Smith Forums

CBS (ended 2006)

Smith Show Status - Ended

liquidvx81

[41]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    kendahlj wrote:
    I liked it but it was too dark. There were little redeeming qualities to any of the main characters. I thought Smith was better than both Heist and Thief combined but there was little chance for survival. At least with other shows where the main dudes are bad, like Prison Break, you like the characters (except the child molester in PB) despite their flaws. I didn't like any of these characters in Smith (but loved the action...) I do think it deserved more time to gain a fan base. I think all shows deserve at least that.

As for Vanished, I think the acting is the worst I've seen in a primetime drama ever... Kidnapped was better in that category. (No one will ever make a show as good as 24 so they should just quit trying...)

Vanished is the worst acting? Have you seen Jericho?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skyfxl

[42]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 2

kendahlj wrote:
    As for Vanished, I think the acting is the worst I've seen in a primetime drama ever... Kidnapped was better in that category. (No one will ever make a show as good as 24 so they should just quit trying...)

I haven't seen Vanished, but if the acting in that is any worse than that of Kidnapped, then wow....I don't really know what to say, coz I thought it couldn't get any worse.

eblood12

[43]Nov 26, 2006
    AprilFox wrote:
    Im not surprised, I posted a review that said the show needed lots of work and was shot down for it. Im sad because I love Ray Liotta but this show was just dreary. I called it on Kidnapped as well, Vanished is far better. Oh well Im sure alot more shows will disappear. Hopefully they will come up with something more original, I love The Nine.

Your horrible want to know why? Because people such as yourself watch the same old crud year in year out and help kill interesting and NEW shows when they come out. Im not even remotely interested in anything you have to say about it either.

buildrich

[44]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 12

The three episodes broadcast left a fan of this genre hungering for more. TV Guide's Fall Preview issue said the producers promised heists in episode #5 and #10, leaving time to plan them and, yes, develop characters' relationships. One would have thought that CBS' standing in the ratings would have allowed for more patience in gaining a following. HAH! They were even worse than Fox with "Vanished" and NBC with "Kidnapped". Three episodes, then stream the rest for 30 days. Thanks a lot.

I agree with comments that this would have been better suited to Fox -- they at least broadcast nine episodes of the vastly inferior "Vanished"; and made the remaining four available online.

ijrobins

[45]Feb 19, 2007

The cancelling of Smith smacks of the current trend that dumber television is better television. Good acting, great story, and excellent characters makes me wish this show would come back. My only criticism is that in several episodes (episode 7 for example) very little happens. However, such is the case early in shows when characters need to be developed, and clearly the writers had very specific characters in mind for Smith.

If only this show had been picked up by another network, we might have at least seenĀ one full season. I'm not a big fan of Ray Liotta, but he was well suited to his role.

jww047

[46]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 16
    Wow, this must have been a terrible show to only have 3 episodes air!

DygitalNinja

[47]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    PutU2REM wrote:
    poiuyt49 wrote:
    No more new 'serials' for me until I know if the show is going to make it to a resolution of the first story line. Whadda you think?
    I think that will mean no more serials. Networks are risk averse. If they feel they have to air an entire season of a show, regardless of how it does, they won't do the show.

In an ideal world with reasonable execs, though, it's a great idea. Personally, I like how the Japanese handle their anime. Almost all their shows are serials, and almost all the shows wrap up completely after 26 episodes, never to be seen again. All shows get a minimum of 13 episodes, even if the show tanks. I like that, because almost all serials that run longer run out of steam by the 2nd season (Lost and Alias being prime examples). At the very least, they should wrap up a complete story arc by season's end, a la 24.

-FIRST if you don't watch new shows...then they never make it past that first arc

-second, yeah alot of Japanese serials are good or NOT MILKING THE GOAT BONE DRY...like some American shows are were popular shows can sometimes run past their logical conclusion or worse the point when the Powers that be loose creative steeam

the latter definatly happened with ALIAS , but not LOST ...which was still awesome...I wait for a whole season (or most of it) to say a show has jumped not after 4 or 5 so-so episodes....

24 is a serial show that solves the first season...as it just starts over each year...Jack isn't still fighting the Drazen's his he?

so really both of these things can be avoided

TanieBananie

[48]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think they couldn't afford to keep the show. They had mainly movie actors and high budget scenes. To bad really I loved that show.

motocrossmom

[49]Oct 6, 2007

Smith was a favorite of mine, THe cast was perfect. Why did they pull the plug before finishing the first story line?? Smith was written to want to switch over to good guy too early in the story line. But we did not even get a chance to really make an informed opinion about this show!! Who is in charge of the CBS line up? This person is obviously under 30, doesn't listen to viewer reviews, and thinks reality tv on CBS is what should air. CBS has so much reality tv on it is crazy. CBS sat last for years, then it came out with great programming, then cancelled it, and replaced it with stupid reality shows. Survivor is old, Kid Nation? Are they serious? I guess they want to follow Fox and become the channel that attracts kids. What happened to Kidnapped, Smith, and the Guardian?? Big Brother is fun for the summer, while I have only checked out 2 of the 8 seasons. CBS, are you listening to those of us who watch tv everynight? The kids watch only a couple nights a week. Us old (35+) fogies will go elsewhere for programs that are intelligent. Don't be hasty and cancel Cane. This is a show with well known actors and good writing. Give us a break and listen up.

motocrossmom

[50]Oct 6, 2007
    you are probably right on about the cast payroll. Well known respected actors in one tv show may break the bank. Too bad. It had potential.

motocrossmom

[51]Oct 6, 2007

jww047,

You would think that a show being cancelled after only a few shows would be pretty aweful. But to the contrary, this was a well casted drama that was not piloted with a fast enough plot. I wish you had watched.