Smash

Pilot

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Feb 06, 2012 on NBC

• A Real Disappointment

I went into Smash with high hopes and high expectations given the the reputations of those in front of and behind the camera. I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed. I know there is not a lot that can be done in the span of a one hour episode but I found the characters very one-dimensional, the plot points predictable and the story tiring. Part of the issue is Katherine McPhee who I just don't find that likable - never liked her on Idol, still don't. It's hard to have a show where the person I am supposed to be rooting for I just find insufferable - your mileage may vary. especially if your are a fan of McPhee.
  • A smashing beginning

Smash has been often compared with Glee or the old Fame series. It has actually little in common with both of them. No school hopefuls here, but professionals that try to make a living in the tough world of Broadway. The comparison with Glee is strengthened by the inclusion of musical pieces within the episode. However, while in Glee the musical numbers have a life of their own, in Smash they are cleverly integrated into the story.

The only common ground these three shows have is the fascination of performing.

However, Smash brings an additional value by showing not just the point of view of the singers, but the whole creative process behind a musical, from the writing to composing to directing and even the pains of production. It makes a great job in conveying the excitement of shaping a new show and this is the main reason why this pilot works almost perfectly. This is helped by a good choice of the cast and by the not conventional treatment of the characters. For example, even if it's obvious that the star of the show is Karen, they made a good job in depicting Ivy in a sympathetic light. You really feel the sadness that they can choose only one of them for the role of Marilyn!

The "almost" is due to the inclusion of some personal storylines that are not so engaging (Julia's adoption issues, Ellis firing and rehiring) and do not add anything to the episode. At least for this episode, however, the spotlight is elsewhere, and we can enjoy fully the creation of Marilyn!
  • Fantastic

I was expecting the show to be amazing, but I was not expecting it to live up to my expectations.

New TV-shows never live up to our expectations these days, but 'Smash' did. The pilot was absolutely fantastic. I was hooked right from the start, and I am so exited to see where they will take this later on in the season.

I don't really like any of the actors originally, but I have to admit that they were all great, especially Debra Messing. So far, Julia is my favorite character.

I loved the pilot, and I really hope that they can keep up the good work, and hopefully make the show even better.
  • Not liking it...

I guess I expected too much from this show but I guess I blame all the over hype from the commercials. Katherine Mcphee's character is just not likable for me. She's supposed to be the main character but I really just cannot stand her. I wont stop there though, I really didn't like any of the characters. The only highlight of the episode was the baseball performance which even then was a little hokey.

My biggest problem with the episode however, was the ridiculous *subtle* product placement. The whole episode felt like a Mac infomercial. It was incredibly annoying, and it wasn't as if this show needed a huge budget for the episode either, it just didn't make sense.

Debra Messing's character's family structure was the only thing interesting I found about the episode. Everything else wasn't great especially for a pilot episode.
  • Smashingly great!

I never thought I would say considering it's not my type of thing..... but I loved it. The pilot was just great: from the acting to the writing. Although I'm not a fan of Katherine Mcphee, I do think she did a good job with her role of someone who wants to make it and prove herself to everyone. That being said, my main issue is that if I had to choose between the two leads it would be a no brainer.... I don't see how it's so difficult, Ivy is so perfect for the role in so many ways. She just has that innocence and fragile persona while still being sexy.

I truly hope that it does well and that people like it as it's a truly great show.
  • Smashing!

This show is just smashing! It's like watching a movie, only you get to have more drama coming in the next few episodes. At first, I didn't think Katharine McPhee could pull it off, but she did (though I like Ivy Lynn more for the part of Marilyn). I also love that they started out with a Marilyn musical. Can't wait for the opening night of 'Marilyn'! :D

I give it 8 shining stars (2 each for Karen, Ivy Lynn, Jack Davenport and Debra Messing)!
  • Likely to be a "Smash" hit (pun intended).

Pretty good pilot, good pace, didn't overdo the songs, yet still kept them like a musical. I liked the drama, however they try to put to much of it in there when that sometimes unnecessary. I would've liked to find out more about the two conflicting leads than worry about why Debra Messing's character is adopting a child, for example. As the show hopefully wants you to, I still can't decide which girl I like to play Marilyn more. If only the one with yellow hair was really unlikeable, it'd make it so much easier. When I saw the scene with her on the phone, I thought it was a bit sad, and made me sympathize with her character more. Have to wait a while till the next one, although I liked that they released this early!