Smash

Publicity

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Apr 23, 2012 on NBC

• Go Bollywood!

Seriously, without the amazing Bollywood scene this episode would lose at least two points! Especially because the two main storylines of the episode are a bit weird... from one side, it seems that the authors have the gift of making anything involving Julia's family incredibly bad. It is amazing how little I care about that side of the story after so many plots dedicated to it. From the other side, the sudden liking of Rebecca for Karen looks forced and not really believable. Why should she care to fulfill Karen's dream of becoming famous (especially through gossip)? At the beginning I thought it was a ruse from Rebecca's part to create problems to a potential rival on the show, but it doesn't seem like that, so I am a bit lost.

The best things actually seem to come from the secondary stories; apart from Ellis, well on the way he took several episodes ago to become the most caricature villain currently present on TV, there are cute moments here and there. These moments, together with the Bollywood scene and the final song, which is not a great piece of music but it's pretty emotional, actually save the day.