Smallville

Savior

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2009 on The CW

• After disappearing with the Legion ring, Lois returns from the future, with no memory of the past 3 weeks. Clark, having been training in the FoS, saves her, bringing his feelings for her to the surface. Meanwhile, Lois meets new coworker John Corben.

Recap -- After mysteriously disappearing for three weeks (see DOOMSDAY), Lois returns from the future, bringing with her Alia, a mysterious ninja assassin with Kryptonian powers. When Clark learns Lois has returned, it immediately brings his feelings for her to the surface. Later, Lois, who doesn't remember her time in the future, tries to get in touch with the Red-Blue Blur, while Clark realizes he has to say goodbye to Lois in order to continue his training with Jor-El. Meanwhile, Chloe asks Clark to use the Legion ring to save Jimmy, and Clark refuses; Lois tracks down Oliver to an underground fight club; Major Zod and his army of powerless Kandorian soldiers, including Alia, take over the Luthor Mansion; and Lois meets new colleague John Corben, who seems to have a grudge against The Blur.

My Review -- Those familiar with SMALLVILLE are also familiar with the show's habit of disappointing in the premieres, after building up excitement with awe-inspiring finales (though last season's DOOMSDAY had its disappointments as well). Thankfully, it seems the show has *finally* broken itself of that habit (for now, anyway, now that a tenth season has been confirmed). SAVIOR gives us plenty of stunning visuals, such as the Superman shield scorched onto a building or Clark nose-diving from atop the Statute of Liberty. Now, I didn't much care for the whole powerless Kandorian army storyline, nor did I care for John Corben, what few scenes he was featured in. Although, I'll admit, the Alia of the future piqued my interest in what was to come, and I loved the "Kneel before Zod" homage. And anyway, the Clois moments, including a few scenes not starring my favorite couple (i.e., Chloe confronting Clark over his feelings for Lois), more than made up for all of it, as did the stunning visuals, as I've already mentioned. All in all, I'd say not a bad start to the season, and give it nine Legion rings out of ten.

Highlights -- Clark saving Lois and leaving his mark on a nearby building; Clark standing over Metropolis dressed completely in black; Clark training in the FoS; Clark trying to master flight from atop the Statue of Liberty; Lois undercover as a card girl; Clark vs. Alia; Lois getting a call from The Blur; and Lois's dream of the future.