the episodes were just forgettable (Magnetic, Delete, Legacy). I know this is a lot of peoples favorite season and I can see why. The greatest Lex and Chloe arcs are in this season. The finale is fantastic because of all the chaos.

Season 2- Good season but overall just another repeat of season 1 IMO. Many filler episodes just didn't feel original and were ridiculous (Redux, Dichotic, Nocturne). Kind of just a plain old season that didn't bring anything particularly exciting. Good finale.

Season 4- Definitely the most ridiculous season with a lot of terrible episodes (Faade, Devoted, ageless and they list goes But you just have to realize that this season was made to be fun and it sure as hell is. The finale is one of the best of the series.

Season 7- I call this the "pointless" season. Nothing exciting really happens and the plots don't really matter in the end. Kara was a bland character and Lana coming back was pretty annoying. Nothing really bad; this season was just boring. The finale was also very bland.

Season 5-The first 3 episodes were promising but the season quickly crumbled. This season was the first season that wasn't in high school, promising us a mature season. But that never happened. Instead we get vampires, strippers and girls that are crazy enough to shave their head for a man. The 100th episode was great tho. The finale was solid.
  • Best TV SHOW EVER

Of all the TV show that i ever watch, Smallville nail them all... Looking forward for a Justice League movie!!!
  • A superhero show that's good!

It introduces the public to villains other than Lex luthor. Fanboys, like me, will have nerdgasms from seeing Huntress, Green Arrow, Doomsday, Bizarro, Aquaman, Isis, and more brought to life!
  • Greatest superhero!

When I was a kid I was into Spiderman and Batman,never saw a Superman day Smallville aired on tv,saw the first episode and I really enjoyed stopped on tv and I bought the story of Superman is one of the the first season the special effects can be kinda amateuristic but not series!
  • One of the best shows i have ever watched!

I watch a lot of tv shows but i havent seen many that are this good! I like Smallville maybe because it has Superman in it. That is what i thought first! I found that it had action (Not really a suprise) but it had some sadness in it. It had romance in it too. I cried at one part dont remember the season or episode. That part was really touching. Spoiler Alert!!! It was when his father when Lana became some kryptonite Lana or something like that. It is a shame they canceled it.
  • Best show ever!!

Best show ever and i need it to survive!!!
  • The show must go on!

They should have made a movie or something after season 10. Personally, I don't know why it ended. I mean look at Spongebob, that's been going on since the dinosaurs. Smallville may never come back, I'm hoping it does, the actors and actresses will not stay young forever, so they better make up their minds if they are definitely certain they'll stop making it. From what I hear, it was up to the fans for the show to continue. Maybe the fanbase died out? Or maybe lack of funds? Or maybe someone needs to poke the writers and actors with a stick to get back onto making smallville again after 2 years.
  • Smallimpact

I'm sadden that I have to write a mixed review of Smallville. I've watched six seasons of the show so far, and even though I feel as if it's a waste of time I can't help but passing from episode to episode. One thing that I really hate about Smallville is the slow paced storylines. I MEAN IT TAKES CLARK AND LANA MAYBE A BILLION SEASONS BEFORE THEY GET TOGETHER. And when they do, it's for a couple of episodes and then they break them up. And then they expect us to look at them as the best couple. Also, it deals with storyline in a very nonchalant way. Everyone and everything can be explained by kryptonite. These meteor rocks are in each episode it's really frustrating. Plus, it's not really an action show. There's just Clark who superspeeds to dodge a bullet and lifts people. There's no veritable battle. Don't get me started on the clichs that the show blatantly embraced throughout its run: Clark barging into Lex's mansion to blame him for anything/everything; Clark and Lana avoiding real discussions, Chloe solving every mysteries by the mere bias of her computer. ALL IN ALL, this show grew on me, and I think it could have been 100 times better which is why I'm rather dissapointed than irritated.
  • Poor depiction of Superman

The series was good, it had its moments although there were some boring and pointless stretches in the show. I really hated it for depicting Superman as a weak person who rejected his destiny to be a her through out most of the show. Every other Superman films showed him embrace his Kryptonian heritage and responsibility to save the world. But i Smallville he's rather interested in banging Lana Lang or Lois, also he despised and rejected Jor El most part of the show. The Finale was also the worst i have any seen of a tv show, The Superman in Smallville was not a "Man of Steel". literarily and figuratively speaking,
  • AMAZING SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smallville is the most epic and greatest TV series i have ever seen or followed. Because it doesnt only have a bunch of crime fighting and saving the day , it tells a story about the life of a kryptonian boy sent to earth to be mankinds savior, in which case he is rased as if he was a humna child and even though he has the powers of god and just about perfect he still has to go through all the things a human has to whether its physical changes to mental emotional challenges and that in the end made him to be the superhero he became and thats why this a rollercoaster of a show and the best i have ever seen
  • Somebody saaaaaaaave meeeeeeee!

*NO SPOILERS*

I was 3 when Smallville first hit the air back in 2001. At the time I had no idea what I was watching, but everytime a new episode was on, Dad would sit down in front of the TV for an hour and watch it. I did everything Dad did at the time, so I sat down and watched it. Dad watched the first 5 seasons, before ending his weekly ritual. At first he was doing work, and then he slowly forgot about Smallville. But not me. For 10 years I sat down for an hour once a week and watched an episode of Smallville. If that doesn't tell you I loved the show, then I don't know what does. The shows first season (once I rewatched them at the age of 8) was highly enjoyable and a great introduction to Superman. I always thought that she show would end with Clark moving to Metropolis and becoming Superman, but I was rleieved when he moved to Metropolis and the show kept going, taking us deeper into Clark's life. The show has alot of action, and can be really cheesy at times (okay, alot) but when you're dealing with Superman, how can you not be cheesy? There really is no way to do Superman without being cheesy. I mean, look at the costume!

One of the things I loved most about Smallville was the opening theme. To this day, I have not encountered another opening theme that I've loved more than Smallville! One Tree Hill came close, but nothing beat's Smallville. I felt really sad back in 2011 when Smallville ended. What fan didn't? I wanted nothing more then for Smallville to come back. It felt like a really bad breakup, even though the final scene of the series left me satisfied and happy. I pray that one day they'll make a movie (which is highly doubtful, as another Superman movie [Man of Steel] is released this year. If you're reading this, trying to figure out whether to watch it, I say yes. To me, it's something i wish I'd never seen, so I can go back and experience it all again.

10 years, 10 seasons, 10 great reasons to watch Smallville, the show that brought me a decade of laughs, tears and heartbreak. . - I forced my Dad to start watching again. He works alot more then he used to, but he occasionally finds time for Smallville. He's up to Season 6 now, only 4 seasons left!
  • bring back

I just started watching and love this show i get up every morning and watch it on tnt @ 6 . i wish i would had started from the start bring it back i like it better than supernatural. take that away.

• Smallville is AWESOME

AAHHHHHH! I can't even explain how much I loved this show. Tom Welling played an amazing Clark. The series was well thought out from beginning to end, even the parts I didn't really like. Season 5-6 was a little confusing, but the last 2 seasons was worth the wait. Lois and Clark are the best couple ever! I also love the "love triangle" of 2 people, so amusing. It's a shame that this show has ended, but it is worth watching. Oh I also hated to see Tess die, I was starting to like her.

This was the end of an amazing series that everyone would enjoy
  • THE BEST SERIES EVERRR!!

I am so obsessed with this show. I love it so much and the storyline is just amazing!! All the cast members are incredible and they did an excellent job working on Smallville. This show deserves a 10 all the way!!
  • SOMEBODY SAAAAAAAAVEEE MEEEEEEEEEE

Smallville is a classic. And it's amazing.
  • Great cast, lovable characters and action: Superman'd be proud!

Smallville is a legend, or something. Years ago, of course I've watched some episodes of this huge hit of its age. But in 2011, when I bought the entire collection and decided to watch it for real, I've realized how fantastic this show actually is. Yeah, I agree, maybe it's slow-paced, but although repetitive, episodes don't get boring, since each one introduces a new thrilling situation for the characters to deal on. I always praised the writers of show for that: they've always manage to pull crazy plots and end up coming up with an even more creative idea to solve it. This is a tale for everyone. Following up Clark's adventures, from High School, to his biggest conflicts with Luthorcorp. His love interests, from his first love with Lana Lang to his epic love with Lois Lane. His friend Chloe's adventures while growing up and putting a little more of humanity into the show and into Clark's mind. His friendship with Lex, and hot that turned out drastically bad, his later friendship with Oliver Queen, the playboy who became hero and started to grow closer to Clark, his parent's life... Anyway, I can only compliment Smallville. Every episode is a masterpiece, and, when this show digs on its mythology, than nothing can stop it. I'm actually really glad I've watched this show, because, believe me, all 10 seasons was a crazy emotional ride that was totally worth it.
  • great series

I like the show although I can't stand Lana lang she is a total BITCH.
  • DaMn It!

I am so sad that it finished! I love Smallville! Tom Welling Portrays Clark really well in a way that is so awesome and definately not as geeky as he was in the Superman movies. I really like Oliver and Lois (although sometimes she can be really annoying) and Chloe (even though most of the show she just wanted to marry Clark and I was so glad she ended up with Oliver because they were really good together) and I really love Martha! (she was really cool and the perfect mother for Clark. I just wish she had been in it more towards the end)

Oh my god I just love this show!

Good bye Smallville!

Don't Blink.

~WeepingAngel
  • good show so far but...

I've watched halfway through season 2 and for the life of me do not understand why Chloe is on this show. She is the most irritating and annoying person on the show. All she does is try to make everyone feel guilty because Clark doesn't want her, it's disgustingly pathetic. She constantly acts like the jealous girlfriend even though Clark and her are not even dating! She's horrible! She reminds me of Bella, always whiny with the woe is me attitude. And Clark and Lana are a little too understanding of Chloe's "issues" to say the least. Another big issue is with Jonathan Kent, maybe he can at least try to be a little understanding of Lex. The best thing about the show is Lex, it seems that he gets the best lines in the show. For anyone that disagrees go back and watch from season one and tell me Chloe's consistent whining is not unbearable...
  • Review of the entire series

Smallville was a very good show. I liked it how they never really forgot about characters and had them made an interesting comeback... I liked Clark's development into Superman while we saw his relationship with Lana build and then fall before he moved on to fall in love with Lois. However there were some annoying elements in the story such as Tess' character; she had way too much screen time in the last three seasons and it was usually her doing something villainous but at the same time 'trying to save the world'.

I rated it 8.5 out 10 because it provided a good build up to what we saw of Superman in either the comics or the movies. However I didn't like it how we didn't see enough of Smallville itself in the last few seasons... But that it what's wrong with the show's title, not the show.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10