Smash

The Dramaturg

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Feb 19, 2013 on NBC

• OY GEVALT, THIS SHOW IS DUMB!

What is up with Jimmy?!? He's hypersensitive, continually storming out of perfectly amicable conversations, and somehow expects people to pursue him, which they inevitably do. It's all so ludicrously unlikely. He doesn't want anyone to see, hear or sing his music, he offends everyone who shows any interest in him, and he keeps insisting that he doesn't need "help," because he can get this musical going on his own. Well no, Jimmy, you can't. You need singers, dancers, financial backers and a venue, and then you need an audience: scores, maybe hundreds of people who are all going to be listening to your music and deciding whether they like it or not. You can't storm out on all of them like you did at your party. In this episode, Jimmy bursts in to the Marilyn rehearsals and applauds, even though no one else is doing that, and when he realises that Broadway director Derek Wills doesn't know who he is, what he does he do? He storms out! Poor little Jimmy throws a hissy fit, AGAIN! And as always, people run after him to placate him. Not just his room-mate, and Karen (whom he seems to hate because she has shown an interest in his music), but Derek himself! Derek and Karen actually go to his apartment to hear his music, and Derek apologises for not paying him attention at rehearsals. "Hello Jimmy," he says, "I like your But Jimmy doesn't turn around, oh no, 'cause JIMMY MAD. Jimmy's feelings have been hurt. So Derek says "sorry, I was a bit busy and finally, Jimmy caves. Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Jimmy's hissy fits. He's like a sulky toddler. Thing is, while I've never auditioned for Broadway, I've had numerous job interviews. I've never stomped out of any of them, and no one has ever come to my apartment late at night to apologise for not giving me their full attention. PEOPLE DO NOT DO THAT. In the real world, Jimmy would be grateful for anyone with Broadway connections showing an interest in his music (and he wouldn't keep it private BECAUSE SHOWBUSINESS ISN'T PRIVATE, that's why it's called "show" business) and no one would be chasing him down to placate him every time he gets moody. I thought this season might be better, but Derek is still Derek, and Karen is falling all over him and calling herself his "muse," plus they've made Karen uber-nasty, while Ivy is still the better singer and eminently more suitable to play Marilyn. I don't even like hate-watching this anymore. The writing is just terrible. Jimmy has a good voice, and the "Broadway" tune was good, but his character is utterly ridiculous. There are NO sympathetic characters in this train-wreck of a show, and catchy songs are not enough!