So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (271)

• TIME TO STOP THE MUSIC! NEW "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE:" LOST THE BEAT, OUT OF STEP, SAD TO WATCH!

As a fan since the first show, I'm truly disappointed at the "hot mess" the new version of "So You Think You Can Dance" has proved to be. I've watched two shows and given up. The idea of two competing categories of "STAGE" and "STREET" undermine the basic premise to showcase dance and encourage all contestants to expand their talents. The competition shouldn't be between styles of dance but between talented dancers learning to perform all styles.

In addition, the new judges are a disaster. I've been surprised to see them laugh at, rather than with some of the contestants. It was humiliating for the audience as well as the young dancer, who performed Ballroom/Hip Hop, to listen to Paula Abdul laughingly mock everything about him before he could even dance. Never seen that kind of treatment to previous contestants. Even Nigel, who is usually sensitive and supportive, failed to help the dancer. Jason Derulo is clearly uncomfortable with evaluating some of the male dancers and even said to one, "you just not my kinda I suspect he protests too much! He has a lot more in common with that contestant than he wants anyone to know. The old fun show full of hopeful contestants, encouraging judges, and great dancing has become one of snarky comments from judges chosen for their "supposed popularity" with no regard for their ability to articulate dance criticism. Twitch would have been a better judge than Jason, and any of the talented choreographers for the show would have been better than Paula Abdul. I prefer to watch reruns of previous seasons when talent was the priority, not being
  • My summer love is gone, gone, gone.

Every summer I look forward to SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I have watched since season 1. I have bought tickets to see the tour every year. I have waited stage door and gotten pictures with the dancers.

No more. I cannot even stand to watch this season. Don't think I have made it through a full episode.

Gone is the witty banter of knowledgeable judges. Gone is the pure celebration of beauty that is dance.

I miss Mary. I even miss the enthusiasm of her screams. I miss the fun and witty banter of judges like Jesse Tyler Furgeson, and Christina Applegate. Heck, I would even take the monotone, expressionless beautiful face of Misty Copeland over Paula Abdul. Misty is a Principal Ballerina . She knows her stuff.

I tried to stay true to you my summer love. But the love is gone. The boredom of a snoozefest remains.

This whole stage VS Street is stupid. It is all about the camaraderie of the dancers, trying different genres and growing throughout the season. I will just have to be happy with memories of golden summers past.

SYTYCD, you have alienated your fan base. I just can't spend time with you anymore. Goodbye.
  • Bring bck Mary Murphy!!!

I miss Mary Murphy. Paula is not a good judge. I have watched So You Think You Can dance since it began, it was always the highlight of my summer TV watching. Not this year! I cannot stand all the street dancing. I will no longer watch.
  • Get rid of Paula and Jason!!

1.5
    FOX?!? What the hell are you doing? Fine that you change the format of SYTYCD. But, Mary Murphy was a core piece of your brand. Getting rid of her and bringing in two sub-par judges in her place and in the place of some exceptional guests like Jesse Tyler Ferguson and some of your top Choreographers was a silly move. Paula cannot complete a coherent sentence. She is confusing and her feedback is not constructive or valuable. Jason may have a little experience with the "street" style, but if he says he would pay money to see one of these dancers or groups of dancers again... i'm going to stop watching. That is the most irritating, condescending statement. Both Paula and Jason are counter to your brand, style, voice, and the fundamental sensibility of your show. They are not respected, interesting, or smart. Paula uses words like "juxtaposition" without having any idea what she means. It's embarrassing.
  • So You Think You Can Street Dance

For years, I have loved this show and looked forward to every summer so I could watch award winning choreography with people who have trained for years and excel in dance. But I detest this new format and I miss Mary Murphy. I feel like the show has turned its back on the qualities that made it so popular, such as its focus on all types of dance, even those that are not typically performed in the current culture. I loved that the top dancer had to be proficient in all types of dance. That is no longer the case and that is so disappointing. The show is so obviously focused on street dancers that I am disgusted. I have continued to watch for the few bright spots with classic dance, but the beauty is destroyed by the angry toughness of street dance. That half of the show is devoted to it is so disappointing. I continue to be disgusted with Nigel's snide dismissal of the concerns of the one dancer who opted not to participate because he rightfully thought the show had lost its focus. I believe this show will just lose more and more viewers and this will be it's last year. I grieve for its loss, not for what it now is, but for what it once was. Shame on the idiot who came up with this horrible format and on the people who agreed to it. You ruined a beautiful show.
  • Most disappointing "dancing" show I've ever watched

As a competitive dancer for 18+ years, I've altered my schedule in order to watch SYTYCD every year until now. The street v stage is the worst move the show could've ever pulled. Street dancing is what Americas Best Dance Cree is for, NOT SYTYCD. I could go on and on about the horrible choices made. 1. Getting rid of Mary Murphy. 2. Addition of mediocre street dancers. 3. Dumbed down choreography to accommodate the street dancers who've never done choreography in their life. 4. Jason derulo. 5. Paula Abdul. 6. Removing lots of Sonya & Travis' choreography. I could Literally go on forever.

Well youve lost 1 viewer here, who used to be absolutely thrilled with your show & watching beautifully trained dancers perform phenomenally. Sad to say this is probably this show's last season. Guess I'll have to rewatch all the old season's episodes now
  • Tuning OUT the new show!

WOW! Who decided to change the show? Big mistake!! Until this year, So You Think You Can Dance was one of my favorites. I only watched episodes 7 and 8 as I did not know you were back on the air until last week. After watching episode 7, I decided to give it one more try so I watched episode 8. Unfortunately, that episode was just as bad. I will no longer watch a show I previously looked forward to.

I still like Cat!! I like Nigel some of the time; however, I did not like Nigel complaining about the viewers negative comments regarding Street versus Stage. I am one of the viewers who does not like this change. I do not like the costumes thus far either. Paula has provided some helpful feedback to the dancers, but I really miss the always fun Mary Murphy.

How about returning the show to its former glory? If you do this, I will watch once again.

Thank you for listening.

• So you think you can laugh at dancers 2

I totally agree with everything that was said by nmsblais, on Jun 03, 2015 for Mondays episode where Jaden Zierra from Orlando, Florida auditioned. I felt insutled and disgust with how all three judges showed such disrespect and so little focus on his audition. Especially Paula. I am very suprised that Nigel took part in it. You can see in his face how humiliated he felt that at one point he almost walked away but still kept his dignity and poise and audtioned. If Mary Murphey was there I believe he would have been given a ticket. I may not be a judge but I think he did good enough to get a ticket and he brought something new to the table. He should be called back and apologized too and given a ticket for this lack of professionalism that I have never seen before on the show.
  • FB ONLY voting unfair, but then voters & judges lack integrity regardless so perhaps a moot point

5.5
    We've watched for years, the voting always downright annoying. This year tops the cake with online/app voting only available via FB. Sorry to the many talented individuals who won't get votes from discriminate viewers. And couldn't agree more regarding the camera. We want to watch the dancers not how creative the video crew can get. August 13 proved it's yet another tragic season. Clearly voters don't vote based on talent. Without question there is NO way Tanisha and Rudy should have been let go this week. Consistently strong, constantly growing and always beyond impressive. And we're very tired of listening to the judges and their inconsistent remarks between contestants. Outside of the dancers, the show itself is falling prey to the substandard reality TV mediocrity. Such a shame indeed but this show will likely be on the chopping block!
  • Much Prefer the Older Format

I'm disappointed at the way the Street vs. Stage idea is working out. The choreography seems skewed toward street dancers. Especially the routine by Tovaris seemed to accommodate untrained dancers, and I'm generally finding the routines to be "dumbed down" and boring. I think in the past that it's been very exciting to see a street dancer, such as Twitch, rise to the difficult level of choreography. This year, however, the choreography seems to be sinking to the level of the untrained dancers. I hope that the old system will be implemented again next year. That having been said, I truly love what SYTYCD brings to television entertainment and look forward to it every year. Thanks, Nigel, for keeping it going!
  • What a terrible shame.......

I LOVED THIS SHOW - I can't believe whats happened. Its impossible to follow what is happening - where's the dance? The group numbers are terrible, seem under rehearsed and none of the contestants shine. Its like a different show. 2 teams? It makes no sense. You can either dance or you can't. Popping ain't dancing when its all you can do. And the judges - well what a hot mess. Paula Abdul - please.... In her day - fine, but now not so much, she is so inarticulate. PLEASE someone save this show.
  • I hate this new season

We have watched from Epidode One and we always arranged our schedule around the show. I hate what they have done this season?? No couples, no chemistry, big groups you can't even connect with? Half street show? We loved seeing street dancers do star and vice versa?? We are done watching this show and we are really heartbroken over this season?? Awful costumes, awful sets and lighting, and the routines are terrible:/( PLEASE bring back the show we all loved !!!!
  • The New Format Sucks!

I have watched every show since season 1 and am about to call it quits. The costumes are horrible, but that is not the worst of it. The lighting is overdone and the constantly moving camera makes it impossible to see the dancers. Sometimes you only see half the stage, missing whatever else goes on at the other end. How can we judge the contestants when we barely see them. Please, go back to the old format !!!! Pretty please!
  • What a shame

Used to love this show. Now I feel like I am watching a dance recital instead of so you think you can dance. Miss the contestants connecting with each other and learning and growing in dance styles. Group dances are weak and judges say nothing but fluff. Yuk.
  • Hate It!!

Watched every previous season and didn't miss one show. This season is horrible. Nigel looks and absolutely should be uncomfortable. Paula and Jason are way out of their element. The entire premise is a total disaster. I'm truly sorry to say I'll not watch another show nor will my mate. We completely agree with gaydiplomat.
  • Please stop the annoying camera man! He is moving the camera around too much!!!!!!!!

Please stop the camera man! He is hijacking the program by constantly moving the camera around! We just want to see the dancers and the beautiful choreography! The camera is so distracting and annoying!!!!!! Help!!!!!
  • 10 year celebration.. Insulting??

I have watched every show since season 1 and I find it absolutely insulted by this 1 hour fly by of s free past routines while Fox shamelessly spends more time plugging the next show instead of celebrating the wonderful, wonderful dancers that have graced their stages over the past 10 seasons! They truly deserved more respect than was given tonight!
  • Make It Stop!

This season is just terrible. I've been a fan since Season 2 and I've never been so disappointed. I hate the new Stage v. Street format, cannot STAND the new judge lineup and the costumes are just awful. The camera work sucks, and honestly this group of dancers just generally feels weaker to me; there is no one who stands out, no one even seems like they have the chops to win. Even the routines seem uninspired, I mean the "Club ChaCha"? Asaf just stood there! Can't stand the 3 person routines and I really miss Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Christina Applegate. I just hope this isn't the last season because it would sucks for them to go out this way.

• Horrible season!

I am so disappointed by this season! This has always been my summer "guilty pleasure"' but I don't even care if I watch ! The threesomes are horrible! None of the chemistry that the couples had in he past. It is hard to watch. Whose idea was this new format! Nigel! Bad bad idea. I also miss the guest judges. Why did you mess with something that was working? Jason is horrible. He just echoes what everyone else says. Even Cat is getting on my nerves.

• And where was Sonya ?????

Last night's 10 years sytycd celebration left one HUGE hole, the non-mentioning altogether of the great routines designed by SONYA (sorry I don't know her last name). Her routines were hands-down the most imaginative throughout sytycd's existence. WHO CENSORED THIS BROADCAST TO EXCLUDE HER?
  • Hate The New Voting

I have loved SYTYCD since its first debut. I am very disappointed that I cannot vote. I think it is totally absurd that people have to vote via FB. I am one of those individuals who do not have any interest in using FB for my own reasons. Most of everything is done online now days and it is more convenient to vote online instead of a telephone line. I think that a lot of great dancers will lose a lot of votes just because many of us are unable to vote because of the FB challenge. If I am not able to vote for my favorite dancer then what is the reason that I should watch the show. What is the point of even downloading an APP to your phone if you are unable to utilize it, hence you must vote via FaceBook from your cell phone as well. I hope the producers change this method because there are a lot of people who are not in agreement. Did they once think about the older and more mature crowd who don't use social media platforms??? I guess not!!! Signed Old Fashion...
  • Best Dance Talent!

This is not like other casting shows. This is a television show for those who enjoy helping people with their passion, their expression, and to watch serious judges get down to business. Pressure, lights, camera, and talent! Great music selections!!!!!
  • So VERY sad!!

SYTYCD has always been my favorite reality show. It was something to look forward to every summer when so many shows are on hiatus. Now Monday nights are so sad, because I remember how excited I always was that SYTYCD came on Mondays. (Even my husband loved the show, and now he gets up and walks I simply don't understand FOX. First they took it down from a 2-night a week show to one night which totally changed the anticipation of who would be leaving the show, and crammed it all into one night. Then, they hired cameramen who are more interested in doing something creative with the camera than focusing on the dancers. It is so very frustrating to try and watch the dancers with the cameras jumping around constantly. The focus should be on the DANCERS!! Now they have hired boring new judges and changed the format. I am assuming the new format is the reason so many of the good choreographers have jumped ship. Now the routines are "dumbed down" to accommodate the untrained street dancers. The threesomes make it impossible for there to be any emotional connection, and the levels of ability of the three dancers never are even, so no one is ever together and the routines are lack-luster. The robot routine last night was the only routine I have seen all season that was great, and it was because it was hip-hop, the stage dancer had training in it, and there were only two people in it! Basically it was the only dance similar to the previous years that we all loved so much! I have never been a fan of Dancing with the Stars because I compared it to the level of dancing in SYTYCD, but I watched it this year because Allison Holker was on it, and I have long been a fan of hers since SYTYCD. Yes, I fast-forwarded past a lot of the silly ones they have on the show, but at least the cameras let you see the dance routine, and it's a shame to recognize that untrained celebrities did a better job than most of the dancers on SYTYCD this summer. It's so unfair to the kids who have trained so hard not to get to show off their chops. Please bring back beauty to dancing and entertain us on these long, hot summer nights!! FOX wake up, fire whoever you put in charge of SYTYCD, and get back to the winning show you had!!!
  • whose stupid idea was it to change the format?

1.5
    I have loved this show from the first season. I am REALLY hating the new season. I don't like that they don't have couples anymore. It is hard to tell who is even dancing. I really miss Mary, the show is not the same without her. Nigel should have his head examined for thinking this was a better way to go. Not sure if I will even watch any more.
  • Sooooo disappointed!

I really look forward to watching this show every season. It is so disappointing this new format. I actually miss Mary screaming in Nigel's ear! She brought so much enthusiasm to the show! Adam Shankman is the bomb! Paula talks in staccato. It's really hard to listen to her talk. And the costumes are soooooo boring!!! Where did all the sparkles and glamour go? It's all dark fabric, and jumbled patchy fabric all over the body. And I agree with everyone that the camera angles are horrible and are all over the place. It's so hard to concentrate on the dance as a whole. Sooooo disappointed! Please someone from the show respond to our concerns!
  • So you think you can cry

This show used to be my favorite show. For 9 seasons I watched avidly. Now it is a shame. I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am. From the terrible choice of judges to the new ridiculous format of street vs stage. This show is horrible. I am sad to say that I am now looking forward to dancing with the stars as the premier dancing show on network television. In spite of dancing with the stars pageantry and fakeness ... It is now more authentic than so you think you can dance. I cannot believe what I am saying but sytycd has lost its authenticity... It's beauty ... I am crying tears of disappointment. There is no possibility for the best dancer to win. In what universe do you get rid of Darion and keep some of the dancers that were saved this week.
  • I'm soooooo sad........

Just like most of the reviews I've read, I too looked forward to this show every year. It was one of my favorite shows, never missed an episode, until now. This is absolutely AWFUL!!! I've been trying to give it a chance but I can't even get thru 1 episode without turning it off. It's not that I don't like the street dancing, it's just that I miss all the other dance styles & choreography.

I can only hope that enough of the people who are extremely disappointed will voice their opinions in hopes that they will go back to the original format. So if you are reading this and feel the same, please post your thoughts. I want the "So You Think You Can Dance" that I fell in love with, back!!!!

But, for now, I am taking it off my list of shows to record. Good-bye
  • Camera work sucks

We agree with most of the other reviewers who have taken the time to try to help this show get back on track. We could forgive some of the misguided directions they have taken but the camera work is the worst. Do they realize the dancers use their whole bodies not just their heads or upper torso? Additionally the choerography is generally meant to be viewed from the front not the side or back. The dancers provide the movement we do not need the camera trying to create movement. Nigel where's Mary !!!
  • All NEW Facebooks favorite Dancer! FB voting sucks

5.5
    I can no longer participate in the voting because of FB. What a shame. The show itself is still great, but the voting was an important part of enjoying the show. Made you feel as if you were participating.

Now just call it "Facebooks Favorite Dancer" and leave America out of it.

• very disappointed

Not really liking this year so far. I don't mind the stage vs street. what I don't like is how they are not in couples. really HATE the 'threesomes' and 'foursomes'.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10