Smallville

Stiletto

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 23, 2009 on The CW

• This is what Clois fans have been waiting for. A necessary step forward in the Superman saga. *Spoiler alert: If you haven't seen the episode yet, watch it first, then read the review*

What else is there to say that hasn't already been said. This is the episode that Clark took a bullet for Lois without thinking twice. And did I mention that he was in a room filled with kryptonite, so the bullet actually hurt him this time. If that's not love, then I have no idea what love is. You can talk all you want, but he NEVER did anything like that for Lana.

Besides the fantastic Clois moments in this episode, I really loved the inclusion of Bruno Mannheim (who is an actually comic book villain) in this episode. He was evil, ruthless, pretty much all you can ask for in a villain. Dominic Zamprogna was absolutely great as Bruno.

And the supporting storylines weren't bad at all either. It was pretty fascinating seeing Doomsday take care of that AJ guy, and Chloe's horror when she had to dispose the dead body was played really well. I have to give Allison Mack credit for that scene. She rocked it.

Another thing I loved was the inclusion of Aaron Ashmore in the episode. He's really stepped it up this season, and even though it feels as if he's rarely been in that many episodes this season, his acting relating to the drug problem is awesome. But we all know that it won't last. After all, he is going to become the Wholesome-Olsen we all know and love.

Finally, I just HAVE to mention the ending scene with Lois talking to the Red-Blue-Blur on the phone, without realizing that it was Clark. I loved that he used a voice-changer when he was talking to her, because it would have made Lois look really dumb if she was talking to RBB on the phone and didn't realize that it was Clark. It certainly foreshadowed the relationship that Lois will have with Superman in the future, so that's really cool.

Overall, "Stiletto" was an amazing Smallville episode (Seeing Lois in tights didn't exactly ruin the episode either). When I read the premise, I was sure that it would be this year's "Sleeper," but they certainly proved me wrong. -10/10 Absolutely Perfect
  • OMG! If i ever need a reminder why I stopped watching this show.... this was it.

I couldn't take it. Half way through I had to leave the room. It was so unbelievably horrible and campy and cheesy that it was embarrassing. Not only embarrassing to have anyone know I watch this crappy episode, but embarrassing for the actors in the show. This is still just a terrible soap opera, filled with a little too much latex and bad dialog and on again off again relationships that isn't even in the same time zone of reality.

Its gone so far off the beaten path that I just can't stand it anymore. Whoever has been writing the past two seasons should be shot out of a cannon.
  • Another hero that's not Clark Kent.

4.5
    Storyline was weak. The only person not lying in the whole episode was Jimmy, and the writers seem determine to make him a weakling. Not a fan of Lois Lane being in the storyline yet anyway, but did the writers have to mess with her integrity button. The one thing Lois rarely does is lie about a story. Her making herself a super hero was a desperate move that didn't really need to be made. And I'm sorry I didn't see what she did to make what she did that special and the belief she would fly down from a roof, through glass and not be injured is farfetched at best. And the hero of the whole show was Jimmy, and he got no Kudos. In fact the writer rewarded him by making him seem no more then a strung out drug addict. Which brings me to Chloe, you would never thought she even loved Jimmy. The way she cringes when his name is mentioned. Did she forget Jimmy was the one that was almost murdered and spent months trying to get well to come back to her to only find she had taken the side of a total stranger over that of her husband. The same man she knows now tried to kill Jimmy. I must say, I do like Lois's loyalty to Jimmy. When Lois told Chloe that Jimmy might be in trouble, Chloe should have went with Lois to find him. Enough of that though, I do like Clark in all the episodes, but I still feel he is at his best when he's around Oliver and other like him. I thought this was a filler episode to give Lois something to do.
  • After Chloe is mugged, Lois steps in to fend off one of the attackers and uses the opportunity to pretend a new superhero, Stiletto, has come to town and is giving exclusives to Lois. (Review taken from cwtv.com)

Let's be honest. When most of the Smallville faithful saw that Lois Lane would be taking to the streets as Stiletto, Metropolis' newest "superhero", we all suffered a universal cringe.

We all knew this would be another one week, plot-irrelevant stunt and predictably, this gimmicky episode failed in every attempt at humor and overall enjoyability (and was it just me, or did the show make it a point to have every on-screen character mention the name "Stiletto" at least 10 times?)

Long story short: Lois stops convenient attack on Chloe. An overconfident Lois becomes a "superhero". Clark goes after Chloe's attackers. Clark is weakened by conveniently placed kryptonite. Show tries to redeem itself by having Lois make an improbable rescue of Clark. Chloe is seen dumping the dissembled body of her attacker in the garbage (making the final two minutes the only interesting points in the show). Show attempts romantic ending. The End.

In that short synopsis, I think I managed to give the show more credit than it deserved.

If you're jonesing for well written, well acted, plot relevant entertainment, look elsewhere.
  • great episode

i enjoyed this stiletto episode because it shows a chapter that is is crucial between the whole lois and clark thing.lois understands and respects the whole save the day mentality.its just not for her.yes there were parts with the mob boss guy that i was like yeah watever,but the overall meaning of this episode is vital.how else would a rough n tough girl understand one day about clark not bein from earth,yet has been saving lives inlcuding hers dozens of times and always thinks of others.makes sense.this i believe will bring her and clark alot closer when she actually finds out who clark is.great episode to me.
  • Screenwriter Dries disappoints again, with a trivial plot, total disregard of continuity, and a mashup of confusing roles and an absence of drama. Skip everything but the last two scenes.

This story was almost an 80% loss, and screenwriter Dries continues to be stuck on romantic schlock. Cartoonish, trivial, lacking in any coherent story line - it was all over the place. I was on the edge at the end of "Eternal," with Chloe virtually trapped in a basement with the horrifying Davis. She was the one doomed this time, committing herself to an unknown future with a monster, in order to protect Clark. That's where this episode should have picked up, maintaining that tension. Instead, we get another, "oh well, never mind," as Chloe is out and about with Lois, her usual chipper self, as if nothing ever happened. Why create a dramatic masterpiece, only to drop any attempt at story continuity?

Apparently someone got the bright idea of Lois-as-Superhero, and came up with a thin plot as an excuse to dress Ms. Durance in wet-look vinyl and stiletto heels. Then they threw in Jimmy, absent the last few episodes, and he's now tending bar? His entire role was shoehorned in, without much purpose, other than to get everyone, including himself, in deep trouble with the 30-somethings running the local mob and counterfeiting operation, with kryptonite-laced greenbacks, no less.

The production values bordered on irritating, with the painful lighting leaving everyone's face in half-shadows, as is the current fad in the film industry. It's getting tiresome and pretentious, just like the product placement mentions of a social-networking website...twice. Since they're selling advertising in the script, let's hope they gain enough cash to hire a story editor.

The last two scenes, the remaining 20%, were worth watching, as the interplay between Lois and Clark back at the DP at least allowed them to show some maturity and a bit of self-assessment about their feelings for one another. Clark was self-assured, while Ms. Durance gave a good account of her acting skills as her feelings for Clark floated across her face. Never mind how Clark managed to recover from the bullet wound without revealing anything to anyone.

I like to watch Ms. Mack do almost anything, but her role was confusing, and only at the end do we hear the word "divorce," rather than "breaking up," or "my ex." So the marriage is truly ended, but it plays out as if they never saw each other in court. It's all a throw-away again. And Davis didn't get a single scene, only an off-screen reference while dragging away Chloe's assailant. I didn't even catch the purpose of her dumpster trip, and emotional break in the dark alley. Her last scene with Clark and a table full of casseroles for the creepy guy in the basement was done well, as she had to put Clark off from finding out what was really bothering her. Are we to assume that Davis only needs occasional attention and feeding to control his inner beast, sort of like a primitive housepet?

Clark's "red-blue blur" phone call to Lois was out-of-character. I almost laughed when they came up with a pay phone down on the street - haven't they disappeared everywhere except airline terminals? Did he arrange the call to throw her off his trail again? Seemed like he was playing with her emotions, and that's not fair. Ok, so he gave her some moral support, but otherwise it all seemed forced in order to close out her interest in pursuing that secret superhero thing...for now. Let's hope future episodes by this screenwriter are few and far between. Smallville can and should be much better. I'll re-watch those two good scenes, but the rest is painful. Re-run rating C.
  • STILETTO STILETTO STILETTO STILETTO doesnt matter how many times they say it it a crappy episode

Louis fakes a news story lies in a major newspaper
    and generally behaves like a real
    journalist.

Okay so a paper called the Daily Planet
    focuses its headlines entirely on metropolis
    and a 3rd rate fake hero/S&M stripper.
    I know Americans are clearly focused on america
    when it comes to news but i find the title
    slightly misleading.

As for the episode even by the low standards of the show recently its a mess.Uninvolving ,boring ,silly & contrived.Yet another very poor excuse to get louis
    into a sleazy outfit.

Shame about the no talent/boxer,s nose combo
    An ep focusing on smallville,s worst character
    was never going to be great but it is really obvious they are n longer trying
  • The Lane, the Kent and the Red-Blue Blur followed by Little Red Riding Chloe

Even if this season has already plenty of great episodes the writers keep surprising us. Again this one was mostly about the whole new Lois and Clark arc but the Doomsday one was also covered. Finding out who Stilletto was even surprised me because I hadn't read anything about it before watching the episode.

In Bride, Erica Durance's emotive performance astonished me and in this one she confirmed that impression. In fact I had to admit that when she was first introduced as Lois Lane I wasn't really into her but now I even compare her to Teri Hatcher. Indeed even they often use her sex appeal to appeal the male audience the character remains genuine, funny, clumsy… Considering how human she's I'm pretty sure many girls identify to her, and that's a great thing because she kicks ass. An other great thing was Clark's development because he keeps getting closer and closer to the whole Superman icon. The time when Tom Welling's acting bored me is also long time gone and now I keep waiting for the weekly Dailyplanet scene where we see Clark and Lois teasing each other. You can't get tired of it, it's pure cosmic love. This time it was even better than usual considering what he did and what happened thereafter.

That was for the bright part because the creature is now lurking in Chloe's lair. She's my favorite character but I have to admit that Allison Mack's previous performances weren't as strong as they should have been. For example I remember a scene when she was supposed to be really sad but only looked like an actress faking the emotion. In this episode she got darker and darker but it felt real. So it's great and very inspiring to see that hard work pays off. She keeps growing on us but also on Allison apparently. In fact now she's almost a tale character and could be featured in Charles Perrault or Lewis Caroll's works. But this time Jimmy also joined the party and in some way it seems the marriage isn't over yet because their characters mirror themselves. It's quite smart from the writers because it makes Chloe and Jimmy even more genuine. If you already liked them you'll care even more for them after watching this episode.

Last but not least, like if it wasn't already enough, all these elements were brilliantly edited together. Of course there were two distinctive story arcs but it felt like they were about to collide, for an ultimate episode. It's even more exciting considering three episodes remain. The last scene will also probably be remembered as one of the best Smallville one, right beside the scenes from episodes like Identity or Bride.
  • Cheesy but not fun.

This has the cheesy feeling of the 1960's Batman television show without, unfortunately, the sense of self-knowing glee that Adam West et al brought to that particular endeavour. The central idea of Lois going after a story in an unorthodox and dangerous manner was okay but, as usual for Smallville now, it was handled clumsily and lazily. The writers, director and actors are all on auto-pilot and even Erica Durance - the best thing about Smallville this season, surprisingly - has a permanent let's-get-this-over-with look about her. There's a bit of Lois-Clark magic at the end of the show but in almost every way Smallville is embarrassing to watch.

This Smallville episode contains strong melee violence, graphic gun violence.

Read more of my mini-reviews for Smallville, TV, anime, games and movies at misterslimm.wordpress.com.
  • Lois become a heroine for a moments!!!

this episode was realy wacky for me maybe others like it..
    we still remember when lana became a heroine more than once and many ppl didn't accept the idea that her and clark become equal, but at least each time was because she get infected with meteor rock in the first time and last time wore this shell that lex made..
    But Lois become a heroine by herself!! come on at least if they make her get infected with some rocks or she is find these magic boots make her makes these jumps it would be more convincing..
    coz jumping from the roof and through the glass without hurt herself and have the time to kick the man before she land that was too much..
    normal woman will scream terrifying when they fall but not lois!!
    Clark himself without his powers can't do that and we've seen him lost his powers he was almost be close to death

and what about chloe and all this darkness around her she killed a man, she is involved in lex murderer
    and now collecting the flesh that davis kill and throw it,, for how long she will walk through this roads, if clark find out will he be able to forgive her??
    I know she is doing all that for clark but she is his close friend and she has to know his ways in solving the problems by now

the only progress in this episode was finaly lois start to talk to superman..
  • Far from heroic

Something about this episode didn't hit me quite right, and it took a little time for me to realize what it was. Almost no one in this episode seemed to act in character. The most egregious examples were Lois and Chloe, but it didn't end there, and the episode as a whole didn't seem to mesh as a whole.

While Lois is certainly ambitious, it seems out of character for her to stage a scoop to put her name back on the front page. Even if she was inclined to do such a thing, I wouldn't expect her to do it in such a clunky manner. It would have been obvious to anyone with half a brain that Lois was making up a story, and that would have killed her career for good. Generally speaking, posing as a superhero in an attempt to get in with the "cape" crowd sounds logical, but it's something that might have worked better as a long-term plot thread.

Lois' secret identity, however, left much to be desired. The outfit was played for fan service, and it was designed to play on Erica's sex appeal. Unfortunately, it also emphasized that Erica is not quite as young as she used to be. Her hair and makeup made her look middle-aged at times. And since when does Lois have problems with high heels? Hasn't the character been seen in them often in the past?

Far worse, however, was the characterization for Chloe. Part of it could be attributed to her experiences with Brainiac and her breakup with Jimmy, but some things are fundamental. There's no way Chloe would risk the integrity of her data so casually, and I don't see how she would use encryption that could be cracked by organized crime. Chloe is the nerve center for a group that is combating enemies on the level of LuthorCorp, with resources far more talented and dangerous. Add to that her decision to hide Davis and clean up after his murderous messes, and I have no idea where they're going with this character at all.

We also have Chloe confronting Clark on what happened with Lana and the gap it left in his life, and he barely reacts. Stoicism in the face of deep emotional pain is hardly a new concept for heroes, but considering how the whole Lana arc felt disconnected from the season arc (and, in fact, disrupted it in a major way), this was as good a chance as any to make it all mesh. I'm not sure why they didn't address it more directly.
  • Stiletto comes to town!

I think this episode was finally a step forward in the show… the last ones had been just about Lana or stuck on Davis/Doomsday …

A little bit more of the current character would be bad… finally Jimmy and Lois showed up (to stay, I hope)
    The writing for this episode was great, developing more the relationship between Lois and Clark and getting more into the actual story.

Stiletto is awesome but Lois understood that the life of a hero isn't that easy, but still she saved the day (except for the bullet of course, our Man of Steel can't just stay without doing something)

So, miss Lane already had her dose of secret identity and public heroism (costume included) when will Clark? I'm eager to know…
  • Chloe engages in the toughest battle of her life while trying to protect Clark, and her heart, from the demon in the cellar. And Lois takes her own metaphorical trip on the dark side in order to bring herself closer to her heart's desire.

After making 2 attempts at trying to engage myself in the current television disaster known as "Fringe" (I'm seeking a new show to replace Smallville because all addictions must eventually be replaced.) I am very happy that Smallville managed to show us that it still has the ability to present a dynamic and solid presentation of a fantastical world. While the opening scene's emphasis on Lois' stiletto heel pressing into the dude's throat was worthy of eliciting a thousand laughs, I was willing to forgive this overplay of the Director's hand because I was quickly drawn into some well-written Smallville drama. The writers did an excellent job of juxtaposing Chloe's angst ridden dilemma of abiding with evil in order to protect Clark with Lois' shameful ploy of sacrificing personal integrity in order to illuminate the hero that is Clark. And it was simply brilliant to have two people (Jimmy and Lois) who have always been suspicious of Clark's "abilities" to end up saving him from the bad guys. When Lois came crashing through that skylight, I believed in Lois' ability to perform the impossible because she was diving in to save her man! Ultimately, Lois and Clark saved each other in this scene – preparing them (and the audience) for the ever growing intensity of a romantic dance.

And I have to give a shout-out to Erica Durance. Erica is simply one of the most beautiful women on television today. Me thinks that Tom Welling will need to step up his game in Season 9 as Erica/Lois will challenge Clark/Tom in ways never revealed by Lana/Kristin. (Finally, someone on Smallville more beautiful than Tom - lol!) However, I cannot leave out Allison Mack's remarkable performance as well. The pain Allison conveyed when portraying Chloe's denial of the truth to Clark was authentic and worthy of Oscar consideration.

And Dominic Zamprogna's portrayal of the villain in this episode was Oscar worthy as well. When "Bruno" put the beat down on Jimmy, I thought he was certainly going to kill him – because few play crazy with as much intensity as Zamprogna did in this episode! Note to the producers: Shave Zamprogna's head and make him the "straight-from-the-grave" Lex Luthor! I'm scared already.

Luv me sum Smallville when they put it down like this!

For real!
  • The Heels of Steel

Stilleto-Lois needs a big story to boost her career, but the Red-Blue Blur proves too challenging for her investigative skills. However, when she rescues Chloe from a mugger, Lois decides to take advantage of the situation and disguise herself as Metropolis' newest hero - Stiletto. Although Clark disapproves, he soon finds himself counting on her help...

Well after a third (but brief) hiatus, Smallville is back for it's final 4 episodes of the season. Now, when hearing about "Stilleto", one might think that it's a ridiculous concept. I mean Lois dressing up as some tacky looking superhero with a name like Stilleto. It definately screamed "disaster". While "Stilleto" starts off like a typical filler episode, it quickly develops into something much more! In fact, I think this was a awesome storyline for Lois in retrospect. It fits the character's history of the silly and dangerous predicaments she has put herself in to get Superman's attention in the comics. On Smallville, Lois does the same to get the attention of the Red Blue Blur and it pays off in the end.

While the Stilleo scenes seem over-the-top and campy, I like the lesson that Lois learned by the end of the episode. She realizes if she wants a great story, she has to get it the right way and not create some elaborate schemes to do so. Erica Durance was great throughout and she really delievered some great lines like "Next time I'll call myself Nike" and "I should get back to my cave." Not to mention, the chemistry between her and Tom is getting to very natural rhythm, which is so much fun to watch. The dynamic between these 2 is beginning to rival even the chemistry of Christopher Reeves and Margorette Kidder of the classic Superman films and it's great seeing the classic Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman triangle beginning to make it's way to the series...finally! There were some great Clois scene between Clark and Lois, but the ones that standout are when Clark, being weakened by kryptonite, jumps in front of bullet to save Lois. It's like what Alicia did for Clark in "UnSafe", sacrificing his life for someone he loves. This was sucha huge development and it's obvious Clark's feelings for Lois are getting stronger than he even realizes. Then you have Lois' reaction, which was so moving. Lastly, is the Lois/RBB phone coversation. It's a defining moment for the series showing so much foreshadowing. Now, Lois is connected to the RBB and I loved how he asked if she could find a better name for him...WOW! Probably my new favorite moment from the series and this season has had good number of them.

In sub-plot news, we see Chloe struggling with the decision she made at the end of "Eternal" to hide Davis/Doomsday's presence from the world and it's already causing Chloe to psychologically breakdown. While we should hate Chloe for making such a decision, I can't help but feel heartbroken watching Chloe go through this. Allison Mack is acting the hell out of this storyline and there were moments throughout this episode like when she almost tells Lois her dark secret and when Clark asks her if she's okay where she hit all the right notes. But her best scene was without a doubt when Chloe is disposing of Doomsday's leftovers and is horrifyed by the blood on her hands. It was so compelling and I got tear-eyed just from how far Chloe has fallen. Jimmy returns again in this episode and a part of me feels like if you blink you'll miss him, lol. While Jimmy didn't get that much screentime, Aaron is doing great and I'm surprised by how much I'm caring about Jimmy's descent into drugs. You can tell all through this episode, like Chloe, he's so heartbroken that it's beyond repair. It was also great seeing Jimmy fighting side by side with Clark and Lois at th end, just seeing those 3 save each other and walking away together seemed symbolic, showing the strength of their solid relationships in the future. The only fault I found with the episode was the introduction of Bruno Mannheim and Intergang. They are major villains in the comics, but their Smallvillized versions left me iffy, mostly Bruno Mannheim himself. The actor seemed a bit forced and not as convincing as you want him to be. Then their whole motive with the kryptonite money?....meh! But I do like the idea of a war that the criminals of Metropols are waging against superheroes, which is another foreshadowing of the future. There some good humourous moments like Clark pretending that his bullet wound hurts and "Blue-letto"...priceless! Stilleto" is silly at first, but develops into a solid episode with some nice character development, compelling acting from Allison Mack and wonderful little moments throughout. Next week looks like all hell is already starting to break loose and I can't wait. This might be the best final run of episodes until the season finale the series ever had!
  • Lois Lane dawns a cape before Clark. Only on Smallville!

And so we're back from yet another Smallville hiatus. I'm honestly not sure why they do this, as it definitely factors into the audiences expectations of the episode coming off of the long the break. 'Stiletto' is a very silly episode. A VERY silly episode. It does tackle dual identities, and that solitary lifestyle Clark must struggle with, but there surely could have been a plethora of different ways to tackle the subject matter without resorting to such a camp episode.

A rare thing for Smallville, but there also happens to be too much going on at once. You have the A plot with Stiletto, the B plot with Chloe and the C plot with Jimmy. All three had potential, especially the latter, but they're unsuccessfully intertwined in such an annoyingly convenient way, it came off as slightly laughable.

Jimmy just happened to be working at the club for the guy who just happened to mug Chloe who just happened to be with Lois who just happened to be wearing a cape-like dress who just happened to recruit Jimmy for a hilarious scene (for all the wrong reasons) who randomly came back to his job with the camera he used to take snaps of Lois only to reveal that he knew Chloe AND Stiletto the very two people Bruno happened to be looking for. Phew. That's about right, isn't it?

Poor Chloe. Poor, poor Chloe! Smallville really is a show that's rather black or white: the good guys always triumph and quip till there's no tomorrow, while the bad guys always get their comeuppance. Chloe may have good intentions, albeit somewhat out of character, but her relationship with Davis has taken her to a place that effectively puts her on the dark side of the force. I've been wondering if somehow she retained information from her Brainiac days that gave her more insight into what Doomsday is, cos he hasn't really done anything to prove he is capable of taking on Clark -- yeah, he got tossed across the room in Bride, but Chloiac kicked Clark's ass in the fortress as well. There needs to be substantial reason as to why Chloe would actively participate in covering up Davis' murders. So far she's only going on Davis' word that he was sent to destroy Clark and that nothing can kill him...Clark has been through quite a frickin bit over the past 8 years, what has changed so much that would force Chloe to become Davis'new eveel sidekick?

***

Everyone in this hour, with the exception of Clark, seemed to go off the rail a little. Lois demeans herself by concocting up a story just so she can get a frontpager, Jimmy's off working for mob-bosses and doing drugs (this time, NON prescribed - hardcore!) and Chloe has pretty much signed her own death warrant come finale time. Lois redeems herself towards the end, thankfully, as we realise her true intentions, but Chloe severs all ties with Clark. This may have been a bit of a hokey episode, but it ends on a rare note where anything could happen now.

Smallville hasn't been afraid to manipulate Superman's origins to suit the purpose of the season. It has done stuff in the past that has sent fans into a frenzy. Would it be too far fetched to think they might off Jimmy? He hasn't got a scratch on a Chloe, but he's heading down an unusual self destructive road. Smallville usually plays with meteor-related Metaphors when it wants to deal with subject matter like drug addiction, but Jimmy is taking the real deal. Chloe and Jimmy are far from where they started, and Smallville really only deals in black or white, which means one of them has to go. Jimmy is a cannon character. Chloe is a Smallville original who has been with the series from Day 1. As much it as pains me to say it, I think our lovable hacker-turned-killer is on her last legs. Although it would be an audacious move to make, and a shocking one at that, if Jimmy were to be the one to meet his maker.

The rapport between Clark and Lois may be better than ever, but the main storyline was just plain silly. The subplots kept this one afloat, and the final 10 minutes remind us why we even watch this show (Tom and Allison are just brilliant in those last few moments). Maybe it's a tactical ploy on behalf of the writers? Lower our defences right before the big shockers hit us in droves (next week looks to be a cracker!). And don't even get me started on Lois' getup...

____

Clark: ''You could have a bag over your head and I'd still knows it's you''.

- Are we to believe that Lois manages to not only smash through a glass roof from another building, but kick a guy on the way down AND land gracefully, WITHOUT breaking her heels...or, ya know...her legs?

- Ack, I really dislike when the show gets too self-referential ''I was going to sew an "S" into the chest. Is that tacky?'' - And what was with the cheesy music in this episode?

------

Overall, it's a muddled episode with a ludicrous main plot, redeemed somewhat by a solid ending. The relationship between Clark/Lois/Superman really gets going, just as Chloe disconnects from Clark. The show seems to be preparing to make the transition from red-blue-blur to Superman, which means cutting off all ties to Smallville, Kansas. That would also mean Chloe :(
  • It's been a while since Lois has had her last headline, so after saving Chloe from a mugger she invents a new superhero, Stiletto. The new hero comes with a price as crime boss Bruno Manheim captures Clark and Jimmy leaving Lois to the rescue.

What a great episode. The last fifteen minutes may be among my favorite in the history of the series. The two scenes I am referring to are first where Clark, Lois, and Jimmy work together to stop Manheim. I hope we are going to see more of that trio together next season. I am just happy to see Aaron Ashmore back. He's considered a regular cast member, and it will be lucky if he even appears in 50% of the episodes this year. He deserves better than that. The second was the scene with Lois talking to the "Red-Blue Blur" in the phone booth. At first I thought she was probably going to end up talking to some nut. Instead, it really was Clark, using Oliver's voice synthesizer. Tom and Erica have so much chemistry that it is a shame the producers have taken so long to get them to let their respective characters interact more often. I did deduct one point for the Chloe-Davis thing. That is just one lousy non-sensical storyline. Luckily, it was kept to a minimum this week. I'm not a Chloe fan, but good God, what is she doing with Davis? I thought it was to keep him from killing more people, but apparently not. So she and Jimmy are divorced? After all the time they invested in them as a couple, they sure blew through their breakup awfully fast.
  • Stiletto comes to Smallville.

5.5
    I have usually been very generous when it comes to Smallville episodes,but personally this one didn't do it for me.I didn't notice any flaws in the directing or the writing,i just felt that this episode would have been better placed mid-season,rather than 4 episodes before the finale.It did advance certain plots,but after Eternal i was expecting more.The obvious problem here is Erica Durance's episode number.They don't put her in more than 12 so they use her a lot in the ones that she is in.But there were times when i felt that Clark took forever to appear on my sceeen again.On to the acting.

Tom Welling had a great episode as Clark.He was caring and very heroic.Him saving Lois or anyone else without his powers is always a special moment for me.He had fantastic chemistry and some good exchanges with Lois.Allison Mack put in a stellar performance.Chloe seemed disjointed from her main plot and that's not hard to understand why:a certain beast in her basement.She is really over her head and one has to wonder how she will get herself out of this.Allison rocked the final scene when she went to the dumpster.Fantastic acting.Erica Durance appeared a lot in Stiletto.You can understand Lois' frustration with her article-drought even though in Hex we thought that she had really made the big leagues of repeorters.Of course she looked sexy in the outfit and was also very heroic.It was border line on becoming too much but i think that they controlled her superhero fantasy.I liked her last scene on the phone with the Blur.She couldn't see him so it was extra difficult for her.With Chloe having her beast-ly problems, Lois could be the one person that Clark can talk to.I don't know what to make of Jimmy right now.We should have seen him in Hex and found out what he was doing post break up.Obviously he is getting deep with his addiction problem and at the moment seems kind of lost.I don't have too much to say about the gangsters.They gave them a lot of screen time but i didn't particulary care.I could have if they had given us a glimpse of them in previous episodes.Oh,and counterfiting money with Kryptonite?Really?

Overall it was a solid episode but i think it's time to turn the jog into a sprint.The next 2 episodes should really build the tension and shape the finale.Roll on Beast.
  • Great Episode!

I loved it! 10!

It had all of the elements that make up Superman. It was fun, light-hearted, had some grit and a battle against real life crime, provided Lois and Clark with good lessons, showed Lois and Clark (and Jimmy too) as heroes and a great ending!

I loved:

*Lois kicking ass at the beginning
    *Lois's misguided idea being so Lois
    *The comedy and the quotes and the accent: "Lois? Who's Lois? I'm Stiletto. I better get back to my cave.." "Next time I call myself Nike." I also loved her modeling-esque photo shoot she had Jimmy take pictures of!
    *"Blur-etto"? LMAO!
    *The introduction of Bruno Mannheim and the idea that there will be this backlash of crime to strike back against "the capes"
    *Lois and Clark secretly waiting for the police scanner to bring up something and trying to be coy
    *How Lois owned up to her mistake and felt bad once Clark told her it wasn't the way and she realized Jimmy was missing
    *How Lois threw caution to the wind to save Clark and Jimmy
    *How Clark sacrificed himself when vulnerable to save Lois
    *Lois feeling terrible about putting Clark in harm's way, going overboard to do things for him at work, trying to find the right way to thank him and Clark knowing how hard it is for her to put into words saying "You're welcome, Lois", and Lois munching on the treats she gave him as her way of breaking out of being flustered!
    *The final scene. "Can you read my mind?" *over the moon with happiness!* I loved that shout out. I loved everything that was said, how it was made obvious that Lois wants Clark and she thinks it won't happen and she's thrown herself into her work. How she told him that she didn't know what she'd do if she didn't have her work because she feels like she has nothing else. How nervous and impressed she was (totally Lois) by how selfless "RBB" is and how much she admires that, reminding me of:

"I've met a lot of men that wanted to own the world, I haven't met very many who want to save it. When will I ever meet someone like that again?" "Lois, I promise, someday? You'll met someone even more special."

Just how she still so clearly loves Clark (her breakdown of how good he's doing at his job during their waiting for the police scanner to go off and when he was in danger and trying to thank him) and she is throwing herself into work and her past comfort zone (heroes who are unavailable) so that she doesn't breakdown heartbroken. And Clark, I loved how sweet he was with her and how impressed and happy he was with her reactions to him. I loved mentions on working on the name (lol) and that Lois would be the one to find a better one, and however they do it next season they have to find ways to get them to meet face to face as Lois and Superman (Zatanna magics perhaps for identity concealment?). But this was so reminding me of Lois and Superman at the end, Erica's Lois giving that touch of Margot "nervous as a school girl" over him but totally in her own style and Clark proud and confident giving that Christopher Reeve Superman vibe but totally Tom's own style.

Nothing this season to me beats the BQM double feature of Committed & Hex, but this one is right up there with Identity and Bloodline for me, maybe even my 3rd favorite this season. I really enjoyed it. It was a Lois-centric episode that also really showed Clark as a hero and not just because he has powers. It really showed that in that last battle neither Lois nor Clark (nor Jimmy) had powers, and they were all heroes. Add in our first glimpse of Smallville's Lois and Superman and you've got yourself a winner. Super job Erica and Tom!!
  • One of the best episodes to date.

The show starts of with Lois not getting an invite to
    a press benifit, an Lois is being Lois. (Perfectly)
    The show starts to move with in diffrent directions,
    but there leading to the same place. The show just seems to come together when we see more of the regular cast, not just one or two. We get to see what
    Jimmy has been up to. And we see a new branch started
    with him and just what is he getting into. We don't see him, but Davis is felt. And the nightmare that Chloe is going through. The writer's have started to step up. The kryptonite ink in counterfit money. It was a great bit and helped Clark to show to his friends that he's just a normal guy. And we see the begining of Clark coming out and talking to Lois, or should I say, " the red, blue blur"... Hope I didn't
    give away to much. For those that havn't watched it yet.
  • Once again, Smallville succeeds in making an episode with a potentially silly premise very enjoyable.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes when I saw the commercial for this one. Lois as a super-hero? Ridiculous. But then they pulled it off by having Lois not actually trying to be a super-hero, but instead trying to get a story. That makes infinitely more sense. As does her realization by the end that it was not only stupid and dangerous, but unethical as well. I'd expect nothing less from the future-greatest reporter in the world.

I was fully expecting this to be a filler episode. But there were actually some great strides made in Lois and Clark's relationship, as well as Lois and "Superman." The fact that Lois wants to support Superman and not exploit him is a great angle for their future relationship. He takes care of the world and she takes care of him. That's always been my favorite interpretation of their married life.

Thank God someone finally brought up the point that "The Red-Blue Blur" is a stupid name. Just call him "Superman" already! Despite all this, I was actually kind of annoyed that Lois and Superman's first communication was over the phone. That just felt wrong to me. Very cheap way of dealing with the whole "Clark has no disguise" issue. But they recovered a little by putting Lois in a phone booth, which everyone knows is important to Superman's iconography. I liked Mannheim as a villain as well. Since he's THE major crime boss in Metropolis in Superman's time, I hope he sticks around. We could use more long-term villains, and I think the actor did a superb job. Plus, a villain who is actually, you know, a professional villain opens up all kinds of story potential.

I'm getting a little tired of Chloe and Davis. This reminds me a little too much of Lana and that Adam guy. But it looks like that might all come to a head next week. I hope so. But I did enjoy Doomsday sneaking up behind that mobster that was threatening Chloe. And while I'm already tired of drugged-out Jimmy, I did enjoy that at the end of the episode, it was Clark, Lois and Jimmy teaming up to take down Mannheim. Let's see more of that grouping. But get Jimmy off the crack first. This episode could have been very annoying and stupid. It ended up being very enjoyable and rather important to various mythology points. A pleasant little surprise
  • I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. It sort of had a filler feel to it but still good.

First and foremost lets get through the more serious aspects of this ep. Cloe is one step away from losing it. She has been smacked around, abandoned by her Watchtower cronies and now is an accessory to murder. Granted, the thug was about to cut her throat but she is hiding a monster in her basement. Kudos to Miss Mack...good acting.

Now for the fun..Lois made a good Superhero. Though anyone walking the streets of Metropolis might have thought she was something else. And where was the good citizens of the city? One of the largest cities in the DC universe and no one is usually around.
    The scene where Clark and Lois are sitting at the desk waiting was funny. And is Clark starting to take some of Miss Lane's thunder? She seemed a bit angry that he has been doing so well.

One thing confused me...how does Krytonite improve counterfit money? And did Jimmy steal some to use in buying whatever it is he is buying? Poor Clark...just think, those bills are floating around the city now. Who knows when one might cross his path.

Overall...great episode. They even brought back Clark's superhearing. Been awhile it seems since we saw that.
  • Lois is anxious to get a front page story, so she comes up with the idea to be her own superhero.

Another great episode. /it started out a little slow but picked up. The idea of Lois being her own hero was pretty cool. I liked that Clark and Lois flirted in this episode it was cute. Chloe having her doubts about doomsday is definetley interesting. I think it was dumb that Chloe didn't tell Clark about Doomsday though. Jimmy's back. It was nice to see what was going on with him. He made some bad choices so hopefully he can get himself out of those situations. I like how Lois was crying when Clark was shot, it showed that she definitley cared. Nothing with Clark embracing his destiny hapened but it was still a good episode. I await next weeks.
  • Loved Clois scenes

I see a love triangle building up between Lois, Clark and RBB. Which is true Sumperman syle. Lois and Clark were so cute in this episode. At first, I thought this episode was going to be all about Lois wearing a tight outfit trying to save people. But I'm glad that it actually had a storyline behind it and it has a deeper meaning. Lois and Clark are growing closer, Jimmy is still overdosing on pills, Chloe is helping Davis/doomsday get rid of the bodies that he kills and she is getting in deeper with Davis/Doomsday and Doomsday saves Chloe's life. Can't wait until the season finale.