So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews page 3 of 11

• Done watching.

Love affair ended, dance thrill gone. Previous passion for SYTYCD abruptly ceased with this season's lack- lustre contribution to the arts. Gone are the props (think hotel luggage cart), absent are flowing ballgown and foxtrot. Replacement with mediocre routines and choreography turns my heart cold in despair. I yearn for absent beauty, talent, and skill of previous seasons! I can't watch this catastrophe, please return to your glory years!
  • What happened?

I really went into the new format with an open mind, but have been extremely disappointed. The dancers are just not on the same level as before, Jason is honestly a horrible judge and doesnt know what he is talking about, and even the choreographers are second rate and the dances are boring and slow. I could not believe after watching Asaf dance the judges said "we like you cause you try hard". This isnt about who can try the hardest, this is about americas best dancer!! If people danced like this on the previous seasons, they wouldve never made it to the top 20. SYTYCD better change for next season because me (as a really big fan of the show) is ready to give up on it after this season.
  • You Guys need to calm down

So much negativity? I've scene comment after comment about hating this new format. Is it really that bad? can people really not adapt to any change? There are many great things about this format. 1, since its randomized every week, it doesn't get stale. With normal couple, the problem is that some people make it further then they should, because they are carried by their partner. This way, you focus on the dancers one at a time. Sure, we dont get magical couples, but we still get magical moments.

Secondly, it leaves access to more creative routines. There are only so many storys you can do with just 2 people. with the groups thrown in all the time, it leaves great ideas for choreo. and about that, people are hating the choreography this year? its been pretty good so far, and its only been 3 weeks. You have to try new choreographers, you cant always use the same ones week after week.

Thirdly, People are talking shit about the street side, saying they are inferior and it shouldn't be on the show in the first place? What? im sorry, i though this show was to test people's versatility, not weather you can do amazing contemporary routines. and thats what this show was starting to do. last season there were like 2 to 3 contemporary dances a week. Wheres did all the ball room go? where did all the hip hop go? This format allows to have a more versatile show. i dont care if you know watch it for the contemporary dances, dont be selfish. this show is for EVERYONE.

Now of course there are some fault of this season, but not nearly as much as so many of you want to claim. Like the judges. i agree, paula and jason are kinda boring, especially jason. But weather we like it or not, people need to move on, im sure mary will be fine. Sure i wish she would come back, i love her, but things dont last forever. I just think people are being picky, and just hate change. cause this show is so interesting right now. Grow up people, embrace the change.
  • If it ain't broke

I'm so disillusioned!

It's like they cut the budget in half, everything

is cheap, choreographers, dancers are second rate,

even Cat seems depressed. This show used

to move me (embarrassingly, surprisingly) to tears, now

I'm fast forwarding through the heartless crap.

• why is Jason a judge? I don't get it!

Horrible judges! Why Jason Derulo wtf?! At least bring back Mia Michaels, Debbie Allen! Anyone with some real judging skills! Paula is just a headache to me, never cared for her stiff akward personality. She speaks like her mind is flipping through channels, like she's temporarily tuning into herself. I miss Mary so much omg:( choreo sucks for the most part, not a fan this season.
  • What happened to SYTYCD?

I have been a super fan of this show since its first season. Always so excited when a new season began. I went into this season with an open mind, but have been so disappointed. First, there is no chemistry with the judges. I miss Mary terribly. Paula and Jason are simply not cutting it. Bring back the guest judges. It was always so much fun to listen to their critiques. Now I simply fast-forward. Not liking the Stage vs. Street format. Most of all, not thrilled with the 3-person numbers. It's not working. I also think the choreography is not at the same level. No memorable numbers to date. All in all, just one big disappointment. It's almost like they are trying to get cancelled. Used to be the best talent contest on TV. Please go back to the old format, and bring back some life to the show - bring back MARY!!!
  • The Hot Tamale Train Sparkle is GONE

This season sucks. The format is not working, there were no guest judges in the judging rounds, and they fired Mary Murphy. There is no fun, no rapport with the judges. The life has been wrung out of this show that I had always enjoyed and anticipated watching. And why did they choose Asaf over Burim? Nothing makes sense. If they don't bring Mary show is a goner.
  • I miss the old SYTYCD!

Ok, so when people began complaining about the new format of SYTYCD, I took notice, but because I love the show so much, I wanted to believe it would be alright. I eagerly awaited the new season this May - my favorite show to watch during the summer months while I'm off as a teacher! I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Stage vs. Street format, but during the tryouts I watched while trying to find a dancer that stood out. Now that the competition part has been going on for several weeks, I have finally admitted to myself and to other avid fans, who agree by the way, that this just isn't working! The choreography is not good, the untrained dancers are not exciting to watch, except for maybe one or two, and the trained dancers are fair to good. I hope it's just the choreography in their case - they are not being given much to work with. The judging panel is not fun either!!! There is no wit or creativity to their comments and nothing constructive is handed to the dancers except from Nigel. I miss lyrical with two people on stage so much and I miss Mary Murphy!! Last night after watching Monday's show again with some neighbors and having a long discussion about all the disappointments this season, I went to bed with my iPad and watched multiple dances from seasons past. I ended up watching for two 1/2 hours and LOVING every second. There is NO COMPARISION to what used to be on the . There used to be banter, affection, conversation, humor, technique, beautiful dancing, hard work, great judging, creative criticism, improvement, the list goes on. As a trained dancer, albeit many years ago, I miss the inspiration, emotion, and beauty that used to be on SYTYCD. There are too many other things I can be doing with my time for the remainder of the summer other than watching and hoping to see these elements on a failing show. So sad....
  • Disappointed, poor season

There are a whole group of us young and older women who meet every week to eat and enjoy so you think you can dance and we are very disappointed in this season. The costuming is terrible and there is too much street dancing. The new choreographers are

doing strange routines and some are way too difficult for the beginning shows. We feel that so much street dancing has taken so much away from the old routines including everything. We will continue to watch but this is not our favorite show anymore and hopefully this will change before the season ends. Kat's dresses are atrocious this year. Too short, colors are terrible and the styles poor for her beautiful figure. We miss Mary and there's no connection with the judges.
  • Not Too Happy With the New Format

I have always loved, loved, loved SYTYCD. I have always loved it much more than Dancing With the Stars because these kids are trying so hard to become professionals and the choreographers are the best. However, with this new format, it's hard to watch because there are more than two dancers on the floor and it's hard to really see each of them well. The judges seem to like it but because they are pros, it isn't as hard for them to follow. I loved the old format much, much better. Plus, it's always been one of my favorite shows on TV. Please don't let it get canceled!!
  • Agree with all the comments-new format is bad

Where is the tango and the waltz and the samba, etc. Those are the dances I look forward to with a bit of hip hop mixed in. It was fun to watch a tapper or a street dancer grow and show the world they could do the ballroom dances and vice versa. This new format may appeal to a young audience and maybe that's what the new format is intended to do but being in my 50's I'm afraid they are about to lose me and I've watched the show from the
  • Sooooo disappointed!

I really look forward to watching this show every season. It is so disappointing this new format. I actually miss Mary screaming in Nigel's ear! She brought so much enthusiasm to the show! Adam Shankman is the bomb! Paula talks in staccato. It's really hard to listen to her talk. And the costumes are soooooo boring!!! Where did all the sparkles and glamour go? It's all dark fabric, and jumbled patchy fabric all over the body. And I agree with everyone that the camera angles are horrible and are all over the place. It's so hard to concentrate on the dance as a whole. Sooooo disappointed! Please someone from the show respond to our concerns!
  • So VERY sad!!

SYTYCD has always been my favorite reality show. It was something to look forward to every summer when so many shows are on hiatus. Now Monday nights are so sad, because I remember how excited I always was that SYTYCD came on Mondays. (Even my husband loved the show, and now he gets up and walks I simply don't understand FOX. First they took it down from a 2-night a week show to one night which totally changed the anticipation of who would be leaving the show, and crammed it all into one night. Then, they hired cameramen who are more interested in doing something creative with the camera than focusing on the dancers. It is so very frustrating to try and watch the dancers with the cameras jumping around constantly. The focus should be on the DANCERS!! Now they have hired boring new judges and changed the format. I am assuming the new format is the reason so many of the good choreographers have jumped ship. Now the routines are "dumbed down" to accommodate the untrained street dancers. The threesomes make it impossible for there to be any emotional connection, and the levels of ability of the three dancers never are even, so no one is ever together and the routines are lack-luster. The robot routine last night was the only routine I have seen all season that was great, and it was because it was hip-hop, the stage dancer had training in it, and there were only two people in it! Basically it was the only dance similar to the previous years that we all loved so much! I have never been a fan of Dancing with the Stars because I compared it to the level of dancing in SYTYCD, but I watched it this year because Allison Holker was on it, and I have long been a fan of hers since SYTYCD. Yes, I fast-forwarded past a lot of the silly ones they have on the show, but at least the cameras let you see the dance routine, and it's a shame to recognize that untrained celebrities did a better job than most of the dancers on SYTYCD this summer. It's so unfair to the kids who have trained so hard not to get to show off their chops. Please bring back beauty to dancing and entertain us on these long, hot summer nights!! FOX wake up, fire whoever you put in charge of SYTYCD, and get back to the winning show you had!!!
  • Where the hell is Mary Murphy?

This show has always made me laugh, cry, pull weird faces and jump around the lounge room. However, Paula Abdul is a choreographer not a TV presenter! SHE LITERALLY CANNOT CONSTRUCT A SENTENCE! I can tolerate the new layout even though I feel it pulls the level down but my door mat has more personality and heart than Paula Abdul! Shocked! Unfortunately the show will hurt without Mary Murphy....
  • Much Prefer the Older Format

I'm disappointed at the way the Street vs. Stage idea is working out. The choreography seems skewed toward street dancers. Especially the routine by Tovaris seemed to accommodate untrained dancers, and I'm generally finding the routines to be "dumbed down" and boring. I think in the past that it's been very exciting to see a street dancer, such as Twitch, rise to the difficult level of choreography. This year, however, the choreography seems to be sinking to the level of the untrained dancers. I hope that the old system will be implemented again next year. That having been said, I truly love what SYTYCD brings to television entertainment and look forward to it every year. Thanks, Nigel, for keeping it going!
  • Most disappointing "dancing" show I've ever watched

As a competitive dancer for 18+ years, I've altered my schedule in order to watch SYTYCD every year until now. The street v stage is the worst move the show could've ever pulled. Street dancing is what Americas Best Dance Cree is for, NOT SYTYCD. I could go on and on about the horrible choices made. 1. Getting rid of Mary Murphy. 2. Addition of mediocre street dancers. 3. Dumbed down choreography to accommodate the street dancers who've never done choreography in their life. 4. Jason derulo. 5. Paula Abdul. 6. Removing lots of Sonya & Travis' choreography. I could Literally go on forever.

Well youve lost 1 viewer here, who used to be absolutely thrilled with your show & watching beautifully trained dancers perform phenomenally. Sad to say this is probably this show's last season. Guess I'll have to rewatch all the old season's episodes now
  • Make It Stop!

This season is just terrible. I've been a fan since Season 2 and I've never been so disappointed. I hate the new Stage v. Street format, cannot STAND the new judge lineup and the costumes are just awful. The camera work sucks, and honestly this group of dancers just generally feels weaker to me; there is no one who stands out, no one even seems like they have the chops to win. Even the routines seem uninspired, I mean the "Club ChaCha"? Asaf just stood there! Can't stand the 3 person routines and I really miss Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Christina Applegate. I just hope this isn't the last season because it would sucks for them to go out this way.

• Whose brilliant idea is this new format

We have watched from the very first year and loved this program. My very favorite. SO disappointed this year. Always loved how the show got some of the street performers to do waltzes, etc. etc. now it all looks the same. Nothing exciting going on. I can't believe how disappointing this season is. Old saying if it's not broke don't fix it! Sorry not going to recommend this program anymore
  • Horrible season!

I am so disappointed by this season! This has always been my summer "guilty pleasure"' but I don't even care if I watch ! The threesomes are horrible! None of the chemistry that the couples had in he past. It is hard to watch. Whose idea was this new format! Nigel! Bad bad idea. I also miss the guest judges. Why did you mess with something that was working? Jason is horrible. He just echoes what everyone else says. Even Cat is getting on my nerves.

• whose stupid idea was it to change the format?

I have loved this show from the first season. I am REALLY hating the new season. I don't like that they don't have couples anymore. It is hard to tell who is even dancing. I really miss Mary, the show is not the same without her. Nigel should have his head examined for thinking this was a better way to go. Not sure if I will even watch any more.
  • I hate this new season

We have watched from Epidode One and we always arranged our schedule around the show. I hate what they have done this season?? No couples, no chemistry, big groups you can't even connect with? Half street show? We loved seeing street dancers do star and vice versa?? We are done watching this show and we are really heartbroken over this season?? Awful costumes, awful sets and lighting, and the routines are terrible:/( PLEASE bring back the show we all loved !!!!
  • The New Format Sucks!

I have watched every show since season 1 and am about to call it quits. The costumes are horrible, but that is not the worst of it. The lighting is overdone and the constantly moving camera makes it impossible to see the dancers. Sometimes you only see half the stage, missing whatever else goes on at the other end. How can we judge the contestants when we barely see them. Please, go back to the old format !!!! Pretty please!
  • Get rid of Paula and Jason!!

FOX?!? What the hell are you doing? Fine that you change the format of SYTYCD. But, Mary Murphy was a core piece of your brand. Getting rid of her and bringing in two sub-par judges in her place and in the place of some exceptional guests like Jesse Tyler Ferguson and some of your top Choreographers was a silly move. Paula cannot complete a coherent sentence. She is confusing and her feedback is not constructive or valuable. Jason may have a little experience with the "street" style, but if he says he would pay money to see one of these dancers or groups of dancers again... i'm going to stop watching. That is the most irritating, condescending statement. Both Paula and Jason are counter to your brand, style, voice, and the fundamental sensibility of your show. They are not respected, interesting, or smart. Paula uses words like "juxtaposition" without having any idea what she means. It's embarrassing.
  • Tuning OUT the new show!

WOW! Who decided to change the show? Big mistake!! Until this year, So You Think You Can Dance was one of my favorites. I only watched episodes 7 and 8 as I did not know you were back on the air until last week. After watching episode 7, I decided to give it one more try so I watched episode 8. Unfortunately, that episode was just as bad. I will no longer watch a show I previously looked forward to.

I still like Cat!! I like Nigel some of the time; however, I did not like Nigel complaining about the viewers negative comments regarding Street versus Stage. I am one of the viewers who does not like this change. I do not like the costumes thus far either. Paula has provided some helpful feedback to the dancers, but I really miss the always fun Mary Murphy.

How about returning the show to its former glory? If you do this, I will watch once again.

Thank you for listening.

• And where was Sonya ?????

Last night's 10 years sytycd celebration left one HUGE hole, the non-mentioning altogether of the great routines designed by SONYA (sorry I don't know her last name). Her routines were hands-down the most imaginative throughout sytycd's existence. WHO CENSORED THIS BROADCAST TO EXCLUDE HER?
  • 10 year celebration.. Insulting??

I have watched every show since season 1 and I find it absolutely insulted by this 1 hour fly by of s free past routines while Fox shamelessly spends more time plugging the next show instead of celebrating the wonderful, wonderful dancers that have graced their stages over the past 10 seasons! They truly deserved more respect than was given tonight!
  • very disappointed

Not really liking this year so far. I don't mind the stage vs street. what I don't like is how they are not in couples. really HATE the 'threesomes' and 'foursomes'.
  • Is the cameraman dancing, too?

OMG, I'm going to have to stop watching because I can't see the dancing!! I don't want to watch choreography from the point of view of someone swinging around above and around the stage. If I can't enjoy the dancing, the footwork, the little details, then why watch? What a shame, to loose a viewer because the camera person wants to "be fancy" - just stand there for God's sake! Don't ruin the whole show! Please make it so that I have front row seats. I'm so upset, I've had to eliminate a lot of curse words - it just seems so ridiculous that this one element of the show could be responsible for it's demise.
  • Lighting and costume issues

Hi Hopefully someone reads this and listens have been running production and live entertainment in nightclubs for over 20 years including Avalon Hollywood. Las Vegas. many sbe clubs, Pasha Ibiza, and Moscow, Miami, NYC. and hire and choreograph hundreds of shows and go go dancers. I have NEVER missed a show since the beginning. It is without a doubt the best show on TV HOWEVER.. you have a fundamental PROBLEM and it's your LIGHTING and COSTUMES.. They are TOO DARK and MUTED and blend into the background which is TOO BUSY you have so many lights and panels the motion of the dancers doesn't work on camera , Most of all there is no contrast between the dancers and the Background because they are wearing GREY and black and DULL muted costumes against a back background and it's DEAD.. especially on TV.. You can hardly SEE the dancers AT ALL.. I deal with this every day because most clubs are dark and muted.. It RUINS the energy and takes away from what otherwise is an amazing seems like you wardrobe department is working separate from the lighting department and there isn't an over visual concept connection with the background and the color of the costumes.. You WANT TO HIGHLIGHT the dancers and we want to actually see them. Please I would love it hear from someone on the show.. My email is
  • So you think you can cry

This show used to be my favorite show. For 9 seasons I watched avidly. Now it is a shame. I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am. From the terrible choice of judges to the new ridiculous format of street vs stage. This show is horrible. I am sad to say that I am now looking forward to dancing with the stars as the premier dancing show on network television. In spite of dancing with the stars pageantry and fakeness ... It is now more authentic than so you think you can dance. I cannot believe what I am saying but sytycd has lost its authenticity... It's beauty ... I am crying tears of disappointment. There is no possibility for the best dancer to win. In what universe do you get rid of Darion and keep some of the dancers that were saved this week.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10