We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Smash Lab Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on Discovery ChannelBetween Seasons

Post Production Issues

lazyjay

[1]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 30
    So, I really want to like Smash Lab, but I'm finding it barely watchable. I've seen some reviews saying that the hosts are boring, but I think that's not really the issue. In my opinion the problems are arising during post production.
    1) The editing is terrible. The hosts aren't slugs, they do and say interesting things, but the editing is not turning it into an interesting story. The instant replay of the destruction needs to be more spread out... not just the same scene repeated 10 times in 20 seconds.
    2) The narration is simply dull. Say something interesting! I know they're trying to brand this as a "fun science show", but the narration needs to be less like a "worms of the serenghetti" science show and more like ... well ... Mythbusters.
    3) The soundtrack is missing. Where's the background music? A soundtrack can liven up even the dullest visual. Maybe it's there and I just missed it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Synetech

[2]May 4, 2008
    • level: 22
    lazyjay wrote:
    The instant replay of the destruction needs to be more spread out... not just the same scene repeated 10 times in 20 seconds.

Do NOT watch Moment of Truth!

stromgald30

[3]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 2

I have to agree with this assessment, at least for the first season. I started watching at the begining of Season 2. As a big Mythbusters fan, I thought this would be a good show but never got around to watching more than snippets of Smash Labs. After watching Ep 1 of Season 2, I thought it was a solid show and went to watch Season 1 online. BIG MISTAKE. Season one is atrocious. I got through 2 1/2 episodes of mind numbing banter before I gave up.

In season 1, all the characters seemed to use scripted one-liners. They always seem to pair up into the same teams, and the teams rarely seemed to interact with each other once they were formed. It also seemed like the narrator was doing most of the talking and explanation. In season 2 they've gotten lightened up on Deanne's 'scientist' label (Thank God!), and brought in more team member interactions. They've also copied the Mytbuster's routine of having team members predict what will happen rather than the "It's going to be amazing" or "This is going to be a big one!" that was going on in Season 1.

We also get more (detailed!) explanations from the team members rather than the simplified drivel from the narrator. Another plus in my opinion is that they got rid of Nick from Season 1 (he never seemed to really fit in), and the "the ideas guy" who I thought was just stupid. An ideas guy is just someone that doesn't want to ground himself in reality, which is a must for these types of shows.

If you hated season 1, don't write this show off just yet. Watch some of Season 2. It isn't as great as Mythbusters but it certainly isn't bad. They've improved it quite a bit. It's gone from a 3.5 to a 7-7.5 for me.

seanconery

[4]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 10
    Season 1 was funny, season 2 is a new level of supidity and hilarity. This show has it all, action, explosion, comedy and of course drama. With Deanne nearly dying twice on the same expisode.

regularDude

[5]Nov 23, 2008
    • level: 4
    Agreed. We never get to see the crash start to end, ever! they cut it so much, we get micro-segments, sometimes switching to a new angle between them. They never let you see the full actual event.