Smith Forums

CBS (ended 2006)

Smith Show Status - Ended

fatkid78

[21]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 3
    This show had an initial order of 13 episodes.  Does anyone know if the complete order was filmed in advance of cancellation?  It would be great to see the complete series released on DVD.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JaCkKbAuEr2424

[22]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 33
    I didn't like Kidnapped or Vanished, or, for that matter, barely any of the new shows that premiered this season. Smith, along with Studio 60 and Jericho, are the only two I've actually taken interest in, and Smith is appearently done. Liotta was a great actor, and I would've liked to see CBS not pull the show out because it wasn't making CSI-esque ratings

Marie222

[23]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    This was my favorite new show this season, oh well...

Santas_Hitman

[24]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 1
    Was one of the few new shows that was actually half decent, and at
    least somewhat unique. There has gotta be at least a million lawyer
    dramas and a million CSI type shows, yet for some reason those shows
    stay. Oh well the networks never really made very good decisions, seems
    most of the good shows get axed anyway.

Gnidrolog

[25]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    Accordig to Warner Bros. Television they have OT stopped production on Smith, so there may be a slight ray of hope.(get it? Ray? Hope?)

Gnidrolog

[26]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    Accordig to Warner Bros. Television they have OT stopped production on Smith, so there may be a slight ray of hope.(get it? Ray? Hope?)

EdApeman

[27]Oct 10, 2006

I can't believe they are cancelling this one. I was happy to see CBS could create something other than just adding cities in their CSI lineup. (Not that CSI is bad, but do we really need 3 frickin identical shows???)

nikkie_fikkie

[28]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 15
    I am truly sad to see this show go. I really enjoyed it and will miss it alot. I think the people at the network are morons.

tonyrflannagan

[29]Oct 10, 2006
    Smith is a great show, how does CBS shoot down this show (which hardly had a chance to get off the ground) but shows like Jericho and Kidnapped don't? I don't get it.

spilt_milk

[30]Oct 10, 2006
    what OT

djariya

[31]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 19
    According to TV Guide they have stopped production as of Monday. There are no plans to air the remaining episodes. I wonder how many were actually shot? One thing I noticed was that I never saw Ray Liotta or Virginia Madsen promote the show. You would think CBS' PR department would have them appear on Letterman or something to help generate some buzz.

UltraTraveler

[32]Oct 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    I wanna see the rest of the show ~.~

poiuyt49

[33]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 2

I've come to the conclusion that with new 'serial' type shows like "Smith" on Big Broadcast networks [ABC, etc.] in which you might be interested, if you have access to a TiVo or DVR, you should record the first 7 or 8 episodes without watching them.  Then, you can find out if the idiot savants who run the networks will kill the show after just a few episodes.  If they do, just delete the recordings without having wasted time in getting engaged in the story.  If they don't cancel it, then watch 'em on a rainy weekend sans commercials and catch up. Cable shows [like, e.g., Dexter this year] are different because cable outfits like HBO and Showtime are less quick to pull the trigger to kill the show and plug in reruns if they don't like the numbers / demographics after 2 weeks. 

I find what they did with a show like this really offensive.  They bring in two quality Theatrical film actors [Liotta, Madsen], start a serial with a continuing story, and pull the rug out after just a few episodes.  The first series the big networks ever did like this serial approach [sort of] was "Murder One" a few years ago, but at least they committed to finish the story by showing the whole season.  By doing what they did with "Smith" they are breaching an unstated bargain with the viewers that they will finish the first story line and we will watch.  It happened last season with "Threshold", and I'm sure there are other shows where it happened that I just didn't watch.  So, screw 'em. No more new 'serials' for me until I know if the show is going to make it to a resolution of the first story line.  Whadda you think?

PutU2REM

[34]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    poiuyt49 wrote:
    No more new 'serials' for me until I know if the show is going to make it to a resolution of the first story line. Whadda you think?
    I think that will mean no more serials. Networks are risk averse. If they feel they have to air an entire season of a show, regardless of how it does, they won't do the show.

In an ideal world with reasonable execs, though, it's a great idea. Personally, I like how the Japanese handle their anime. Almost all their shows are serials, and almost all the shows wrap up completely after 26 episodes, never to be seen again. All shows get a minimum of 13 episodes, even if the show tanks. I like that, because almost all serials that run longer run out of steam by the 2nd season (Lost and Alias being prime examples). At the very least, they should wrap up a complete story arc by season's end, a la 24.

MrKennedy7

[35]Oct 18, 2006
    Well, i liked this show very much and i think that the main reason that it went worng was, first because the network(CBS) didn't believe in the project and cancelled it only after 3 eps. Then the lack of patience and good taste to enjoy good acting and good plot. Most of the viewers don't like the bad characters and since this cast was only "bad characters" they decided not to see the show because they only like baby faces... Cancel House instead!

tomhughes

[36]Oct 18, 2006
    I think that if Smith was allowed to run longer it would probably pick up more viewers. Ray liota is one great actor and its too bad that the show won,t be aired longer to pick up more momentum.

ott666

[37]Oct 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    This show was too much like FX's Thief.

Robanhood

[38]Oct 20, 2006

After watching the first three episodes I can't believe they cancelled this! This show was so good, it had good actors, good characters, excitement building in the plot... I was really waiting for what would have happened next - and plonk, gone! While other mundane shows go on... unbelievable!

Rolfz

[39]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    It is saddening to see this show get cancelled so fast. It is all about the ratings

But, who knows... the remaining episodes that have been shot and not aired may appear on an Australian or British channel at some point, which will be ripped and downloadable through well-known ways

cardsbykim

[40]Oct 29, 2006
    Me and my husband loved it too
    my dad also was watching it

so give it a chance and let us see the other episodes as we was really enjoying it