Smith

CBS (ended 2006)

Smith Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• Hard to follow if you tuned in late

5.5
    I\'ll tell you the problem as I see it: It was hard to get into if you missed the initial episode. I actually missed the first 2 episodes, but tuned in following a strong recommendation. After watching for about 10-15 minutes, I realized that I didn\'t know who was who or what the heck was going on, and I didn\'t really care, so I changed the channel. I\'m sure if I\'d have persevered, I\'d have eventually caught on (not that it mattered as it turned out), but at that point, it just didn\'t grab me. Maybe the same thing happened to others who missed the initial show(s). I\'ve started watching other serials, like 24 or Sopranos, in their midst and was immediately drawn in. That just didn\'t happen here...to me anyway.
  • BRING BACK SMITH!!! It is the best show on CBS this Fall!!

Smith is the best new show I\\\'ve seen this season!! It is exciting to watch because of all the surprises in the show. You never know what will happen next!! I looked forward to Tues. nites with CBS at 9:00 p.m. because of Smith! I can\\\'t believe it was cancelled!! What is wrong with the network?? Instead they put on stupid shows like sitcoms!! BRING BACK SMITH!!!
  • I loved Smith and couldn't wait for new episodes.

I really enjoyed this show and found myself making sure to not miss an episode. With so many new shows on tv, for this one to get the axe was very frustrating. This show was full of action, right from the very beginning and we were just getting to know the characters. I thought this was the best new show of the season.
  • Watch a crime ring in action! All the excitment, mystery, action, and drama you could ask for. With a steller cast, great storyline, this is not ashow you want to miss!

I was online the other day and was disappointed to read that Smith is on it's way to being cancelled. With an incredible cast, awesome story line, great action, and (important to me) incredible soundtrack, this is one of the best action dramas I have seen in a very very long time. If you haven't watched this show yet you don't know what you are missing. If you are looking for a show that has substance and a solid story line, you don't want to miss this. Some critics say that Smith glorifies crime but I believe it shows the chaos that insues with this life style. So tell everyone you know that they have to watch this show. With solid character development, and raw emotion, I honestly hope to see this show again.
  • I need my Smith Fix! Please bring it back! I love this show!

This is absolutely the BEST show on network television. Or should I say, \'was\'. I am furious that it isn\'t on. I couldn\'t wait until Tuesday night. I was so excited tonight was the night! Did Bobby tell his wife he knew she was following him? What happened with the thugs that were looking for the dead guy because he owed them money??? What happened with his girlfriend and son? OMG I just can\'t believe it\'s not going to be on anymore. Smith is the ONLY drama I have watched on network television since Thirty Something was on back in the 80\'s. I am so disappointed. CBS made a huge mistake by taking this off the air. The reality shows are crap. Guess I have to go back to watching The Food Channel. Ugh.
  • I can't belive this. WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE MY ANGER

I can't believe we have to sit through shows like Next Top Model and Survior.

I've been a ray liotta fan for a long long time. I am so glad to see him finally progress to a role on national television.

This so fits him perfectly. I'm sure it's not intented to be, but I hope this show is a heavy "crime" mild "comedy" and by the looks of the pilot it proves to be one.

The bit with the cat was absolutly brilliant. The type of crime comedy that makes most men laught.

The girl specifically asks him not to loose that cat, so he takes it with him! BRILLIANT!!!

I can't wait to see that happens as this show progresses. Although I must say that bringing the FBI into the show with episode II may be a bit pre-mature, if this show expects to have more than one season of life.
  • Best Show this Fall, Too Bad CBS Killed It

Smith was the most compelling show this fall and one of the most interesting shows to come to broadcast TV in a long time. The cast was stacked, the production immaculate, and the writing better than average. And the ratings weren\'t that bad, so why did CBS kill it?

They obviously had high expectations for the show, putting it up against Law and Order: SVU and Boston Legal. Of course it didn\'t beat either of these well established shows, but it did have decent veiwership. The textbook maneuver for CBS would be to move the show to a weeker night, but for some reason they chose to axe it altogether.

Let\'s hope another network picks this up.
  • Possibly the most unbelievable show ever! Awesome!

When I first watched the premiere of Smith I was astonished at how clever and breath taking it was. It was just amazing how the characters were portrayed. They keep me glued to the television screen because I could not believe they actually stole what they did and got away with it. I really enjoyed how bold the characters were as they brilliantly escaped the police and at the same time controlled their double life. Frankly, it’s the best television show I have ever watched!! Please bring it back!!
  • Smith is one of the best shows I have ever seen. I look forward to it every week, and now it may be getting cut? After three episodes? It never even got a fighting chance. Maybe if they cut the reality crap, great shows like Smith would stand a chance.

They keep boring and lame shows like NCIS, Numbers, and The Unit, but when a truly great show like Smith comes along, they cut it, and after just three episodes! Not to mention all of the stupid reality shows that they have. This is rediculous!!!! Smith is amazing, it made me look forward to Tuesday's! It has Ray Liotta in it, and that should be enough to keep it right there. Simon Baker, Jonny Lee Miller, And Frankie G were a great cast choice as well. They leave us hanging in the middle of the team preparing for another big job. It's not right!!!!!
  • CBS is taking this show off the air? It has a terrific cast and it is a great escape from all the other shows out there. It keeps me on the edge of my seat the entire hour and I dread the end of each episode. Smarten up and keep this show on! It's a hit!

For the last 3 weeks I have set my life around being on the couch in time to watch "Smith". The pilot episode was out of this world and the following 2 episodes made me dread the end of the 60 minutes. I love the cast, storyline and the non stop action. It is great to have such entertainment on in the middle of the week on network tv. It is a much needed break from all the forensic shows and reality tv programs that have taken over every channel. Keep this show on. It is a keeper. What else can I say!?!
  • An excellent show about really nasty people and the heinous things they do for money. Big money.

This is one of the best crime dramas on TV, maybe almost as good as early 'Sopranos' or 'Shield.' It has a wicked soundtrack, it's beautifully shot and choreographed, and sports some of the best acting I've seen on a network show. The characters are, basically, incorrigible scum; but, they pull off their heists with such style, I find myself very much hoping they stick around for a couple dozen episodes. No doubt most or all of them will meet nasty ends, but in the meantime, 'Smith' is a good place to indulge in some cathartic mayhem and villainy. The soundtrack is phenomenal--Rancid, Dirty Pretty Things, Imogen Heap, Thom Yorke, and the Ramones have all popped up early on in the series. I expect the music to stay high-end as the first season progresses. 'Smith' is not for an audience who needs to cheer for the forces of law and order. It's all about the bad guys, and not saying sorry.
  • Word has it that Smith was cancelled!! I am absolutely devastated!! It is the best new show of the season!! Excitng and adventurous, it kept me glued to my seat the whole 60 minutes. I can\'t imagine t.v. without this show!!

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine Tuesday nights without Smith. Probably, because it was opposite House,it didn't have a chance to gain the viewers. I, for one, changed my loyality from House to Smith because I love Ray Liotta and the rest of the cast that makes up this new superb show!!!!
  • Does anyone remember 'Heist' from earlier this year?

So 'Smith' appears to be the first casualty of this season's new shows. Hardly surprising really when the similar crime caper show 'Heist' was cancelled after only 5 episodes earlier this year. It appears that the TV channel execs are unable to learn from their earlier mistakes. A current trend seems to be to copy an existing show format, either successful or a failure, slightly repackage it and stick an aging movie star into the lead role. Examples of this are 'Shark' with James Woods - obviously based on 'Justice' and 'E-Ring' with Dennis Hopper loosely based on 'JAG'.
  • you already know what this show is about if you have watched it! So no need for me to go into details! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I love this show! It is amazing and very interesting. I hope they pick it up next fall because I really want to see what is going to happen between all the guys and what his wife is going to find out! It is an amazing show! Good job! I love the fact that you have a wife who seems to have this secrect from her family and husband but he also have a secret from his wife and family! The best part is his cars his other house and the fact that is like a Mr. and Mrs. Smith! This is an exciting show! Keep it up!
  • Smith is a show about a group of people involved in high stakes heists. The show\'s focus is on the lives the group members lead. It has a star cast including Ray Liota and Amy smart.

The first episode was made to mimic a generic heist movie with little character development and lots of action. Even though the story-line was lacking the directing, acting, and music selection was top notch; which gave me reason to see the next episode. Episode two of smith really opened this series up. The characters gained depth and the plot thickened (hey what else can you ask for.lol.). This reminded me of the one two punch style of the Kill bill movies; all the action in the first one all the plot in the second. The music used thus far in this series is varied and quite good. A little indie, rock, and punk makes me a happy viewer. All in all I have hope for this series and will continue to watch it until it turns into corporate junk.
  • this just wasn't good enough. the acting's boring, the characters are one-dimensional, the pacing was far too slow, the soundtrack was annoying, and the plot made little sense. plus, it's all been done before. even Heist was more captivating than this!

3.9
    I watched the pilot of Smith, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. the concept is completely unoriginal; a group of bad guys who steal stuff! anybody remember Heist? or Thief? the whole starting at a tense scene and then going back in time to explain how the tense scene came about is a fairly standard plot device, but doing it twice in the same episode? that really annoyed me. the acting was uninspired to say the least, the characters were boring, and the storyline was confusing. and to top it all off, that song they played at the end was terrible. I won't be watching this again.
  • This show has a group of awesome actors that play a group of awesome characters. Every episode they do some cool stuff so what's not to like? Watch it now!

This show has a group of awesome actors that play a group of awesome characters. Every episode they do some cool stuff so what's not to like? It's an adrenaline rush every episode and you don't know what's going to happen to the characters which you surprising care about even after spending such little time getting to know them.

Ray Liotta pretty much emulates his Goodfellas performance here which isn't a bad thing. It definitely has that kind of quality feel to it.

Ultimately if you like a quick adrenaline fix this show is your cup of tea. Highly recommended! :D
  • A phenomenal new show of the new CBS and television season.

I love this show! Seriously, it is \"my new best friend\". After just watching the first 5 minutes of the show, I was awe-struck, and couldn\'t believe what went on in each scene. Everything was just about perfect i.e.the acting, how Bobby\'s crew planned everything. It sure gets a superb rating from me; and I can\'t understand anyone who would even give this show a somewhat low or mediocre rating. In my opinion, that is just low, and they must be very picky. If it don\'t fit their agenda, then the show is bad. What a bummer. But go Ray Liotta,Virginia Madsen,Frankie G, Simon Baker, Jonny Lee Miller,Amy Smart and Shohreh Aghdashloo!!!! Outstanding job.
  • Completely unoriginal -- so, in that sense probably 10X better than most shows developed for this year.

I haven't looked at the other comments on this show, so this may be redundant. First: understand that I love Ray Liotta, and have since he was on Another World or Somerset, or whatever sucky soap he started on. He does a great job as Smith. That said, these writer-producers, if honest, need to start sending their residual checks straight to Donald Westlake, whose crooked characters Dortmunder (comedy) and Parker (psycho, written under the R. Stark pseudonym) and whose plots they have totally and shamelessly ripped off. Read the Westlake (and \"Stark\") books. You\'ll see.
  • I have paid to watch much worse films then this a-moral violent and utterly fantastic show. How refreshing to not be talked down to as an audience. If it keeps hitting this hard it’s going to be a great ride. Who writes bad guys like this? It’s unique.

From the opening action teaser it’s fast hard and edgy. Ray Liota does a great job. Their seems to be a trend towards attracting quality Hollywood actors to TV rolls and I have to say I really like it and I think it brings the whole show up to another level. Fantastic job by everyone, I’m blown away and can’t wait for more.
  • Did I miss something?

3.9
    The promo\'s lured me in to watch the show. After watching it I had a sense of dejavue. I seem to remember a show that was on briefly last season called \"Thief\" starring Andre Braugher, which was surprisingly similiar...a group of men stealing stuff for a woman who setup the \"jobs.\" Hmmm, interesting. Another thing that confused me (ok, maybe I missed something, please correct me if I\'m wrong) is that I seem to remember the actual museum heist taking place during the daylight but the escape taking place at night?? Help me understand.
  • Excellent first episode - really gave me the feeling that this show has substance and will keep me entertained in the future. Highly recommend everyone to check it out!

With many of my other favorite shows currently on a hiatus, I\'ve been looking for new shows to entertain myself during the nighttime. I had spotted a trailer for \'Kidnapped\' in the cinema during the summer, and it looked like a show that was worth giving a try. So that\'s exactly what I did and all I was left with afterwards was disappointment. The show lacks substance, the characters were unrealistic, and I don\'t feel like the series, with those characters, and the storyline portrayed in the pilot will be able to develop something watch worthy for an entire season, yet alone more than 1 or 2 episodes. \'Smith\' on the other hand not only offers the viewer an enticing story with substance, but also charismatic characters who act their roles convincingly and can draw you into their emotions and thoughts, in particular \"Bobby\", the character played by Ray Liotta. I\'m looking forward to seeing more of this show in the weeks to come and I hope all of you reading this will give the show a chance and learn to enjoy it as much as I do.
  • I so love this new action pack show!

I so love this new show... I cant wait to see more and more of it! I once saw some pictures of Liota with facial hair... Can he please please PLEASE have a few episodes where there is facial hair potrayed? Keep up the excellent work... I am so excited about seeing more!
  • Great show and so far, so good!

This is a great show so far and so good and that it is led by the great actor who usually plays bad guys Ray Liotta. The criminals are the stars of the show and that is unusual since it is the good guys that are 99% the main characters. It shows their lives as 9-5 workers but one of them is a recent parolee and one of them is a cold-blooded killer. Great show so far!
  • FABULOUS!Best show of the new season!Can't wait for next week! New,Exciting,Sexy and Different.Finally something new. Not even close to any other drama out there. The characters are complex & mysterious and leaves you wanting more. Keep this one comin

FABULOUS! This is definatly the best show of the new season!I can't wait for next week! New, Exciting, Sexy and Different. Finally something new. Not even close to any other drama out there. The characters are complex & mysterious.The chemistry between them all works really well on screen. It really leaves you wanting more. I'm so bored with all of the "reality TV" and same ole' detective/crime programing. This one is not your cookie cutter drama like on all the networks right now. I even watched the pilot on the computer the next day and have set the tivo to record them all so I can watch them over again. Keep this one coming!
  • The best new drama so far.

I was very much impressed by the quality of this show, the cast, characters, plot, and dialogue are all spectactular. What makes this show better than other heist dramas is that the "bad guys" are actually bad guys, who aren't afraid of collateral damage resulting in death. For example, Simon Baker's character(can you say sociopath), pulls a sniper rifle out of the back of his truck and guns down two men who rudely asked him to leave a private beach where he was surfing.

This, and many other things such as great directing and music make this show so much fun to watch, definetly the best new drama so far.
  • American Terrorists!

Thives, murderers, and assassins as American hero’s? Don’t needs it on TV when the real hero’s are our Military, Firefighters and Police. Useless air time. If \\\"Smith\\\" was working undercover for some kind of agency, maybe it would be worth the time to watch. Doubtful. I\\\'m surprise that Ray Liotta agreed to do this. Simon Baker too! Too much excellent talent wasted.
  • An hour a week of non stop drama !!

With Ray Liotta and Virginia Madson, and Franky G, this is one of the best night time dramas to have hit the airspace of television. I found it be like watching a contemporary "HEAT" meets "SCORE" meets Martin Scorsese and we get to see an hour each week !! Ray Liotta, even if your one of those that cant stand his screen presence (some women) is one of, if not the top of the cream in Holly Wood. In every single movie that Ray has done he's alway's saddled with the best of the best and it shows in every thing that he has done to date. This show is no less than an exciting drama, suspense movie packaged into an hour a week. Hopefully for many, many weeks to come !!
  • I smell an Emmy!

This is the best pilot I've seen since "Lost." This show has been perfectly cast. I know it's early, but the acting which aided the character development was very intriguing. I'm not normally a fan of Liotta, but he has managed to grab my interest this time around. Looks like John Wells will have another winner on his hands.

Some of the other reviews have noted this show's slow pace. The pilot, though redundant at times, used this type of storyline effectively. Smith is an adult action show, much unlike that of CBS's lineup. Think about it, do we really know anything about Grissom's character on CSI other than his affection for his colleague or his infatuation with insects. This is the sort of thing we learn about Bobby in one hour, compared to six seasons of CSI. With that said, both are good shows for their own reasons. CSI is set at a fast pace for the MTV audience, while Smith is more for fans of older heist movies. From what we've seen so far, which is not much, I'd have to conclude that this is definitely one to keep an eye on (no pun intended) this season.
  • Great show. Dark, interesting and edgy storyline and so far some great music.

I think the show brings back some old Miami Vice darkness and fresh life obstacles we all face. It has a tinge of the movie "Heat" which starred Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. I can get lost in the show for an hour before coming back to reality. It is suspenseful and gives you several angles at various timelines. The music in the first episode was excellent. I have a new favorite song from Imogen Heap "Hide and Seek". It is trendy and on the verge of creating something new with a touch of something old that is great.
1 2 3