Smith

CBS (ended 2006)

Smith Fan Reviews (82)

• From the very beginning I thought This was one of the best Programs I've ever seen. But like most I've been totally entertained by, they've been gone in a heartbeat.

The casting, writing, story plot and production was way, way aboveboard. Thus the quality of the production had little to do with its hasty demise. However I firmly believe that Smith's demise was do to the thing that's sweeping our nation like Locus in the springtime...That being Political Correctness. Think about it, the bad guys were better at winning the day. Can't have that happening, can we...?
  • The best new drama so far.

I was very much impressed by the quality of this show, the cast, characters, plot, and dialogue are all spectactular. What makes this show better than other heist dramas is that the "bad guys" are actually bad guys, who aren't afraid of collateral damage resulting in death. For example, Simon Baker's character(can you say sociopath), pulls a sniper rifle out of the back of his truck and guns down two men who rudely asked him to leave a private beach where he was surfing.

This, and many other things such as great directing and music make this show so much fun to watch, definetly the best new drama so far.
  • Completely unoriginal -- so, in that sense probably 10X better than most shows developed for this year.

I haven't looked at the other comments on this show, so this may be redundant. First: understand that I love Ray Liotta, and have since he was on Another World or Somerset, or whatever sucky soap he started on. He does a great job as Smith. That said, these writer-producers, if honest, need to start sending their residual checks straight to Donald Westlake, whose crooked characters Dortmunder (comedy) and Parker (psycho, written under the R. Stark pseudonym) and whose plots they have totally and shamelessly ripped off. Read the Westlake (and \"Stark\") books. You\'ll see.
  • Excellent writing, acting and directing with complex plot lines for each character. Wonderful show!

Bring it back. If it wasn't working against the other more-established hit shows, put it in another time slot where not much else is happening. Let its viewership build that way and I would bet money it will be the next runaway hit. Please don't let such a good show go to waste. Please Bring It Back!
  • What the hell man! This show was by far the "attention grabber" of the season. I have seen so many crappy shows that pilot and actually make it through their first season only because of the mainstream sponsorship association, it makes me

Smith was an incredible show from the writing, directing, casting and acting. It was nice to see that after all the years of "Survivor" and "CSI" inspired shows that someone in hollywood actually had the inspiration to put this show together. This show was the ultimate reality game....because it really does happen!! Unlike the staged reality shows and beefed up investigator field work that we see on tv today. The problem that I see here is that the corporate advertisers and sponsors for this show are afraid of everything that they can't control. If..I..were.."Michael..Moore"..I..would..say,.."bring..the..troops..home..and..let's..watch Smith"...........At..the..end..of..the..day..a..show..about..crime..is..still..crime. It's..just..way..less..organized!!
    You do the math.
  • bring this show back

This show was one of the best i have seen this year, this show needs a second chance.
    This show was a sure hit in our family every week.
    I believe this show was in the same catagory as Alias fantastic.!!!
    Great writers and actors in this show for it to not make it blows my mind..im not sure what they are thinking here in pulling this one off..
    A cartoon show will last 4 or more seasons but yet a good show like this they are taking it off.
    Im sorry but really what is this coming to when cartoons are taking the place of good old fashion tv programs..
  • Please bring Smith back i just loved that show,couldnt wait until I got home. it is a show that is mixed, with crime, passion, adventure. this show has so many roads to take . Bring back Smith please.

I really liked the adventure that this show was taking in just the few short shows that it was on, but you get to see what crime life is all about and the problems that it can bring home. Please bring back Smith, Please bring back Smith, please bring back Smith.
  • CBS axes great show, but alert viewers can bring it back!

If you are upset that CBS cancelled Smith, consider filing a complaint.

With enough viewer complaints, CBS may reconsider its cancelling of the marvelous fast-paced Smith with its excellent cast including Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Simon Baker and Amy Smart and the show's superb writing.

Blame it on CBS's bad marketing, its only giving the show three episodes of airtime, and CBS's lack of promoting online viewing of earlier episodes of Smith for those who needed to catch up.

CBS could have given a better re-cap at the beginning of episodes for new viewers just tuning in. It could have re-run the episodes during off-hours, much like Bravo does, to allow viewers to catch up. Call CBS viewer relations at any time day or night to leave a message, or, to reach a live person, call during the hours of 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m. EST - telephone CBS viewer relations at 212-975-3247.

You may also email audsvcs@cbs.com (short for audience services).

You may also go to CBS\'s feedback form online to submit your complaint at http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.shtml Smith is still listed in the shows on that feedback form. You may also sign this online petition to CBS to bring back Smith. http://www.petitiononline.com/cbssmith/petition.html
  • Great show!

I was so into this show while watching the series premiere. It did an admirable job at setting the stage for subsequent episodes. To me, the show is very reminiscent of the Ocean's Eleven/Twelve etc. movies and that's a good thing because I absolutely love those. I really liked how they showed the basics of the heist at the beginning of the episode and then went back later on to give it to you with all of the details attached. The cast is pretty impressive and the acting was definitely, at the least, up to par. There's no doubt that I will be watching this show again.
  • Why?????? Why would you pull one of the best shows on TV. I rate this with Alias, CSI, Lost, and even Heroes..... Please bring it back! I know they filmed 6 episodes, so at least let us see the other three.

Movie quality TV. They are 1 hour movies, Loaded with Movie actors and even has a movie budget. One of the best TV shows to come out this year... Second to only Heroes.

\\\"Heat\\\" on TV.

I miss it already.

Action packed, Well acted, great script.

Booooo CBS Booooo

You are way offside on this one.

Why??????

Please bring it back!

I know they filmed 6 episodes, so at least let us see the other three
  • I can't believe with all the garbage on TV that this show was cancelled.. I\'m sick of reality shows. I have never been a fan of them and now this season I actually started watching TV and loved this show, the acting was great... Comeon bring it back....

Loved this show, I cannot believe that it was cancelled. I hate reality tv, come on how much dancing w/the stars and shows like this can a person w/any intelligence take. I use to love Frasier and the West Wing and now the only show left is House. bring SMITH back so the over 40 crowd has something to watch. I could care less about washed up celebrities.
  • Put this one on your "Watch List." You won't be disappointed!

LOVED this new show! Watched it because of Liotta and Madsen and Simon Baker was a bonus. On the edge of your seat series....music was awesome....and NO commercials, except for the review of the new Jack Nickolson movie \"The Departed.\" Smith and Shark are the only new 2 shows on my list to watch this fall...SMITH WAS GREAT and since I recorded it...can listen to the music again and again!
  • Looks like one of the best pilots of the year!

Of all the shows dramatically cancelled this year, at least there is some hope of tv getting back to some kind of normality this year. The pilots are all looking great this year and hopefuly most will last more than thirteen episodes or a single series, as many of last years pilots did. However, there are always a few that stand above the rest and Smith is one of those shows. With a killer premise that resembles the awesome British show Hustle and a truely jaw-dropping cast including Ray Liotta and Simon Baker, not to mention the gorgeous Amy Smart and Oscar nominee Virginia Madsen this should be one pilot series that stands the test of time. HOPEFULLY!!!
  • CBS ignores the two main rules and under appreciates the work it takes to make a villain show be successful.

I liked Smith both in concept and the execution of its action. Smith, though, never drew me into the characters enough for me to want to know more about them.

CBS under appreciates the work it takes to bring people into a new concept - criminals as main characters. The writers failed to connect the viewers to the characters. The number of characters on Smith is normal for a TV series, but connecting viewers with an "anti-hero" requires extra work. The series had too many villain stars. Writers and producers must give the viewers a moral grounding and understanding of the villain stars.

For awhile I thought this new concept (villain stars) wasn't possible, until I saw the new Showtime series Dexter. The Dexter writers, producers, and actors connected the viewer to this vigilante serial killer very quickly in the pilot. The story line makes it easier as there is only one "good guy villain" in this series. Viewers don't have to justify the actions of several characters.

Some might ask is the only way to create a successful criminal show to do it on a pay cable channel, where restrictions on content are lower. The answer is NO!

CBS should take an example from "It Takes a Thief." A broadcast series based upon one criminal is easier, but there also must be some social redeeming value in the main character. Dexter only kills other killers and while it’s an inappropriate action, the viewer realizes he is trying to channel his dark personality to help society not harm it or innocent people.

The lead character must involve the viewers in the planning and execution of his jobs, while not assuming the viewer will all of connect the dots. Unanswered questions are ok for awhile and answers that raise new questions are ok. In the end, though, the viewer requires all the answers concerning the leader character’s character and his jobs.

A new version of "It Takes a Thief" without the main character working for a government agency would be interesting. The series could be about the original thief's Son. He decided to go into the family business and has yet to get caught. The writers would need to develop his personality and abilities in depth and quickly. The viewer must connect on a social, emotional, and intelligential basis. In addition to his life story, the thief must instruct the viewer step by step on his individual jobs.

Not until those who design shows realize these two important facts will broadcast TV have a successful villain based series. Smith failed to take heed of these basic obligations to the viewer.
  • Smith is a high flying and fast paced action series that depicts the lives of normal people, who are incredibly skilled in executing high level crimes.

Unfortunately, Smith was cancelled by CBS after only eight episodes, 3 of those episodes were shown on the air. However, it still was a very exciting show because it shows the lives of people, who are very deceptive and secret in plotting and executing the most elaborate and dangerous crimes in thief such as stealing priceless paintings or millions of dollars of gold. Each member lives a normal life, but the secret life of executing crimes is very meticulous and dangerous in crafting the thief of priceless materials. The show is centered on a normal salesman named Bobby Stevens, and he is manipulated by a woman that makes deals with him to steal items in for exchanged money, and he shares it amongst his crew. They are being chased down by the FBI after the first heist that ended in the death of one of their crew members during the heist and stealing priceless paintings. Overall, it was a good show, but it just didn’t get the ratings.
  • Big names can certainly attract an audience quite quickly. Ray Liotta is a name that will provide instant fans.

Big names aside, this show has done quite well for itself. The concept creator, writers and directors deserve a lot of credit. We are beginning to see storylines that once existed solely in movies move to television. As a movie idea, this is not new. But, I am curious to see how far it can be taken on a television series. In what new direction can you lead the audience and how can you make them willing to follow you. Just like with the new pilot "Faceless," I wonder how many episodes can come from this, let alone how many seasons.
  • Edgy, dangerous and smart with an absolutely fantastic cast

When I first heard of this show, I immediately wanted to see it because of the amazing, high-profile cast. Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Amy Smart, Shohreh Aghdashloo & Jonny Lee Miller in the same show? Too good to be true. In the first episode, you could tell that Smith was cutting edge, pushing the boundaries for cable TV. The protagonists were ruthless thieves who you loved to hate - unlike protagonists who are generally good and moral people who screw up once in a while. The main characters on Smith would be considered the villians on the crime dramas CBS usually airs, which was what made Smith so great. It went there, it was different. It's so easy to be the same, make a crime drama about moral detectives and lawyers who put the bad guys away. This show blurred the lines between good & bad. Bobby, the leader of the group of thieves and the main character, really loved his wife and kids but his life was so bland, you can understand why he needed some excitement. Another similar show, Heist which was axed as well, was all style, action, explosions and no character development or uniqueness like Smith. Smith was on the same caliber as the early seasons of The Sopranos.

Smith was exciting, fresh and one of the most original dramas I have seen on TV in ages. But the general public of America wasn't ready to sympathize with the bad guys, which is why it got the axe. It's just too bad people enjoy conformity and sameness, or this show would have been a hit.
  • Liked it more and more as it went on.

This show started slow but picked up toward the end. When it was over I had myself a new show to watch but this happens ever year lets see how many of them last. Smith is a swift high tech heist show which I enjoyed. I haven't seen a heist show that I've liked in a while(not that theres been many) but it seems like a keeper as long as it keeps an audience.(Update: Smith was canceled after 3 weeks airing, how impatient is that?) It really had the makings of a good show but it just couldn't find the audience.
  • I love this show!!

Okay so I was flipping through channels a couple months ago and found this show..I fell in love with it, it was amazing. I could not wait until the next episode after I saw the first. I didn't even realize they were going to cancel it =( WHY???? Why does it seem to me, they cancel all the good shows...It only had what 3 episodes!! Wait for at least a season and see how it does, I think yall should bring it back..and for sure it what get good ratings. I miss Smith and want it back, I really get into it. It WAS A GREAT SHOW!!
  • I thought that this show was an absolute good show with good potential. CBS never gave 'Smith' a chance. What if CBS cancelled CSI after 3 shows? It would have been a BIG mistake. Cancelling Smith is one BIG mistake.

After seeing the previews for the show, I was sooo counting down the days it was going to air. SO,I made sure that at 11:30, I was home, to watch SMITH.
    I was always glued to the television waiting to see what would happen, how they would pull their tricks off, waiting for Hope to catch Bobby, and it was all good. If I was so glued to that in 3 shows, I know I would have been a Big Fan, a loyal one, cause I was a fan already, but it could have been bigger.
    I miss this show and I want it back. So please CBS Bring Smith Back, don't take another good show off the air.
    I can't wait to see what happens to Bobby, his wife and the crew. SOOOOO PLEASEEEEE!!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!
  • I think it was great and i was really disappointed when I found out that it was canceled.

I loved Smith and I am really disappointed that it has been canceled. CBS shouldn\\\'t cancel a show based on viewer polls i was able to vote on shows that I\\\'ve never even seen before. That is not a good way to judge new tv shows- if CBS cancels Heroes then the are complete idiots.
  • What wrong with you people, did you have to make room for the next season of "Who Wants to Marry a Lobster". This is a great show.

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below.
  • I cannot beleive they canceled this show. Last tuesday i was eagerly awaiting the third episode. and then i get some other garbage tv show. I thougt ok

maybe theyre just subbing it for a while. But i am just shocked and horrified that this show was ended after 2 episodes. It was sooo good. i am i am i am iama m m m m m m i am ia man man man man man man man am am am am am am am ban ma ma ma ma mm a mam am am am am am am a ma ma ma am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am am
  • me & my husband just love the show!!

We looked forward to being able to say that we have to stay home to watch SMITH. The action and the storyline are awsome! Please please please bring it back! Why take off a show just when the world is starting to get hooked. I personaly dont just sit and watch a show like I did SMITH but from the very begining I was hooked. Why can\'t the network take off a stupid show like the amazing race or survivor instead. oh wait that would be to easy. Iso just do the public and the network a favor and bring back this show. Thank you.
  • I need my Smith Fix! Please bring it back! I love this show!

This is absolutely the BEST show on network television. Or should I say, \'was\'. I am furious that it isn\'t on. I couldn\'t wait until Tuesday night. I was so excited tonight was the night! Did Bobby tell his wife he knew she was following him? What happened with the thugs that were looking for the dead guy because he owed them money??? What happened with his girlfriend and son? OMG I just can\'t believe it\'s not going to be on anymore. Smith is the ONLY drama I have watched on network television since Thirty Something was on back in the 80\'s. I am so disappointed. CBS made a huge mistake by taking this off the air. The reality shows are crap. Guess I have to go back to watching The Food Channel. Ugh.
  • Word has it that Smith was cancelled!! I am absolutely devastated!! It is the best new show of the season!! Excitng and adventurous, it kept me glued to my seat the whole 60 minutes. I can\'t imagine t.v. without this show!!

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine Tuesday nights without Smith. Probably, because it was opposite House,it didn't have a chance to gain the viewers. I, for one, changed my loyality from House to Smith because I love Ray Liotta and the rest of the cast that makes up this new superb show!!!!
  • I have paid to watch much worse films then this a-moral violent and utterly fantastic show. How refreshing to not be talked down to as an audience. If it keeps hitting this hard it’s going to be a great ride. Who writes bad guys like this? It’s unique.

From the opening action teaser it’s fast hard and edgy. Ray Liota does a great job. Their seems to be a trend towards attracting quality Hollywood actors to TV rolls and I have to say I really like it and I think it brings the whole show up to another level. Fantastic job by everyone, I’m blown away and can’t wait for more.
  • FABULOUS!Best show of the new season!Can't wait for next week! New,Exciting,Sexy and Different.Finally something new. Not even close to any other drama out there. The characters are complex & mysterious and leaves you wanting more. Keep this one comin

FABULOUS! This is definatly the best show of the new season!I can't wait for next week! New, Exciting, Sexy and Different. Finally something new. Not even close to any other drama out there. The characters are complex & mysterious.The chemistry between them all works really well on screen. It really leaves you wanting more. I'm so bored with all of the "reality TV" and same ole' detective/crime programing. This one is not your cookie cutter drama like on all the networks right now. I even watched the pilot on the computer the next day and have set the tivo to record them all so I can watch them over again. Keep this one coming!
  • Great show. Dark, interesting and edgy storyline and so far some great music.

I think the show brings back some old Miami Vice darkness and fresh life obstacles we all face. It has a tinge of the movie "Heat" which starred Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. I can get lost in the show for an hour before coming back to reality. It is suspenseful and gives you several angles at various timelines. The music in the first episode was excellent. I have a new favorite song from Imogen Heap "Hide and Seek". It is trendy and on the verge of creating something new with a touch of something old that is great.
  • I didnt expect this at all

This show is probablly one of the best this season. I was totally taken back by the plot. I didnt really know waht to expect just by watching the teasers for the promo for the show before the actual show aired. I knew Amy Smart from several movies and she played a badd@$$ that suited her perfectly in this show. I loved it. Then we have our main character who usally always plays a good guy. Its refreshing to see a Jackel and Hyde thing with him. Very good actor. I was confused for the first half of the program because I didnt quite understand what was going on but...after watching it..and sleeping on it...I now understand and think this show is deffinately going to have a rather large fan base...This show is great. END OF STORY!
< 1 2 3