So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (261)

• This show is HORRIBLE!!!

0.3
    I think that this show was a complete and utter waste of 2 hours of my life. This was one show that was way overated. Everyone made such a big deal out of it. The only good part about this show was the people that couldn't dance. The horrible part is that I could actually feel my IQ dropping to an all new low. I don't feel as though this show will or should be on much longer. Fox can find something better to put on the air like...anything. This is just a really bad spin off of American Idol. Yes, I do know that this was from the producers af American Idol. If this show stays on the air I am positive that there would not be a season 2.
  • So you think Fox couldn't get worse! This is mostly a copy of American Idol, and when they win what do they do, become low paid back ground dancers?

0.5
    Okay, if you thought American Idol was a waste, try watching people dance! It is the same American Idol consept, but worse! And once somebody wins, what will they do, just say, "Oh my gosh, I went through all of that trouble to go on TV and be appreciated!" Well this just seems like more of a waste than watching people sing, but dancing! Please people, get a good reality show besides Nanny 911, please!
  • What is happening to FOX ?!! FOX keeps slowly taking off all the good shows on their channel for shows like this.ITS SO STUPID!!!!!!!

0.5
    What is happening to FOX ?!! Whats next .... So You Think You Can Make ALL of America Fall Asleep... FOX keeps slowly taking off all the good shows on their channel for shows like this. And why in the world do they have it on for two hours or an hour and a half.ITS SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!
  • Done watching.

Love affair ended, dance thrill gone. Previous passion for SYTYCD abruptly ceased with this season's lack- lustre contribution to the arts. Gone are the props (think hotel luggage cart), absent are flowing ballgown and foxtrot. Replacement with mediocre routines and choreography turns my heart cold in despair. I yearn for absent beauty, talent, and skill of previous seasons! I can't watch this catastrophe, please return to your glory years!
  • If it ain't broke

I'm so disillusioned!

It's like they cut the budget in half, everything

is cheap, choreographers, dancers are second rate,

even Cat seems depressed. This show used

to move me (embarrassingly, surprisingly) to tears, now

I'm fast forwarding through the heartless crap.

MARY MARY MARY

• I miss the old SYTYCD!

Ok, so when people began complaining about the new format of SYTYCD, I took notice, but because I love the show so much, I wanted to believe it would be alright. I eagerly awaited the new season this May - my favorite show to watch during the summer months while I'm off as a teacher! I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Stage vs. Street format, but during the tryouts I watched while trying to find a dancer that stood out. Now that the competition part has been going on for several weeks, I have finally admitted to myself and to other avid fans, who agree by the way, that this just isn't working! The choreography is not good, the untrained dancers are not exciting to watch, except for maybe one or two, and the trained dancers are fair to good. I hope it's just the choreography in their case - they are not being given much to work with. The judging panel is not fun either!!! There is no wit or creativity to their comments and nothing constructive is handed to the dancers except from Nigel. I miss lyrical with two people on stage so much and I miss Mary Murphy!! Last night after watching Monday's show again with some neighbors and having a long discussion about all the disappointments this season, I went to bed with my iPad and watched multiple dances from seasons past. I ended up watching for two 1/2 hours and LOVING every second. There is NO COMPARISION to what used to be on the . There used to be banter, affection, conversation, humor, technique, beautiful dancing, hard work, great judging, creative criticism, improvement, the list goes on. As a trained dancer, albeit many years ago, I miss the inspiration, emotion, and beauty that used to be on SYTYCD. There are too many other things I can be doing with my time for the remainder of the summer other than watching and hoping to see these elements on a failing show. So sad....
  • Sooooo disappointed!

I really look forward to watching this show every season. It is so disappointing this new format. I actually miss Mary screaming in Nigel's ear! She brought so much enthusiasm to the show! Adam Shankman is the bomb! Paula talks in staccato. It's really hard to listen to her talk. And the costumes are soooooo boring!!! Where did all the sparkles and glamour go? It's all dark fabric, and jumbled patchy fabric all over the body. And I agree with everyone that the camera angles are horrible and are all over the place. It's so hard to concentrate on the dance as a whole. Sooooo disappointed! Please someone from the show respond to our concerns!
  • Most disappointing "dancing" show I've ever watched

As a competitive dancer for 18+ years, I've altered my schedule in order to watch SYTYCD every year until now. The street v stage is the worst move the show could've ever pulled. Street dancing is what Americas Best Dance Cree is for, NOT SYTYCD. I could go on and on about the horrible choices made. 1. Getting rid of Mary Murphy. 2. Addition of mediocre street dancers. 3. Dumbed down choreography to accommodate the street dancers who've never done choreography in their life. 4. Jason derulo. 5. Paula Abdul. 6. Removing lots of Sonya & Travis' choreography. I could Literally go on forever.

Well youve lost 1 viewer here, who used to be absolutely thrilled with your show & watching beautifully trained dancers perform phenomenally. Sad to say this is probably this show's last season. Guess I'll have to rewatch all the old season's episodes now
  • Make It Stop!

This season is just terrible. I've been a fan since Season 2 and I've never been so disappointed. I hate the new Stage v. Street format, cannot STAND the new judge lineup and the costumes are just awful. The camera work sucks, and honestly this group of dancers just generally feels weaker to me; there is no one who stands out, no one even seems like they have the chops to win. Even the routines seem uninspired, I mean the "Club ChaCha"? Asaf just stood there! Can't stand the 3 person routines and I really miss Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Christina Applegate. I just hope this isn't the last season because it would sucks for them to go out this way.

• Whose brilliant idea is this new format

We have watched from the very first year and loved this program. My very favorite. SO disappointed this year. Always loved how the show got some of the street performers to do waltzes, etc. etc. now it all looks the same. Nothing exciting going on. I can't believe how disappointing this season is. Old saying if it's not broke don't fix it! Sorry not going to recommend this program anymore
  • Horrible season!

I am so disappointed by this season! This has always been my summer "guilty pleasure"' but I don't even care if I watch ! The threesomes are horrible! None of the chemistry that the couples had in he past. It is hard to watch. Whose idea was this new format! Nigel! Bad bad idea. I also miss the guest judges. Why did you mess with something that was working? Jason is horrible. He just echoes what everyone else says. Even Cat is getting on my nerves.

• I hate this new season

We have watched from Epidode One and we always arranged our schedule around the show. I hate what they have done this season?? No couples, no chemistry, big groups you can't even connect with? Half street show? We loved seeing street dancers do star and vice versa?? We are done watching this show and we are really heartbroken over this season?? Awful costumes, awful sets and lighting, and the routines are terrible:/( PLEASE bring back the show we all loved !!!!
  • The New Format Sucks!

I have watched every show since season 1 and am about to call it quits. The costumes are horrible, but that is not the worst of it. The lighting is overdone and the constantly moving camera makes it impossible to see the dancers. Sometimes you only see half the stage, missing whatever else goes on at the other end. How can we judge the contestants when we barely see them. Please, go back to the old format !!!! Pretty please!
  • Tuning OUT the new show!

WOW! Who decided to change the show? Big mistake!! Until this year, So You Think You Can Dance was one of my favorites. I only watched episodes 7 and 8 as I did not know you were back on the air until last week. After watching episode 7, I decided to give it one more try so I watched episode 8. Unfortunately, that episode was just as bad. I will no longer watch a show I previously looked forward to.

I still like Cat!! I like Nigel some of the time; however, I did not like Nigel complaining about the viewers negative comments regarding Street versus Stage. I am one of the viewers who does not like this change. I do not like the costumes thus far either. Paula has provided some helpful feedback to the dancers, but I really miss the always fun Mary Murphy.

How about returning the show to its former glory? If you do this, I will watch once again.

Thank you for listening.

• And where was Sonya ?????

Last night's 10 years sytycd celebration left one HUGE hole, the non-mentioning altogether of the great routines designed by SONYA (sorry I don't know her last name). Her routines were hands-down the most imaginative throughout sytycd's existence. WHO CENSORED THIS BROADCAST TO EXCLUDE HER?
  • So you think you can cry

This show used to be my favorite show. For 9 seasons I watched avidly. Now it is a shame. I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am. From the terrible choice of judges to the new ridiculous format of street vs stage. This show is horrible. I am sad to say that I am now looking forward to dancing with the stars as the premier dancing show on network television. In spite of dancing with the stars pageantry and fakeness ... It is now more authentic than so you think you can dance. I cannot believe what I am saying but sytycd has lost its authenticity... It's beauty ... I am crying tears of disappointment. There is no possibility for the best dancer to win. In what universe do you get rid of Darion and keep some of the dancers that were saved this week.
  • What happened?

Omg what happened to the old So You Think You Can Dance?? I use to LOVE this show, now I am completely disappointed every time I watch it! Why fix it, if it isn't broke? So bummed...
  • I'm soooooo sad........

Just like most of the reviews I've read, I too looked forward to this show every year. It was one of my favorite shows, never missed an episode, until now. This is absolutely AWFUL!!! I've been trying to give it a chance but I can't even get thru 1 episode without turning it off. It's not that I don't like the street dancing, it's just that I miss all the other dance styles & choreography.

I can only hope that enough of the people who are extremely disappointed will voice their opinions in hopes that they will go back to the original format. So if you are reading this and feel the same, please post your thoughts. I want the "So You Think You Can Dance" that I fell in love with, back!!!!

But, for now, I am taking it off my list of shows to record. Good-bye
  • Camera work sucks

We agree with most of the other reviewers who have taken the time to try to help this show get back on track. We could forgive some of the misguided directions they have taken but the camera work is the worst. Do they realize the dancers use their whole bodies not just their heads or upper torso? Additionally the choerography is generally meant to be viewed from the front not the side or back. The dancers provide the movement we do not need the camera trying to create movement. Nigel where's Mary !!!
  • What a shame

Used to love this show. Now I feel like I am watching a dance recital instead of so you think you can dance. Miss the contestants connecting with each other and learning and growing in dance styles. Group dances are weak and judges say nothing but fluff. Yuk.
  • My summer love is gone, gone, gone.

Every summer I look forward to SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I have watched since season 1. I have bought tickets to see the tour every year. I have waited stage door and gotten pictures with the dancers.

No more. I cannot even stand to watch this season. Don't think I have made it through a full episode.

Gone is the witty banter of knowledgeable judges. Gone is the pure celebration of beauty that is dance.

I miss Mary. I even miss the enthusiasm of her screams. I miss the fun and witty banter of judges like Jesse Tyler Furgeson, and Christina Applegate. Heck, I would even take the monotone, expressionless beautiful face of Misty Copeland over Paula Abdul. Misty is a Principal Ballerina . She knows her stuff.

I tried to stay true to you my summer love. But the love is gone. The boredom of a snoozefest remains.

This whole stage VS Street is stupid. It is all about the camaraderie of the dancers, trying different genres and growing throughout the season. I will just have to be happy with memories of golden summers past.

SYTYCD, you have alienated your fan base. I just can't spend time with you anymore. Goodbye.
  • Hate It!!

Watched every previous season and didn't miss one show. This season is horrible. Nigel looks and absolutely should be uncomfortable. Paula and Jason are way out of their element. The entire premise is a total disaster. I'm truly sorry to say I'll not watch another show nor will my mate. We completely agree with gaydiplomat.
  • Bring bck Mary Murphy!!!

I miss Mary Murphy. Paula is not a good judge. I have watched So You Think You Can dance since it began, it was always the highlight of my summer TV watching. Not this year! I cannot stand all the street dancing. I will no longer watch.
  • Judges 0

It is the natural process of evolution that things change and hopefully improve. That is CERTAINLY not the case with the decision to oust Mary Murphy! To replace her with Paula Abdul??? Really? As a guest judge, fine, but she is NOT one who has the well rounded experience of a tried and true dancer, nor is the other judge currently sitting on the panel. Nigel and Mary are long established professionals who are experienced on the proper form of dance. This will seriously affect the quality of the show and the continued appreciation for the talent of the dancers. What a HUGE mistake!!!! Very disappointed!!!
  • This year was horrible, I am sorry. and the finale, that I waited for all week, a complete let down.

What the heck is going on this year. I mean they are all NOBODY is really jamming the floor, and honestly I cannot believe that I was fast forwarding over dances. None of the judges are really that excited, it is so obvious. Mary Murphy, is giving compliments, that seem to be forced. No they are forced, fake, and a complete let down this year.

If Ricky does one more right leg extension, I am going to shut off the tv or watch a movie. Can he do that with his left leg? Nope, haven't seen it yet. Here is my prediction. They want tappers to win this year, obviously. Sad to say, tapping was or is exciting to the age group now from the 40s and 50s, who are now in their late 70s or early 80s, honestly the people really watching the show are not that excited over it. I was a tapper , even went to college for dance in Philadelphia..... Yes tapping is hard, but boring now. Honestly I liked the show better when thier was a group of guys and a group of girls. There really isnt anybody in the finale that is that outrageously good this year. Complete let down. I hope they fix this next year, because I've never been this bored with this show. There isn't one dance, (with the exclusion of Zack, a little?)that covers a huge part of the dance, floor, again, boring, a let down, nothing special, and probably will not watch next year. What a bummer. Looking for a movie on a pay channel instead and turning it off. Jessica and Ricky probably should win, but again, nothing that great, but watch valerie and zack take it cuz they are tapping , They never had tapper winners, guess they are trying to be different. Who cares, they ruined it this year.
  • Facebook's Favorite Dancer

I LOVE SYTYCD. I despise facebook. So as much as I love the show, and want to vote for my favorites, I won't be voting. It is not right to force people to use a service they may not be able to use, or like me, refuse to use, to vote. So I guess this year it will not be America's favorite dancer, but Facebook's favorite dancer who wins. This is just wrong.
  • Hate The New Voting

I have loved SYTYCD since its first debut. I am very disappointed that I cannot vote. I think it is totally absurd that people have to vote via FB. I am one of those individuals who do not have any interest in using FB for my own reasons. Most of everything is done online now days and it is more convenient to vote online instead of a telephone line. I think that a lot of great dancers will lose a lot of votes just because many of us are unable to vote because of the FB challenge. If I am not able to vote for my favorite dancer then what is the reason that I should watch the show. What is the point of even downloading an APP to your phone if you are unable to utilize it, hence you must vote via FaceBook from your cell phone as well. I hope the producers change this method because there are a lot of people who are not in agreement. Did they once think about the older and more mature crowd who don't use social media platforms??? I guess not!!! Signed Old Fashion...
  • I'm annoyed

I'm annoyed with SYTYCD. I find that nowadays, the final 20 is generally Ballet, Contemporary or Jazz dancers. And their definition of "Hip Hop" dance routines is not what Hip hop dancing use to be. And their show revolves around dancers who can dance with a partner. Not every dance style involves a partner. They're are so many people who dance other styles than the three I listed and they're good. But they seem to never make to the final 20 or only one make it from a different dancing category. I still wished Cyrus had won season 9, he was amazing. This show has gotten ridiculous. However, I enjoy watching the auditions.
  • Viewing

I'm all about special lighting for dramatic effects; however, too often the stage is too dark to see the dancers. 'Lighten' it up!!!!!!
  • Trying for ratings

Loved this shows first season, and each year changes that make the show less honest, seeing really great dancers lost to keep lesser ones that help Nigel's vision live is so sad. The Cyrus story was good up until 2 shows ago. Losing me as a fan for sure. Entering the category of other bad reality shows.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9