Smallville

Talisman

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 05, 2004 on The CW

• Will The Real Naman Please Stand Up?

Talisman-Jeremiah Holdsclaw, a young Kiwatche Indian, steals a mythic knife from the tribal caves and gets superpowers similar to Clark's. Jeremiah believes he is the fulfillment of the ancient prophecy of Naman, "the man who fell from the stars." He sets out to kill Lionel with the knife, and Clark must stop him without revealing his own secret.

An effective episode that sees the return of the Naman mythology of the caves. The development of the mystical knife is intriguing as well as the Kryptonian powers they give Jeremiah. Nathaniel Arcand is good as Jeremy yet we never see the full of extent of Jeremiah's rampage or what he can do. But I love how the episode goes back to the prophecy of Naman and about his greatest enemy, which develops into the possibility of Lex or Lionel. It's obvious that Lex will become Clark's greatest enemy but it's nice that the writers played with the idea that it could be either father or son.

I love the action sequences of the episode like Jeremiah using heat vision to destory Clark's truck and the fight scene between Clark and Jeremiah in the woods. I also love how Jeremiah ties up Lionel and puts kryptonian symbols all over his body as it makes for a disturbing scene. Gordon Tootoosis (Joseph Willowbrook) makes for a good mentor to Clark and serves a purpose in Clark's destiny. Also, the last scene between Clark and Lex as Lex suggests that Naman could be the enemy of the prophecy is storng forshadowing of future for the yet to be enemies. All and All, Talisman is a solid episode that pushes Clark's destiny slightly forward with hints of the future.