So You Think You Can Dance

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews page 2 of 9

• Lighting and costume issues

Hi Hopefully someone reads this and listens have been running production and live entertainment in nightclubs for over 20 years including Avalon Hollywood. Las Vegas. many sbe clubs, Pasha Ibiza, and Moscow, Miami, NYC. and hire and choreograph hundreds of shows and go go dancers. I have NEVER missed a show since the beginning. It is without a doubt the best show on TV HOWEVER.. you have a fundamental PROBLEM and it's your LIGHTING and COSTUMES.. They are TOO DARK and MUTED and blend into the background which is TOO BUSY you have so many lights and panels the motion of the dancers doesn't work on camera , Most of all there is no contrast between the dancers and the Background because they are wearing GREY and black and DULL muted costumes against a back background and it's DEAD.. especially on TV.. You can hardly SEE the dancers AT ALL.. I deal with this every day because most clubs are dark and muted.. It RUINS the energy and takes away from what otherwise is an amazing seems like you wardrobe department is working separate from the lighting department and there isn't an over visual concept connection with the background and the color of the costumes.. You WANT TO HIGHLIGHT the dancers and we want to actually see them. Please I would love it hear from someone on the show.. My email is
  • So you think you can cry

This show used to be my favorite show. For 9 seasons I watched avidly. Now it is a shame. I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am. From the terrible choice of judges to the new ridiculous format of street vs stage. This show is horrible. I am sad to say that I am now looking forward to dancing with the stars as the premier dancing show on network television. In spite of dancing with the stars pageantry and fakeness ... It is now more authentic than so you think you can dance. I cannot believe what I am saying but sytycd has lost its authenticity... It's beauty ... I am crying tears of disappointment. There is no possibility for the best dancer to win. In what universe do you get rid of Darion and keep some of the dancers that were saved this week.
  • What happened?

Omg what happened to the old So You Think You Can Dance?? I use to LOVE this show, now I am completely disappointed every time I watch it! Why fix it, if it isn't broke? So bummed...
  • Do you really love us?

Just wondering, do you really read these (someone from the show)? Do you think of it as good feedback or is just a vent page? There are some very good comments here I believe (mixed in with some silliness to be sure). I'd really like to know because I think you've made some serious mistakes this year that need to be changed in the next season.
  • I'm soooooo sad........

Just like most of the reviews I've read, I too looked forward to this show every year. It was one of my favorite shows, never missed an episode, until now. This is absolutely AWFUL!!! I've been trying to give it a chance but I can't even get thru 1 episode without turning it off. It's not that I don't like the street dancing, it's just that I miss all the other dance styles & choreography.

I can only hope that enough of the people who are extremely disappointed will voice their opinions in hopes that they will go back to the original format. So if you are reading this and feel the same, please post your thoughts. I want the "So You Think You Can Dance" that I fell in love with, back!!!!

But, for now, I am taking it off my list of shows to record. Good-bye
  • Camera work sucks

We agree with most of the other reviewers who have taken the time to try to help this show get back on track. We could forgive some of the misguided directions they have taken but the camera work is the worst. Do they realize the dancers use their whole bodies not just their heads or upper torso? Additionally the choerography is generally meant to be viewed from the front not the side or back. The dancers provide the movement we do not need the camera trying to create movement. Nigel where's Mary !!!
  • It Is Awful !!!

this is a completely different show! it needs a completely different name! The show that everyone has loved loved loved for years is no longer on the air. the things we love about the show. the previous judges,are gone. You took a chance and tried to go with a younger audience, and you ruined the show. We had people to root for we had dancers who were talented. we love the different categories ballroom dancing contemporary dancing all kinds of wonderful choreographers. you had choreography that was award winning. They would change partners and you would have great new combinations. give this show a new name, and give us back the show that we fell in love with all these years ago. I had never missed a season. get rid of Paula and Jason!! If the format stays the same I not only will not watch this year I will not watch any other year either! Please go back to the original format!!!!!!why did you mess with such a great show? If you needed to fix the ratings then make changes that still fit in with the original format. Please fix this!!!!!
  • What a terrible shame.......

I LOVED THIS SHOW - I can't believe whats happened. Its impossible to follow what is happening - where's the dance? The group numbers are terrible, seem under rehearsed and none of the contestants shine. Its like a different show. 2 teams? It makes no sense. You can either dance or you can't. Popping ain't dancing when its all you can do. And the judges - well what a hot mess. Paula Abdul - please.... In her day - fine, but now not so much, she is so inarticulate. PLEASE someone save this show.
  • Still love the show

Amazing dancers - still love the show, but less than before.

I want this show to be continue forever - it's the only reality show I watch.

But I hope street dance will not be a major item - though they are good dancers, but the dances lack of varieties. Less training is also not good for the show.

• What a shame

Used to love this show. Now I feel like I am watching a dance recital instead of so you think you can dance. Miss the contestants connecting with each other and learning and growing in dance styles. Group dances are weak and judges say nothing but fluff. Yuk.
  • So You Think You Can Street Dance

For years, I have loved this show and looked forward to every summer so I could watch award winning choreography with people who have trained for years and excel in dance. But I detest this new format and I miss Mary Murphy. I feel like the show has turned its back on the qualities that made it so popular, such as its focus on all types of dance, even those that are not typically performed in the current culture. I loved that the top dancer had to be proficient in all types of dance. That is no longer the case and that is so disappointing. The show is so obviously focused on street dancers that I am disgusted. I have continued to watch for the few bright spots with classic dance, but the beauty is destroyed by the angry toughness of street dance. That half of the show is devoted to it is so disappointing. I continue to be disgusted with Nigel's snide dismissal of the concerns of the one dancer who opted not to participate because he rightfully thought the show had lost its focus. I believe this show will just lose more and more viewers and this will be it's last year. I grieve for its loss, not for what it now is, but for what it once was. Shame on the idiot who came up with this horrible format and on the people who agreed to it. You ruined a beautiful show.
  • Please stop the annoying camera man! He is moving the camera around too much!!!!!!!!

Please stop the camera man! He is hijacking the program by constantly moving the camera around! We just want to see the dancers and the beautiful choreography! The camera is so distracting and annoying!!!!!! Help!!!!!
  • My summer love is gone, gone, gone.

Every summer I look forward to SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I have watched since season 1. I have bought tickets to see the tour every year. I have waited stage door and gotten pictures with the dancers.

No more. I cannot even stand to watch this season. Don't think I have made it through a full episode.

Gone is the witty banter of knowledgeable judges. Gone is the pure celebration of beauty that is dance.

I miss Mary. I even miss the enthusiasm of her screams. I miss the fun and witty banter of judges like Jesse Tyler Furgeson, and Christina Applegate. Heck, I would even take the monotone, expressionless beautiful face of Misty Copeland over Paula Abdul. Misty is a Principal Ballerina . She knows her stuff.

I tried to stay true to you my summer love. But the love is gone. The boredom of a snoozefest remains.

This whole stage VS Street is stupid. It is all about the camaraderie of the dancers, trying different genres and growing throughout the season. I will just have to be happy with memories of golden summers past.

SYTYCD, you have alienated your fan base. I just can't spend time with you anymore. Goodbye.
  • Less Judges, More Dancers!

Love the show. One BIG pet peeve - who wants to see the judges' faces while the dancers are performing? At least put them up in a bubble or split screen. Do I need to see Paula Abdul smiling? Jason with gaping mouth open? really?
  • Hate It!!

Watched every previous season and didn't miss one show. This season is horrible. Nigel looks and absolutely should be uncomfortable. Paula and Jason are way out of their element. The entire premise is a total disaster. I'm truly sorry to say I'll not watch another show nor will my mate. We completely agree with gaydiplomat.
  • So you think you can laugh at dancers 2

I totally agree with everything that was said by nmsblais, on Jun 03, 2015 for Mondays episode where Jaden Zierra from Orlando, Florida auditioned. I felt insutled and disgust with how all three judges showed such disrespect and so little focus on his audition. Especially Paula. I am very suprised that Nigel took part in it. You can see in his face how humiliated he felt that at one point he almost walked away but still kept his dignity and poise and audtioned. If Mary Murphey was there I believe he would have been given a ticket. I may not be a judge but I think he did good enough to get a ticket and he brought something new to the table. He should be called back and apologized too and given a ticket for this lack of professionalism that I have never seen before on the show.
  • Bring bck Mary Murphy!!!

I miss Mary Murphy. Paula is not a good judge. I have watched So You Think You Can dance since it began, it was always the highlight of my summer TV watching. Not this year! I cannot stand all the street dancing. I will no longer watch.
  • TIME TO STOP THE MUSIC! NEW "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE:" LOST THE BEAT, OUT OF STEP, SAD TO WATCH!

As a fan since the first show, I'm truly disappointed at the "hot mess" the new version of "So You Think You Can Dance" has proved to be. I've watched two shows and given up. The idea of two competing categories of "STAGE" and "STREET" undermine the basic premise to showcase dance and encourage all contestants to expand their talents. The competition shouldn't be between styles of dance but between talented dancers learning to perform all styles.

In addition, the new judges are a disaster. I've been surprised to see them laugh at, rather than with some of the contestants. It was humiliating for the audience as well as the young dancer, who performed Ballroom/Hip Hop, to listen to Paula Abdul laughingly mock everything about him before he could even dance. Never seen that kind of treatment to previous contestants. Even Nigel, who is usually sensitive and supportive, failed to help the dancer. Jason Derulo is clearly uncomfortable with evaluating some of the male dancers and even said to one, "you just not my kinda I suspect he protests too much! He has a lot more in common with that contestant than he wants anyone to know. The old fun show full of hopeful contestants, encouraging judges, and great dancing has become one of snarky comments from judges chosen for their "supposed popularity" with no regard for their ability to articulate dance criticism. Twitch would have been a better judge than Jason, and any of the talented choreographers for the show would have been better than Paula Abdul. I prefer to watch reruns of previous seasons when talent was the priority, not being
  • So you think you can laugh at dancers

New formula. We'll have to see how all that works out. I really enjoyed watching the dancers, all of them, strutting their stuff. At some point near the end while watching the 12th season's Premiere, I realized that I was smiling ear to ear, and had been from most of the show.

However, not during all of it. I smiled less when Paula Abdul laughed uncontrollably at the dancer with the tie.

I know. She said it wasn't because of him. Nevertheless, that's what it looked like and I felt really bad for him. How humiliating it must have been! To his credit, he took it with equanimity and grace, though I did see several flickers of bafflement and sadness in his eyes.

What is even more shocking is that the producers decided to keep the whole laughing episode. Really? The laughing uncontrollably could have been edited out.

I can't help thinking that keeping that segment is tantamount to humiliating someone on social media. I mean, everybody who looked at the show saw this! Makes me miss Mary and her kind, loving professionalism and sense of humor.

And Paula Abdul being famous, won't the whole situation be exacerbated considering how copycating someone who's famous is a national passtime? . Paula Abdul laughed at this dancer, so it must be OK for everybody to laugh at him! Isn't this somewhat comparable to bullying?

Imagine what this dancer will have to endure when he goes back to his school, to his neighborhood! I think that it was bad judgement and lack of compassion to have kept that segment from Monday's show. A learning opportunity for the show's crew.

And in my opinion, it would have been a nice gesture to give the dancer a ticket to Vegas as a means of atonement... In spite of how very awful he must have felt, he did his number... and it was sort of a cute one.
  • Judges 0

It is the natural process of evolution that things change and hopefully improve. That is CERTAINLY not the case with the decision to oust Mary Murphy! To replace her with Paula Abdul??? Really? As a guest judge, fine, but she is NOT one who has the well rounded experience of a tried and true dancer, nor is the other judge currently sitting on the panel. Nigel and Mary are long established professionals who are experienced on the proper form of dance. This will seriously affect the quality of the show and the continued appreciation for the talent of the dancers. What a HUGE mistake!!!! Very disappointed!!!
  • season 11

Stop this screaming and whistling is so distracting! I'm so annoyed and distracted it takes all the joy out of watching the dancers!!! There so wonderful and amazing why would you ( the producers of this show) allow this.. It's reminding us of other shows. For god's sake give the dancers some respect, wait till their performance is over!! I cant hear anything but the screaming! Don't ruin this show! I have many acquaintances who are complaining of the same thing. Sad to say, some have stopped watching the show. Seriously to those of you controlling this show, shut the audience up....
  • Really disappointed in Season 11 - have the judges lost their minds?

I agree everything last poster MariaMichelle said. I really wish the producers wouldn't even put tap dancers in the top 20. Zack is pretty darn good but it's obvious he has had training in other styles. Valerie, on the hand, should not have even made it into the Top 20 much less the Top 4. She is several levels below any other dancer in the competition in ability or style. Some may defend her lack of technical ability by pointing to other seasons where street dancers won, such as Fikshun or Russell. Big difference there. Fikshun and Russell were both immensely talented and amazing in their own styles. I wish Season 11 had had a Fikshun or a Russell would have made a much more interesting show.

Nigel has always annoyed me, but never as much as this season. During one episode he shredded poor Marquet to pieces (though I thought his performance was charming), then went on to praise Valerie for committing much worse technical faux pas than Marquet ever did. I can't believe he saw the same performance I did.

Finally MariaMichelle, I was beginning to think I was the only sick to death of Ricky's leg extensions. I didn't notice he was using only his right leg, though. LOL!

• This year was horrible, I am sorry. and the finale, that I waited for all week, a complete let down.

What the heck is going on this year. I mean they are all NOBODY is really jamming the floor, and honestly I cannot believe that I was fast forwarding over dances. None of the judges are really that excited, it is so obvious. Mary Murphy, is giving compliments, that seem to be forced. No they are forced, fake, and a complete let down this year.

If Ricky does one more right leg extension, I am going to shut off the tv or watch a movie. Can he do that with his left leg? Nope, haven't seen it yet. Here is my prediction. They want tappers to win this year, obviously. Sad to say, tapping was or is exciting to the age group now from the 40s and 50s, who are now in their late 70s or early 80s, honestly the people really watching the show are not that excited over it. I was a tapper , even went to college for dance in Philadelphia..... Yes tapping is hard, but boring now. Honestly I liked the show better when thier was a group of guys and a group of girls. There really isnt anybody in the finale that is that outrageously good this year. Complete let down. I hope they fix this next year, because I've never been this bored with this show. There isn't one dance, (with the exclusion of Zack, a little?)that covers a huge part of the dance, floor, again, boring, a let down, nothing special, and probably will not watch next year. What a bummer. Looking for a movie on a pay channel instead and turning it off. Jessica and Ricky probably should win, but again, nothing that great, but watch valerie and zack take it cuz they are tapping , They never had tapper winners, guess they are trying to be different. Who cares, they ruined it this year.
  • Never too old to learn

71 years old and never knew or cared about dance until my wife and I started watching SYTYCD. Watched season 1 and haven't missed an episode since. Most entertaining show on TV. Amazing talent and beautiful choreography. I feel like I've received an education in dance. I know I could be a better judge than some of the big name singer/actor judges who don't know anything about dance. Their flippant cliche comments are embarrassing (almost as bad as Randy Jackson on AI). Especially enjoyed Misty Copeland. I'm too old to do much dancing (although my twist always draws a crowd at wedding receptions) but I have gained a great appreciation for dance because of this show.
  • Season 11 sucks

The best seasons were 3-10. 1 and 2 were good also, but each year continued to get better than the last one. Season 11 is no where close to any of the previous seasons. I stopped watching especially after the best female dancer on the show this season (Tanesha) was booted off.
  • Utter Disappointment

4.5
    I've been watching this show for 6 years and although there's always been the tween voting factor and a fair amount of producer manipulation (it is reality television after all!) I'd always appreciated the fact that SYTYCD attempted to be innovative, genuine and encouraged talent and growth.

Now the show is overblown, lazy and completely biased. I'm of course annoyed by factors other people have pointed out (distracting camera movement, vanilla cast and unfair voting practices), but worst by far is the blatant bias. Valerie is the worst example of this; she has been one of the weakest dancers, propped up only by the choreographers' help (she got one of the strongest partners to start out with and got to sit for half of the dances this week) and the judges' empty praise. I'm also pissed off about Ricky and Jessica. Don't get me wrong, they're both amazing, but I would have probably liked them (and not minded them winning, which they obviously will) were it not for them being shoved down my freaking throat. They were both always highlighted in the group dances (Ricky especially was always front and center, with the cameras and lights always focused on him) and were endlessly lauded by the judges and choreographers ("You're the one to beat" to Ricky practically every week. Very subtle!).

In the end I will probably still end up watching, but I'll fast forward through half of it and not even bother to vote. At least I'm happy to know that like most reality television shows, winning means absolutely nothing (see all their most popular alumni who didn't take first: Travis Wall, Twitch, Mark, etc,). My favorite dancers have the actual talent and will continue to do amazing things.
  • Voting Process Suck

I don't think the dancers fate should be left up to America! I think this whole thing is a popularity contest based on factors other than their dancing. Valerie should have definitely been in the bottom 2, her routine the week before was so weird. She didn't pull it off at all. I think it should have been Kasey and Valerie. I bet people are like OMG look how fast and how many spins Kasey can do, I'm going to vote for him. Also, I wonder how many people have been voting from the beginning and have seen the dancers from the beginning of the season. See the flaw! If somebody tunes in here and there and see an amazing routine and like them immediately and then don't pay attention to there overall performances then I don't see how America can be in charge of judging. It's really unfortunate.
  • Facebook's Favorite Dancer

I LOVE SYTYCD. I despise facebook. So as much as I love the show, and want to vote for my favorites, I won't be voting. It is not right to force people to use a service they may not be able to use, or like me, refuse to use, to vote. So I guess this year it will not be America's favorite dancer, but Facebook's favorite dancer who wins. This is just wrong.
  • cruel elimination format

what really bothers me about this season (besides the ridiculous guest judging), is the way they hear of their elimination right after they dance. Why not let them know at the end of the show? How cruel it was to give them a great review of the dance then tell them they were voted off. What they did to Rudy was just so ridiculous. And it's not just him.

I don't have faith in the audience to vote for the best dancer's. It really is America's Favorite Dancer. There's no deception involved there. America votes for their favorites. I'm no different. Favorite is totally subjective. It's opinion. But I don't want to have to look away after every review so I don't have to see their broken hearts. Wait till the end. Make the show more pleasant.

Still love the dancing. The quality of contestants and the choreographers is still excellent. So much to love. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Nigel. Shut up. You are so often annoying. Your comment about the Emmy's was so embarassing. True or not.

• Really????

Something needs to be done about the voting process. I mean.... REALLY..... Rudy and Tanisha! They excelled in every dance they did. Judges loved them crowd loved them, and I can only guess that the viewing audience loved them.

The 2 that got to stay were not near as talented. Drives me nuts when the BEST dancers are consistently voted off.

And on a side note.... The producers need to do something about the gawd awful camera shots/work. Half the time we're blinded by spot lights in the camera and the other half the camera is whirling around the dancers so it is almost impossible to SEE the actual dance.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9