CBS (ended 2006)

Smith Fan Reviews (83)

• American Terrorists!

Thives, murderers, and assassins as American hero’s? Don’t needs it on TV when the real hero’s are our Military, Firefighters and Police. Useless air time. If \\\"Smith\\\" was working undercover for some kind of agency, maybe it would be worth the time to watch. Doubtful. I\\\'m surprise that Ray Liotta agreed to do this. Simon Baker too! Too much excellent talent wasted.

I really wanted to like this show. Ray Liotta is one of my favourite actors and I thought, \\\'oh, oh - he\\\'s going to TV. The end of a career\\\' But Kiefer did it quite successfully, so I had hopes for Ray.
    Issues I had with the pilot:

1. If you TAZER someone while you are holding them around the neck - you too will be tazered. It\\\'s called conduction.

2. Ray\\\'s false conviction. \\\"That\\\'s it. I\\\'m through. Three or four more jobs and that\\\'s it. I mean it!\\\" Ughh-make up your mind. And one of the oldest movie/tv cliches in history.

3. If I was to stake out a museum job, I wouldn\\\'t do it with three middle-aged men, all dressed in black, visibly pointing at things not art related. Detectives have a habit of reviewing historical security tapes.

4. Invest in a gyroscope. I understand that the director wanted to convey \\\'action\\\' during the boat scene, but I had to look away until the scene was over, or go into epileptic shock.

Like I said, I wanted to like this show, not even love it. But I grew to loathe it. Cross this one off of your list if you have any measure of quality for what you take in through your pupils. But then again, there is a proven market out there for mindless media for the masses.
  • Too slow, uninteresting characters.

The pilot episode of \"Smith\" gave us absolutely no reason to care about ANY of the characters. It was also really slow and got boring several times, and this is supposed to be an action series, right?! I love heist movies and TV shows, but this one doesn\'t play out very well. It\'s a poor version of the actual \"Heist\" that NBC cancelled after just four episodes, not even giving it a chance. I really, really wanted to like this show, so I\'m going to give it one more chance on the second episode, but the pilot was a real let-down.
  • Not a character in the lot about whom we can feel compassion or affection. Even Madsen is “conflicted.” Real life is chock full of depressing themes, do we need more twisted motives? Don\'t lionize “Bad guys with a heart” They’re bad guys. Get it?

Outta nowhere comes a great waste of time and effort. Not a character in the lot about whom we can feel compassion or affection. Even Madsen is “conflicted” in what the right thing to do might be. Real life is chock full of depressing themes, we don’t need yet another show of twisted motives. Why should we be interested in how cleverly a team plans to steal things that don’t belong to them? Feeling compelled to find heros in a cast like this gives me the sensation of wanting to take a shower. Someone fell for it - “Bad guys with a heart.” Hey! They shouldn’t be lionized. They’re bad buys. Get it?
  • If you enjoy lack of dialogue and lots of action then this show is for you. If you don't mind inconsistencies like one moment its daylight and within a split second its nighttime. I adore Ray Liotta but this is a pretty bad show.

Very disappointing, the commercials were better then the actual show. Lack of dialogue, consistency, continuity, and plot basically gave the actors nothing much to work with. I don't see this show sticking around. It needs more than fine-tuning, Ray Liotta is the only redeeming aspect of this show. That man can act!
  • this just wasn't good enough. the acting's boring, the characters are one-dimensional, the pacing was far too slow, the soundtrack was annoying, and the plot made little sense. plus, it's all been done before. even Heist was more captivating than this!

I watched the pilot of Smith, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. the concept is completely unoriginal; a group of bad guys who steal stuff! anybody remember Heist? or Thief? the whole starting at a tense scene and then going back in time to explain how the tense scene came about is a fairly standard plot device, but doing it twice in the same episode? that really annoyed me. the acting was uninspired to say the least, the characters were boring, and the storyline was confusing. and to top it all off, that song they played at the end was terrible. I won't be watching this again.
  • The show looked like something you would watch on Saturday afteroon, cause nothing else is on, and waiting til the good shows start, no surprise CBS cancelled this time waster.

The show may have had the writing and even the actors, but the special effects seriously looked like something from the 80's, if CBS wants an A show like the CSI's or Criminal Minds. Then it needs the special effects as well. The show looked so ghetto it's not funny, seriously it's no surprise it didn't last. It was the special effects that killed the show. The show should have been called "Waste of Time". A repeat of CSI did better in that time spot, so you know it wasn't the timeslot that killed Smith. I didn't think Smith would last and I was right. I just didn't think it would go that fast.
  • A glaring continuity anomaly, Annie is outside the front of the museum and hears the shots fired and walks away in bright sunlight, but the gang leaves by the back entrance in the dead of night

A very good first effort, but did get exasperated with a glaring continuity anomaly, Annie is outside the front of the museum and hears the shots fired and walks away in bright sunlight, but the gang leaves by the back entrance in the dead of night. Please explain that Mr Director
  • This show has a group of awesome actors that play a group of awesome characters. Every episode they do some cool stuff so what's not to like? Watch it now!

This show has a group of awesome actors that play a group of awesome characters. Every episode they do some cool stuff so what's not to like? It's an adrenaline rush every episode and you don't know what's going to happen to the characters which you surprising care about even after spending such little time getting to know them.

Ray Liotta pretty much emulates his Goodfellas performance here which isn't a bad thing. It definitely has that kind of quality feel to it.

Ultimately if you like a quick adrenaline fix this show is your cup of tea. Highly recommended! :D
  • Did I miss something?

The promo\'s lured me in to watch the show. After watching it I had a sense of dejavue. I seem to remember a show that was on briefly last season called \"Thief\" starring Andre Braugher, which was surprisingly similiar...a group of men stealing stuff for a woman who setup the \"jobs.\" Hmmm, interesting. Another thing that confused me (ok, maybe I missed something, please correct me if I\'m wrong) is that I seem to remember the actual museum heist taking place during the daylight but the escape taking place at night?? Help me understand.
  • Hard to follow if you tuned in late

I\'ll tell you the problem as I see it: It was hard to get into if you missed the initial episode. I actually missed the first 2 episodes, but tuned in following a strong recommendation. After watching for about 10-15 minutes, I realized that I didn\'t know who was who or what the heck was going on, and I didn\'t really care, so I changed the channel. I\'m sure if I\'d have persevered, I\'d have eventually caught on (not that it mattered as it turned out), but at that point, it just didn\'t grab me. Maybe the same thing happened to others who missed the initial show(s). I\'ve started watching other serials, like 24 or Sopranos, in their midst and was immediately drawn in. That just didn\'t happen me anyway.
  • An excellent show about really nasty people and the heinous things they do for money. Big money.

This is one of the best crime dramas on TV, maybe almost as good as early 'Sopranos' or 'Shield.' It has a wicked soundtrack, it's beautifully shot and choreographed, and sports some of the best acting I've seen on a network show. The characters are, basically, incorrigible scum; but, they pull off their heists with such style, I find myself very much hoping they stick around for a couple dozen episodes. No doubt most or all of them will meet nasty ends, but in the meantime, 'Smith' is a good place to indulge in some cathartic mayhem and villainy. The soundtrack is phenomenal--Rancid, Dirty Pretty Things, Imogen Heap, Thom Yorke, and the Ramones have all popped up early on in the series. I expect the music to stay high-end as the first season progresses. 'Smith' is not for an audience who needs to cheer for the forces of law and order. It's all about the bad guys, and not saying sorry.
  • Does anyone remember 'Heist' from earlier this year?

So 'Smith' appears to be the first casualty of this season's new shows. Hardly surprising really when the similar crime caper show 'Heist' was cancelled after only 5 episodes earlier this year. It appears that the TV channel execs are unable to learn from their earlier mistakes. A current trend seems to be to copy an existing show format, either successful or a failure, slightly repackage it and stick an aging movie star into the lead role. Examples of this are 'Shark' with James Woods - obviously based on 'Justice' and 'E-Ring' with Dennis Hopper loosely based on 'JAG'.
  • America can't love bad guys?

From what I understood, the main reason for show cancellation was about viewers getting in love with main characters which appear to be the badg guys, and this concept is totally unacceptable.. At least for Networks? But what about Breaking Bad? CBS closed this brilliant series with perfect cast because of that and Networks still let people enjoy the meth cooking for so long? I don't get this..
  • Smith is a show about a group of people involved in high stakes heists. The show\'s focus is on the lives the group members lead. It has a star cast including Ray Liota and Amy smart.

The first episode was made to mimic a generic heist movie with little character development and lots of action. Even though the story-line was lacking the directing, acting, and music selection was top notch; which gave me reason to see the next episode. Episode two of smith really opened this series up. The characters gained depth and the plot thickened (hey what else can you ask This reminded me of the one two punch style of the Kill bill movies; all the action in the first one all the plot in the second. The music used thus far in this series is varied and quite good. A little indie, rock, and punk makes me a happy viewer. All in all I have hope for this series and will continue to watch it until it turns into corporate junk.
  • Great show and so far, so good!

This is a great show so far and so good and that it is led by the great actor who usually plays bad guys Ray Liotta. The criminals are the stars of the show and that is unusual since it is the good guys that are 99% the main characters. It shows their lives as 9-5 workers but one of them is a recent parolee and one of them is a cold-blooded killer. Great show so far!
  • Excellent first episode - really gave me the feeling that this show has substance and will keep me entertained in the future. Highly recommend everyone to check it out!

With many of my other favorite shows currently on a hiatus, I\'ve been looking for new shows to entertain myself during the nighttime. I had spotted a trailer for \'Kidnapped\' in the cinema during the summer, and it looked like a show that was worth giving a try. So that\'s exactly what I did and all I was left with afterwards was disappointment. The show lacks substance, the characters were unrealistic, and I don\'t feel like the series, with those characters, and the storyline portrayed in the pilot will be able to develop something watch worthy for an entire season, yet alone more than 1 or 2 episodes. \'Smith\' on the other hand not only offers the viewer an enticing story with substance, but also charismatic characters who act their roles convincingly and can draw you into their emotions and thoughts, in particular \"Bobby\", the character played by Ray Liotta. I\'m looking forward to seeing more of this show in the weeks to come and I hope all of you reading this will give the show a chance and learn to enjoy it as much as I do.
  • Best Show this Fall, Too Bad CBS Killed It

Smith was the most compelling show this fall and one of the most interesting shows to come to broadcast TV in a long time. The cast was stacked, the production immaculate, and the writing better than average. And the ratings weren\'t that bad, so why did CBS kill it?

They obviously had high expectations for the show, putting it up against Law and Order: SVU and Boston Legal. Of course it didn\'t beat either of these well established shows, but it did have decent veiwership. The textbook maneuver for CBS would be to move the show to a weeker night, but for some reason they chose to axe it altogether.

Let\'s hope another network picks this up.
  • The Characters are all individually unique, and brilliantly casted and scripted. Ray Liotta is as always calm cool & collected. These characters are truly amazing in this show and dont understand why they scrapped it!!??

For the first time in a very long time, is there a realistic show to watch. These guys dont give a F&^^* about what they have to do to get the job done. It is truly a incredible series and I was distraught to see that the networks had scrapped it.

This is much better than shows like '24' where Jack defies the whole world including the government to save the day.. What alot of crap. Smith should stay and should be shown again, and have new series made, all it needs is a chance and to be shown on different television stations around the world..

• I so love this new action pack show!

I so love this new show... I cant wait to see more and more of it! I once saw some pictures of Liota with facial hair... Can he please please PLEASE have a few episodes where there is facial hair potrayed? Keep up the excellent work... I am so excited about seeing more!
  • BRING BACK SMITH!!! It is the best show on CBS this Fall!!

Smith is the best new show I\\\'ve seen this season!! It is exciting to watch because of all the surprises in the show. You never know what will happen next!! I looked forward to Tues. nites with CBS at 9:00 p.m. because of Smith! I can\\\'t believe it was cancelled!! What is wrong with the network?? Instead they put on stupid shows like sitcoms!! BRING BACK SMITH!!!
  • I loved Smith and couldn't wait for new episodes.

I really enjoyed this show and found myself making sure to not miss an episode. With so many new shows on tv, for this one to get the axe was very frustrating. This show was full of action, right from the very beginning and we were just getting to know the characters. I thought this was the best new show of the season.
  • Watch a crime ring in action! All the excitment, mystery, action, and drama you could ask for. With a steller cast, great storyline, this is not ashow you want to miss!

I was online the other day and was disappointed to read that Smith is on it's way to being cancelled. With an incredible cast, awesome story line, great action, and (important to me) incredible soundtrack, this is one of the best action dramas I have seen in a very very long time. If you haven't watched this show yet you don't know what you are missing. If you are looking for a show that has substance and a solid story line, you don't want to miss this. Some critics say that Smith glorifies crime but I believe it shows the chaos that insues with this life style. So tell everyone you know that they have to watch this show. With solid character development, and raw emotion, I honestly hope to see this show again.
  • Possibly the most unbelievable show ever! Awesome!

When I first watched the premiere of Smith I was astonished at how clever and breath taking it was. It was just amazing how the characters were portrayed. They keep me glued to the television screen because I could not believe they actually stole what they did and got away with it. I really enjoyed how bold the characters were as they brilliantly escaped the police and at the same time controlled their double life. Frankly, it’s the best television show I have ever watched!! Please bring it back!!
  • Smith is one of the best shows I have ever seen. I look forward to it every week, and now it may be getting cut? After three episodes? It never even got a fighting chance. Maybe if they cut the reality crap, great shows like Smith would stand a chance.

They keep boring and lame shows like NCIS, Numbers, and The Unit, but when a truly great show like Smith comes along, they cut it, and after just three episodes! Not to mention all of the stupid reality shows that they have. This is rediculous!!!! Smith is amazing, it made me look forward to Tuesday's! It has Ray Liotta in it, and that should be enough to keep it right there. Simon Baker, Jonny Lee Miller, And Frankie G were a great cast choice as well. They leave us hanging in the middle of the team preparing for another big job. It's not right!!!!!
  • CBS is taking this show off the air? It has a terrific cast and it is a great escape from all the other shows out there. It keeps me on the edge of my seat the entire hour and I dread the end of each episode. Smarten up and keep this show on! It's a hit!

For the last 3 weeks I have set my life around being on the couch in time to watch "Smith". The pilot episode was out of this world and the following 2 episodes made me dread the end of the 60 minutes. I love the cast, storyline and the non stop action. It is great to have such entertainment on in the middle of the week on network tv. It is a much needed break from all the forensic shows and reality tv programs that have taken over every channel. Keep this show on. It is a keeper. What else can I say!?!

I love this show! It is amazing and very interesting. I hope they pick it up next fall because I really want to see what is going to happen between all the guys and what his wife is going to find out! It is an amazing show! Good job! I love the fact that you have a wife who seems to have this secrect from her family and husband but he also have a secret from his wife and family! The best part is his cars his other house and the fact that is like a Mr. and Mrs. Smith! This is an exciting show! Keep it up!
  • A phenomenal new show of the new CBS and television season.

I love this show! Seriously, it is \"my new best friend\". After just watching the first 5 minutes of the show, I was awe-struck, and couldn\'t believe what went on in each scene. Everything was just about perfect i.e.the acting, how Bobby\'s crew planned everything. It sure gets a superb rating from me; and I can\'t understand anyone who would even give this show a somewhat low or mediocre rating. In my opinion, that is just low, and they must be very picky. If it don\'t fit their agenda, then the show is bad. What a bummer. But go Ray Liotta,Virginia Madsen,Frankie G, Simon Baker, Jonny Lee Miller,Amy Smart and Shohreh Aghdashloo!!!! Outstanding job.
  • Bad guys with a heart

The good guys and the bad guys, these two distinct groups of people have always been on so many TV shows and yet they might never disappear on the small screen. On TV, we discover that sometimes the good guys are not so good, and the bad guys are not all together bad. And we appreciate the producers' attempt to bring out the realest characters, in contrast to the old days--Heroes never makes mistakes, villians never have a heart.
    After Heist(a comic take on a group of thieves and their opperation) failed, this season we get two shows about grand theft: Smith and Knights of Prosperity. It shows that the producers think that we, the viewers, are little fed up with the heroes on TV. I think they are right. In the pilot of Smith, we can see how the team is gathered, how their opperation is carried out, how talented they are in their specialties, and how normal they are. What I like about this show is the documentary way of chronicling the characters, nothing fancy, but quite real. And the show cut deep into the bone of the characters and their emotions. I think this show is promising if CBS give it a chance.
  • A bit too edgy for CBS?

'Smith' is an intelligent, well done show. I think CBS may have more problems with the content that the ratings. While other shows like 'The Unit', 'NCIS', and even 'Shark' all manage to include a positve moral lesson in each episode, it's hard to build a moral into 'Smith's plot line. The subject matter doesn't lend itself to any positive messages, but it's gritty and perhaps a bit more realistic than just about anything else that's currently on. I think this show is great, but unfortunately I have to admit it's probably better suited to FX or HBO. I hope it makes it back, or gets resurrected on another network. I've got episodes 1-3 on my TiVo and they aren't going anywhere, so I can get a refresher when it comes back....
< 1 2 3